Become a Patron!

2 mods, identical tanks, 1 mod keeps burning out coils, the other doesn't

///M Vapor

Member For 4 Years
I have 2 mods: Asmodus Minikin & Aspire Archon.

I have 2 Innokin iSub Apex 5 ML tanks and use the Clapton coils.

Suddenly, the Asmodus Minikin is burning out coils at an alarming rate. In as little as a day. The Aspire Archon is not.

Again, for both mods, I use the Innokin iSub Apex 5 ML tank and use identical coils for both set-ups. Why would I keep burning out coils with the Asmodus, and not the Aspire Archon? Ironically, the Aspire Archon was much cheaper. I've had the Asmodus for over a year, and this just started happening about a month ago.

Even stranger is that I started vaping at 35 watts on the Asmodus to prevent coil burnout, and it still doesn't help. I vape the Aspire Archon at 55 watts, and never have any issues?

Is it time to replace the Asmodus?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years

Suddenly, the Asmodus Minikin is burning out coils at an alarming rate. In as little as a day. The Aspire Archon is not.

Again, for both mods, I use the Innokin iSub Apex 5 ML tank and use identical coils for both set-ups. Why would I keep burning out coils with the Asmodus, and not the Aspire Archon? Ironically, the Aspire Archon was much cheaper. I've had the Asmodus for over a year, and this just started happening about a month ago.

Even stranger is that I started vaping at 35 watts on the Asmodus to prevent coil burnout, and it still doesn't help. I vape the Aspire Archon at 55 watts, and never have any issues?

Weird

You have tried switching the identical tanks on the different mods to make sure it is mod specific and not a defect in one of the tanks?

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Maybe find an inline volt meter to use or if you have a multi-meter you can test the mods and make sure they are putting out close to what they say they are

///M Vapor

Member For 4 Years
Screw it. I just ordered an HCIGAR VT167 DNA mod to replace the Asmodus. I think the Asmodus is fried. It's a shame because I really liked it a lot until this became an issue.

georgemeadal

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

(Sounds like) a good excuse to buy a new mod to me!

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
a day ending in a Y is a good excuse to buy a new mod:bunny:

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer

mods aren't all that accurate. sounds like the minikin is hitting too high or the archon is hitting too low. i don't have either so not sure how accurate they are

///M Vapor

Member For 4 Years
mods aren't all that accurate. sounds like the minikin is hitting too high or the archon is hitting too low. i don't have either so not sure how accurate they are

I think the Minikin is hitting too high and literally drying up and frying the cotton in the coils. My reasoning for this deduction is that the Archon is behaving the exact way it always has behaved. It's the Minikin that suddenly is behaving differently. The Minikin was great for about 9 to 10 months before this started happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I think the Minikin is hitting too high and literally drying up and frying the cotton in the coils. My reasoning for this deduction is that the Archon is behaving the exact way it always has behaved. It's the Minikin that suddenly is behaving differently. The Minikin was great for about 9 to 10 months before this started happening.

is the resistance jumping? if it's not making a good connection due to a mod issue the resistance can jump causing it to put out too much power.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
i wonder if one mod is using PWM and the other is using DC or "mean" modulation. I've had this issue with a couple mods, due to this exact problem -- PWM tends to be more accurate.

Andria

///M Vapor

Member For 4 Years
is the resistance jumping? if it's not making a good connection due to a mod issue the resistance can jump causing it to put out too much power.

I am not an expert, but I suppose there could be random spikes of wattage increases. It's probably vaping most of the time based on how it's actually set (i.e., 35 watts or 55 watts), and then suddenly when I take it, there is a random spike, and then the coil fries.

If I had to make an educated guess, that's what I would say is happening.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I am not an expert, but I suppose there could be random spikes of wattage increases. It's probably vaping most of the time based on how it's actually set (i.e., 35 watts or 55 watts), and then suddenly when I take it, there is a random spike, and then the coil fries.

If I had to make an educated guess, that's what I would say is happening.
it's not the wattage per se, it's the voltage. mods put out voltage and when you adjust wattage it changes the votage output to match
so say you have a .2 ohm coil in and set it to 50 watts , the mod should put out 3.16 volts. but say the resistance jumps to a .3 and you fire now the mod is putting out 3.87 volts because it thinks the coil is a .3 when it isn't. which means with the .2ohm coil it's really doing about 75 watts. some mods are really inconsistent in their output. sadly i don't have either mod you have to say if they are or aren't

///M Vapor

Member For 4 Years
it's not the wattage per se, it's the voltage. mods put out voltage and when you adjust wattage it changes the votage output to match
so say you have a .2 ohm coil in and set it to 50 watts , the mod should put out 3.16 volts. but say the resistance jumps to a .3 and you fire now the mod is putting out 3.87 volts because it thinks the coil is a .3 when it isn't. which means with the .2ohm coil it's really doing about 75 watts. some mods are really inconsistent in their output. sadly i don't have either mod you have to say if they are or aren't

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I did drop it not too long ago. It was pretty impactful. However, there wasn't a mark or scratch on it, so I didn't think anything of it, but maybe something is loose in it now. I'm at a point where I think it's a safety issue as well, so I just retired it and will probably throw it away.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yes, thanks for the clarification. I did drop it not too long ago. It was pretty impactful. However, there wasn't a mark or scratch on it, so I didn't think anything of it, but maybe something is loose in it now. I'm at a point where I think it's a safety issue as well, so I just retired it and will probably throw it away.

probably your best bet. something might have broken or came loose internally. unless there is a shop that can fix them your better off. if you wanted some return you could probably sell it as damaged and someone would buy it cheap for parts or try to fix it

///M Vapor

Member For 4 Years
probably your best bet. something might have broken or came loose internally. unless there is a shop that can fix them your better off. if you wanted some return you could probably sell it as damaged and someone would buy it cheap for parts or try to fix it

I'm just throwing it in the trash. I view these as disposable devices that will probably be replaced in 12 to 18 months. Although, in this case, I only got about 9 to 10 months...I would have liked to have gotten a little more out of it. I actually liked it a lot, but it's obviously time to move on.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm just throwing it in the trash. I view these as disposable devices that will probably be replaced in 12 to 18 months. Although, in this case, I only got about 9 to 10 months...I would have liked to have gotten a little more out of it. I actually liked it a lot, but it's obviously time to move on.
I hear you for sure. Take a look at the smoant battlestar. I've never heard of one dying yet lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors