Become a Patron!

I refilled my Russian from the top, no problems, how to top off?

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Morning everyone, friends, & family...:)
This might be a dumb question, & in the wrong spot, so please correct me if I'm wrong....I bought myself 2 new Kayfuns, both Kayfun Lite Plus, 91% Russians, 1 black, 1 chrome, and I bought a Taifun to go with them. All of my goodies started coming in this week for me to make my own coils, I've just gotta go tomorrow and get myself a torch from Harbor Freight so I can heat up my micro coils and get them right.

Now a detail I might add before my questions is, all of my tanks came with the solid black piece & the solid chrome piece to use in place of the tinted window, where you can see the juice, & I prefer to use those, to me, it just makes the RBA look cool, like a solid chrome tank, or solid black tank.

My question, so early in the morning, begins with a narration. I watched a couple of different videos on You Tube on filling my Kayfuns from the top, & I was very successful. SWEET! The question I have now is, after I vape on the Kayfun 1/2 a day, or all day, and I want to top off my tank, how should I go about doing it? Since I cannot see my juice level, should I just reverse the process of how I filled it the first time, & hold my finger over the air hole, then take the top cap off and refil & start like that again?

I hope I didn't make it sound too confusing, but if I did, I have my flame retardant suit on, feel free to unload.....lol lol I thank you all for the great advice I have recieved b4, & I have implemented so much of it into my vaping practices, & I can truthfully say, I have been helped tremendously by the fine folks of this Underground. You all have my respect, & my love. VAPE ON!! Hey....I'm learning new stuff everyday!! Cool! :)

Reactions: jae

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Screw the top on just barely, hold your finger over the airflow hole, turn it upside down, finish screwing it on, let go. You preferably want that air bubble inside to line up with where the hole you're covering is. That's what i've been told anyway. Personally, i just kind of wing it and deal with the two drops of leakage or three gurgly draws which seems to be the worst case scenario in any event.

Also, those HF torches suck. Do yourself a favor and get some really good triple-filtered or better butane for it. Otherwise, it will gunk up real bad and you'll have to either toss it or spend WAY too much effort to get a $5 torch to work kind-of-ok for another few uses before having to fuck around with it some more and finally getting too frustrated to keep it. Even if you get a nice torch, use good butane. The cheap shit is terrible.

MOST IMPORTANTLY:
Enjoy yourself! Sounds like you got some nice stuff! Have fun! And don't let it get you too frustrated if you get a crappy build or if something is like a tiny tiny bit imperfect and it doesn't perform as well as you'd like. Experimentation and getting the hang of it is paramount. So get something to dump your juice into in case you need to rebuild it again right off the bat - but remember to have fun doing it! With a little luck and steady fingers, you won't even need to.

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I like to vape tank cracker liquids, so I use the full stainless tank. When I started using it I was worried about the same thing. Lucky for me I never have problems with dry hits on my coil/coton set up in it during normal usage. So I just vape away and you get a feel when it's empty, you will just start to get a dry hit. Thats when I fill. It might sound weird if you havent used those set ups you have yet but thats the way I do it. That might not be the answer you were looking for but it works great for me, just took a little bit to recognize when the end was near and the beginning of the dry hit.

I don't mess with the torch. Use 28ga do my wraps, set the coil, and pulse on mod to glow and pinch.

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't mess with the torch. Use 28ga do my wraps, set the coil, and pulse on mod to glow and pinch.
Good point. Unless you're using stainless steel or XC-116, there's really no need for a torch. Even if you want to heat up the kanthal wire, you can just use a regular ol' bong lighter.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ok, thanks for the heads up on the torch, I'll scratch that idea. And yeah, I forgot about using my mod to lite it up then let go of th fire button and pinch. Thanks, I made myself another note on that one. Never too old to learn anything and this old geezer is gettin' an education!! I love it!! So grateful for you guys, & the help & advice you give!!!

Reactions: jae

Wabah58

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just me Daniel, once I get a coil on deck and I like it, I use that sucker for months. Just re wick once a week, and dry burn the crud off the coil once I pull the wick out for replacement. Unless im vaping Blueberry that seems to gunk up my coil after 2 days :mad:

jae

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Try that READYxWICK stuff from RBA Supplies! You can torch it perfectly clean and use it for MONTHS. It adds almost no flavor of its own - certainly far less than any other wicking media i've tried. It's practically perfect.

Daniel

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Just me Daniel, once I get a coil on deck and I like it, I use that sucker for months. Just re wick once a week, and dry burn the crud off the coil once I pull the wick out for replacement. Unless im vaping Blueberry that seems to gunk up my coil after 2 days :mad:

Blueberry gunking coils after 2 days? Lordy, I hope not. But if it happens, I'll deal with it, I'm insane about blueberry, and I won't give it up. lol

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I use a standard Bic type lighter to heat the wire prior to wrapping the coil to remove the springiness out of it and make it easier to work with.

I have a torch and never use it. Once I have installed my coil on the deck, with a pair of small needle nose pliers in my right hand, I press the power button on my trusty SVD which I use when I rebuild my RBA, set it at 7 watts and heat the coil until it turns red, take my finger off of the fire button and then immediately use the needle nose pliers to "crunch" the coil together. Works like a charm every time. Then I just do a final re-position of the coil, install the wick (Ramie all the way baby) soak it with a bit of liquid, button the thing up, fill with E-Liquid and celebrate with a vape.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ain't it wonderful to have a hobby that is pretty cheap, don't get tickets, no hangover, & won't hurt you. :) P.S. never drop a hot coil or deck on your leg, it hurts.

VU Sponsors