Become a Patron!

XTAR VC4 vs Nitecore D4 review by KingPin!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hello Folks,

One of the first things I noticed when I took up vaping was the switch from panicking id lost my lighter to worrying about whether I had spare/topped up batteries to keep me going. Regardless of whether my regulated mods have balanced charging or certain features, other than testing for reviews I’ve always opted for external charging, I just prefer to use a product that’s dedicated to the job rather than a bolt on feature.

XTAR sent me through the VC4 to review but rather than review on its own, I wanted to see how it stacked up against my Nitecore D4. I want to provide an upfront caveat here; this review will be based on my end user experience.

What do you get?

NiteCore D4: The charger, a wall plug (EU 3 pin for me), Instruction book, Warranty card

XTAR VC4: The charger, a travel bag, a USB cable, Instruction book, Warranty card

IMG_1885.JPG

Travel bag aside as these chargers are pretty big for travelling, the main difference at this early stage is the way these devices plug into a power source. The VC4 can be plugged into any USB power source (less than 5V, 2.1A) i.e. laptop, Car USB jack, USB wall plug. Whilst it will suffer with a reduction in its output charge rate, depending on what it’s plugged into (0.35A in the car for instance versus 1A using mains AC), that versatility is really handy so it does get one up on the D4 in my book.

The downside here is XTAR don’t actually provide you with a wall plug as part of the kit. I find it a little disappointing considering most of the time a 4 slot charger is going to remain stationary. The D4 is mains powered only, does mean it’s less versatile but is ready to go straight out of the box gaining one over the VC4.

Finally just drawing initial impressions to a close I would have preferred XTAR used a common USB input connector like its siblings the VC2 and MC1, rather than the round pin version it uses. It will be harder to source and replace if it gets damaged.
IMG_1889.JPG

Section Pro’s
  • VC4 has greater versatility as to where you can charge.
  • Get a travel bag with the VC4.
  • D4 comes ready to go out of the box assuming you have a plug socket to use!
Section Cons
  • Lack of an external plug included for the VC4
  • Would have preferred the VC4 has a common USB input connector rather than the round one it’s easier to replace if it gets lost or damaged

Compatibility

The VC4 box says it’s compatible with

Li-ion (supports IMR, INR, and ICR Chemistry)

Sizes: 32650, 26650, 25500, 22650, 21700, 20700, 18700, 18650, 18500, 18490, 18350, 17670, 17500, 17335, 16340,14650,14500,10440

Ni-MH and Ni-CD

Sizes: A, AA, AAA, AAAA, SC, C, D)

The D4 box says it’s compatible with

Li-ion (Optimised for IMR Chemistry, Also Compatible with ICR and IFR Chemistry with manual voltage selection)

Sizes: 26650, 22650, 18650, 18490, 18350, 17670, 17500, 14500, 10440, 16340 (RCR123)

Ni-MH and Ni-Cd

Sizes: AA, AAA, AAAA, C)

Key:

IMR = (LiMn2O4) Lithium manganese oxide (LG HE2 & HE4)
INR = (LiNiMnCoO2) Lithium manganese nickel (Samsung 25R & 30Q, LG HG2, IJoy 20700, Sony uses NMC – cobalt in the mix as well I believe in its VTC range)
ICR = (LiCoO2) Lithium cobalt oxide
IFR = (LiFePO4) Lithium iron phosphate
Ni-MH = Nickel-metal hydride
Ni-Cd = nickel oxide hydroxide and metallic cadmium

I’ve been caught out by this before, although the D4 box and instruction manual doesn’t mention supporting the range of batteries the VC4 does, I’d say it supports all the ranges between 26650 – 16340 same as the VC4 supports, but best to check with the manufacturer yourself, My reasoning behind this is it’s not so much about how the D4 approaches charging those batteries, rather it has more to do with are the bays long enough and wide enough to house the cells, also whether or not these were all popular sizes at the time of going to market (my D4 is over a year old after all!).
IMG_1898.JPG

Regardless the VC4 charger does offer a wider range of compatibility for the larger cells (making use of the larger battery slots). The D4 does have a couple of areas going for it over the VC4 1) it can support IFR battery chemistries making use of low charging 2) this also helps with cells like the 3V RCR123 batteries.

It could be argued here that it really doesn’t matter for vapers since “nearly” all external batteries we will be using are in the IMR, INR 18650, 20700, 21700 categories. I noticed that the D4 doesn’t state it supports INR hybrid chemistries, again though this maybe a time to market thing, although it does state it’s optimised for IMR. I’ve been charging my INR/NMC cells on it fine for a good 6 months and haven’t seen anything out of the ordinary to report.

I will end here in saying it would have been nice to see the inclusion of a USB output port on both chargers so I don’t have to worry about finding an external wall plug for my internal battery mods.

Section Pros
  • VC4 supports wider range of batteries sizes.
  • D4 offers support for low charging IFR & CR123 Li-Ion battery chemistries
Section Cons
  • Neither charger offers USB output charging for periphery devices / USB internal battery products. I would like to have seen this feature on these.
  • Not sure if the D4 fully supports INR hybrid chemistry it doesn’t say anything in the book manual although I’ve been charging my INR batteries on it for months!
Size, Quality & Venting

Both chargers have 4 bays so are fairly big as a result. The VTC4 is slightly longer and wider than the D4, but has a very slightly shorter profile.

VC4 Dimensions: 149 x 115 x 35 (mm); Weight: 210 grams

D4 Dimensions: 143 x 9 x 36 (mm); Weight: 239g (without batteries and power cord)

IMG_1892.JPG
IMG_1893.JPG

They share similar venting at the back and both stay cool during their charge cycles. They are made of similarly tough plastic and the screen size is pretty much equal by the time the displays come on.

IMG_1890.JPG
With the similarities stated there are some areas that separate them;

The negative contact posts on the D4 are slightly thinner than the VC4 which leaves the posts more susceptible to bending over time (at least mine have a little).

IMG_1894.JPG
The additional size of the VC4 accounts for the fact it can handle the larger battery cells types. Using the two outer bays I’m able to fit two large C size cells at once as well as two18650 in the middle, something I’m unable to do on the D4. (These C cells are for demo only)

IMG_1932.JPG IMG_1931.JPG
Both support button and flat-top batteries. The button tops tend to slip off the positive terminal when I’m inserting them on VC4 (especially using the outer bays) although stay in place once I centre them. On the flip side the positive terminals on the D4 are a little too short to comfortably seat my C button top batteries.
IMG_1895.JPG
When using smaller batteries and Ni-MH/Ni-Cd on the VC4 its best stick to using the middle two charge bays unless you are charging 4 batteries at once. This is neither a pro nor a con just an observation as to how they charger expects you to use it.

I’d say of the two I found it easier to take batteries out of the D4 after a charge cycle, I found it especially difficult to remove batteries from the inner bays on the VC4. In terms of inserting batteries I prefer the VC4 as the spring offers a little less resistance than the D4.

Section Pros
  • Both have adequate venting
  • Both have decent screen sizes
  • VC4 can handle 2 large cells at once (over the D4 which can only handle 1)
  • The negative terminals on the VC4 are slightly thicker and less susceptible to bending
  • I find the D4 easier remove batteries from, batteries sit pretty deep in the VC4
  • I find the VC4 easier to insert batteries as there is less resistance from the spring.
Section Cons
  • Positive terminal on the D4 needs to be a bit taller to comfortably contact larger button top batteries
  • Button top batteries tend to slip on the VC4 positive terminals when inserting them
  • Difficult to easily remove 18650 batteries from the centre bays on the VC4
  • D4 negative posts may bend over time more so than the VC4.

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
User Interface

Both of these are excellent options they really are plug and play

The VC4 has a single central button that allows you to interact with two things 1) dim the screen when not in use; otherwise it remains on the whole time 2) cycle between charge bays, displaying all data on any two bays at once.

On its screen you have details of charge rate (dial at the top applicable to all), voltage status (dials at the sides), capacity restored since charging commenced, the channel (or charging bay selected) and battery type. The screen will display “Err” when there’s a problem, “None” when it’s unable to revive a low voltage cell” or “Full” when cycle is complete whilst changing the channel LED indicator from red to green.

IMG_1921.JPG

The D4 has two buttons at the side (“mode” and “slot”); it automatically goes into a standby when not in use which I like over the VC4. Pressing the “slot” button cycles through each of the independent charging bays providing details of charge rate, time spent charging, voltage status, . Pressing the mode button allows you to cycle through those three pieces of info quickly. Holding the “mode” button allows you to set/unset low charging against each slot individually (300mA instead of automatic 350/750mA)

On its screen you have details of charge rate, charge status on all 4 bays. Manually cycling through each battery bay using the “slot button” there is voltage status, charge rate, charge time, charge mode (CC – constant current or CV – constant voltage for Li-ion or dV/dt - voltage vs. time charge for Ni-MH and Ni-Cd), battery type, low charge when the “mode” button is held. The screen will display “Err” when there’s a problem or “ALL” when cycle is complete.

IMG_1927.JPG

If I remove or turn off power mid charge cycle, then re-insert/turn it back on, I can see that the D4 is able to pick up and select the right mode (Constant Voltage) for instance when above 4.12V. I cannot verify whether the VC4 has selected the right part of the cycle as this information is not visible to me on screen.

I really like the feature on the VC4 telling me how much capacity it’s been able to restore in the charge cycle, this is something the D4 doesn’t have, I’ll be able to use this as a rough gauge to see if a cell is starting to die on me in future. There is a caveat; it restarts the counter every time I turn it off and on (even mid cycle), this is not a con to me just something to be mindful of. I also prefer the look of the screen on the VC4 it’s both brighter and easier to see at an angle than the D4. I find the VC4 a lot more user friendly and easy to understand out of the box.

On the D4 I prefer having a view of all 4 charge slots at once and importantly the time it’s taken for the charge cycle to complete. Another feature I prefer is showing what stage of the charge cycle it’s in, Constant Current or Constant Voltage, with the added benefit of showing me the actual current being applied unlike the VC4.

It’s difficult for me to say whether I prefer one or the other here as I like features from both. I will say that the D4 probably wins it for me for the fact there is more live detail available and I have control over charging rate albeit simplistic.

Section Pros
  • Both are easy to use, plug and play great for those of us who lack in depth technical knowhow.
  • D4 allows you to select low charge which is better for smaller cells.
  • D4 shows all of the 4 bays at once for a quick overview of charge status.
  • D4 provides more information by selection through it manually and
  • D4 selects the correct part of the charge cycle when removing and replacing battery mid cycle, unable to verify this on the VC4.
  • VC4 gives a view of everything on screen including capacity it’s been able to charge in the cycle.
  • VC4 screen layout, brightness and screen viewing angle is better than the D4.
Section Cons
  • VC4 speed dials take up a lot of room so can only display two slots at once
  • VC4 lacks information on time taken to charge and current stage of the charge cycle (i.e. refreshing, CC, CV etc).
  • VC4 you have no ability to adjust the charging rate.
  • D4 Difficult to see the screen from a side angle
  • D4 doesn’t provide any detail of capacity charge

Charge times and Operations

The VC4 offers 1A charging using two batteries in the outer bays, and 0.5A charging when using all 4 bays or just the centre two. Obviously this is dependent on where you plug it into as I stated earlier. This is in contrast to the 350mA and 750mA on the D4. There is no way to adjust these “defaults” on either as the charger determines what it needs do depending on state, type, number, and where you have placed the batteries in the charge bays.

The VC4 definitely charges faster than the D4 (2 x18650 batteries from 3.5V charge about 30 minutes faster because it’s capable of using a higher current. For example; the same 2 Sony VTC5a 18650 cells, drained to 3.5V, took 3hrs 42minutes to charge on the D4, whereas for the same starting voltage it took 3hrs 11 minutes on the VC4. Similar time spacing results were seen on my Ni-MH batteries as well. It didn’t matter if I was using 2 or 4 bays, the VC4 was always faster using mains power as I’d expect.

I noticed testing my batteries on the VC4, its dial for the current isn’t live. When it goes into the final Charge stage its stays at 1A as opposed to ramping down to maintain voltage, I would have preferred that this information was live on each charge bay much like the D4. It does however keep a live track on the voltage state of the batteries.

IMG_1919.JPG

Putting my batteries upside down (reverse polarity) on both worked fine.

I don’t have a plethora of chemistry types to test but I do have IMR, INR, Ni-Mh chemistries and these chemistry types on both worked. I will say the only cell type I didn’t feel confident using on the VC4 was my button top; RCR123 3v 650mAh Li-ion batteries. Whist it charged them, the screen was going at 0.5/1A which is high for that little battery. But it’s tricky, like I said above what’s displayed on the screen of the VC4 and what’s actually going on under the hood might be different things, I did reach out to XTAR on this and they confirmed it was ok to charge this battery on here, even so I’d prefer it if the screen showed me what was going on. The D4 says it supports it up front and you can select low charge for that battery type which is a plus.

Inserting 18650 Li-ion batteries at low voltage as far I’d like to go (just under 3V) worked on both.

Didn’t notice anything untoward or noteworthy in terms of full charge cut off on either using Ni-MH and Li-ION batteries so assume both were working fine.

Both chargers keep the batteries cool; or warm to the touch mid cycle using mains power.

Both chargers have independent charging bays.

Section Pros
  • The VC4 is capable of charging faster than the D4 (depending on power source).
  • Both charges have safety in mind and cut off appropriately.
  • Both offer independent battery charging.
  • Reverse Polarity worked on both.
Section Con
  • Didn’t trust charging the CR123 3v on the VC4 although it did charge it.
  • VC4 doesn’t change the current dial when in constant voltage stage of charging so it’s not a live display.

Final Conclusion

So really when it comes down to it here, of the popular charger choices in the affordable price range both are great options.

I’d say the big draw for me on the VC4 is that it’s a lot more user friendly, has more versatility of the two, it’s capable of charging faster, and supports the larger battery sizes, and I reckon is more durable (negative posts).

Looking at the other side of the coin the big draw for me on the D4 is that it offers more detail regarding what’s going on and gives the user a bit of control to boot, it’s also capable of charging some batteries at lower current which the VC4 cannot do (or at least that I can see!).

Its bloody tough to pick a winner here I’ll be honest I’m struggling with it. It really comes down to what’s important to you; I really do like bits from both in equal measure, if I had to choose I’d say I’m gravitating towards the VC4 of the two simply because it offers more in the areas I care about.

Thanks for reading my ramblings until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
@Shenzhen XTAR ...

i noticed one other thing CC/CV is said on the D4

where as TC/CC/CV is said on the VC4 What's the purpose of the extra step?

i thought of the whole process as pulling a pint of beer, prefer simple haha and to me as an end user both chargers get the job done been using my cells for a while now on the D4 without issue

But just wanted to know what you think the difference is?

Shenzhen XTAR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks for inviting @KingPin!

TC is the abbreviation of trickle charging. Trickle charging can activate slightly over-discharged batteries with a small current, to make them rise the voltage steadily and get better prepared for constant charging current flow, which causes much less impact to the battery's system.

As we know, some heavily over-discharged batteries are unable to be charged again. The "0V Activation Function" invented by us can transfuse slight current into batteries and gradually bring them back to a normal voltage, so they can be fully charged again.

If the inserted battery is a normal one, it will directly head into the CC(constant current) mode.

When the battery is nearly full, it will switch into CV(constant voltage) mode to make it slower, waiting for a precise cut when the battery reaches the standard voltage.

CC/CV process can be simulated by pulse charging method(which only applies well on Ni-Cd&Ni-MHs but not Li-ions), but the essence of pulse charging--rapid current changing, isn't good for Li-ions' lifespan.

All XTAR chargers applies the real TC/CC/CV charging method by charging with smooth current flow. Just like driving cars, we shift gears gradually when accelerating and pull over gradually for better accuracy. It's not only a faster method, but also a healthy one for Li-ion batteries.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks for inviting @KingPin!

TC is the abbreviation of trickle charging. Trickle charging can activate slightly over-discharged batteries with a small current, to make them rise the voltage steadily and get better prepared for constant charging current flow, which causes much less impact to the battery's system.

As we know, some heavily over-discharged batteries are unable to be charged again. The "0V Activation Function" invented by us can transfuse slight current into batteries and gradually bring them back to a normal voltage, so they can be fully charged again.

If the inserted battery is a normal one, it will directly head into the CC(constant current) mode.

When the battery is nearly full, it will switch into CV(constant voltage) mode to make it slower, waiting for a precise cut when the battery reaches the standard voltage.

CC/CV process can be simulated by pulse charging method(which only applies well on Ni-Cd&Ni-MHs but not Li-ions), but the essence of pulse charging--rapid current changing, isn't good for Li-ions' lifespan.

All XTAR chargers applies the real TC/CC/CV charging method by charging with smooth current flow. Just like driving cars, we shift gears gradually when accelerating and pull over gradually for better accuracy. It's not only a faster method, but also a healthy one for Li-ion batteries.

Thanks for responding

So you are saying here the D4 is simulating Constant Charge and Constant Voltage but is really pulse charging as it would on a Ni-MH?

When you say smooth current flow yeah mean rather than pulsing it stays around the level set at particular points and forms a smooth curve? So my pulling a pint of beer analogy does fit.

Shenzhen XTAR

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I gotta say the graph shows so, which is posted by HKJ.

Ymlgovp.png

The smooth current of XTAR chargers means we charge Li-lion batteries with no cut-outs in the process, the current stays in a stable level all the time to provide a solid envorinment for batteries to charge healthily.

y2VBlUp.png

VC4 has the ability to recognize battery types intelligently, when you insert batteries that can be better charged by pulse charging method(like Ni-MH batteries), it'll switch into pulse charging method.

QQrJmMh.png

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
I gotta say the graph shows so, which is posted by HKJ.

Ymlgovp.png

The smooth current of XTAR chargers means we charge Li-lion batteries with no cut-outs in the process, the current stays in a stable level all the time to provide a solid envorinment for batteries to charge healthily.

y2VBlUp.png

VC4 has the ability to recognize battery types intelligently, when you insert batteries that can be better charged by pulse charging method(like Ni-MH batteries), it'll switch into pulse charging method.

QQrJmMh.png

Awesome thanks xtar!

Hello about to buy XTAR VC4 and its USB plug is a separate buy with output of 5V 2.1A and input of 0.40A (first picture attached).

I have at home two cellphone chargers (2nd picture) that has a rating of
1. Output 5V 2A / Input 0.30A (Black Charger)
2. Output 5V=2A OR 4.5V=5A OR 5V=4.5A / Input 0.75A (White Charger)

Can i use my cellphone chargers to charge the VC4 or need to buy a separate one with the same rating as of the device.

Thanks in advance for the assistance.xtar.jpgIMG_20211017_175426.jpg

Last edited:
vc4.pngvc4b.png
Thanks but recommended is 2.1A. Are my cellphone USB okay with 2A only? So i don't need to buy xtar is offering, a separate usb.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors