Become a Patron!

YFTK Pulsar clone review

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thought I'd give a quick review of the Pulsar clone on this chilly morning!

So... for starters from first seeing the OG Mod Dog Pulsar I've been a big fan but couldn't justify the price. When i saw the cloners pick it up i was excited and jumped to purchase it from 3fvape @ $32.

Over all I'm happy with it, however it's not for the faint of heart... Any tinkerer wouldn't have problems but it's not trouble free out of the box. The contacts are fiddly and need lots of adjustment. Seems the fire pin on the button is just slightly too short and requires a strong push, which in turn, over time deforms the fire bar, which causes it to stop firing! Argh... Other out of the box complaint is that the battery cap threads are crunchy... Big time crunchy.

The bottle system is brilliant and i have seen no issues the yet. Seals tight. Can close off bottle when outside of mod and pocket or. Can adjust the flow from completely open to completely closed. Works great and is by far my favorite part of this mod! The only advise I'd give is do not adjust the 510 pin with the bottle in... I did this and ended up unscrewing the open/close "valve" thingy from the bottle. Minor hassle getting it back out :( but no damage or problem resembling.

The mod is really easy to completely disassemble using the included tool (the tool also adjusts the manual 510 pin). I see no problems maintaining the mechanical connections and cleaning the contacts, who appear to be silver plated :)

I originally ran with some old hg2's i had laying around while waiting on the authentic 2x700 kit from mod dog ($55 including shipping). In my limited usage with 18650's I saw potential :)

The 2x700 tube kit arrived yesterday... this is not a direct straight forward upgrade! The 20700 tube slides into the body about 3/4 the way freely then gets really tight... I don't plan on using the other sizes so i used the 18650 tube and manual pressure to "press fit" the 20700 tube in place. Was tight but i got it in, no damage to anything, however it's not coming out without some serious effort and most likely damage to the body/tube. This will not cause any future issues with disassembly for cleaning/adjusting... The tube will just remain in the body, everything else still breaks down.

Here's where my major problem appeared... The 2x700 kit comes with a new battery cap and... It's too short! After a good cussing and a lot of failed ideas I came up with a great solution. I cut a ~20mm circular piece from 26g beryllium copper sheet i had laying around for making contacts and put a .5mm dimple in the center. I placed this copper disc at the top of the mod on the negative battery side.

**Edit**
After realizing there was a very real possibility for a hard short with the disc I have added an insulating ring around the disc. I posted some images of the disc here [20mm copper disc for YFTK Pulsar clone 2x700 mod](https://imgur.com/gallery/HvMCU)

Now I'm making contact! The copper disc also appears to have resolved my contacts issue because it's hitting harder than before with less pressure to the button! I love the look and form factor. While I'm sure the issues i experienced would not occur with the authentic Pulsar.... Considering my cost was under $100 I've got a hell of a clone 20700 pulsar for under a bill.

Let me know if you have any questions :)
e1184a19ea5b3880137fb8507e3ee9e1.jpg

Last edited:

troydestroy

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OP edited to include the following:

After realizing there was a very real possibility for a hard short with the disc I have added an insulating ring around the disc. I posted some images of the disc here [20mm copper disc for YFTK Pulsar clone 2x700 mod](https://imgur.com/gallery/HvMCU)

VU Sponsors