Become a Patron!

Womper Woom Wejects

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Being processed through Photoshop now, but I'll send them to Lannie and she can post the ones she likes.

Yeah, I might have gotten my subject off-center by a millimeter or so. :rolleyes: Jus' kiddin' witchya, Rich, I know you work hard to make them look good. (He does center, and sometimes crop and adjust the color on them so they look better than my "raw" prints.)

OK, here's the little Princess herself, Miss Buffy Morgaine. I couldn't get any REALLY good ones because once she got her face unstuck from her mom's udder, she wanted to stick it in MY face. I could have gotten a lot of shots of the insides of her nostrils... :teehee:

06-07-17 Morgaine 02.jpg

06-07-17 Morgaine 03.jpg

Her halter's off her nose because it's a horse halter, and it's too long for her short cow face, so it just hangs around her neck like a wonky collar. We just use it as a grab-handle, mostly, except at milking time when I put the nose piece back up so Rich has some leverage to pull her off (so I can finish getting the last of the cream).

After the milk bar ran dry... ;)

06-07-17 Morgaine 05.jpg

06-07-17 Morgaine 06.jpg

Here's a couple of Cricket, my One-Horned Wonder, for good measure:

06-07-17 Cricket 02.jpg

(Oh, wait, there might be ONE MORE DROP in there!) :facepalm:

06-07-17 Cricket 03.jpg

And finally, Miss Helen, who's dry and not pregnant, so she spends her time out in the pasture, mostly. She's the big one - 1,700+ pounds. She outweighs quite a few largish bulls. This is zoomed quite a bit - she was out at the far end of the pasture...

06-07-17 Helen 02.jpg

I have more. ;) I'll put 'em in a separate post.

Lannie

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Here are a few kitty pics. This is one of the house cats, Xena, Warrior Princess (geez, we have a lot of princesses around here, don't we?). She absolutely LOVES to come out to the cow barn with us in the mornings and be Barn Kitty. Mostly she just likes to sit on her daddy's lap and be petted. ;) Her mom was dropped off here a few years ago (we're a farm, why WOULDN'T people just drop off their unwanted animals, right?) and she ended up pregnant before we relented and took her in the house. She only had two kittens and one of them had complications at birth and didn't make it. Xena grew up just fine, though, and fearless. She really IS a warrior, that's not just a name. :)

06-07-17 Xena 01.jpg

And when Daddy's busy, she finds another safe spot to lounge.

06-07-17 Xena 02.jpg

(That's the box Rich built to house the pump for my milking machine. It's all wired up nice - the left-hand switch turns the light on and off, and the other one turns the pump on. We leave the light on in the winter so condensation doesn't build up and freeze and hose the pump.)

And this next one is one of the wild kitties that live in the garage. Rich named her Callie (hey, it fits, right?), and we just recently discovered she had a litter of kittens. Well, of COURSE she did. :facepalm: Can't get near any of 'em, and can't get near the kittens, either. Trust me, they're ADORABLE, but very, very fast. They disappear into the pile of boxes every time they see us coming.

06-07-17 Callie 03.jpg

06-07-17 Callie 02.jpg

Her babies look like they might have long hair, and one of them is a calico that looks just like her. Just what we need, another girl! I'd love to be able to catch all of them and get them neutered and spayed, but that isn't looking very hopeful. Soon you can just call us the Crazy Cat People. :wait:

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Can't get near any of 'em, and can't get near the kittens, either.
Well, Kat Man Do... :D I am able to get within a few feet of all the adults and three of them now let me pet them when I fill their dish every evening. I even managed to get within a foot of one of the kittens last night, but didn't have a camera with me. They are so cute. I wanna snuggle 'em.
Soon you can just call us the Crazy Cat People.
Whatdaya mean, "Soon"? I already be crazy cat man and you be da cow gurl.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Yeah, I might have gotten my subject off-center by a millimeter or so. :rolleyes: Jus' kiddin' witchya, Rich, I know you work hard to make them look good. (He does center, and sometimes crop and adjust the color on them so they look better than my "raw" prints.)

OK, here's the little Princess herself, Miss Buffy Morgaine. I couldn't get any REALLY good ones because once she got her face unstuck from her mom's udder, she wanted to stick it in MY face. I could have gotten a lot of shots of the insides of her nostrils... :teehee:

View attachment 83826

View attachment 83827

Her halter's off her nose because it's a horse halter, and it's too long for her short cow face, so it just hangs around her neck like a wonky collar. We just use it as a grab-handle, mostly, except at milking time when I put the nose piece back up so Rich has some leverage to pull her off (so I can finish getting the last of the cream).

After the milk bar ran dry... ;)

View attachment 83828

View attachment 83829

Here's a couple of Cricket, my One-Horned Wonder, for good measure:

View attachment 83830

(Oh, wait, there might be ONE MORE DROP in there!) :facepalm:

View attachment 83831

And finally, Miss Helen, who's dry and not pregnant, so she spends her time out in the pasture, mostly. She's the big one - 1,700+ pounds. She outweighs quite a few largish bulls. This is zoomed quite a bit - she was out at the far end of the pasture...

View attachment 83832

I have more. ;) I'll put 'em in a separate post.
Wow! These are fantastic

TrollDragon

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
The Trinity glass tank on the Aromamizer V2... :D

HB6g4gUl.jpg

zZ9tHsfl.jpg

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Hey all!

Sorry Ive been MIA lately, the real world has become very busy as of late. Working 3 jobs, spending time with my little girl who has moved in to my place full time for the month while her mom is waiting to take possession of her new home. Long story, but basically my daughter is at my place full time and her mom is using my place as a "home base" type thing while Im at work, so she comes over while Im working and does the parenting thing here. Super awkward and weird but I think its the best arrangement for my daughter. Aside from all that, we have been enjoying some warmer weather around here so even when Im not working, Im out and about trying to make the most of the sunshine while its here!

Hope everyone is doing well!

Debadoo

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
all the Forums have slowed down. It is that time of year.
jup! When the weather starts getting nicer, people get out in it

Sorry Ive been MIA lately,
that's ok, but don't make me have to go chase yur butt down and drag ya back again! hehehe j/k. I am glad you have your daughter with you more!!

Last edited:

Darth Omerta

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Absolutely true...and remember, where I live there is snow on the ground for at least 7 months of the year, when the sun is shining and the ground is dried and thawed I make sure I take advantage of it!!!!!

that's ok, but don't make me have to go chase yur butt down and drag ya back again! hehehe j/k. I am glad you have your daughter with you more!!

I know I gotta pop in more frequently. Part weather, mostly work but its no excuse....I'll just sit in the corner for a minute and think about what I did! :sadpanda:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
And there's also a lot more work to do. Mowing, taking care of a bird's nest on my porch, running from tarantula hawks and wasps. etc. etc. etc. I have a coworker trying to convince me to move to an apt close to work where I won't have to lift or wipe myself out all the time. My place is paid off though. So, it's a catch 22.
Good to see you Darth!

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
a lot more work to do. Mowing,
Speaking of mowing, a few weeks back we had the lawn-mower discussion here (add @The Cromwell to this note). Well, it was not the spark plug. After a thorough cleaning of the carb and fuel filter, that wasn't the problem either. I stood scratching my head and decided the mechanic at the store where I bought this piece of shit ($999.99 plus tax for a TroyBilt* and it lasted only 6 1/2 months, though by the time I took it in for repair, it was a week past one year - I was convinced last fall that all I needed was a plug so it was late spring when I realized I was wrong - and now they refuse to honor the warranty). Anyway, the mechanic thought it might be a bad head gasket. Two weeks later, he tells me that did not fix it and in all probability, it needs new rings. But they can't do that at his store, so they sent my mower to Minnesota (closest "factory repair" site). In the mean time, I have resorted to an alternative form of mowing the lawns. These mowers do not do a good job of uniform height mowing (e.g., you cannot set them for a 3" cut) -- they actually scalp the lawn in some places and leave it 6-8" high in other spots. But at least they are keeping it from being several feet high. The big problem is that they tend to leave massive quantities of solid exhaust everywhere...

100_0512.jpg

*Note: TroyBilt, the great American lawn and garden equipment, is now owned by MTD and, just like Craftsman, are now made in China, which produces nothing but crap.

Last edited:

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Speaking of mowing, a few weeks back we had the lawn-mower discussion here (add @The Cromwell to this note). Well, it was not the spark plug. After a thorough cleaning of the carb and fuel filter, that wasn't the problem either. I stood scratching my head and decided the mechanic at the store where I bought this piece of shit ($999.99 plus tax for a TroyBilt* and it lasted only 6 1/2 months, though by the time I took it in for repair, it was a week past one year - I was convinced last fall that all I needed was a plug so it was late spring when I realized I was wrong - and now they refuse to honor the warranty). Anyway, the mechanic thought it might be a bad head gasket. Two weeks later, he tells me that did not fix it and in all probability, it needs new rings. But they can't do that at his store, so they sent my mower to Minnesota (closest "factory repair" site). In the mean time, I have resorted to an alternative form of mowing the lawns. These mowers do not do a good job of uniform height mowing (e.g., you cannot set them for a 3" cut) -- they actually scalp the lawn in some places and leave in 6-8" high in other spots. But at least they are keeping it from being several feet high. The big problem is that they tend to leave massive quantities of solid exhaust everywhere...

*Note: TroyBilt, the great American lawn and garden equipment, is now owned by MTD and, just like Craftsman, are now made in China, which produces nothing but crap.
Thanks for the pic. that's ashamed about Troybilt. :( Sorry for your mower woes.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Craftsman is AYP AKA Electrolux and troybuilt is MTD. At least unless crapsman changed vendors? Craftsman has never made anything was always just a brand stamped on.
I don't know who is actually the Crapsman manufacturer today, but I do know that they are made in China and I recently went through two of them in two years (major POS!). The TroyBilt engine "looks" like a B&S, but it is labeled as made by TroyBilt (who knows?).

Speaking of brands just stamped on, way back when (Uh, 1973?), I worked for one month at a factory that made water heaters (ya know, the thing in yer house's closet) and we made them for 40 different companies. The only difference was what color we painted them and the labels we stuck on. That means whether it was Montgomery Ward, Sears, Western Auto (pick a brand), they were the same friggin' water heater. You'd pay $100 for one brand and $295 for another and they were all the same. What you bought was a name and a longer warranty.

Atchafalaya

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I don't know who is actually the Crapsman manufacturer today, but I do know that they are made in China and I recently went through two of them in two years (major POS!). The TroyBilt engine "looks" like a B&S, but it is labeled as made by TroyBilt (who knows?).

Speaking of brands just stamped on, way back when (Uh, 1973?), I worked for one month at a factory that made water heaters (ya know, the thing in yer house's closet) and we made them for 40 different companies. The only difference was what color we painted them and the labels we stuck on. That means whether it was Montgomery Ward, Sears, Western Auto (pick a brand), they were the same friggin' water heater. You'd pay $100 for one brand and $295 for another and they were all the same. What you bought was a name and a longer warranty.
Wow. What a ripoff!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Were any of them pink?
Yep only maybe 3 WH manufacturers in the USA I think.
And yes the 10 yr warranty Whirlpool water heater is exactly the same tank and insulation as the 3 yr one. I think it is 3 yrs on the cheaper one maybe 5or six though.
I have tried to forget my plumbing stuff from Lowe's.

wish I was close enough to fix your mower for ya.

I have a real Troybuilt tiller.
a 71 model, built like and tank and still going strong.
The new troy built tillers since MTD are junk compared to the old ones.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I have a real Troybuilt tiller.
a 71 model, built like and tank and still going strong.
The new troy built tillers since MTD are junk compared to the old ones.
Yeah, me too. My TroyBilt garden tiller never falters, starts every Spring without a hitch, grinds through the toughest stuff, and requires almost no maintenance. And it is 13 years old, made in the USA. I wish I could say that I am never buying anymore Chinese Junk, but the reality is that there is nothing that is 100% Made in America (well, maybe a Henry rifle). Harley Davidson claims to be American made, but many of the parts and assemblies are made in other countries. Ford? Mexico. Chevrolet? Canada. You know, my real bottom line is not where it was made, but the attitude of those who made it. The Chinese don't give a rat's ass. Once upon a time, craftsmanship was extremely important in this country. Today, everything is made to die the day after the warranty expires - or before, with the belief you won't have the brass to use the warranty process.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, me too. My TroyBilt garden tiller never falters, starts every Spring without a hitch, grinds through the toughest stuff, and requires almost no maintenance. And it is 13 years old, made in the USA. I wish I could say that I am never buying anymore Chinese Junk, but the reality is that there is nothing that is 100% Made in America (well, maybe a Henry rifle). Harley Davidson claims to be American made, but many of the parts and assemblies are made in other countries. Ford? Mexico. Chevrolet? Canada. You know, my real bottom line is not where it was made, but the attitude of those who made it. The Chinese don't give a rat's ass. Once upon a time, craftsmanship was extremely important in this country. Today, everything is made to die the day after the warranty expires - or before, with the belief you won't have the brass to use the warranty process.
And every year less emphasis on service in the USA as well.
And more US company's selling out to foreign interests. Chrysler Jeep and even Budweiser for Voot's sake!

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There really are days when I wish I was still living back in 1960...
Ahh the good ol days...
In some ways....

btw tell you mechanic to check the pushrods before he goes all medieval and pulls the whole thing apart.
could also be a stuck valve.

btw those old Troy Built commercials of walking beside the tiller guiding with one hand were bullshit.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
btw tell you mechanic to check the pushrods before he goes all medieval and pulls the whole thing apart. could also be a stuck valve.
Unfortunately, I can't tell the mechanic anything... I don't know who has it or where it is - somewhere in Minnesota is all I know. They'll call me when it gets back here all fixed. :confused:
those old Troy Built commercials of walking beside the tiller guiding with one hand were bullshit.
I have the model with the rear tines and if I am tilling something that had been tilled the year before, I can indeed walk beside it, guiding with one hand. I do understand you cannot do this with the front-tine models and even mine won't allow that if it is hard never-before-tilled dirt.

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I am sure I have a picture of mine somewhere in the archives, but it isn't handy at the moment. I would guess (without actual measurements available) that mine is about half the size of yours, the handlebars are slightly more vertical and narrower, the wheels a tad smaller, with four blade-sets in back. The wheels drive forward, as do the tines. Our soil is sandy loam with a very low clay component, but any first-pass tilling is rather like trying to cut sandstone. Once through the first pass, however, all future passes, even a year later, are relatively easy. Immediately after tilling, the soil has the same color as in your photograph, but next day (if it is sunny), the color turns dark tan - a little lighter than the untilled dirt in your photo next to your tiller. Even though I have a "smaller" tiller, our garden area is about 50x75 feet and I till it into two large beds with an 8-foot grassy walkway down the center. I have also installed several cinder-block raised beds on one side that have to be tilled with a shovel. All our tomatoes and peppers are planted in the shade of the lilac hedge in old livestock mineral buckets (about 2-foot diameter) that makes it easier to weed but they have to be refilled with compost (by shovel) every year because the chickens get in there after harvest and dig them out (nesting).

Draconigena

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Oh yeah, I always have the depth set about 2-3 inches and make several passes. By the time I hit third pass, even with a depth setting so shallow, the tines are in the ground at maximum depth because the soil churns so soft the tiller depth bar sinks in. Depth on mine is set by a thin bar between the second and third tine set, so once you have tilled one pass, the next pass, if still set at 2 inches, will actually be 4 inches because the bar sinks through the previously tilled soil. I figure having to walk around behind or beside it several times is a whole lot easier than fighting with it for one massive deep till.

Also, because of all the animals we have here, I make an aged compost of cow shit, horse shit, a small measure of chicken shit (very hot stuff), old hay, some pine shavings, grass, etc., aged a couple years, and this is all tilled into the dirt. I suspect that is what makes it stay soft.

Rixsta

People's Reviewer
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Back home (again)

I had a relapse and then Emmy came down with it the same day, both ended up in Hospital, Emmy is still in there but is better, she should be home tomorrow bless her.

Thank god that is almost over, I'm staying put for the rest of the year ha..

VU Sponsors