A Big Week for New AEW and WWE Champs Brings Both Highs and Lows

Status
Not open for further replies.

VUBot

Staff member
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
What’s up, funfans? You’ll notice very quickly, perhaps right this very moment as I actually mention it, that this week’s wrasslepiece is a bit scatterbrained. There’s no “central topic” per se, just assorted odds and ends. Nothing is trivial, but nothing ultimately stands out either. Kind of like how the sitcom Wings lasted eight seasons because dads love Crystal Bernard. Btw, look for my “Dads Love Crystal Bernard” shirt at shop dot wings dot org.

First up? What do y’all think of Tony Khan becoming part of the story and getting an Elite beatdown on AEW TV? Naturally, Tony’s never not been a part of AEW’s forward-facing TV product. He’s no phantom boss. He’s always been an on-air, dude, despite maybe not being so great as an on-air dude (man, he went in for that Jack Perry handshake like he was being Meet Dave’d).

What happened this week with the Elite (+ Jack Perry) is an extension of the CM Punk All In footage bit - while also opening it up, extending it into a meta-complaint about Tony in general. The Bucks have taken over because of Tony’s failings as the boss. Tonally though, does it fit? With AEW? Which has forever (okay, five years) been in an interesting place as a major big time fat cat “alternative to WWE?”

Well, what does that mean now in 2024? When WWE’s in the Paul Era? Most of the time, in the business, “alternative to WWE” has meant serious, more violent wrestling with a more palpable hardscrabble attitude. To counteract WWE’s more ridiculous, or at least more benign family-friendly, product. But now it’s all mixed up. Kind of like that 311 song “All Mixed Up.” Actually, exactly like the 311 song “All Mixed Up.” All mixed up, don't know what to do, next thing you know the bucks spike tombstone you.

Some (a lot? a few? who can truly say? it’s the internet) have likened AEW’s more outlandish antics to late-stage WCW. I think we can all agree that’s crazy talk. Hyperbolic, yo. It’s just that because AEW’s always compared to WWE, just by existing, and because of WWE’s overall 40-year dominance, there will always be arguments about what AEW should be. And that will change based on whatever a particular fan wants to see. And, as it turns out, and this might shock you, people who voice their opinions on the internet can be a bit obtuse. Unreasonable, even.

AEW’s done super straight-and-narrow things like tracking win/loss records, running round robin tournaments, smarky dream matches sans storyline context, and partnering with international promotions. They’ve also done home invasion shtick, Stadium Stampedes, the Summer of MJF and Cole, and having the likes of Snoop Dogg, Mike Tyson, and Shaq come in for a celebrity guest spot. Namely, things WWE would be criticized for. And if not criticized for, then at least these things would be noted as indicative of WWE. Meaning, really, things that take the focus away from the wrestling.

A few weeks back I took umbrage with AEW for the Punk footage skit because it was just a bad look. Ultimately, it was used as a joke, which was the best case scenario, but it made the company look like the bridesmaid-iest bridesmaid ever. Also, I realize now that it doesn’t matter how much I say I like AEW, or that I’ve traveled out of state for their PPVs, or that I hoped the CM Punk segment did great ratings for them, there will be those who say I’m an AEW hater through and through. I’ve been writing about wrestling for 17 years and this is ollllld hat.

My point here is that I hope there comes a time when AEW’s “WWE-like” shenanigans are just sort of folded into the omelet because, whatever AEW supposed to be, whatever you wanted them to be at the outset, they’re still a pro-wrestling company. Plus, the only true alternative to WWE I’ve ever seen is Lucha Underground, which I miss like crazy every goddamn day.

Okay, I guess I had more to ramble about than I thought. All I really wanted to ask was “did you lovable goobers like Tony taking an Indytaker/Meltzer Driver?” So, in the very least, sound off on that in the comments.

Also, AEW Dynasty was a righteous PPV, with a fantastic slew of matches. And beginning with Moxley’s IWGP title win last week, these past few days have been bubbling over with new champs. From Trick Williams dethroning Ilja Dragunov to Willow becoming TBS champ to – yes! - the much-deserved anointing of Swerve Strickland, who’s not only been AEW’s gem for a year or more but a gem in a way that feels genuine, unforced, and well-protected.

It was bizarre when the first Black AEW World Champion didn’t get a big in-ring promo/celebration on Dynamite (which sounded like it was broadcast from inside a morgue drawer this week) but that’s because Willow got that treatment in order to have a face-to-face with Mercedes “Wrestle Already!” Mone.

Still though, Swerve at the top is a phenomenal boon for AEW. As a WWE cast-off, his rise and success makes up for the Rusevs and and the Andrades and the Alistair Blacks (who’s still not where he should be). Even the Keith Lees. Swerve’s win feels even more meaningful and timely given WWE’s bummer Becky Lynch win on RAW the following night. Now, if you take away anything from these new Fowler Wrestling Columns from the past three months it's that I’m a huge Swerve stan and also a massive Liv Morgan mark. And Liv felt like the natural pick to become WWE Woman’s World Champion. When you’re a fan, you’re also impatient so I have to step back, breathe deep, and realize that there IS a plan.

Liv will (please please please) topple Becky at Le Backlash and it will also be because Dom betrays Mami and becomes Liv’s smarmy stooge-slash-broke af bf. They’re making such a big deal of Liv being a perennial “runner up” that something has to give. At least to appease me, S***ty McGee.

No, that's not right. Flip it.

Yup! Much better.

KNEELIFT!

Watch Wrestling.

Continue reading...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VU Sponsors