Become a Patron!

Annoyed with Taifun GT 2s

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For the passed year, I have been rocking a Squape R clone that I absolutely love. The flavor is great, and the build is extremely easy. But over the last couple of weeks it's been leaking from the base constantly. Not from the air hole, or the 510 pin. I'm not even sure where from.
So I picked up a Hotcig Taifun GT 2s. My first impression was that t was pretty easy to build, on, and it doesn't leak a drop. But the flavor is so muted it is almost unbearable.

After 2 weeks of using nothing but this tank, I am getting a little annoyed at how fast I am ruining coils. With my Squape R, I gunked up coils every 3-5 days. But with the Taifun, I need to rewick or rebuild every other day.

I know this has more to due with the juice, but does anyone know of a good fix to even get a few more days out of my coils?

SteamBlower

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Lack of flavour is my impression of the GT2 aswell, tried a number of different builds, but never got it to perfom to my satisfaction. Broke the bellcap a few days ago, will not be getting a replacment.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's frustrating, because I really want and RTA with only single coil build capability. My squape leaks, but has the best flavor, my Kayfun 4 shorts out constantly, and my Taifun has no flavor. What tanks have you used that seem to work?

I may suck it up and get an authentic Squape, but I'm not eve sure that will solve all the problems. Plus Vaperev only seems to sell the shorty tank. I would like more juice capacity to carry around.

I have my subtank mini v2, but they accidentally sent it to me with the v1 RBA deck and refuse to replace it. So I'm out of luck there. And I'm not thrilled with the RBA section of my Silo Beast. It just doesn't have the airflow I like, even with the slots wide open

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Cthulhu v2 has a single coil deck option and the Lemo 2 is a single coil.. just other choices ;)

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've been temped to get the Lemo 2, but I've also heard that the fill hole is kind of small for some bottle tips. I try to use thin ones, but I'd like to see it in action before putting down some money. Unfortunately, I'm the only one of my friends who build their own anything, so no one can show me their products. But the raves that the Lemo gets may be enough to make me try it sight unseen

Emberwilde

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
the fill hole is to small for an eyedropper, but my unicorn bottles work perfect.. just as a point of reference

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have 2 of these Hotcigs TF GT-S V2 RTAs (sku 2172500) that I bought from FT and the flavor is great. My suggestions...

1. Take the whole thing apart completely and clean it very well with Dawn (accept no substitutes!) and hot water 3 times. Hotcig RTAs seem to have something on them that I can't smell but I can taste it and it mutes the flavor. I don't know if it's machining oil. I cannot smell it, but it's there.

2. This tank's flavor is best at about 1 ohm. I build with 26 AWG kanthal 2.5mm diameter between 0.8 and 1.0 ohms. This is definitely not a sub-ohm tank by any means.

3. Make sure the coil is no more than about 2mm from the air uptake hole.

OneBadWolf

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I've been temped to get the Lemo 2, but I've also heard that the fill hole is kind of small for some bottle tips. I try to use thin ones, but I'd like to see it in action before putting down some money. Unfortunately, I'm the only one of my friends who build their own anything, so no one can show me their products. But the raves that the Lemo gets may be enough to make me try it sight unseen

I got the GF one for Christmas, and its made a builder out of her. I was suprised at how good it was, the flavor, and vapor are not the best I've ever seen, but very good. It has to be the most easy thing to build there is. Like a Kayfun 3.1 that grew and grew and grew. To somebody that has had to take their atty off their mod, remove their driptip, find a place to put the base so it won't fall or roll or roll and fall, the side fill is much more convienant. i'd have prefferred it to be a little bigger, but its loads easier than my Goliath V2 to fill. Not an issue like I thought it would be.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you like the taifun2 try the hurricane. It's fairly similar in characteristics but the flavor is much better.
Also the aquav2, out of every rta I've had (which is a fair amount) the aquav2 has the best flavor of anything. It's also able to run as either a mouth to lung or a restrictive lung hit. Deal breaker for you with the aqua 2 is that it's primarily a dual coil tank. There is a way to run it in single coil, but that tends to flood.
Edit: Another good option for single coil too full is the serpant. That with a single Clapton coil is pretty kick ass. I just got it the other day and for 30$ you really can't go wrong.

Last edited:

eSMOKA

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Baba Fats, I hear that the Lemo 2 is discontinued so if you want one, you'd better make up your mind.

Not sure if what I heard was true, though.

nangka1

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
5031e6941f4f301142365e5965a26570.jpg

My daily vape is the kayfun monster v2.
Love it.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Toolsavvy, I build mine with 28g kanthal around a 3mm screwdriver. Typically that gives me 1.15 a 1.2 ohms. I do prefer it to be closer to 1.1, but it doesn't always work out that way. I've tried using 26g and a smaller diameter but. It came out around 0.8 ohms, but the flavor was no less muted, and I ended up getting dry but after dry hit. Something that never happens at all with my normal build. How do you sick yours with that setup?

skiibo4200

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm selling an almost new Lemo 2 15$ in hardware thread. Works great never had it leak and the flavor is better then other sub tanks I've tryed like Kay fun or delta 2, I've never had a problem with the top fill. Works great and fits 30ml drippers with ease.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If you like the taifun2 try the hurricane. It's fairly similar in characteristics but the flavor is much better.
Also the aquav2, out of every rta I've had (which is a fair amount) the aquav2 has the best flavor of anything. It's also able to run as either a mouth to lung or a restrictive lung hit. Deal breaker for you with the aqua 2 is that it's primarily a dual coil tank. There is a way to run it in single coil, but that tends to flood.
Edit: Another good option for single coil is the serpant. That with a single Clapton coil is pretty kick ass. I just got it the other day and for 30$ you really can't go wrong.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Best rta I've had is the pico. I rock a 26 SS coil with my sx mini. Best flavor I've had from a RTA and I've had them all. The authenic is expensive I paid almost $170 shipped but the clone is just as good. The 3fvape Clone with the pei tank is the one you want.

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

Superjeep

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's frustrating, because I really want and RTA with only single coil build capability. My squape leaks, but has the best flavor, my Kayfun 4 shorts out constantly, and my Taifun has no flavor. What tanks have you used that seem to work?

I may suck it up and get an authentic Squape, but I'm not eve sure that will solve all the problems. Plus Vaperev only seems to sell the shorty tank. I would like more juice capacity to carry around.

I have my subtank mini v2, but they accidentally sent it to me with the v1 RBA deck and refuse to replace it. So I'm out of luck there. And I'm not thrilled with the RBA section of my Silo Beast. It just doesn't have the airflow I like, even with the slots wide open

Your kayfun 4 shouldnt be shorting like that. Have you checked the spring in the base? Also is it with temp control that your having the issue? There is a fix for the kayfun 4 with temp control and a vid on youtube where ya take the spring out and flip the middle around to make solid constant connection. Just an fyi if ya like how it vapes.

VaperJedi

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
For the passed year, I have been rocking a Squape R clone that I absolutely love. The flavor is great, and the build is extremely easy. But over the last couple of weeks it's been leaking from the base constantly. Not from the air hole, or the 510 pin. I'm not even sure where from.
So I picked up a Hotcig Taifun GT 2s. My first impression was that t was pretty easy to build, on, and it doesn't leak a drop. But the flavor is so muted it is almost unbearable.

After 2 weeks of using nothing but this tank, I am getting a little annoyed at how fast I am ruining coils. With my Squape R, I gunked up coils every 3-5 days. But with the Taifun, I need to rewick or rebuild every other day.

I know this has more to due with the juice, but does anyone know of a good fix to even get a few more days out of my coils?

I have a squape-R clone with the same problem. I realized that it's leaking from the airflow control ring. Instead of it going all the way out the airflow, it drops into the small gap in the control ring, and spreads all over the base. I figured this out by vaping it one day without the ring, and it leaked slowly out the air intake. My squape is just an ornament/spare parts now. as much as I wanted it to work, I have given up on the Statqualm designs and went with... The Taifun GT2.

To me, this is the next best thing. Great flavor and easy to rebuild.. no leaks. But, it's one problem is.... it is a slow wicking atomizer. I find my Taifun doesn't keep up with the vaping demand, and constantly runs dry. I run a high VG based ejuice. the best thing I can suggest is.... less cotton, and bring the coil down to the air intake as low as you can get it. the less it has to travel up, the better. If it still doesn't keep up, I unscrew the base like I was going to refill it, then screwit back.. I do this without turning it upsidown first, and I only unscrew it like 1/2 a turn. that's enough to rewick it.

As far as the gunking problem... it's just your juice. I go for a month on a coil before I need to dry-burn it clean.. then I can go for another month. cotton gets changed from time to time just because the cotton discolors from heat.

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've noticed that the problem with my Squape is just that. I am working with trying to wick it well enough so it stops, and it's been pretty good for the past few days.

With the Taifun, I try to not have any cotton stick out of the juice holes. What I do is trim the wick so that about 1mm is stick out on each side. Then I fold it all into the barrel. When I fluff it up, I get it pressed up against the slots, but not out of them. Once I put the cap back on, I only screw it on until the o-ring is just below the rim. I get no leaking, and almost no dry hits when I chain vape

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Your kayfun 4 shouldn't be shorting like that. Have you checked the spring in the base? Also is it with temp control that your having the issue? There is a fix for the kayfun 4 with temp control and a vid on youtube where ya take the spring out and flip the middle around to make solid constant connection. Just an fyi if ya like how it vapes.

It's shorting out because the screw inside the base won't stay tightened. It's not a flaw in the tank. Just in the one I happened to get, and eciggity wouldn't replace it for me. Annoying, but nothing I have against the design. In fact, I loved it when I first got it, before the problem started. I love the airflow on it, so I might pick up another at some point

@dre: I like the look of the Pico, but it doesn't look like it holds as much juice as I'd like.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's shorting out because the screw inside the base won't stay tightened. It's not a flaw in the tank. Just in the one I happened to get, and eciggity wouldn't replace it for me. Annoying, but nothing I have against the design. In fact, I loved it when I first got it, before the problem started. I love the airflow on it, so I might pick up another at some point

@dre: I like the look of the Pico, but it doesn't look like it holds as much juice as I'd like.
Holds 3ml which at 26-32w last a good half day about 250 2 second hits

Sent from my Droid Turbo 2 using Tapatalk

Baba Fats

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
That's just it. I don't take 2 second hits. I take more like 7-10 second hits. And as it stands, 3ml's in any of my current tanks only lasts me a few hours at 14watts I fill 5ml tanks 3-4 times a day, and I use 4 different tanks each day. I go through around 20ml/day.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Have you tried swapping out the base of the kf4?
If not unscrew it and in the very base there's a plastic insulator that the nut sits in, push both out by pushing a small flathead through the 510. Reseat the nut inside of the insulator and put it back in. When you reassemble make sure that plastic insulator stays against the very bottom.
That little pos Insulator is a pain in rooster.
If you watch busardos 2hour gush fest and see how he swaps to the p3 base you'll have an idea what im talking about. It's the same process only you're just disassembling and reassembling the same piece.
While you have it apart it might be a good idea to tighten everything else up also. I know it sounds like a bunch of work but it's not that bad.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors