Become a Patron!

Wotofo Recurve Squonk & Recurve RDA Review by KingPin!

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Hi Folks,

Gone are the ways of the old for Mike Vapes…airy RDA’s jostling with middle ground performance. I personally felt the Icon in particular fell into this category, it seems many felt as I did; the follow up the “Iconic RDA” was but a mere sub note in the catalogue of product releases before slipping into realms of the bargain basement. Perhaps this is less of a sign of its performance and more a sign of the times with so much coming out these days, either way I didn’t partake that time around.

I don’t know why Mike decided to split company with VandyVape in the end, but to me with the RDA I’m reviewing here from Wotofo, it was his way of sticking two fingers up in their general direction. The Recurve seemingly fixes a lot of the things I felt were missing from the Kylin Mini, yet offers the same fantastic performance in a small, solid squonkable form

I’ve had the RDA for a few months now as such it’s given me plenty of time to get to know it, on top of that I’ll be covering the optional aftermarket 22mm Conversion Caps and Recurve Squonk Mod in this review.

I purchased the Recurve RDA myself, Wotofo sent the Squonker and 22mm caps for the once over. As always I don’t like to make recommendations in my reviews, instead I provide you with all my findings should you be interested in any of the products in the hope it bolsters your research.

So without further ado….I’ll cover the RDA and optional top caps in Part 1 and Squonker in Part 2 (If viewing this review from a phone log in to see photos in normal size)

Part 1 - The Recurve RDA & 22mm Top Caps

RDA Specification Overview & What’s in the box

• Visible Height: 30.7mm
  • Diameter: 24mm at the base
  • Well Depth: 3.8mm
  • Thread length 4.74mm (gold plated positive pin)
  • Construction: 304 Stainless Steel, Resin Drip Tip, PMMA Drip Tip, Delrin Adaptor.
  • Drip Tip: 810 - Height 9mm x Width 16mm (Tapered Bore 8.5mm > 10.4mm)
  • Airflow: 2 side areas on top cap (each side contain six 1.1mm holes)
  • Chamber Diameter: 18mm
  • Post distance for coil width: 8.65mm
  • Deck length between posts: 9mm
  • Chamber Height: 8mm
  • Airflow on Deck: Same as top cap
  • Wicking Area Size: 8.6mm x 3.2mm
  • Extras: Straight Glass, 510 Adaptor, O-rings, screwdriver, 4 spare screws, Coil wrapping/measuring tool, cotton, 3 coils, positive pin, spare PMMA drip tip
RDA Product Information: https://www.wotofo.com/wotofo-recurve-rda.html

RDA Available Colours: Blue, Black, Stainless, Gold, Rainbow, Gunmetal

22mm Top Caps Specs (Same as 24mm top cap above except)
  • Diameter: 22mm
  • Drip Tip: 810 - Height 6mm x Width 16mm (Tapered Bore 7.9mm > 9.3mm)
  • Extras: Beauty Ring (24mm), O-Rings
Top Cap Conversion Product Information: https://www.wotofo.com/wotofo-22mm-conversion-cap-for-recurve-rda.html

Available Colours: Ultem, Black, Stainless, Black Frosted, Clear Frosted, Gunmetal

Impressions, Build Quality & Assembly

Wotofo don’t skimp on the spares with the Recurve RDA, there’s plenty to get you started which I love seeing, the coils in the box are great and they give you 3 of them. Just note they are Nichrome so those out there allergic to the nickel watch for that – my first point out here is Wotofo fails to mention this information outside of the webpage. It should be included in the manual or back of the box at least.

90A32A29-D0D4-414B-B096-A8A15CF6C98F.jpeg

The stock Resin drip tip is great if you like an 810, in fact it’s one of the most comfy stock tips out there in terms of size and avoiding the heat generated within the RDA. A fairly restricted draw is the order of the day on the Recurve (even wide open) and with this drip tips tapered bore (8.5mm up to 10mm) it suits single large diameter coil builds well. Having said that I found to get the best flavour performance from this RDA a 510 tip is the way to go, so rather than including an exact copy spare (albeit PMMA) I’d rather have seen a narrower 510 resin version to allow the vapour to condense in the small top chamber a little better. I’ve been using the Augvape Merlin drip tip with the adaptor and think it’s a perfect pairing for my tastes.

7D616001-EF96-4765-8284-A81EDD20F665.jpeg 2927FDE5-A9C7-48C7-8270-7750350864D8.jpeg

I did find the 810 O-Ring a little lose up top which is more noticeable once you start vaping so careful not to knock the tip out accidently.

CB695AFE-ABB6-412C-ADEE-C3D80FF83D3D.jpeg

Machining is good overall (a few little blemishes about on the blasted deck but nothing major noteworthy), I’ve used this RDA pretty much every day since I bought it (Early June 2018) and despite a few dinks in the paint it’s stood up well to wear and tear fairly well. I chose the black with red drip tip and it’s still my favourite colour option out of the lot because I don’t like the gaudy graphic on the side, but this option hides it well.

0E32A3A0-B414-4859-A60D-8EF685A10C6F.jpeg
843F8DF1-C2CB-405B-8CDE-8EB85C2830A2.jpeg

Unfortunately the top cap is a really tight fit due to the bottom O-rings being overly large, I have to lube these up with e-juice properly to get the bugger on the base. Even when I manage to get the cap on I have to screw the RDA on a lot tighter than I like using its internal airflow stops, otherwise as I'm adjusting airflow it loosens from the mod which is annoying, especially if I ever have to take the cap off to reset the position.

1BFF1F80-AE3B-4089-9CD7-78AF3978A4B1.jpeg

There is an extra step out lip inside the chamber (where the stops are located) which allow it to rest on top of the deck to ensure the holes line up flush with the posts, as a result there is very little loss of draw pressure like I witnessed on the Oumier VLS RDA.

75C804CF-343B-49F2-9568-46F3567C9448.jpeg

Despite the cap being so tight I noticed juice still manages to find its way under the base often which is always a risk using top caps without a lip, and this is ever more prevalent if I take the cap off to drip, so I just avoid removing it while in use. It’s possible to centre drip with this RDA but the central channel is really small and re-dripping is required often, outside of flavour testing this is highly irritating, so in my mind it’s definitely a squonk only RDA which is fine for me since I prefer squonking any RDA if I can.

I found it fairly forgiving when it comes to over squonking. RDAs like the Hadaly will leak with an itchy trigger finger long before this one does, I can fill it up to about half way up the post without incident, after that point all bets are off.

I don’t particularly like the flat head bottom filling pin, preferring instead the allen key types as I think they offer a better seal and they generally come with a larger bore to squeeze juice into and suck excess back from the deck easier.

E54CCE13-830B-45ED-9790-CF898728689E.jpeg

The tank breaks down into 3 parts for cleaning and maintenance (10 if you really strip down).

878ED804-0CC4-4586-B2FE-0E9B91B69D2C.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Impressions, Build Quality & Assembly Continued

It’s been well documented how thick the top cap is giving rise to its premium feel and weight, on top of that how small the deck was by comparison (20mm diameter). Fortunately by waiting so long to drop this review I can see what Wotofo & Mike’s full game plan was for this RDA; wait a few months then refresh marketing by shaving away the 24mm curves, and release a conversion top cap leaving it with a straight 22mm shell. Nice idea although why wait until after launch Wotofo? I’d much rather have paid a little more and had it included within the pack as an option.

C4620CAD-9217-4843-B4B8-283179D591C7.jpeg 12365391-03FD-482B-86AD-84C21761B86F.jpeg

Being this wasn’t the case to answer the question: “Are these 22mm conversion caps worth the extra outlay?”….Here’s my findings to help answer that question for you;
  • There’s no magic going on, it’s the same exact cap inside where all the action happens, which is why I believe it should have been included (it’s not a true re-design, it’s an aesthetic change albeit a nice looking alternative).
B9D0672B-869B-484B-867C-59CF937778B3.jpeg
  • I did notice marginal improvement in flavour but I’d say this is due to the alternative smaller bore drip tip included.
91CD3C65-C6CB-4F60-8004-209A096E1A3E.jpeg 2CA536AB-1618-415A-8626-DD4D18638D4A.jpeg
  • The 22mm conversion caps accepts the original 810 tip (or others) if you still want to use that option.
6BA8D1E9-5B5B-4830-BABD-CE4A737281F5.jpeg
  • The deck O-Rings still make it difficult to get these 22mm top caps on without lubing thoroughly first.
  • Although the top caps are thinner they are still rigid in form (even the plastic caps are pretty rigid at the 1mm point).
  • Large coil builds will warm the 22mm caps quickly (except for the frosted PMMA versions, but then you run the risk of damaging those with higher wattages).
  • The frosted PMMA cap holds up pretty well. I’ve had some citric juice running through this cap for some weeks including using a 70+ Watt coil, and apart from some dulling and early colouration of the O-ring it’s held up fine.
6615A12A-367E-4600-9B34-F6A1003FE941.jpeg
  • Each cap comes with their own matching colour beauty ring but not their own coloured 510 drip tip adaptor. So I had to resort to using the “off looking” Delrin black adaptor in all of them which is a shame.
My final thoughts on the conversion caps would be this. If you like lower wattage single battery builds around 0.3 ohms or above, hate the look of the curve top cap, want something visually smaller, or just want to expand your accessory base for it then these are great option otherwise I’d grab a different tip and stick with the stock version.

Coil Building and Performance

Being I’ve owned this RDA for some time, I’ve heard reports of the phillips screws being of poor quality, I haven’t had any issues with mine although they were tight to undo to begin with. The screws heads are deeply recessed and using my own screwdriver with a slightly larger head than the one provided in the box, I can get good amount of torque on them without damaging the head so I’ll give them a pass (especially as you get 4 extras in the pack). I don’t like Phillips heads ordinarily but you can also use flat head screwdrivers with these, perhaps Wotofo had different batches or something with those other reports, regardless at the very least I think the screwdriver provided is too small for these screws and could lead to slipping so will list that particular part as a con.

Much like the Kylin the deck can hold a decent sized single coil but you are limited by the space in the wicking well so I use this RDA in two ways;

1) For the stock cap I use a 3mm inner diameter framed alien staple coil (Fralien) 5 wraps, 2x 28g Stainless Steel 316L frames, 6 x 0.1x0.4 Kanthal ribbon stacked and 38g Nichrome wrap. It ohms out about 0.2-0.23 and it’s my go to build for this deck. It just suits it so well especially on an unregulated mod with this RDA’s more restricted draw and doesn’t struggle to keep up with wicking.

595B555A-DC90-48E7-B8A1-4B4C2CCEEABE.jpeg

2) For the 22mm cap I use a 4mm ID and a 5 wrap spaced flat clapton, which consists of 25g flat SS316L wire and 38g SS316L wrap. It ohms out about 0.3-0.35 and I vape this build with the airflow much more restricted on an unregulated mod. The top cap stays cool throughout as the coil won’t excessively heat up. Closing the airflow up helps maintain the flavour well, just make sure to trim a bit more of the cotton away before plugging up the ends of the channel (always leave the middle area free from cotton).

7E46E2EA-9177-4B74-89BB-3D60BEA9426B.jpeg

As I said in my opening; I feel Mike sorted out some of the problems from the Kylin Mini, no longer are your coil legs bent during installation, you can split the legs apart in their natural position, wicking stays out of the way, it’s very easy to measure coil leg length thanks to the handy guide in the pack (snip in line with the end of the bend). In fairness to the Mini you do lose some of the bottom airflow, but I’m not noticing that translate to a drop in performance since there’s enough airflow hugging around the coil coming in from the sides.

Finally the most important thing; it’s so easy to wick and get cracking! For me (someone who loves single coils RDAs above all else) the Recurve was probably the most exciting release this year especially after my love hate relationship with the Kylin Mini, and being I’ve kept using it every day that still rings true. Do I think it’s the best flavoured RDA ever…no it is not, there are better flavour chasers out there, I’d pit this against the likes of the Advken Gorge in terms of its flavour output (which I place above the Wasp Nano), but it’s definitely up their as one of my favourite overall RDA’s I’ve tried, it just executes all the bits I enjoy about vaping single coil RDAs really well (smooth draw, slightly restricted hit, great flavour and cloud, moist vape, forgiving squonking) and the fact I keep wanting to use it is testament to that fact.

Pro’s
  • Great Flavour and cloud production
  • Drip tip tall enough not to get burny lips (chain vaping does make top cap get hot)
  • Decent machining throughout
  • Post screws were fine on mine (be aware for reports on this though seem batches might be hit and miss)
  • Works great as a Squonker
  • Addressed areas I disliked about the Kylin Mini
  • Single coil and goes well with single battery squonkers
  • Easy to build on
  • Easy to wick
  • Can go for an 22mm Conversion top cap option (aesthetic)
  • [personal] love the curve styling and deck layout
  • Stood up to daily wear and tear ok (I’m not really hard on my gear though)
Con’s

• Coil Material should be clearly stated on the box or manual
  • Drip tip O-Ring in the top cap isn’t tight enough
  • Base O-rings are hideously tight (makes getting the cap on and off hard and adjusting airflow)
  • Leaking under the base is a frequent occurrence (watch for non-sealed mods)
  • Not a fan of the branding on the stock cap (there is an all-black option though)
  • Prefer an Allen key positive squonk pin (better seal and bigger bore)
  • 22mm top cap should have been added as an option in the pack
  • [if you care] This is not an ideal dripper RDA
  • Screwdriver provided needs a larger head
  • Noticed quick staining on the clear O-Rings for the 22mm caps
  • Would like to have seen a 510 drip tip as the spare instead of the PMMA option
Recurve RDA Final Conclusion

This RDA just suits the way I vape on a single battery squonker really well, and for that reason it’s stayed in my rotation for so long, however I’m not ignorantly blind to the fact there are Quality Control improvements to be had here. Mike and Wotofo the feedback to be taken away from my review are easy quick wins. I really hope to see a V1.5 or v2 of this RDA one day, I really feel it deserves it, even just if you just tweak those few things I and others have picked up until now.

Overall though despite the niggles I’ve picked up on, as I have come to write this review months on after the hype train left the station, my impressions are still like the early days …I’m happy with my purchase and I still love using it despite its cons, and will continue to do so until I find a suitable alternative.

66037AE1-9F18-4519-8D4E-16CB45E47AD5.jpeg

Onto the Part 2 and Mikes Squonker…

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Part 2 - The Recurve Squonk Mod

Mod Manufacturers Specification Overview & What’s in the box

• Dimensions: D60.5mm x W27mm x H90mm
  • Body Material: zinc alloy + special rubber coating
  • Battery Type: single 18650, 20650, 20700, 21700 battery (not included)
  • Output Voltage: 3.2-4.2V
  • Max Output Power: 80W
  • Bottle Capacity: 8ml
  • Max Charging Current: 2A
  • Resistance Range: 0.08-3.0ohm
  • Extras include: 20650 adaptor, 18650 adaptor, Charge Cable, Manual
Product Information: https://www.wotofo.com/wotofo-recurve-squonk-mod.html

Available Colours: Black, White, Blue, Red, Gunmetal

50EE3547-2859-45D3-A992-4256B03E2A50.jpeg

Impressions, Build Quality & Assembly

First what type of mod is this?... let’s start there because there always seems to be confusion surrounding this sort of device. This is an unregulated mod with protections built in. Much like a mechanical mod you build accordingly to get the desired wattage you want as you cannot adjust, and much like a mechanical as you vape away you notice performance drops off as the voltage drops in the battery, however it should stop absent mindedness if you balls something up (unlike a mech), and that’s the beauty and big selling point for me on these sorts of devices. The Protections you get include;

• Continuous Firing cut off is 10 seconds “ish” (but I started to lose consciousness vaping for that long so think it was 10 seconds)
  • Low Voltage Cut-off (consistent cut’s out around 3.3V +/- 0.02 ohms)
  • Reverse Polarity (yep it works ok, and I’m still here writing this review),
  • Overheat Protection (75.C) (didn’t get to see this one work, even chain vaping the recurve RDA didn’t make it switch off but it well insulated with the rubber coating)
  • Short Circuit (don’t try this at home but I shorted the posts…kicks in pretty quickly but had minor scorch mark left on my RDA, importantly though it didn’t fry my board so it works ok)
  • Output voltage range with a supposed cap on wattage at 80W (see Mooch’s Vid it goes up higher than 80W and then some with the Samsung 30T cell)
  • Finally an allowable resistance range between 0.08 – 3ohms (again see Mooch’s Vid it will fire below 0.8ohms but I don’t recommend you ever vape that way)
The Recurve will take 25mm RDA’s without overhang, suiting the majority of the market right now.

99E368FE-0D77-4CAA-93AE-83535C58F822.jpeg

In terms of my other impressions, I’m sad to say the Squonker is going to get a bit of a hammering from me so buckle up.

Firstly there is no O-Ring on the top plate, whilst many squonkers don’t have this feature they weren’t purposely made to be paired with the Recurve RDA, and with it leaking under the base like they must have known, in my mind it’s a simple fix and one I would like to have seen included.

CA096587-615C-48AA-BBB5-D765E7479649.jpeg

The RDA was a bit tricky to screw on and off at first, it’s almost as though the starting thread is set a little low combined with the positive pin being stiff to begin with. It does break in but this is something that could have been addressed during assembly and testing. I haven’t had any issues with it performing; it’s picking up the RDA ok and the 510 area seems pretty well sealed against juice leaks.

Speaking of leaking there are two main areas I think could be problematic. First is the position of the USB, I really don’t care if it helps it make it look like the eye of a penguin or just allows them to solder directly to the main board, it’s not in a practical location sitting just beneath the RDA, in fact id just dump it altogether and save some cost and headache. I’ve had near misses on multiple occasions so far, it’s only a matter of time before juice gets in there.

1303313C-4D41-442E-8817-F7D302108E70.jpeg

Second is the fire button, it’s not sealed, This is something I picked up on in the Aspire Feedlink review as well, the thing is with the Feedlink the RDA doesn’t sit over the top of the circuit board like the Recurve Squonker does, I can actually see the circuit board behind the button without disassembling and when your RDA leaks; it will go over the button like mine has on numerous occasions.

8E4B16EA-6E30-44DD-B090-4EBC4AA62707.jpeg

Thankfully the mod isn’t too difficult to dissemble (just two bottom screws) if you need to clean it up properly.

B5583BD0-09D2-4781-8711-9484394D3608.jpeg

This gave me a chance to have a look inside and check on the handywork. The 510 is secured by a nut, soldering looks good, nice sized wires used. Just be careful if you take it apart like I have, there’s a small O-Ring that goes around the metal squonk tube …make sure you place this back on properly to seal the area from the bottle.

189EF08B-793E-4B7D-B0E1-70F171AF0AE5.jpeg
EAD6AE0E-1774-4159-B7A7-BB0FF36C21A3.jpeg
4EB8E155-96B6-43FE-806C-2D206B327B48.jpeg

You can see now what I meant about the circuit board position being problematic behind a non- sealed button though right?!, soldering looks clean everywhere on the board (back and front) except for one area where the machine got a bit carried away I think, this looks like the where the USB is connected.

F00EA2CB-2DE8-490F-951D-B57DF001DCB1.jpeg

Last edited:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Impressions, Build Quality & Assembly Continued

While I was in strip down I noticed for the most part how well the paint was applied underneath the hood. Sadly this doesn’t translate to all parts of my Squonker. The gouge you can see in the pic below was there out of the box, they couldn’t quite finish the juice area, or inside the doors. Now I know this isn’t a high end device, it’s aimed to get people into the market and on that basis I’m trying to be mindful of not going too apeshit about it all ….but come on turn the casing around when spraying perhaps? Regardless the paint is applied on the visible areas well and feels lovely in the hand, it insulates against heat well and doesn’t get slippery when juice gets over it, so I really do like this type of coating although perhaps question its durability (time will tell for that).

FEF94856-93F9-4469-9DAC-4A863C765D6A.jpeg 9FC04611-3991-478D-9B41-F8FD9E517B79.jpeg

Back re-assembled, The LED light bar is fine as it’s only used to give the user signals of things like turning on/off, protections and what not, but I can’t see it outside of a dark room, maybe set it somewhere else discreet if that’s what you’re going for here.

0E7D5EE6-BF1F-4786-A0FC-0492E3176508.jpeg 56E92EB6-9A8B-4FBC-9A74-9C8AA1EA133A.jpeg

Onto the squonk bottle: I’m not a fan of Delrin threaded anything that requires frequent unscrewing. On top of that whenever you fill it, it’s always a messy experience after you screw the cap back on. The only way I’ve found to avoid this is to keep my finger on top of the tube as I screw the cap down, squeeze the bottle slightly as you do this as well, about the midway screw down point some air will release which stops it pissing out everywhere after its on fully, then move the tube up and down to re-equalise pressure. It has a nice capacity though otherwise and love the soft plastic used; it’s just like the Feedlink bottle material. Out of the box I just sat mine with plain vodka in for the night to get rid of the plastic smell inside, then rinsed and air dried before use.

07DC4485-A957-4DA6-A3EC-EEDE0B6AE50C.jpeg

Coming onto the door that holds the squonk bottle in place. It stays put, but really the magnets aren’t strong enough, perhaps it would have been better to use three magnets (add one at the top), as it stands it doesn’t sit flush properly. While I’m on this area of the mod; ergonomically the Recurve is very comfortable to hold and fire, it has lovely lines that just sit in the palm with ease, however my pinky rests under the base of the Squonker, so I’d like to have seen the bottom edges of this squonk door rounded slightly as they dig in.

92D18722-4257-490B-9387-7045DA77202B.jpeg

Moving over to the battery door, this does snap in fine and holds well except for a little bit of sideward wobble which could have been eliminated..

Ok now onto the battery enclosure itself, The recurve mod accepts 21700,20700,20650,18650 cells it comes with adaptors for the 20650 and 18650 not that it mentions any of this in the manual but it’s easy enough to figure out.

58B705C1-BA58-4E17-9551-249DA957E96F.jpeg

Starting with 21700’s – These are simply way too tight to get in there, I feel this area would have been better if only the negative terminal was spring loaded as I had real trouble getting that cell in. You can do it but be prepared to damage your wrap getting it in (or out) for that reason I chose not to bother using this size.

77B1488D-7866-4A83-94DD-C5249AE4C945.jpeg

20700’s fit in a lot easier although the bottom area takes the hit this time, again my wraps eventually got damaged and it pissed me off so looked to let the adaptor take most of the punishment after this point.

6ACBD6B0-23F5-4D4D-BB7C-6058AE790B0F.jpeg

20650’s – I don’t have any cells of this size so I couldn’t test the adaptor properly but it seems rather flimsy compared with the 18650 adaptor.

18650’s – insert the battery into the black adaptor negative side first, push the positive end of the battery into position then click the adaptor in place at the negative end. Seems really sturdy and most importantly saves my wraps from damage so have continued to use it throughout.

And that about “wraps” it up…. oh except to say size comparison time….here it is against the Feedlink.

3C526898-9706-441B-8007-E40518867D07.jpeg

Performance & Charging

Despite the punishment it’s just received above, the mod performs well, it’s hits and ramps up in line with the Aspire Feedlink (both less than a decent mechanical though). Mooch carried out Bench testing in his minding your mAhs series. (Episode 12 I believe) – So I don’t really need to cover whether it can do the full wattage range as he’s already answered that “yes it can, and more”, and I must say because he does his tests visibly with his equipment and methods on show, I trust his findings….”All Hail Mooch” thank you for continuing to be a great ambassador for us all.

I tested out the on-board charging using 18650 (Sony VTC5a) and 20700 (IJoy 5 legged) cells – unfortunately I’m not satisfied with this aspect and unless it’s a one unit thing? I’d advise you stick with external charging only as its not cutting out close enough to 4.2V for my liking. It smashes through charge cycles quickly in roughly 2 hours from cut out, and stays relatively cool throughout the charge cycle, but I’m observing it topping out up to 4.31V which in my opinion is unacceptable compared to decent chargers out there.

Pro’s
  • Paint Feel’s great
  • The mod is very comfortable to hold and fire (if you don’t rest your pinkie underneath the mod)
  • Protections I tested all check out
  • Decent sized squonk bottle
  • Can accommodate RDA’s up to 25mm without overhang (majority out there)
  • Performs well
  • Top plate secured well
Cons’s
  • Paint not covering everywhere
  • Poor on board charge cut out (lose that USB already)
  • Poor positioning of the USB (with leaking in mind)
  • Fire button isn’t sealed (with leaking in mind)
  • Would like to have seen an O-Ring around 510 plate
  • Was tricky to screw down RDA’s to begin with, had to break in the positive pin for a bit
  • Door cover for squonk bottle not held in securely enough
  • Sideward wobbly on battery door
  • Battery compartment chews up my 21700, 20700 battery wraps
  • Bit of messy finishing on the circuit board
  • Messy to refill the squonk bottle
  • Delrin threaded cap on the squonk bottle and there’s no spare
Recurve Squonk Mod Final Conclusion

The Squonker isn’t horrible to use I want to state that, I’ve taken it on holiday and used it daily for nearly a month now and haven’t had issues with it working,

Overall as much as I love the lines and form and can’t complain about its performance, unlike its RDA counterpart I’m not a fan of the Recurve squonk mod overall, I’m not just being a picky bastard here, some of these things cover safety areas I cannot ignore and would like to see them put right in a round 2 before I get on board with it.

Thanks for taking the time to read my review, I hope the information serves you well…. until next time KingPin!

Last edited:

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Another really great review :vino:Always happy to read them.

I think I might like the mod, but the 2 squonkers I have are serving me well. I'll probably pass on the mod.
I might get the rda because knowing it's performance, I do like the simplistic look of the SS or Gunmetal with the beauty ring.

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
THIS is how reviews should be done! I've watched reviews by all the usual suspects on the recurve mod and none have come close to being as honest and detailed in their reviews. Come to think of it I don't recall any of them pointing out leaking with the rda either, I could be wrong though. Well done sir! :vino:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Another really great review :vino:Always happy to read them.

I think I might like the mod, but the 2 squonkers I have are serving me well. I'll probably pass on the mod.
I might get the rda because knowing it's performance, I do like the simplistic look of the SS or Gunmetal with the beauty ring.

Thank you mate :cheers: normally I can’t abide seepy bases but I just love using the RDA with a 510 tip ...as I said it’s not Ieft my rotation since early June so must doing something right for me at least...it’s got the job until it dies or I find something better haha

The gunmetal 22mm cap is damn fine looking ..the engraving is stylish and simple of the three it’s my favourite too

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
THIS is how reviews should be done! I've watched reviews by all the usual suspects on the recurve mod and none have come close to being as honest and detailed in their reviews. Come to think of it I don't recall any of them pointing out leaking with the rda either, I could be wrong though. Well done sir! :vino:

Thank you matey <curtesy> Id really like some day to see follow ups of both of these hoping Wotofo and Maybe Mike if he ever reads on here can put it to good use

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thanks for the detailed great review KingPin! :coffee:

Thanks Wotofo, it’s my pleasure hoping you can take some bits from this in particular that charging cut out :cheers:

Was thinking if you guys decide to keep the usb maybe include a plug cap of some sort in the spares packet ...that would at least guard against minor leakages?

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you matey <curtesy> Id really like some day to see follow ups of both of these hoping Wotofo and Maybe Mike if he ever reads on here can put it to good use
That would be nice. I think Mike and Wotofo did well on their collaboration and hope to see more from them in the future.

I forgot to say that my experiences with the rda have been eerily similar to yours. Noticed the leaky issue and like you I just leave the cap on but when I do take it off I wipe the underside of the cap so when I press it back on it doesn't piss onto the mod. I can't confirm but suspect juice finds its way out through the threads for the posts screws.

Also prefer to use a 510 drip tip. The 810 drip tips , while very nice, were a bit airy for my taste and think the 510 matches up better with the airflow holes on the deck and cap. Which, hot damn, that airflow is smooth!

Oh and you aren't kidding about this being designed for a squonker. I've been dripping on mine since I don't have a squonker and yeah, it takes patience. Not an rda for me to take "windy walks" with. :p But works just fine when sitting in house chilling to a movie and casually dripping.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I am a bit distracted by Jameson. :bingo:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Forgot to add:

Well done Wotofo! I really am enjoying the flavor from the recurve rda. I think it's a well built and designed rda. :cheers:

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
That would be nice. I think Mike and Wotofo did well on their collaboration and hope to see more from them in the future.

I forgot to say that my experiences with the rda have been eerily similar to yours. Noticed the leaky issue and like you I just leave the cap on but when I do take it off I wipe the underside of the cap so when I press it back on it doesn't piss onto the mod. I can't confirm but suspect juice finds its way out through the threads for the posts screws.

Also prefer to use a 510 drip tip. The 810 drip tips , while very nice, were a bit airy for my taste and think the 510 matches up better with the airflow holes on the deck and cap. Which, hot damn, that airflow is smooth!

Oh and you aren't kidding about this being designed for a squonker. I've been dripping on mine since I don't have a squonker and yeah, it takes patience. Not an rda for me to take "windy walks" with. :p But works just fine when sitting in house chilling to a movie and casually dripping.

That's all I can think of at the moment but I am a bit distracted by Jameson. :bingo:

Excellent feedback thanks mate :cheers:

I just plonked the clear cap back on apologies my coil is manky it’s well past cleaning up time ..but here is what it looks like fully squonked

B1D0C166-3318-4253-8539-5D8E4A894066.jpeg

Do you mean this area mate?

Juice seems to be retaining fine at the side there

Edit: notice I put a disc protector under the RDA there too top tip it helps keep the juice away from the edges of the 510 plate ;) cost pennies on fast tech

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Excellent feedback thanks mate :cheers:

I just plonked the clear cap back on apologies my coil is manky it’s well past cleaning up time ..but here is what it looks like fully squonked

View attachment 119200

Do you mean this area mate?

Juice seems to be retaining fine at the side there

Edit: notice I put a disc protector under the RDA there too top tip it helps keep the juice away from the edges of the 510 plate ;) cost pennies on fast tech
Yep, that's where I was suspecting but it looks like that's not where it's coming from. Thank you for confirming. Well poop, I'm not sure where the juice would be coming from. I'm gonna have to scratch me arse over this some more to stimulate more brain cell activity. Where Blues Clues when ya need him? :teehee:

I'll have to keep those discs in mind, thank you.

I should point out that while I have experienced leaks it's been very little and that the beauty ring that comes with the 22mm caps has not let juice get onto the mod. The leaks I've noticed have been on the top of the lip inside the ring but the mod and it's 510 threads have been dry. Ha ha, and I've over dripped plenty on this little rda so the ring has helped.

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Yep, that's where I was suspecting but it looks like that's not where it's coming from. Thank you for confirming. Well poop, I'm not sure where the juice would be coming from. I'm gonna have to scratch me arse over this some more to stimulate more brain cell activity. Where Blues Clues when ya need him? :teehee:

I'll have to keep those discs in mind, thank you.

I should point out that while I have experienced leaks it's been very little and that the beauty ring that comes with the 22mm caps has not let juice get onto the mod. The leaks I've noticed have been on the top of the lip inside the ring but the mod and it's 510 threads have been dry. Ha ha, and I've over dripped plenty on this little rda so the ring has helped.

I still think that area is susceptible been Vaping it since I took that pic ...as the juice heats up it thins or condensation falls down the sides and I can see it sitting above the top o-ring in places ...perhaps the way to go is split the o-rings with the screws in the middle of them then :cheers:

St.Roostifer

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I still think that area is susceptible been Vaping it since I took that pic ...as the juice heats up it thins or condensation falls down the sides and I can see it sitting above the top o-ring in places ...perhaps the way to go is split the o-rings with the screws in the middle of them then :cheers:
I think you nailed it matey! You found the problem and the solution to it. Well done! :cheers:

Last edited:

WotofoOfficial

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
VU Challenge Sponsor
Thanks Wotofo, it’s my pleasure hoping you can take some bits from this in particular that charging cut out :cheers:

Was thinking if you guys decide to keep the usb maybe include a plug cap of some sort in the spares packet ...that would at least guard against minor leakages?
Errr, it's a hard to change the equipments after release:(

kevinjp

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank mate. Love the mod...HATE the bottle. Still trying to find an alternative. I find the top of the bottle to small to hold onto

KingPin!

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
Thank mate. Love the mod...HATE the bottle. Still trying to find an alternative. I find the top of the bottle to small to hold onto

My pleasure thanks for reading mate

the bottle is tricky to use for sure, I’d have preferred it if they used some sort of spring loaded mechanism for refilling to avoid it spilling out everywhere due to pressure

VU Sponsors