Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Phil does a first look at the new provari

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Wow. As a Provari owner I'm shamed at the lackluster specs/features of this new device. I really expected a lot more from Provape given how much time this has been in development. Maybe I'm just not seeing the whole picture with all it's nuances, but TBH, I'm underwhelmed. Flame me if you want, but as a Provari 2.5 owner, I paid for the right of an opinion.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A step in the right direction, but at .7ohms, the max wattage output would only be 15W ;) I personally don't need it to go higher, but knowing there is an option like the Evolv DNA30 board for much less with a wider vape range, hard pressed to find this that cutting edge based on this first impression vid.
Bummer that the menu control is still via one button, and I was hoping the body would be something really nice like the Dicodes Dani :(

Yeah, gonna pass this one unfortunately, definitely a much better mod than the previous versions, but just not enough wow for me to want one.

MD_Boater

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My first impression is that I would at least consider buying one of these. The feature set of the prior models just never gave me the urge to buy one.

The Provari appeals to me because of all the built in safety features, and I do tend to lean towards items made in the U.S.A. This doesn’t mean I will shell out mega bucks for the upgrade. I’m waiting to hear what the price point will be, and then perhaps picking up an older model that will be dropping in price - hopefully.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I was never real interested in buying a Provari-until now. This model is all that a want in a APV- Its like a Subaru Version of My Seigeli 20watt- yes Subaru Owners are cult like. Wish I could afford One[Subaru]

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A step in the right direction, but at .7ohms, the max wattage output would only be 15W ;)

How do you figure that one out?

Power output depends on the resistance and the voltage. P=U²/R. The P3 is supposed to be able to put out 20W. At 3.75V, you get 20W out of a 0.7Ω coil. The P3 is capable of supplying up to 6V, so no problem.

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Power output depends on the resistance and the voltage. P=U²/R. The P3 is supposed to be able to put out 20W. At 3.75V, you get 20W out of a 0.7Ω coil. The P3 is capable of supplying up to 6V, so no problem.

I think you forgot about the 5Amp limit. Which means a 0.7ohn coil will be able to fire 17.5watts max.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think you forgot about the 5Amp limit. Which means a 0.7ohn coil will be able to fire 17.5watts max.

Ah, I didn't know about that. Then I guess there are two choices:

- the P3 isn't attractive to sub-ohm enthusiasts and that's that, or
- sub-ohm enthusiasts realize that coils over 1Ω yield perfectly good vapes too :)

Drone

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After checking out some of the specs I think I'm going to upgrade my opinion to "wait and see". While I'm a bit underwhelmed by the narrow regulation range, I'm very interested in the HotShot boost mode. One of my least favorite things about my V2.5 Provari is the slow ramp-up time getting the coil up to temp for a decent vape. I always have to hit the fire button, wait a second, then start to vape even on a stock Nautilus at 1.8ohms. I don't have to do this on a DNA 30 or SX-350 mod. If this feature is done really well it might be enough to sway my opinion. It will be interesting to see the data when put on a scope to see how this feature works.

The overall design is pleasing, nothing really new there, but nicely done. The top cap design seems to be well done. The floating 510 pin looks very good, but will have to see what the adjustment range of the connection is. The screen is OK, nothing special, but much better than the old LED screen. Multiple memory locations might be valuable for some, but is just a fluff feature for me. Built-in reverse battery protection while using flat top batteries is a very good feature and should be on all devices. I know the previous Provari mods had reverse protection mechanically (flat top batteries couldn't physically touch the power input pin on the board, but was an effective mechanism for button top reverse protection). No glue holding in the board, so loose glue joint problems will be a non-issue. One button system I'm not a big fan of, while it works as well as can be expected I find multi button interfaces to be much quicker so I prefer them.

Overall, this appears to be a very solidly built mod and I'm sure is going to be very successful. I'm just not sure it will offer enough versatility for me to make a purchase. I really like the idea of one mod to rule them all, you know, be able to screw on any of my atties (RDA, RTA, Clearos, etc.) regardless of build or resistance like my current favorite the SX-350 board. But if the HotShot boost is truly effective it might sway me. Everything else about this new Provari seems evolutionary not revolutionary. Which will probably be fine for most.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
[...]One of my least favorite things about my V2.5 Provari is the slow ramp-up time getting the coil up to temp for a decent vape. I always have to hit the fire button, wait a second, then start to vape[...]

Gosh yes, mods that do that are so annoying.. The Evic comes to mind too, or the Coolfire 2 that starts at half power for a split second before deciding to let it rip for good.

Bamani71

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Waiting to see what it costs and kind of disappointed that it's going to B&Ms first. I think it's nice to reward them and all, but I don't know of any B&M that is currently selling Provaris at the cost you get online. Wonder how much they'll up the price?

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My Seigeli 20watt will do just fine until they go for sale unline

vapopat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
With so many sx/DNA it nice to see a new interface lot of option is cool too but not to 3x the price of a cloned zna or any other DNA and with these50/100watt at 100$ you really need to have a reliability/trendish issue to buy these provari but as I say that I still own two 2.0 :) aaah compulsive buying you got me

JVapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'd personally rather have a Vapor Shark rDNA any day of the week.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do not think I would would own a Mod if I could not swap out rechargeable batteries,

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I can get a 2000mah Ego Twist VV VW for $25 if I want to recharge battery instead of putting a new Battery in my Vaping Device,so not being able to swap out batteries would also be a deal breaker for me

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kind of OT here, but you can often replace the battery in sealed units. I did it the other day on a old-style iTaste VV v3 that isn't sold anymore. It's finicky but definitely doable.

Trouble is, oftentimes the go-go button, threading and all the rest is designed to last even less than the battery, making the entire thing a throwaway device. But with a little TLC, it can last a long time nonetheless.

That's the real value of a Provari really: it does not require TLC to last a long time. Me though, I'd rather pay Chinese prices and take extra-care of my stuff, because taking care of stuff and repairing stuff by oneself is free. I'm cheap that way :)

NOLA_Willie

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
One thing that appeals to me is that all my Provari V2.5 accessories will fit the P3 eg. bases, caps, extensions, stand etc. I also am thrilled it will accept high output batteries.
But the one thing that disappoints me is the 20 watt output. Seems old school. I realize the P3 is aimed at cardos and rebuildable tanks but 30 watts would seems minimal. I top my V2.5 with Kayfuns, Kayfun like attys and the occasional
Nautilus.
And, IMHO, they should be sold online from the get-go!

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Just a rough calc based on the 5 amp limit, Drone explained it much better though ;)

@Kevin2112: Vaporshark r-DNA battery is replaceable. The only ones I know of that are not is the Hana mini, original VS DNA20 & 30 and the newly released VaporFlask: http://www.vaperev.com/blog/the-vapor-flask/

The V2 Vaporflask batteries should be user replaceable though. If the P3 comes in at a 250-299 price tag, would much rather drop that money on this.

Roger Schaeffer

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Vaporshark r-DNA battery is replaceable And I think its a good device. My Questions are is a 1/2 yr warranty availble? What would happen if I dropped it on the sidewalk? I am trying to make up my mind here. Obviously the price when P3 goes online will matter. I tend to prefer the flexibility[3 battery size choices] and looks of Tube Mods too.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaporshark warranty only covers manufacturing faults, not user errors:

The Vapor Shark DNA™ and rDNA™ has a 120 day warranty that exists on manufacturing defects ONLY. The following examples are NOT included in the warranty. Usage based defects are issues caused by mistreatment and/or misuse of products. Usage based defects include, but are not limited to:

Devices that are dropped
Devices that have damages caused by water, E-liquid, and/or aqueous solutions
Devices that have been tampered with [Opening the VS DNA™ and rDNA™ (electrical components section) will void your warranty]
Devices that have been repaired by owner or third parties that are not Vapor Shark Technicians
Devices that are physically damaged; i.e. Buttons that been damaged due to excessive force, fried DNA boards due to reverse polarity, paint that has chipped, and/or damages caused by rebuildable tanks (It is the user's responsibility to know how to use their advanced rebuildable vaping equipment.)

Choice between a DNA30 device and a Provari is rather simple I think, do you like a box or a tube? And of course, what is your preferred vaping range?

If you are within the Provari range, then I think the P3 would make better sense, especially if you want a warranty to protect you from user error.

I was seriously considering giving in and picking up a P3 for just my Kayfun, but that Vaporflask just appeals to me so much more now.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I was never real interested in buying a Provari-until now. This model is all that a want in a APV- Its like a Subaru Version of My Seigeli 20watt- yes Subaru Owners are cult like. Wish I could afford One[Subaru]

subaru2.jpg

VU Sponsors