Become a Patron!

18650, 18500, OR 18350?

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Morning everyone,
Here I am pulling another late nighter, lol, just doing some reading and research. I have been sitting here at my desk in my office, basically playing with my mods, taking them apart, and changing the size of the mod, going from 18650, all the way down to 18350, to try and see if there is a size I can be comfortable with for everydy use.

And really, I'm not accomplishing too much because I feel if I am going out & about for the day, I want the big battery, & if I'm piddling around the house, I tend to choose the 18500 or 18350 size. Does it really matter? Is one size any better at performing better than the others? So I ask you guys, what size do you normally prefer to tote around with you all day? My tanks are pretty heavy, weight wise, I use all Taifun GT's & Kayfun Lite Plus tanks.

So, it's just a question to see what the normal preference is for battery size, & I'll compae it to what I'm using, and maybe I'll find a happy medium. Ok, thanks for reading my post, gonna go back to tinkering...everyone have a great Saturday....:)

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's a matter of matching resistance to available continuous current drain ratings. If you use say... a 1.2Ω coil, the maximum drain is 3.5 amps, which any of the three can easily handle.
Then then question is, for how long? With an 18500 battery rated at 700mAh... your total run time is 11 minutes, or over 120 five second draws. With an 18650/2000 mAh... it nearly triples to 30 minutes, or over 360 5 second draws.

Ain't Ohm's Law math fun?
rolleyes.gif

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It's a matter of matching resistance to available continuous current drain ratings. If you use say... a 1.2Ω coil, the maximum drain is 3.5 amps, which any of the three can easily handle.
Then then question is, for how long? With an 18500 battery rated at 700mAh... your total run time is 11 minutes, or over 120 five second draws. With an 18650/2000 mAh... it nearly triples to 30 minutes, or over 360 5 second draws.

Ain't Ohm's Law math fun?
rolleyes.gif
I got a headache just trying to contemplate the math. And I just wanted to have my batteries last all day....lol

Ld3441

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I got a headache just trying to contemplate the math. And I just wanted to have my batteries last all day....lol

Wouldn't that be nice to have a small battery last all day? I have settled on a mid size battery (18490) and carry a spare. I like the size of this one best so I make it work for me. I put in a fresh battery before work and it will last until I get home but I always have a spare on me.

State O' Flux

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Wouldn't that be nice to have a small battery last all day? I have settled on a mid size battery (18490) and carry a spare. I like the size of this one best so I make it work for me. I put in a fresh battery before work and it will last until I get home but I always have a spare on me.
As infrequently as I get to vape during a work day, a R91% with 0.9Ω build, fit to a 18350 mod lasts me all day... or at least until I get home.
bye2.gif

Alxx

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I work in a warehouse. Since the guys I work with don't mind me vaping. I can take a hit off mine at anytime and as often as I like. I'm using a 350 with either a kicked V3 flip clone or a kicked brass magneto set to 8 watts. Topped off with a kayfun clone at 1.8 ohms. Last me around 10-12 hours everyday. I like the 350 for the pocket friendly size.

I also carry a case to work with 2 spare batteries for backup. Along with a carto tank and a old ego. Just incase.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
A 18350 lasts me 4 hours - barely one morning - at 9W with a 1.5 ohm carto. And that's if I'm careful :)

Alxx

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
That's interesting since our setups seem close. Checking the numbers I'm at 3.79v and 2.10 amps and your at 3.67v but pulling 2.44 amps. Not far apart. Yet 10-12 hours while just I'm just puffing away compared to 4 hours being careful. So I'm guessing it's coming down to vaping style. I don't take primer puffs. I take a 5 second hit but keep drawing for 1-2 seconds more after releasing the button.

Oh and I didn't mention my other battery. The above times I get with my EH IMR which is 800 mah. But with a generic blue ICR that came with a sigeli I bought (rated at 900 mah) I get around 14 hours. Also during my lunch break I'm vaping for around 30 min. Not puff after puff but pretty consistently.

wllmc

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Sponsor
VU Challenge Team
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
I carry 4 18650 batteries everywhere I go lol. .3 ohms eats em up.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's interesting since our setups seem close. Checking the numbers I'm at 3.79v and 2.10 amps and your at 3.67v but pulling 2.44 amps. Not far apart. Yet 10-12 hours while just I'm just puffing away compared to 4 hours being careful. So I'm guessing it's coming down to vaping style.

Probably does :) I have my chain-vaping moments, and I usually take long puffs that hit the 10 second limit each and every time.

dmska

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I use 18650's only, fits my wants/needs the best. I tend to chain vape and take long hits so I get about four hours use out of sony vtc4's. I never got into the habit of carrying multiple batteries, so I can't see myself doing that now. Even though I would like to use the 18490/500's, as I like the size.

Celcius666

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
In my mech mods I mostly using 18350/18500 because I like the size of them, but mostly it is the 18500. I don't use 18650 because I think the mod is gonna be too big.. might gonna buy a couple when I decide whether I want a DNA30 box or not..
And in my work box mod whit TI chip in i use 2x AW 18350 and that give me battery life to almoste a hole day(always have 2 ekstra batteries whit me just in case, because I never know when I'm going home from work)

Sully

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I'm home, which is a lot as I work from home I use 18650 on my builds .5ohm - .3ohm. When stepping out for a quick run around town. I'll use 18350 mode with purple 10.5A efest batteries. Often bring an extra battery in case I get side tracked or stuck in traffic. If I'm going fishing, i use my 18350 zmax on a lanyard, 5x extra batteries. If I'm going somewhere for more than a few hours, I bring my bookbag full of devices, batteries, rebuilding supplies and juices of all shapes sizes and flavors. Vape shop on my back! :)

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have exclusively used all three sizes at different times. I am currently on an 18350 kick, but wont leave the house without at least 3 to 4 extra for the day.

Im usually vape a Kayfun or Taifun at 1.1. ohm using 3.5 Volts (10 (watts)

I like the smaller size of my tube style APV's in 18350

Thunderball

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I'm home, which is a lot as I work from home I use 18650 on my builds .5ohm - .3ohm. When stepping out for a quick run around town. I'll use 18350 mode with purple 10.5A efest batteries. Often bring an extra battery in case I get side tracked or stuck in traffic. If I'm going fishing, i use my 18350 zmax on a lanyard, 5x extra batteries. If I'm going somewhere for more than a few hours, I bring my bookbag full of devices, batteries, rebuilding supplies and juices of all shapes sizes and flavors. Vape shop on my back! :)

Good lord...... our vape habbits are identical...... including the fishing !! :D

Savage_46

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only using 18650 here. That's all I've ever bought. I don't care about portability or stealth. If I'm going across town or on a trip, I'll put a fresh battery in & grab a back up if needed.

KKen

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like to use 18500's for RTA's, 18650 for RDA's. The 18350's I only use for stealth setups when I know I will be in an environment that I cant vape often.

Alxx

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I do have an SVD that I only use 18500's in. But that because I modified it so now it's only about a 1/4 in longer then when a regular SVD is in 350 mode. Vaping at my usual 8 watts and in the 1.8-1.9 ohm range in my Kayfuns I'll get a whole day out of it. Two during the week because I'm not using it at work.

Alxx

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Something I didn't think about that matters. As I've said I'm using a kicked hcigar 101 flip, 8w, 1.8-1.9 ohms, and getting 10-12 hrs with a 18350. Leaving out one thing. I'm using 30 gauge kanthal (8/9 wraps, 5/64 drill bit). Tried 28 but at 8 watts it took to long to heat up. So I felt I was wasting power holding the button and taking primer puffs waiting for the coil to heat up. So rather then turn up the wattage I went back to the 30 gauge and it heats up quick enough for me and I'm comfortable with my battery life. So many variables when it comes to battery choice.

VU Sponsors