Become a Patron!

Air monitoring at large public electronic cigarette events.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29477829

CONCLUSION:
Results indicate e-cigarette secondhand exposures are sources of elevated nicotine and propylene glycol exposures. Secondhand exposures to e-cigarettes did not contain consistently elevated concentrations of formaldehyde or acetaldehyde. Additional research is needed to characterize exposures via inhalation to propylene glycol at concentrations measured in this study.

Thank God they weren't looking for the evil chemical known as "VG" :facepalm:

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
line below from the study:

"The median propylene glycol concentration during events was 305.5 μg/m3"

The concentration of an air pollutant is given in micrograms (one-millionth of a gram) per cubic meter air or µg/m3.

305.5 millionths of a gram of Propylene Glycol per cubic meter of air.

Doesn't sound like the end of the fucking world since it was used in hospitals in the 1950's as an antibacterial agent and it used to this day as theatrical fog.

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
The median nicotine concentration during events was 1.1 μg/m3

So a cubic meter of air contained about the same amount of nic you'd find in 10 grams (~1/3 of an ounce) of eggplant or a decent serving (~60 grams) of Cauliflower. Somehow, this strikes me as a negligible concentration.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It's nature's bug repellent.

Good timing. About twice a month since spring, I've been finding ants on my kitchen counters. I usually just spray them with the counter top cleaner and wipe them up. The last time I saw about 8 of them and I just happened to be mixing a bottle of juice. I spilled a drop of 100mg nic on my finger, so i smeared a loop of it around them on the counter. Those ants spent the next 10 minutes walking around the inside of the circle looking for a way out. Eventually, they just crossed it and disappeared. You know, I haven't seen a single ant in over a month. They must have went back to the colony and sounded the danger alarm. I think they bugged out.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's nature's bug repellent.

Good timing. About twice a month since spring, I've been finding ants on my kitchen counters. I usually just spray them with the counter top cleaner and wipe them up. The last time I saw about 8 of them and I just happened to be mixing a bottle of juice. I spilled a drop of 100mg nic on my finger, so i smeared a loop of it around them on the counter. Those ants spent the next 10 minutes walking around the inside of the circle looking for a way out. Eventually, they just crossed it and disappeared. You know, I haven't seen a single ant in over a month. They must have went back to the colony and sounded the danger alarm. I think they bugged out.

I used to blow cigarette smoke at my roses while sitting out on the porch smoking, just to watch the ants and aphids get wobbly... but I'm thinking that 100mg nicotine would be a LOT more effective than 2nd hand smoke. :giggle:

Andria

VU Sponsors