Become a Patron!

Youtube vape gear reviews

brandon555

Member For 3 Years
Anyone else find it annoying that a lot of YouTube reviewers are reviewing stuff thats not been released to the public yet? If I'm doing research before buying something I want to know about the final product, not about all the quirks of a prototype that hasn't been released yet.

The Smok Alien comes to mind as a good example. A lot of the reviews had nitpicks about the switch being loose or random misfires, or the screen not coming with a screen protector. But all those things were fixed before the final product was released.

I'm not sure who's fault it is either. The reviewers who want to be the first to have a review out, or the companies for letting it happen in the first place.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I used YT reviews as an informative opinion/first look of new products, not to be discouraged as a final verdict. Reviewers are people, as we are. We're all wired the same, but we're all different people. He might like the glossy red atomizer, I might like the satin/matte silver one. He might like a loose AF airflow, I like a very slight restricted one. I totally agree with you though, they kind of jump ahead to beat the other reviewers on who gets the latest and greatest, like a race to put out the video first. I wish they reviewed the final products and not betas also. I'm lucky enough to work at a shop and test new stuff out myself but before, all I used was YT. The reviewers that I respected the most was always Phil (Busardo of course), DJLSB Vapes, Nick (Grimm Green), Ruby, and Todd. My 2 pennies.

Ryedan

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't watch too many reviews these days so I don't know how extensive this is, but it never bothered me when I came across that. Always thought it was nice to get info on what's going to be released soon. Pretty much everything that's actually released is reviewed anyway, so if you're looking for those you can find them :)

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If I'm watching a reviewer go over something, it's probably because I'm looking to see what it looks like inside, torn down, before I plunk down on it. And I'm probably, at that point, ready to get it. Spontaneous purchaser, this one.

For all the good it does, they might as well be on mute - uppy closey it, get your camera to focus, use good lighting, and tear the piece down, show everything off, then put it back together. Done. No need to wrap a coil, don't need to see you hit it, I just want to see it torn down and put back together, then I'll click on the next tab over and hit 'Submit Order' and then hear my phone jingle in the background because of the confirmation email.

Not to say that they're all bad, but there's a very specific slice of those videos that I usually skip right to, then close the tab when it's over.

edit: I want to say something about finger nails, but then I look at mine and, ehh, I can't exactly complain.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I'm in the process of making my first review so i like hearing this stuff about what to do and what not to do.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm in the process of making my first review so i like hearing this stuff about what to do and what not to do.
Mute the mic if you fart, burp, your phone rings, or your wife yells at you for leaving the toilet seat up, and for God sake, don't have your background music louder than you are.
Oh yeah, don't forget to brush your teeth and whatever you do, NO VOOPING!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Mute the mic if you fart, burp, your phone rings, or your wife yells at you for leaving the toilet seat up, and for God sake, don't have your background music louder than you are.
Oh yeah, don't forget to brush your teeth and whatever you do, NO VOOPING!
lol so make my reviews from the toilet while vooping with loud music blasting, my wife yelling at me, and burp and fart a lot. got it :slowclap:

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
See, I'd watch a bit review like that. That would be funny. Gotta remember to drop whatever it is you're reviewing on the john, at least once. Pretend it never happened.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
See, I'd watch a bit review like that. That would be funny. Gotta remember to drop whatever it is you're reviewing on the john, at least once. Pretend it never happened.
drop it in the toilet to test if it's water proof

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You tell me a better way to field test a piece, I'll film that. Til then we're going with the toilet thing. Roll camera.
If I HAD to be involved, I'd definitely have to be on the filming side of the camera, not on the acting side.
My vote would be to test via a glass of water but that's just me.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
If I HAD to be involved, I'd definitely have to be on the filming side of the camera, not on the acting side.
My vote would be to test via a glass of water but that's just me.
but realistically speaking, your more likely to drop your mod in a toilet then you are in a cup of water.
full disclaimer, i have dropped a mod in the toilet before while shaving and vaping lol

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
but realistically speaking, your more likely to drop your mod in a toilet then you are in a cup of water.
full disclaimer, i have dropped a mod in the toilet before while shaving and vaping lol
I dropped one of my very first eGo twists in the toilet. Had something cheapo on it like a evod or something, so no big loss now, but at the time...

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I dropped one of my very first eGo twists in the toilet. Had something cheapo on it like a evod or something, so no big loss now, but at the time...
the FDA should regulate toilets for all the damage they do lol
tsa+southpark.jpg

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe it has something to do with the amount of mods I have, but if I were to ever drop my mod in the toilet, I can't imagine it'd end up anywhere but the trash.
Same for my phone.
I really like my phone but there isn't a prayer my phone would go from the toilet to anywhere near my face.
After all, I know what's been in that toilet.
Not that I am claiming anyone said they kept nor used their mod after dropping it in the toilet.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Maybe it has something to do with the amount of mods I have, but if I were to ever drop my mod in the toilet, I can't imagine it'd end up anywhere but the trash.
Same for my phone.
I really like my phone but there isn't a prayer my phone would go from the toilet to anywhere near my face.
After all, I know what's been in that toilet.
Not that I am claiming anyone said they kept nor used their mod after dropping it in the toilet.
It survived and worked still. The tank got thrown out but the mod itself I didn't mind keeping.

Kinda reminds me of the episode of sienfeld where his GF put something of his in the toilet and wouldn't tell him what it was

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It survived and worked still. The tank got thrown out but the mod itself I didn't mind keeping.
Kinda reminds me of the episode of sienfeld where his GF put something of his in the toilet and wouldn't tell him what it was
hahaha, I'd probably buy new everything.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
hahaha, I'd probably buy new everything.
I'm not much of a germophobe so didn't bother me much lol. I mean my dogs drink from the toilet then lick my face so....

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Don't blow clouds in the camera to start or finish your video. Reviews, or especially video tutorials that start like this...get skipped by me.

Yeah...I get the idea. It makes vapor. Woah. Cool!

Don't be that guy. (Pretty sure you are not that guy, just don't prove me wrong)

Tried to find a simple wicking video to send a friend. What should be like a 3 minute video is like 8minutes cuz the dude making it needed to show all of us that with his wicking method, it creates vapor.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Don't blow clouds in the camera to start or finish your video. Reviews, or especially video tutorials that start like this...get skipped by me.

Yeah...I get the idea. It makes vapor. Woah. Cool!

Don't be that guy. (Pretty sure you are not that guy, just don't prove me wrong)

Tried to find a simple wicking video to send a friend. What should be like a 3 minute video is like 8minutes cuz the dude making it needed to show all of us that with his wicking method, it creates vapor.
I think I'll make a simple wicking video too then. Thanks for the idea :)

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
And don't keep repeating the same information over and over. Some reviewers keep telling the same information numerous times. If it's something very important then emphasis it but no need to repeat it 100 times in the 10 min video. On another note, it'd be nice to see informative videos for us new/newer vapors as in what's the difference between rda, rta and rdta with examples of each.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
And don't keep repeating the same information over and over. Some reviewers keep telling the same information numerous times. If it's something very important then emphasis it but no need to repeat it 100 times in the 10 min video. On another note, it'd be nice to see informative videos for us new/newer vapors as in what's the difference between rda, rta and rdta with examples of each.
I like that idea. Thanks

lordmage

The Sky has Fallen. the End is Here.
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
my style that i do. is get my impressions across as fast as possible. i never want a video longer the 10 minutes thats for sure. unless it is an in depth peice even then i would break it up into segments.

the one that i don't like is best expressed in a grimme green review. keep your reviews about what your reviewing. Vape gear to vape gear... beer to beer.

i have no problem with reviewers who in my book sell out. IE have their fingers in many pies. ala namber juice. trip rippers... and what not suck my mod and so on. each reviewer at some point in a video in the past said my friends new company then later we find out there a silent partner.
my problem is about transparency and honesty. if you're paid to do it then state it first thing. if you got it free for review then say it. if it is a pre-release tester. then dont post it unless the final public version shares the same flaws.

for the love of god dont rant like i just did.

edit: just check my longest videos are slightly over 10 minutes but that also includes opens and such that i dont use anymore https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLordmage

burley

Picky Bearded 'Backy Bum
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but don't hit the vape a hundred times going "WOAH BABY" each and every time. Hit it normally in any kind of conversation you're having in the beginning or in the wrap up, even compliment it or comment a little bit about it - I guess what my issue is, is people that feel the need to ham it up for the audience to a dumb degree. It's a vape tank, dripper, whatever; It's going to produce copious amounts of vapor. We all know this, we all expect this, and your cloud isn't anything new. Keeping eye contact with the camera as you lean back and take a gigantic pull to "show her off" is awkward and weird to me. To me, anyway. I don't know, hard to explain. It should feel like a natural conversation you're having with someone after looking in the display, pointing and saying "Hey, what's that thing?"

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
my style that i do. is get my impressions across as fast as possible. i never want a video longer the 10 minutes thats for sure. unless it is an in depth peice even then i would break it up into segments.

the one that i don't like is best expressed in a grimme green review. keep your reviews about what your reviewing. Vape gear to vape gear... beer to beer.

i have no problem with reviewers who in my book sell out. IE have their fingers in many pies. ala namber juice. trip rippers... and what not suck my mod and so on. each reviewer at some point in a video in the past said my friends new company then later we find out there a silent partner.
my problem is about transparency and honesty. if you're paid to do it then state it first thing. if you got it free for review then say it. if it is a pre-release tester. then dont post it unless the final public version shares the same flaws.

edit: just check my longest videos are slightly over 10 minutes but that also includes opens and such that i dont use anymore https://www.youtube.com/user/TheLordmage
thanks for that. mine came out to about 19 minutes but about 12 of them were upclose shots of the tank broken down and close ups of how the air flow works as well as showing what was inside the coil. I only spent about 7 minutes talking about the tank. I could try and cut it down a bit but 10 seems a little short but i'll try and be under 15 mins in the future. I do agree its hard to watch a long review

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I don't mean to beat a dead horse, but don't hit the vape a hundred times going "WOAH BABY" each and every time. Hit it normally in any kind of conversation you're having in the beginning or in the wrap up, even compliment it or comment a little bit about it - I guess what my issue is, is people that feel the need to ham it up for the audience to a dumb degree. It's a vape tank, dripper, whatever; It's going to produce copious amounts of vapor. We all know this, we all expect this, and your cloud isn't anything new. Keeping eye contact with the camera as you lean back and take a gigantic pull to "show her off" is awkward and weird to me. To me, anyway. I don't know, hard to explain. It should feel like a natural conversation you're having with someone after looking in the display, pointing and saying "Hey, what's that thing?"
lol yeah I'm not trying to play a character like most reviewers seem to do. I'm just gonna talk about the product as a vapor and inform people. I'd rather be informative then entertaining.

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You could also mention what e liquid you're using at the time when you review one as well. I think that also gives us another way of hearing about different or new brands and flavors. That is if you're not using the same brand/flavor each time. I'm not saying review the juice but it can lead someone to hearing about a brand/flavor they didn't know about.

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Vape gear to vape gear, beer to beer...best Grimm reference ever

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
lol yeah I'm not trying to play a character like most reviewers seem to do. I'm just gonna talk about the product as a vapor and inform people. I'd rather be informative then entertaining.
RipTrippers kills me, he's got great info on builds but hard to watch his ass!

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
You could also mention what e liquid you're using at the time when you review one as well. I think that also gives us another way of hearing about different or new brands and flavors. That is if you're not using the same brand/flavor each time. I'm not saying review the juice but it can lead someone to hearing about a brand/flavor they didn't know about.
I could. I like to use a reference juice. one that i know taste great in any build. for the review I did i was using a homemade juice which is what i planned on using in most reviews cause I didn't want to be "that guy" pimping out juice but you make a great point. lots of good companies with good pricing people haven't heard of. So I'll probably give that a go on my next one and shoot out a little love to @the_sauce_la for their great juices at great prices. I've purchased 8 bottles from them in the past month and spent a total of like 70 bucks. it's stupidly cheap and taste great. People should know about companies like this cause most budget juice companies suck

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
RipTrippers kills me, he's got great info on builds but hard to watch his ass!

yeah he's over annoying. Makes it hard to watch at times. The only reviewer i personally pay attention to and enjoy is DJLsb vapes. dude has amazing info but his videos are long and he's a little awkward but I love how in depth he gets. I watch quite a few other who are decent but DJLsb is the best IMO. Nobody breaks down coils for pre built tanks which is something i really wanted to do and did in my 1st video

LizClark0910

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
yeah he's over annoying. Makes it hard to watch at times. The only reviewer i personally pay attention to and enjoy is DJLsb vapes. dude has amazing info but his videos are long and he's a little awkward but I love how in depth he gets. I watch quite a few other who are decent but DJLsb is the best IMO. Nobody breaks down coils for pre built tanks which is something i really wanted to do and did in my 1st video
Yessss that guy! I endured one of his build tutorial videos, lol. Long, a bit awkward but extremely informative and couldn't have done it PROPERLY without him!

vapingunknown

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I enjoy djlsb as well. Long videos but very informative. I like how he gives you a table of contents with the time on it so you can skip to the parts you want to watch. I would dare to say he's the best "reviewer" I've watched. I also like mike vapes. I find him amusing and funny. And I gotta throw tia vapes out there as well. But that could be more of I think she's hot lmao. But she also does something I like as well. In her description of the video, she has her favorite mods, tanks, juices that she's using at the time of the video. Doesn't change often but it's a cool idea I think.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
I enjoy djlsb as well. Long videos but very informative. I like how he gives you a table of contents with the time on it so you can skip to the parts you want to watch. I would dare to say he's the best "reviewer" I've watched. I also like mike vapes. I find him amusing and funny. And I gotta throw tia vapes out there as well. But that could be more of I think she's hot lmao. But she also does something I like as well. In her description of the video, she has her favorite mods, tanks, juices that she's using at the time of the video. Doesn't change often but it's a cool idea I think.
I like that idea too. i'll add favorite items into my descriptions

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Myself, I have no trouble what so ever with long videos as long as you keep my attention.
Either entertain me or show me shit I didn't know or something new.
If your informative video ends up being 45 minutes long, great.
I've watched just about every one of Daniels videos and have never once looked at the clock wishing he was done.
He provides great info and goes to a much deeper level than anyone else.
Just be careful of camera angle to ensure you keep everything on camera that you're referencing.
If you point off to the left, turn the camera too.
Do your best to keep focus on both, the topic at hand and the camera on the object.
Both will come with practice/experience, don't rush it.
Take notes/be prepared.
Try to avoid saying"ummm"
But MOST IMPORTANTLY, have fun doing it.
If you aren't happy with what you're doing, we WILL see it.
Watch your video before posting it.
YOU are your worst critique, use it to your advantage however don't over critique it.
We accept mistakes.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Myself, I have no trouble what so ever with long videos as long as you keep my attention.
Either entertain me or show me shit I didn't know or something new.
If your informative video ends up being 45 minutes long, great.
I've watched just about every one of Daniels videos and have never once looked at the clock wishing he was done.
He provides great info and goes to a much deeper level than anyone else.
Just be careful of camera angle to ensure you keep everything on camera that you're referencing.
If you point off to the left, turn the camera too.
Do your best to keep focus on both, the topic at hand and the camera on the object.
Both will come with practice/experience, don't rush it.
Take notes/be prepared.
Try to avoid saying"ummm"
But MOST IMPORTANTLY, have fun doing it.
If you aren't happy with what you're doing, we WILL see it.
Watch your video before posting it.
YOU are your worst critique, use it to your advantage however don't over critique it.
We accept mistakes.
sound advice. i should have been more prepared for mine for sure. i went with the wing it technique lol. next one I'll have a cheat sheet nearby. Camera is a tough one. I'm using my phone and a vehicle mount to hold it lol but it takes great quality videos IMO and i can do 1080p 60fps which looks really nice on youtube. I can do 4k, but the editor I have doesn't do 4k and plus with youtube compression and the lack of people with 4k screens I think 1080p/60FPS gives overall better quality. I think the close up portion turned out pretty dam good, but the angle on the face portion was so/so it's hard to judge without seeing the camera but I think i have an idea for that. I'll put a mirror behind the camera lol or maybe hook up my phone to a monitor so i can see it live. i'll have to look into that functionality though. Also next time probably won't wear pajamas lol. That's the good part of being old and married, you don't care what people think about you as much. I'm more concerned if people like the info I give. Another one was finding a good room to do it in. I think the kitchen worked pretty good

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
sound advice. i should have been more prepared for mine for sure. i went with the wing it technique lol. next one I'll have a cheat sheet nearby. Camera is a tough one. I'm using my phone and a vehicle mount to hold it lol but it takes great quality videos IMO and i can do 1080p 60fps which looks really nice on youtube. I can do 4k, but the editor I have doesn't do 4k and plus with youtube compression and the lack of people with 4k screens I think 1080p/60FPS gives overall better quality. I think the close up portion turned out pretty dam good, but the angle on the face portion was so/so it's hard to judge without seeing the camera but I think i have an idea for that. I'll put a mirror behind the camera lol or maybe hook up my phone to a monitor so i can see it live. i'll have to look into that functionality though. Also next time probably won't wear pajamas lol. That's the good part of being old and married, you don't care what people think about you as much. I'm more concerned if people like the info I give. Another one was finding a good room to do it in. I think the kitchen worked pretty good
Your video was fine.
The only part of my previous post that was referencing your vid was more about location.
I like your mirror idea.
That'd be the cheapest idea of allowing you to see what is on camera.
Keep face in the upper 2/3 - 3/4 portion of the frame and it'd been perfect.
The info you provided was great.
I didn't want you to think I was criticizing your video, just providing over all advise of things that I personally look for.
You won't see me doing videos for 2 great reasons.
1. The amount of time it'd take for me to produce one that I'd want anyone to see
2. The amount of time it'd take for me to produce one that I'd want anyone to see
Not only does no one want to see me do a video, I AM my own worst critique so I'd have to redo the damn thing 47 times and still not be happy with the end result.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Your video was fine.
The only part of my previous post that was referencing your vid was more about location.
I like your mirror idea.
That'd be the cheapest idea of allowing you to see what is on camera.
Keep face in the upper 2/3 - 3/4 portion of the frame and it'd been perfect.
The info you provided was great.
I didn't want you to think I was criticizing your video, just providing over all advise of things that I personally look for.
You won't see me doing videos for 2 great reasons.
1. The amount of time it'd take for me to produce one that I'd want anyone to see
2. The amount of time it'd take for me to produce one that I'd want anyone to see
Not only does no one want to see me do a video, I AM my own worst critique so I'd have to redo the damn thing 47 times and still not be happy with the end result.
Nope didn't think u were criticizing at all. Just liking your feedback a lot. I want to make good informative videos. I like reading complaints about other reviewers cause it let's me know what not to do. I do think there is a niche for informative reviewers that are regular Joe's. Most reviewers I find obnoxious most seem not very informed on stuff either. I'd be happy if a few people here enjoyed my vids. I'm not looking to be a hugely popular reviewer.

Paratech

I forgot
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Nope didn't think u were criticizing at all. Just liking your feedback a lot. I want to make good informative videos. I like reading complaints about other reviewers cause it let's me know what not to do. I do think there is a niche for informative reviewers that are regular Joe's. Most reviewers I find obnoxious most seem not very informed on stuff either. I'd be happy if a few people here enjoyed my vids. I'm not looking to be a hugely popular reviewer.
If you keep making them, I'll keep commenting.
I have no trouble providing honest feedback.

Banshee

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not that my opinion matters, but yeah clip finger nails and wash hands. When someone has long nasty nails in their video, I can't focus on what they're trying to show me, I just stare at the nails in horror.

Totally agree with the over vaping. No need for that.

Also... I don't need 10 minutes spent on the exterior of the box and being read every letter like a kid. Show me the device.

But that's just my opinion. Skip the foreplay and get down to business.

VU Sponsors