Become a Patron!

Anthony Vapes: Desire Cut Squonk Mod Tech Review

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Hi All, Anthony Vapes back here with my review of Desire Cut Squonk Mod. Please see bottom for disclaimers and links.

Introduction:
The Desire Cut Squonk Mod is the latest mod from longtime vape manufacturer Desire Designs. Mostly known for their RDA like the yuri, mad dog, and rabies, Desire has began making mods this year and with the cut, they aimed to fill a need in the squonk market. The Cut is a single battery squonk mod that can take a 21700, 20700, and 18650 (with included adapter) wrapped up in a solid package with a unique design. It’s available in 4 colors Purple, Red, Black, and White. Looking around online I see them for 60-70 USD on various sites.

Manufacturer's Specs: Mod
  • Size: 86mm x 45mm x 33mm
  • Battery: Single 21700/20700/18650 battery(Not included)
  • Power range: 5-108W
  • Output current: 35A
  • Output voltage: 0.5-8V
  • Resistance range: 0.08ohm-3.0ohm
  • Temperature limit: 200-600℉
  • Screen: 0.96-inch
  • Thread: 510 thread
  • New CUT 108W-Chip
  • State breath display lamp
  • 0.96 inch screen display
  • 7ml large juice squonk bottle
  • Maximum output of 108W
Included in box:
  • 1x Desire Cut Squonk MOD
  • 1x USB Cable
  • 1x 18650 battery adapter
  • 1x Manual
  • 1x Warranty Card
Picture Album
album

Initial Impressions and features
When I first got this Mod, i was pretty impressed with the build quality. It’s quite heavy and a solid metal mod that’s night and day from the normal 3d printed box style mods or even the thinner metal ones like the VTinbox. This mod has some heft too it for sure. It’s also a different shape and size from many single battery squonk mods who all use a similar layout. I expected it to be bigger since it can handle a 21700 battery but it’s not bulky. It’s just a taller and thinner shape with 5 sides to it instead of the normal 4 sides of a mod that is rectangular-ish. It’s a very comfy design that feels nice in the hand and has a good size screen on it. One of the largest i’ve seen from a squonk mod. Overall I was pretty happy with it from the start

Watt Mode Performance
Now let’s get into some data. I ran my normal testing. I used the ijoy 5 leg 20700 batteries for the testing. Testing resistances were done at .12, .15, .2, and .65 ohms. wattage points were max (108), 80, 60, 40, and 20. At .12 ohms it maxed out at 94 watts and 28 amps. For the rest of the testing it was pretty accurate 2-3 watts weak at 60 or less and 8 watts weak at 80. Pretty normal for single battery mods to hit a little weak at this resistance At .15 it maxed out at 107 watts. The rest were pretty good again hitting high 1-5 watts. For the .2 test it maxed out at 112 watts. Again pretty accurate but a little on the high side 2-4 watts. For the .65 testing it maxed out at 101 watts and 8.1 volts. For the rest of the testing 1-8 watts high. The volts shows there is a boost circuit like most single battery mods.

Overall I felt the performance of this mod was good. It’s mostly just a few watts high never more than 5 or 6 really but usually just a couple watts high and with the really low .12 ohm build a few watts low. Pretty damn accurate when compared with other squonk mods and right on par with the VT inbox and pulse 80w mods i tested and a little better than the RSQ. I was able to get 112 watts max, so I consider it to be accurately rated at 108 watts. The 8.1 volt limit shows there is a boost circuit. Their site lists the max Volts at 8V which is an accurate rating. They list an amp limit of 35 on their site, The max i got is 28 which makes it a little overrated but right on par with most single battery mods where the amp limit is between 25-30 on average so no complaints there. The watt curve mode also works very good as well and is a nice feature only found in 1 other squonker with the pulse 80w.

Simplified TLDR Power Performance summary
Mod performance is really good. Mostly hits just a few watts off on the high side similar to the pulse 80w mod, but a little on the low side for a .12 ohm or lower build. Accurately rated for watts (112), amp limit 28 which is average for single battery mods but a little short of the 35 listed. Volts tested at 8.1 so yes boost circuit as most single battery mods are and meets their 8V posted limit

Temperature Control Performance
Using SS316 wire and both SS mode and TCR mode, I tested 6 builds. 1 simple round spaced, 1 simple round dual, 2 medium to large fancy single coils builds, and 2 medium to large fancy dual coil builds. The default mode is way too anemic. Even turning it all the way up was a poor vape. So i went to TCR mode and played around with the TCR values to find what felt correct. I found 130 to be the best TCR for SS316 on this mod instead of the technically correct values of 88-92. With a TCR set at 130 i was able to get a good vape mostly consistently. 460F provides a warm vape as it should and most vapers will find their preferred temp in the 400-480F range. Dry hit protection is great on this mod and the throttle is nice and smooth. No non DNA squonk mods have been good at TC really and not many that can take a 21700 battery so i do have to grade it on a curve a bit and consider the temp control to be good enough provided you use TCR mode and the 130 value for SS316 wire. You can get a good vape with some tweaking but it’s still a little inconsistent, and as of now that’s the best we have on the market in non DNA squonkers. You can also adjust the power in TC mode as well to change ramp up which works well and has no power limit in TC mode. It’s not something i’d recommend for temp control however, but no worse off than any other non DNA squonker i’ve reviewed and actually a bit better than most.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Other Usage Notes
The mod uses a 5 click to turn on and off. The menu system is a bit old and outdated and similar to the popular wismec RX series mods. There isn’t a dedicated menu, You use 3 clicks to enter menu mode where it highlights things on the screen you can adjust. Use up to cycle modes or down to highlight things on the screen you can change then use up to adjust them after and fire to exit. It’s really a poor outdated system and for a mod released in 2018 it should have a simple real menu system that is intuitive. I mean it works, but should be much better. Click fire 4 times to turn the LED light which is a white desire logo under the screen. It toggles between always on and only on when firing. No true off and no color customization. I would have lied to see more options for the LED as well as an always off. If you include one, might as well go all out. Setting the TCR memories (3 total) is annoying. You need to turn the mod off then hold right and fire to enter the TCR settings. With the mod on, down and fire restes the puff counter and right and fire locks resistance. The mod features VW watt mode but no preheat options however has a full watt curve mode which is nice. Temp control mode for Ni200, SS, and Ti as well as TCR mode (2 memory slots). The mod adjusts by .1 watt increments. I would have preferred full watt personally.

The mod itself is build solid with no rattle on the buttons, and has a solid feel and nice weight to it. The Battery door is a standard magnetic backplate. It fits nice with no play on it. The battery door is solid metal as well. It’s easy to get batteries in and out without damaging wraps and takes a single battery with options of a 21700, 20700, or 18650 with the included adapter. Really nice battery tray however some 21700 batteries can be a little bit of a tight squeeze to get in. The paint looks nice and doesn't scratch off, and i have no visible wear. The fire button is nice and and clicky but a little on the small side. It’s the desire logo. The 510 pin gave me no issues and every atomizer i used on it worked great with no gaps but is off center. The mod can handle a 25 mm atomizer easily without overhang but not a 30mm which is more than enough as i can’t imagine using a 30mm RDA on a single battery mod. The screen is a a good size .96 inch square screen that is nice and bright and easy to see but only black and white. They list an amp rate of 1A for the charging but it’s recommended you don’t charge internally on mods anyway.

Squonk System
The Desire cut comes with a 7 ml capacity bottle which is a nice size. It’s a nice clear silicone bottle with an excellent firmness to it. Just the way you want the bottle to be. The threading on the cap is nice and smooth as well and it’s easy to take out and put in the mod. It worked great for me with no leaking issues. They don’t include a spare which i wish they would have. But it is a standard squonk system so many bottles will fit into it you can find online and i’m sure they will offer them sold seperate as well. No complaints with the squonk system outside of the lack of a spare bottle being included. I also tried to fit a purple pulse 80w bottle in it to match which looks quite nice but it was slightly too tall to fit.

Pros:
  • Build Quality
  • color options
  • nice paint job
  • nice unique design
  • very ergonomic and comfy to hold
  • no button rattle
  • Power mode performance
  • watt curve mode
  • nice fire button
  • Accurately rated for watts
  • Accurately rated for volts
  • batteries are mostly easy to get in and out without damaging wraps
  • nice 510 pin
  • nice sized .96” bright screen
  • nice battery trey and magnetic backplate
  • good squonk system and bottle
  • takes 2170, 20700, and 18650 batteries
  • good enough TC mode in a thin market
Cons:
  • TC is only good when tweaked enough but inconsistent. Use TCR 130 for SS
  • overrated amp limit (but still average for a single battery mod)
  • no spare bottle included
  • some 21700 batteries are a tight squeeze to get in
  • outdated not intuitive menu system
  • lack of LED options
Conclusion
So with all that said, do I recommend this mod or not? I don’t like to do the yes or no, but for this i’m going to have to lean towards the yes for sure. Not many single battery squonkers on the market that can take a 21700 battery and in the slim market this is one of the best options if not the best. I do have my fair share of cons, but most can be overlooked due to the lack of options for an affordable well build 21700 squonk mod. I would love to see an updated V2 someday with the cons fixed however but for now, this is pretty much as good as it gets. I’ll be adding this to my sheet of recs for a power mode squonk mod.

This is Anthony Vapes just keeping it honest, hopefully you all can say the same and i’ll catch you on my next review. Also next week i’ll be doing my best of list so far in 2018 as well as having a huge giveaway as well so stay tuned for that!

Product Disclaimer
This product was sent to me from Desire Design

Review Disclaimer
Due to possible QC difference your experience may vary.

Reviewer Disclaimer
I’ve been doing vape reviews since late 2016 and have done around 200 reviews to date. I enjoy helping vapers on forums as well and helping contribute to the great vape community. I’m not an “out of the box” reviewer. I do my best to be thorough at all times and have enough experience with many products to tell what’s good and what’s not. All mods get tested with an oscilloscope and stress tested and results are posted in my reviews.

Recommendations and Past Review Links
written reviews list here

Youtube Channel here

Spreadhseet of Recommendations here

Best of 2018 so far list here

Best of 2017 list here

VU Sponsors