Become a Patron!

Alcohol based flavorings or PG (or)VG based flavorings?

Kiaya611

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I have vaped for almost 2 years now and wanted to start making my own e-liquid. I have found some company's e-liquid quite good, but it seems that i always want a bit of a change, plus it will save me a lot of money and being on a fixed income, that is something I am always interested in.

I have been looking around at various flavoring companies and have found that some use an alcohol base. I have never used any alcohol in my e-liquid. First, I would like to know if using alcohol based flavorings has any inherent problems associated with it and was then wondering if there are any mixing precautions, etc. necessary when using an alcohol based flavoring when making e-liquid.

This is a total "newbie" question, but I need to know if I should stay away from alcohol based flavorings or if they are as easy to work with as say a PG based flavoring.

What I am looking for are very strong flavorings so that I don't have to use a high percentage of flavoring to achieve my goal flavor. Everything I have made so far is rather bland because I have been using things like triple-strength pre-made e-liquids as flavorings and although it works to a degree, I am sure that isn't the way to go. I have only made one batch that is still not perfected yet and I tend to like minty and menthol flavorings as well as cinnamon types of flavorings. I was going to try blueberry because my brother-in-law vapes blueberry and I thought I could make him some as well. My sister and nephew also vape and I am interested in making e-liquid for everyone because ironically we are all (with the exception of my brother-in-law disabled and have limited funds.

Anyway, I wold appreciate your help in figuring out the best way to go about this as I have the VP and PG and Nic and the calculator and a nicotine test kit, to be on the safe side. Like I mentioned, I did make some e-liquid and it is fine, but just very bland. That is where I believe if I use actual flavorings vs pre-made e-liquid, I will be able to get much better results.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Steven

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Most flavorings are in PG, but some are in alcohol - it doesn't really matter!

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I use Madagascar Vanilla in some of my mixes. Since it's alcohol based, I base my percentage of that flavor based on the alcohol evaporating,which is usually 50% of the volume of the alcohol based flavoring. If your recipe comes up short in volume after you let it air out and evaporate, simply add more PV or VG to bring it to the correct volume.

VU Sponsors