Become a Patron!

Advice for Noobies from Not-so-Noobies

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

I've been vaping daily since January 2nd of 2015. Prior to that, I had bought some juices and gear but went back to smoking and didn't vape at all.

I still smoke 3 to 5 cigarettes a day (for a few months this year I only vaped, but began to mix some cigarettes into my day as time went on).

My advice for smokers who are considering vaping: IF you absolutely cannot stop smoking, then vaping might be the replacement that works for you. But IF you are able to stop smoking, better to replace smoking with healthy exercise (get those lungs pumping!) than with vaping.

My advice for non-smokers: leave vaping alone. Invest your time and money in a health club membership or a bicycle or anything that is healthy. Some people are using vaping as a substitute for eating. If compulsive overeating is an issue, vaping might be the substitute that works.

For myself, I'm invested in Vaping to the tune of a couple grand. What did I learn, and what would I like to do differently?

Part of me is a minimalist, trying to simplify my life. The other part of me is a "collector" who chases the latest new thing or the "never-knew-it-existed" cool thing. The inner battle had shifted to the "collector" but is pulling back to the "minimalist."

The minimalist wants to keep vaping simple. A few best things, not a load of assorted things that I have to deal with. The minimalist would like one mod (a Hana Modz DNA40), one RDA (an authentic Velocity or Hobo V2), and one RTA (maybe an authentic Kayfun).

The collector wants to try it all. But trying it all takes a lot of time and money. And so it goes...

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Well said good sir!

Just 2 cents from me.

If you are a smoker and want to try vaping, get two dependable yet inexpensive batteries like the eGo series, a USB charger and a wall wart (Wall AC to 5v X 1.0 amp USB converter) a decent clearomizer like the Protank Mini and a pack or two of the replacement heads. Run, do not walk from any kit that comes with any of the CE series clearomizers. IMHO, they are cheap junk and perform like cheap junk.

Get a few small bottles of different flavors of E-Liquid (not tobacco as it can be a chore for any vaper to find a tobacco flavor they like) that is a 50/50 mix of PG/VG with a nic level of 18 to 24mg.

This should be enough for you to decide if vaping will work for you and if it does, then you can start shopping for better gear if needed.

Pauly Walnuts

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My advice is, know what your buying.
Ive slipped up a few times with shitty cheap mods and a couple rdas that I didnt like at all.
But overall, Ive done my homework, made intelligent purchases and spent maybe $700 on hardware since december 2013 (thats a high estimate). Ive traded things I no longer use and have a nice collection of two tube mechs, an ipv mini2, sig150, lemo2, and a couple other various attys.

Anyone can get a decent set up with 75dollars and some research. Add another 75dollars and some time, they can make their own juice.
Ive found that with a little time and energy, anything can be learned and attained.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

I've been vaping daily since January 2nd of 2015. Prior to that, I had bought some juices and gear but went back to smoking and didn't vape at all.

I still smoke 3 to 5 cigarettes a day (for a few months this year I only vaped, but began to mix some cigarettes into my day as time went on).

My advice for smokers who are considering vaping: IF you absolutely cannot stop smoking, then vaping might be the replacement that works for you. But IF you are able to stop smoking, better to replace smoking with healthy exercise (get those lungs pumping!) than with vaping.

My advice for non-smokers: leave vaping alone. Invest your time and money in a health club membership or a bicycle or anything that is healthy. Some people are using vaping as a substitute for eating. If compulsive overeating is an issue, vaping might be the substitute that works.

For myself, I'm invested in Vaping to the tune of a couple grand. What did I learn, and what would I like to do differently?

Part of me is a minimalist, trying to simplify my life. The other part of me is a "collector" who chases the latest new thing or the "never-knew-it-existed" cool thing. The inner battle had shifted to the "collector" but is pulling back to the "minimalist."

The minimalist wants to keep vaping simple. A few best things, not a load of assorted things that I have to deal with. The minimalist would like one mod (a Hana Modz DNA40), one RDA (an authentic Velocity or Hobo V2), and one RTA (maybe an authentic Kayfun).

The collector wants to try it all. But trying it all takes a lot of time and money. And so it goes...

You've only been vaping since January and you've already spent a couple of grand??????

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You've only been vaping since January and you've already spent a couple of grand??????
Yep. It adds up. If I had known I would spend that much, I would have bought a few big ticket items and not a bunch of odds and ends that now need to be built. But...I do tend to read the directions AFTER I've made my mistakes. Oh, the couple grand includes juices.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't know....I've been vaping for over three years, and back when I started there weren't alot of big ticket items being made....I'm really glad I started out on cheap stuff..it forced me to improve my building skills in order to get a decent vape, and it allowed me to try alot of different stuff, before I crossed the line and bought my first highend gear.it also taught me a high price doesn't insure a good vape.

Breazy_Com

Excellence In Service
VU Vendor
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
These days you can put together a nice setup for under a hundred bucks. If your on the forum a lot or in the local vape shop you do get caught up in the "what are you getting next" syndrome lol. Like getting your first tattoo. Your not even done and your thinking about the next one.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Okay, what was the point of this thread? To share with Noobies, so they don't make the same mistakes as us not-so-noobies did. But everyone has their own path to follow, so let it be.
I tend to collect stuff other than vape stuff, and then feel cluttered. So it's nothing new.
I'll get over it.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I heard a story of a kid who asked his dad for a book. The dad replied "What do you want a book for? You already have one!"
The kid grew up to become a collector of books. He died an old man with an extensive collection that was sold for pennies on the dollar.
The moral?
If I use one RDA almost exclusively (my Infinite clone Hobo), then why do I need more RDAs?

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Book Shelf
Vape Shelf
Words
Juices
Vaping and Reading
My books smell like Cookie Dough!

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I heard a story of a kid who asked his dad for a book. The dad replied "What do you want a book for? You already have one!"
The kid grew up to become a collector of books. He died an old man with an extensive collection that was sold for pennies on the dollar.
The moral?
If I use one RDA almost exclusively (my Infinite clone Hobo), then why do I need more RDAs?

I rather like to think my collection of First Editions or Autographed first editons will be worth something when I kick.

Especially the first edition of Dracula (ever heard of that dude?)

Sadly, I cannot get that one autographed.

Woodsman

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I rather like to think my collection of First Editions or Autographed first editons will be worth something when I kick.

Especially the first edition of Dracula (ever heard of that dude?)

Sadly, I cannot get that one autographed.
Stephen King is valuable. Try eBay > search terms "First Edition" > Auction > # of bids, most first... Stephen King will be one of top hits.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
A simple Kanger Evod "double starter pack" allowed me to quit smoking.

Lets be real here...you can buy the best of whatever you want but, if you dont WANT to stop smoking then you wont.

I dont miss the short breath and nausea and dizziness i got from smoking...not to mention feeling like i was gonna die trying to do much of anything active (ride a bike, jog, mow the yard etc..) that requires this thing we call oxygen.

Buying a cheap kit IS a waste of money (ie.. gas station blister packs)...Get a simple quality kit and the proper nicotine level, and if you WANT to stop smoking you can.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
"We were dancin' singin' & movin' to the grovin', & then Someone shouted, Play that Funky Music! White Boy. Takes AIR to sing, You have a lot more if you don't smoke. More Money too.

VU Sponsors