Become a Patron!

28 gauge kanthal builds?

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I bought some 28 gauge kanthal but I'm not sure how I should build my coils I goto steam engine I choose my settings and diameter using my drill bits and if I put something like .8 or .9 it will say the wraps and all that but I use dual so it says the total will be like 1.6 and It will say the reccomended wattage to be around 40 for a normal temp vapour. I was wondering why these high ohm builds are reccomended for higher wattage like will they give you bigger clouds? Or will a .2 give you bigger clouds because a .4 dual is reccomended for like 20 watts and I want decent sized clouds . thanks and I apologize for my noobiness

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The ohm load has nothing to do with performance on regulated mods.
More wraps will have a higher resistance, more mass and more surface area.
Are you using a regulated mod?

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
When building dual coils the resistance is half of one of the coils..So example, if you build 2 single 1ohm coils then when you combine the two coils it will give you around .50ohm...Also the inside diameter at which you wrap will play a part in overall resistance.

Higher Wattage is more for lower ohm coils as it takes more watts to achieve a desired voltage which ultimately is where we find the vape we like...I personally like 4.2v or above so wattage can be higher or lower based on the ohm of the coil or coils to achieve this voltage range.

As an example..A 2ohm coil might give you 5 volts at 10 watts..A .5 ohm coil can give you the same 5v but at a much higher wattage.

Take the coils you built and find the wattage you enjoy the vape with then see what the voltage is...No matter what ohm coils you build you will find around the same voltage needed to enjoy your vape despite what the wattage says.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
BOth of the above are correct and completly incorrect at the same time.

In a NON regulated mod coil OHM and battery voltage determines wattage output. those Ohms at those volts determines amp draw.

In a regulated mod Output determines amp draw...... Coil ohm only determines the wattage produced by the output.

ALL MODS... REGULATED OR NOT OUTPUT VOLTS.

In all cases amount of wire and composition of the wire determines amount of heat and the way that heat acts at the coil. High ohm and low ohm are 2 ways to get at the same goal.. the fact is Sub ohm is only popular because going lower in ohm is the only way to increase wattage in an unregulated mod..... In a regulated mod the coil ohm doesn't matter, if that rate is within the mods fire range it fires...... the output of the coil being determined by the volts output from the mod. A build that does 100watts in my mech will NEVER put out 100 watts in a 50 watt regulated mod..... It will put out 50 watts max.. even if the regulated mod is able to supply more that 2x the volts of my mech...... If i build a 25watt at 4.2v coil for my mech it fires it at 25watts or less till i change the battery...... In my 50watt regulated mod I can fire that coil at any wattage from 0-50. See that 25watt coil is only limited to 25 watts UN regulated, regulated the limit is gonna be based on how many volts you have available and how much heat you can stand.

Vaperizor

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
When building dual coils the resistance is half of one of the coils..So example, if you build 2 single 1ohm coils then when you combine the two coils it will give you around .50ohm...Also the inside diameter at which you wrap will play a part in overall resistance.

Higher Wattage is more for lower ohm coils as it takes more watts to achieve a desired voltage which ultimately is where we find the vape we like...I personally like 4.2v or above so wattage can be higher or lower based on the ohm of the coil or coils to achieve this voltage range.

As an example..A 2ohm coil might give you 5 volts at 10 watts..A .5 ohm coil can give you the same 5v but at a much higher wattage.

Take the coils you built and find the wattage you enjoy the vape with then see what the voltage is...No matter what ohm coils you build you will find around the same voltage needed to enjoy your vape despite what the wattage says.

So if I build a dual coil and the total comes out to 1.0 I can still get the same clouds and such as a total of 0.8 or 0.4?

And yes I'm using a regulated mod.

I just built a coil and it came out to 1.08 ohms and it hits hard!

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
As
So if I build a dual coil and the total comes out to 1.0 I can still get the same clouds and such as a total of 0.8 or 0.4?

And yes I'm using a regulated mod.

I just built a coil and it came out to 1.08 ohms and it hits hard!

Don't get caught on just watts or voltage to create vapor production however..More goes into that as well...The larger the diameter you make the coil the more juice you can feed to the coil thus allowing for a longer hit to create more vapor..Surface area of the coil is another factor...When more coils are touching the cotton, then more of the juice inside the coil is being heated up allowing for more vapor as well as flavor...Air flow is a side kick to vapor production..More air flow means you can crank up the power even more...In short, its a bunch of little things put together to work as a team to get what you're after from your vape.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thinking in terms of ohms doesn't really apply to regulated mods.. the facination with ohm comes from the old day where the Only way to get more or less wattage in a mech or unregulted mod was to change ohm rate.

With todays regulated mods we should concentrate more surface area for creating vapor and mass of the coil for wattage desire and heating performance.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Akrotiri

Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Does the amount of cotton affect vapor production? For example if I build my wick with slightly more cotton than usual will I get a little more vapor production

Everpresentnewb

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
If you use to much wick, it will choke and there wont be sufficient juice in the coils and you get a "dry Hit".

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
It all comes down to heat flux, which is measured in milliwatts per millimeter squared (mW/mm^2), and is related to the mass of the coil itself. Heat flux relates to the guage of the wire used as thicker wire(lower guage) generally has more mass and less resistance than thinner wire(higher guage). The range that Steam Engine uses for the recommended wattage sets 200mW/mm^2 as the perfect setting. If you play around with different guages and resistances from a theoretical standpoint you will find that some builds at 2ohms will use the same wattage as another build at .2ohms.

For an example I will use 2 single coil builds both using Kanthal at aiming for 8 wraps around a 2mm drilbit;

Build #1
24AWG Kanthal
8 wraps
.45ohms
Recommended wattage = about 20W

Build #2
30 AWG Kanthal
8 wraps
1.5ohms
Recommended wattage = about 8W

From this example you see that the lower guage wire has a lower resistance, which means that it requires more power to bring it up to the preferred heat flux. Resistance wires heat up by restricting the flow of electrons and causing them to essentially collide with one another turning the energy into heat. Thinner wire does a better job of restricting the flow of electrons and therefore heats up quicker at lower wattages. For this reason thicker guages are generally used for low resistance builds but if you build a high resistance coil with thin wire it can still require a relatively high wattage to run optimally.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It all comes down to heat flux, which is measured in milliwatts per millimeter squared (mW/mm^2), and is related to the mass of the coil itself. Heat flux relates to the guage of the wire used as thicker wire(lower guage) generally has more mass and less resistance than thinner wire(higher guage). The range that Steam Engine uses for the recommended wattage sets 200mW/mm^2 as the perfect setting. If you play around with different guages and resistances from a theoretical standpoint you will find that some builds at 2ohms will use the same wattage as another build at .2ohms.

For an example I will use 2 single coil builds both using Kanthal at aiming for 8 wraps around a 2mm drilbit;

Build #1
24AWG Kanthal
8 wraps
.45ohms

Build #2
30 AWG Kanthal
8 wraps
1.5ohms

From this example you see that the lower guage wire has a lower resistance, which means that it requires more power to bring it up to the preferred heat flux. Resistance wires heat up by restricting the flow of electrons and causing them to essentially collide with one another turning the energy into heat. Thinner wire does a better job of restricting the flow of electrons and therefore heats up quicker at lower wattages. For this reason thicker guages are generally used for low resistance builds but if you build a high resistance coil with thin wire it can still require a relatively high wattage to run optimally.
Your are describing heat capacity....... the capacity determines a coil ability to tranmit heat generated.... Heat Flux is that POTENTIAL generated heat. Low capacity low heat output. High capacity high heat output.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

BillyJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Build #1
24AWG Kanthal
8 wraps
.45ohms

Build #2
30 AWG Kanthal
8 wraps
1.5ohms

And how is your vapor production with Build #1?

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
And how is your vapor production with Build #1?

Sorry that was a totally random example. I prefer dual coil setups. I run dual 8 wraps of 24AWG on my avocado sometimes and it gives a great vape, decent cloud and a ton of flavor.

BillyJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Sorry that was a totally random example. I prefer dual coil setups. I run dual 8 wraps of 24AWG on my avocado sometimes and it gives a great vape, decent cloud and a ton of flavor.
Oh! Haha. I have a mutation x v4 that I would put on my sigelei 100. Looking for GREAT cloud production. What do you suggest?

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Cloud production comes mostly from lung capacity. Any good build with a lot of surface area will give a decent cloud but if you want to cloud out a room you need the lung capacity to fill em up.

I'd try about .2ohms dual coil with 22AWG. That should have a decent surface area for a starting point. Claptons and fused claptons and other "exotic" builds also help.

BillyJ

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Cloud production comes mostly from lung capacity. Any good build with a lot of surface area will give a decent cloud but if you want to cloud out a room you need the lung capacity to fill em up.

I'd try about .2ohms dual coil with 22AWG. That should have a decent surface area for a starting point. Claptons and fused claptons and other "exotic" builds also help.
I'll have to try that. Thanks!

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Or,

With 28 ga wire run a 6/7 wrap on 3.5mm in that Mutation which is around .6-.8 ohms, get the cotton good and wet then start the mod at 36 watts, KEEP your coils wet and march up too around 40...at 45 it'll heat up too fast. Make sure its wide open after 38 watts....

Thats also my 26 ga build for the Muitty.It comes in at about .4-.6 ohms.

VU Sponsors