Become a Patron!

Wtf is up with Clapton wire.

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Spent all day today getting the hang of building Clapton wire. Finally preeeeeetty much got it down, but now I try to work with the shit and it is annoying as fuck! Super springy and for all the hastle waaaaay not worth it. Im having a hell of a time just coiling with it. looking for maybe an alternative if anyone has any suggestions. Just ordered a bunch of wire and I'm tryna get down with some more complex builds than the nano, micro, macro. Im aiming for sub ohm or super sub ohm. But not really too picky either way, just lookin for some help\advice.

Wire I have now is 32 and 34 gauge kanthal, 28 gauge kanthal, and 26 gauge nichrome 60. Thank u!

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Get some ball bearing fishing spinners, string 3-4 of them together, makes fused Claptons simple to make. Grimm Green has a YouTube, watch it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also quality wire makes a big difference, huge actually. I only use -
Kidney Puncher
Atomizer Wick
Pure Atomist

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Got temco wire. I wouldn't know the difference right now anyways but it seems like its pretty good. Imma look it up and give it a try tho thanks

madjaggar

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You could always put a lighter under it till it gets red. That'll stiffen it up. Just don't do to much it it might get hard to work with that way too

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
  1. Cut the length needed for your single or dual coil + 1-2" extra
  2. Clamp it in pretty much any build deck (I use a cheap CSMNT clone postless deck), no need to make any coils at this time
  3. Glow it
  4. Remove it from the deck
  5. No longer springy!

Clever!!!

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I nailed the fused Clapton and like it much better. Ramp up time is super slow tho haha. Used 26 nichrome 60 and 32 kanthal.

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Definitely need some nylon tipped pliers tho. I can't straighten that shit by hand. Thank you everybody

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ok I'll give it a try! Still trying to get the hang of it yet

After you make a few fused, gets really easy.

And for twists in your fused wire, grab the swivel end with pliers. Run the drill in the opposite direction you wrapped it with. Just split second pulses. Until you work out most of the twists.

And less tension on the wrap wire will lead to less twists in the core.

A few twists will come out in coiling. So no need to be "perfect"

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Yup I noticed that. I'm gonna give that a shot on my next go round. I'll let u know how it works!

Plantefood

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
After you make a few fused, gets really easy.

And for twists in your fused wire, grab the swivel end with pliers. Run the drill in the opposite direction you wrapped it with. Just split second pulses. Until you work out most of the twists.

And less tension on the wrap wire will lead to less twists in the core.

A few twists will come out in coiling. So no need to be "perfect"
Tried running it backwards in the drill and did not work for me. I can see how it could though! It started working n then went wild lol. Imma have to practice that technique yet haha. Also used the 34 gauge n it was way better like u said thank u again!

BKTOAD

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tried running it backwards in the drill and did not work for me. I can see how it could though! It started working n then went wild lol. Imma have to practice that technique yet haha

I might not have explained it well.

For an example, watch m.terk's video on youtube for alien coils. Dismiss the fact that it is an alien and fast-forward to after he makes the alien wire and is getting the twists out.

gakudzu

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Tried running it backwards in the drill and did not work for me. I can see how it could though! It started working n then went wild lol. Imma have to practice that technique yet haha. Also used the 34 gauge n it was way better like u said thank u again!
Yep. Gotta take her reeeeal slow. It's easy to overrun it. Ask me how I know LOL

Xtaci

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also quality wire makes a big difference, huge actually. I only use -
Kidney Puncher
Atomizer Wick
Pure Atomist

Couls you please refer me to where you got this information? Ive never used anything other than lightningvapes kanthal a1. I would be interested in if there really was a difference in wires

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Couls you please refer me to where you got this information? Ive never used anything other than lightningvapes kanthal a1. I would be interested in if there really was a difference in wires

Direct use of them and I'm certainly not alone ;)

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What about something a bit simpler that still works well- parallel up the Nichrome? 2 strands with 5 wraps around a 3MM bit (so the surface area of a standard 10 wrap) will bring you out to 0.14-0.15 Ohms dual coil, which would well be within the subohm territory.

Or you could try triple parallel with the 28G-this will heat up really fast due to the size of the wire and you would be surprised how much it can actually chuck. I like the flavour from standard and parallel coils too.

Xtaci

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
What about something a bit simpler that still works well- parallel up the Nichrome? 2 strands with 5 wraps around a 3MM bit (so the surface area of a standard 10 wrap) will bring you out to 0.14-0.15 Ohms dual coil, which would well be within the subohm territory.

Or you could try triple parallel with the 28G-this will heat up really fast due to the size of the wire and you would be surprised how much it can actually chuck. I like the flavour from standard and parallel coils too.
I really recommend a fishtail coil. It calculates well as a twisted coil. A basic 3 loop fishtail coil calculates as a 6 core twisted. I use a 3 loop 28g fishtail and its the best flavor ive ever gotten off a coil. I highly recommend it
92a5d71fa4b616eea2140bb7cd41035c.jpg

VU Sponsors