Become a Patron!

Wotofo Serpent SMM RDTA & Profile RDA - My Take

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
EDIT few days later: Updated

After using these two devices awhile longer, I was a bit unfair to Wotofo in my original review (left below) and want to correct that here.

Once the 'leak' issue with the Wotofo Profile was straightened out (comes installed with squonk pin, duh)... it has become my favorite device. Using it with VandyVape 316L mesh and it has beautiful flavor without any taste of metal (to me anyway). The mesh coil is .19ohms, vaping in TC at 380F/40w and it's a really nice vape with nice clouds. Well done Wotofo. Never thought I'd be a dripper but it really isn't a hassle like I thought it would be (to drip). Very quiet, smooth, nice vape. And the deck is phenomenal. Easiest ever. (Save that little plastic 'straw' thingy if you build your own coils as it's easy to use your own cotton to squeeze one end into it, and insert your wick under the mesh.)

The Serpent SMM also grew on me once I discovered the included staple coil was Nichrome 80 and PuffOn schooled me on using NiCr80 in power mode. Assuming it was kanthal had the watts too high initially and got a bad burned hit. Switched to a SS316L coil, and that wasn't very satisfying. Stuck another of the included NiCr80 coils in there with proper settings and it's an acceptable vape. Doesn't chuck clouds like the Profile and not as much flavor, but the Profile is a dripper, so apples/oranges. But it's easy to build on and will be ordering more NiCr80 ribbon wire for it. It is a bit loud and doesn't produce immense clouds (but acceptable) so don't know how long I'll keep it in rotation but I like the deck so much, I'll use it awhile and see how it goes.

One complaint I do have about the Serpent SMM is that (like others reported) mine leaks. I don't carry it (sits on my desk) but every time I handle it, it has a thin layer of juice on the tank. I can even see little droplets of juice seep from the top O-ring every so often (even when the tank is only half full! that's a mystery!) and the bottom o-rings leak onto the AF ring. It's not continuously pouring or anything but it's enough that it's always messy (gets juice all over your hands).

And one thing. After vaping on both those for over a week (and raving about my Aromamizer in the first review) I got out the Aromamizer again with it's dual coil SS316L build... and could overwhelmingly taste the SS... which I had apparently gotten used to before and never noticed. It does chuck the clouds but I don't like that flavor. Which is not present with the SS 316L mesh [in the Profile]. Making me wish the Aromamizer had a deck like the profile!

IAC will stick with rotating between the Profile and Serpents for now. And really can't say enough about the Profile. When they come out with a tank version of it, I'm there. Original review follows and all comments following it are in relation to the original reviews.

Got both about a week ago.

Background (to explain some upcoming cons): I have been vaping on the Aromamizer Supreme 7ml DC tank for about 2 years and love it. It creates dense, creamy vapor, tons of clouds and good flavor. But was tired of making coils and wanted a newer deck, single coil, hoping to come close to replicating the AS experience.

Added the Profile (dripper) just because it's a really nice deck, easy to build, and the only mesh deck I've seen I was interested in trying.

Also I vape 100% VG (few drops of DW) with little DIY flavoring, so VG really is close to 100% and no tank is made for that. Have had to drill the juice holes of every tank I've ever owned to get the vapor I want. So with those considerations in mind...

Wotofo Serpent SMM 25mm:

Pros:
really nice deck - only takes a second to install a coil
comes with 3 contact coils, flat wire (but...)

Cons:
nowhere does it say what the metal is (more on that)
doesn't wick max VG well (and so...)
vapor production is wispier vs thick and creamy (and so...)
flavor is weaker than I'm used to
loud when you pull (performs better with a slow long pull)

First the coil. Assumed since it didn't say what the metal was, it was kanthal. So was in power mode. WRONG! First hit was fine (after I'd just installed and juiced up the coil) but within the next couple pulls I got a huge burn that sent me into a coughing fit. Actually tasted/felt like the cotton caught fire (it didn't but saw later the bottom of the coil was fried). Got online to see what the metal was, and some said kanthal but others said they contacted Wotofo and the coils are Ni80 (Nichrome). Well that explains THAT! [EDIT: removed rant about having to vape nickel in TC when I was corrected that Ni80 uses power mode.]

Tossed the coil and instead put in SS316L to get a fair comparison of what I'm used to anyway.

Vapor only nears thick upon installing/juicing the coil. But quickly diminishes. Tried thinning the wick, thickening the wick, extending the tails just past the holes, shortening the tails to just into the holes (all vaping several hours between - this has been going on a week). Tried less watts, more watts, less F, more F... This is a spaced 24g, 5 wrap, 3.5mm, .30ohm coil. Ended up at 30w / 420F (where I started) as the best setting I can get for what I want, but have to drip into it anyway and still not approaching the AS.

Finally this morning drilled the juice holes though they are dangerously close to the threaded deck, so made them a little oblong instead. It helped, but this unit will probably end up in the graveyard of tanks I tried and didn't care for. Sadly, since I love the deck. (I realize some will say the AS is a DC so what do you expect, but the AS is also a very TALL tank with a tall 510 drip tip I use from an old Kanger tank, and the Serpent is squatty with a short, fat drip tip, so I did expect a closer experience than I got.)

Wotofo Profile 25mm (Dripper/Squonker):

Pros:
Super-cool mesh build deck, EASIEST deck to build
quiet, smooth vape
good vapor production
good flavor
**has a 510 pin so you don't have to use a squonker (but...)

Cons:
**510 pin doesn't screw down tight so it leaks into my 510 connection
(see EDIT down the way, this was user error)

This little guy is mostly a treat. I didn't stick with the included kanthal mesh long (it had issues and got a burned spot early on), so switched to VandyVape SS316L mesh. Also, the super thick cotton it comes with might be great for wicking thinner juice but it did not wick max VG well, so switched to my own organic cotton and less material.

It has good taste and vapor, my only gripe is it leaks. I have it on an old spare IPV4S which has vent holes in the bottom for the battery compartment. When I picked it up noticed a little juice imprint underneath it. Dried everything... then later, same thing. This happened several times. Went to change batts and there was a little juice inside the compartment. ? Later unscrewed the tank and the 510 connection was nearly puddled with juice.

They include an Allen for the 510 pin, so checked to see if it was tightened down and it was not. Went to do that, and it gets to a point it's still not anywhere near tight, then spins back into the looser state. ?? So it had been as tight as it gets. Don't know if this is by design or I got a bad one with stripped threads... or they just think most people will use a squonker so the machining was poor.

**EDIT: I was curious if the 510 pin was poorly threaded and noticed a gold screw in the goody bag, so was going to swap it out. Turns out the 510 pin that came installed IS the squonker pin, but the center hole was so tiny (and inlaid deep inside the Allen depression) I didn't realize it even had a hole! This explains the "leaking"! (D'oh)! But the extra gold screw (that does NOT have a hole!) is the wrong size for anything on the device, or so I thought. DJLsb's Wotofo YT video to the rescue. He pointed out the squonker pin (which is unique because it is long with two diameters... bottom thicker to screw into base, top thinner to screw into the downward 'hanging' sleeve of a top silver screw that holds the spring in place along with the ceramic wick rest on the deck), is actually 2 pieces... only my squonker pin came out locked together as one piece, and didn't look like it came apart. Finally used vice grips on the neck at the bottom to remove the tiny inserted 510 pin with the hole, and replaced it with the little gold screw in the pack. Hope that helps someone else whose squonker pin comes out in one piece and they can't figure out how to install the dripper pin. / END EDIT **

Overall the Profile is fine, though have to say it's no better than my old IGO-L dripper for flavor and vapor.

Bottom line, the Serpent SMM is probably awesome for thin juice, but not a tank I'd recommend for max VG if you like dense clouds and vapor. The Profile is probably one most people would be happy with. It's certainly a great mesh deck to try. Just beware (for non-squonkers out there) that it comes WITH the squonk pin installed, so swap that out first if you plan to drip [vs squonk].

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You might try the newer Steam Crave Aromamizer Supreme v2. Separate purchase single coil deck & additional 7ml tanks & a ultra tank/drip tip since you are a fan of the original. Comes in lots of colors too!

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Ni80 can only be used in power mode.
Ni200 for TC.

Wow! Well my bad! Funny, it sure as heck didn't work in power mode for me. (Used to use Ni200 in TC couple/few years ago before switching to Ti then to SS.) I don't like a hot vape so the watts were def not cranked up, but I remember with Ni200 it heats quickly and uses less power... so maybe the watts were still too high for Ni80 (if it also heats fast).

Thanks for that. If I ever give the other two coils a try I will know now to use PM and start very VERY low. I'd ask what watts you recommend but can't remember the ohms of that coil now... will just start with 12w and work my way up.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It’s actually the Steam Crave Aromizer Supreme v2.1 ;)

No worries. I just want the decks anyway and thanks so much for letting me know about those. I got a single coil and a dual coil deck (in case I don't mind building the dual on the newer design). Oops... are you saying the replacement decks only work with the V2 AS? I have the original AS... guess I better go check quick!

EDIT: Looks like (from one reference I found so far) that the single coil deck that is for "AS V2" works for AS V1 and V2. The dual coil deck doesn't specify V2 so I assume it's for the original AS. Will give them both a try anyway. :)

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
No worries. I just want the decks anyway and thanks so much for letting me know about those. I got a single coil and a dual coil deck (in case I don't mind building the dual on the newer design). Oops... are you saying the replacement decks only work with the V2 AS? I have the original AS... guess I better go check quick!

EDIT: Looks like (from one reference I found so far) that the single coil deck that is for "AS V2" works for AS V1 and V2. The dual coil deck doesn't specify V2 so I assume it's for the original AS. Will give them both a try anyway. :)
The single coil deck does fit into the original Aromamizer Supreme as well as the v2 or v2.1 but it whistles in the original. I tried. It’s perfect in the v2 or v2.1 perhaps because of the new Honeycomb airflow.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Hey thanks for that info! I had second thoughts and canceled the order when I thought it might not fit (since I just wasted money on the other stuff I won't be using)... until I could find out for sure, hoping to re-order... but a whistle is a deal breaker.

One thing's for sure... won't be using the Serpent SMM... just can't get that thing to satisfy. Tried an Ni80 coil again, this time informed (thanks to PuffOn), but nothing compares to the AS, so am about to sit down and wind a bunch of coils for the next month or so...

Guess if it ain't broke... That said, sure would like a Serpent-style deck in the AS! The dual coil AS updated deck isn't a design I'd choose if it were up to me to make a new deck for it... have to cut the leads just right and since I use spaced coils and the screws go IN so far, not sure if it would involve having to bend the leads to avoid contacting the coil... which would be a lot more trouble than the stock post deck.

Now the single coil updated deck looks nice... too bad about the AF thing!

Guess I'll just stick with my setup as is until something else comes along. At least the vape is perfect, if not the stock post deck. And while building is important, a nice deck isn't why you vape... the vape has to hit the spot too, so... it is what it is!

Last edited:

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hey thanks for that info! I had second thoughts and canceled the order when I thought it might not fit (since I just wasted money on the other stuff I won't be using)... until I could find out for sure, hoping to re-order... but a whistle is a deal breaker.

One thing's for sure... won't be using the Serpent SMM... just can't get that thing to satisfy. Tried an Ni80 coil again, this time informed (thanks to PuffOn), but nothing compares to the AS, so am about to sit down and wind a bunch of coils for the next month or so...

Guess if it ain't broke... That said, sure would like a Serpent-style deck in the AS! The dual coil AS updated deck isn't a design I'd choose if it were up to me to make a new deck for it... have to cut the leads just right and since I use spaced coils and the screws go IN so far, not sure if it would involved having to bend the leads to avoid contacting the coil.

Now the single coil updated deck looks nice... too bad about the AF thing!

Guess I'll just stick with my setup as is until something else comes along. At least the vape is perfect, if not the stock post deck. And while building is important, a nice deck isn't why you vape... the vape has to hit the spot too, so... it is what it is!
When you’re ready, I would definitely pickup a SC Aromamizer Supreme v2.1 it comes with a postless deck & buy the single coil deck. With your original Supreme if you use the postless deck you can peep through the airflow hole with a flashlight to check your coil height. Just a heads up Steamcrave is releasing a 23mm Aromamizer single coil rta/rdta soon.

Don’t know if you Facebook but if you do join the Steamcrave Fan Page. All the SC news is there.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Did you mean to write "23mm" ...? The original is a 25mm, I thought...?

And yes... an AS 2.1 sounds like the way to go... then the SC deck as an alternative. BTW, how satisfied are you using a SC in the Supreme after being used to the DC? Do you notice a huge drop in vapor? Or maybe you can build a bigger coil in the SC and it compensates a bit?

(No, don't FB but maybe SC has a twitter feed I can follow...) Thanks again for all the info!

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Did you mean to write "23mm" ...? The original is a 25mm, I thought...?

And yes... an AS 2.1 sounds like the way to go... then the SC deck as an alternative. BTW, how satisfied are you using a SC in the Supreme after being used to the DC? Do you notice a huge drop in vapor? Or maybe you can build a bigger coil in the SC and it compensates a bit?

(No, don't FB but maybe SC has a twitter feed I can follow...) Thanks again for all the info!
Nope wasn’t a typo they will be releasing a 23mm in December if all goes well.

I love it with the single coil deck. I don’t notice a drop in vapor. And yes I use a bigger single coil it’s a 3.5mm ID I think.

No problem, I keep on buying new rta’s to try & it seems the ones I’m most happy with are the Steamcrave ones.

"11"

Silver Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
That's great to know you enjoy the SC just as much... (just rebuilt the AS original with dual 3.5mm coils). Will keep an eye out for the new AS and see what shakes out. :)

VU Sponsors