Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs173/1102520673880/archive/1119217315127.html

highlights the dramatic reductions in youth tobacco use in Florida from 15.7% in 2005 to 7.5% in 2014, and applauds CVS Health for making the groundbreaking move this Fall to eliminate tobacco sales from their stores, choosing to place public health ahead of corporate profit. Both ads can be viewed ontruth's YouTube page.

405.jpg
Earlier in November, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) released data from its 2013 National Youth Tobacco Survey (NYTS). First the good news, use of traditional cigarettes continues to decline (the cigarette smoking rate among high school students in 2013 was down 14% from 2012). However, use of other tobacco products is very concerning, as 90% of high school students are currently using combustible tobacco products such as cigars, little cigars, cigarillos, and hookah. These products, as yet unregulated by the FDA, are especially appealing to youth because they are cheaper, candy flavored and in the case of hookah, wrongly perceived to carry less risk. Also troubling - between 2011-2013, teen use of electronic cigarettes has tripled (4.5% in 2013 compared to 1.5% in 2011). While e-cigarettes may present a legitimate harm reduction benefit for adult smokers trying to quit, the use of unregulated, addictive nicotine products by youth and young adults is a strong reminder why aggressive, innovative and disruptive public education efforts - like truth - along with FDA regulation - are critical if we hope to end the tobacco epidemic for good.

Speaking of e-cigarettes, this month the Oxford English Dictionary announced that the word "vape" beat out "slacktivism" as the 2014 "word of the year." Rudyard Kipling once said "words are the most powerful drug used by mankind." It's ironic that the choice of this word - vape - describes the act of inhaling nicotine - one of the most addictive drugs known to man. The introduction of "vape" into the collective consciousness and the elevation of the tobacco issue to once again be atop the cultural radar screen, is a reminder that we must use this opportunity to reinforce the fact that the tobacco epidemic is far from over and that while e-cigarettes may prove to be a new tool in our arsenal, we must continue to innovate and activate to end the epidemic that claims 480,000 lives each year and risks the future of 5.6 million kids alive today.

November also provides opportunities to recognize the courage and service of our troops, the importance of smoking cessation with observances like today's Great American Smokeout and Lung Cancer Awareness Month and of course, time spent with family and friends during the Thanksgiving holiday. In the spirit of giving thanks, all of us at Legacy extend our thanks to our partners, stakeholders and friends for your support and encouragement for our lifesaving work.

Happy Thanksgiving from our team to yours!

380.jpg

Robin Koval

CEO and President, Legacy

90% of high school students are currently using combustible tobacco products such as cigars, little cigars, cigarillos, and hookah????

That is a 100% untrue statement. I think anyone in their right mind would find it impossible that 9 out of 10 of all high school kids are using "other" combustible tobacco products. They have a bunch of good stuff about kids not smoking but add these crazy subliminal inaccuracies to make us think that 90% of kids are inhaling tobacco daily!!! Fucking stupid bullshit? - 5150:)

So here it is again but the truth:

The new NYTS findings underscore that among the 23% of high school students currently using a tobacco product, more than 90% are using combustible tobacco products such as cigarettes, cigars, hookahs and pipes.

http://www.legacyforhealth.org/news...-continue-to-light-up-cigars-hookah-and-pipes

It was easy to find the truth but I am really pissed off at the way Robin Koval - CEO and President, Legacy worded her release.

I mean is she really that stupid that she didn't proof read that statement?
or
Did she know exactly what she was doing and she purposely misquoted that in order to ring the alarm about "other" combustible tobacco products?

I'll leave it for you guys to decide - 5150:)

Last edited:

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
She's got to keep up the moral panic, or her paycheck disappears like vapor on a hot day.

Odian

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Two things....

1) Until today, I have never heard, or used the word: "slacktivism". I really hate it when people skew numbers and words to fit their cause.
2) Does "vape" mean that you are inhaling nicotine to anyone else here? I mean....when I first started, I was vaping juices that had nicotine added, but with the singular exception of one juice that I really like that isnt made in 0mg....every single juice or liquid I buy or try, is 0mg. If it isnt....I dont buy/try it.

Zamazam, you hit the nail on the head, I believe.

VU Sponsors