Become a Patron!

American Vaping Association Responds to R.J. Reynolds’ Attempt To Ban Most E-Cigarettes

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
http://vaping.info/ava-rj-reynolds-ban-e-cigarettes
WASHINGTON D.C., Sept. 2, 2014 – The American Vaping Association, a leading advocate for the health benefits of e-cigarettes, criticized Big Tobacco giant R.J. Reynolds for attempting to ban most e-cigarettes in comments made to the Food & Drug Administration, which is mistakenly considering classifying e-cigarettes as tobacco products.

R.J. Reynolds asked the government to ban “open-system,” or reusable, e-cigarettes, as well as e-cigarette liquid products and many flavor varieties.

Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, which represents America’s independent manufacturers and retailers of e-cigarettes, issued the following statement:

“R.J. Reynolds’ call for the FDA to ban the majority of e-cigarette products should be seen for what it really is — an admission by R.J. Reynolds that it simply cannot compete in the current e-cigarette market. Recent market reports show that while sales of open-system e-cigarette products and e-liquid are booming, sales of closed-system cigarette lookalikes – the kind that R.J. Reynolds sells — have stagnated.

“R.J. Reynolds’ corporate motto is ‘Transform Tobacco.’ But instead of holding to its core values and transforming itself from a tobacco company into a technology company, R.J. Reynolds would prefer the federal government simply ban most of its competitors.

“Surveys of e-cigarette users have consistently demonstrated that vapers who use refillable open-system products are far more likely to be smoke-free than are those who use closed system products that are designed to resemble and taste like cigarettes.

“Banning e-cigarette products while leaving deadly combustible cigarettes, like those sold by R.J. Reynolds, on the market would be a disaster for public health. In a country where more than 40 million people still smoke and some 400,000 die from smoking-related diseases annually, advanced e-cigarette products are needed.

“We also encourage the Federal Trade Commission to consider R.J. Reynolds’ eagerness to see its competitors banned in deciding whether to approve a proposed merger between R.J. Reynolds and fellow tobacco company Lorillard,” Conley added.

You can learn more about the AVA and vaping by visiting the AVA website.

Polite way of telling R.J. Reynolds to sit on it and rotate :p

Nice

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I really like how the AVA has been voicing the facts. The last press release from them in The Hill, was also spot on, and very well written. For my money they get more done than the other political vaping advocate that people throw money at.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Gregory Conley, president of the American Vaping Association, which represents America’s independent manufacturers and retailers of e-cigarettes, issued the following statement:

“R.J. Reynolds’ call for the FDA to ban the majority of e-cigarette products should be seen for what it really is — an admission by R.J. Reynolds that it simply cannot compete in the current e-cigarette market. Recent market reports show that while sales of open-system e-cigarette products and e-liquid are booming, sales of closed-system cigarette lookalikes – the kind that R.J. Reynolds sells — have stagnated.

“R.J. Reynolds’ corporate motto is ‘Transform Tobacco.’ But instead of holding to its core values and transforming itself from a tobacco company into a technology company, R.J. Reynolds would prefer the federal government simply ban most of its competitors.

Yeah, I've known this was coming ever since it was discussed on a few financial websites almost a year ago.
Corporate tobacco just sees us as something to be gobbled up and "integrated"...and thanks ever so much for opening the market for them.

Just like the local company that helped pioneer gigabit ethernet in the 1990s...nobody's heard of 'em. Because they were bought out.

http://articles.latimes.com/1997/jul/14/business/fi-12613

http://www.eetimes.com/document.asp?doc_id=1211487

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
posted in bad news, I'm late on it.
Bad news that Big Tobacco is greedy as ever, Good news that we have a great guy like Greg Conley and his newly formed AVA on our side fighting this:)

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
Agreed, and he is getting shit done!
Yes he is.
He was my favorite guy when he was on Casaa's board.
then when he left and became a research fellow at the heartland institute I became even more impressed.
Now that he created the AVA he will surely be known in 75 years as one of the pioneers of the great people who put in motion the end of the tobacco/lung cancer epidemic!!!

This guy is going places. At this pace there is no telling were he will be in 30 years!

BigNasty

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yes he is.
He was my favorite guy when he was on Casaa's board.
then when he left and became a research fellow at the heartland institute I became even more impressed.
Now that he created the AVA he will surely be known in 75 years as one of the pioneers of the great people who put in motion the end of the tobacco/lung cancer epidemic!!!

This guy is going places. At this pace there is no telling were he will be in 30 years!
Overlord of all that was once known as vaping?

EthelMaltol

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Greg is my favorite hero! Not to mention he is handsome as heck! :) I like him for his brain, too!

VU Sponsors