Wire selection

Discussion in 'New Builders Corner' started by AvaOrchid, Oct 23, 2019.

1. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid New Member

Blog Posts:
    I guess I'll preface this by saying that I am on a budget. Stocking up based on changes that have been happening in other states and nationally has wiped me out financially I don't mean to say that I'm spending my bill money or anything like that just my non essential spending and vape budget. So I just recently started building coils and I started with some stainless steel and some Kanthal wire just very basic round wire. It works but I'm not thrilled and I can't afford to buy a spool of every wire on the market just to find the one that I like. I've seen on Amazon that they have like little pre-wrapped coil setups like a selection but I don't know how much that's going to work for me as I'm not a super low ohm girl and wrapping it myself helps for that and while I could probably tack on an extra wrap or two it's still $10 $15 plus shipping to find the one coil I might like... does anyone know of anywhere/ anyone that will send you a sample selection of wire for the cost of shipping/ cheap or even a single coil of prewrapped basic stuff so that you can try it out and find out what you like before you buy? Maybe even someone that sells like scrap vape wire. Thanks in advance
    I'm in the USA, Florida to be exact

Just Frank likes this.
  2. MyMagicMist

MyMagicMist Platinum Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee

Blog Posts:
    Hook up with TEMCo. You can buy the lesser length spools of wire, or even some mid range bulk lengths from them for some reasonable prices. They offer Free Shipping on most products too.

Don't be afraid to buy a little bulk regarding wire, cotton/rayon/wicking material. It is a good investment for the long haul.

Resistance Wire -~- Look here for Kanthal A1, NiChrome 80, Stainless Steel (too)
    Non-Resistance Wire -~- Look here for Stainless Steel, Titanium, Nickel

You might also look through some youtube videos on how to create Clapton wire, and other assorted wires. Often, find I'm happy using simple parallel builds, or twisted. I though prefer 0.30 to 0.50 ohms for builds. Have used 1.20 ohm builds though and done fine. :)

No, I am not an agent, affiliate of TEMCo. I am simply a happy customer of theirs glad to pass along good word of them to others. :) Their service and delivery speeds cannot be beaten. They sent me an order once that beat PayPal's nearly instantaneous payment processing. They read my mind actually, got me wired in. :)

newyork13 and AvaOrchid like this.
  3. AvaOrchid

AvaOrchid New Member

Blog Posts:
    That is an awesome suggestion that's actually the two kinds of round wire I currently have and I do find it to be quality the free shipping was awesome their prices were good and you can get it on an affiliate like thru Amazon which I had a gift card for LOL. I prolly will try eventually to figure out how to make something like Clapton wire but I think it would be helpful to know if that's what I like or to have used a few Clapton coils that I didn't wrap myself first for comparison to make certain that if I don't like it it's not because I messed up :) you're absolutely correct about that company being awesome though and I highly recommend them I think it took three days to get my product and I think they're located in California while I'm in Florida!

4. Just Frank

Just Frank Gold Contributor Member For 2 Years

Blog Posts:
    This guy makes amazing coils. I'm not sure how busy he's been but maybe he can help you out.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/free-coils-for-postage-or-donation.462682/

MyMagicMist likes this.
  5. MyMagicMist

Blog Posts:
    Haha! don't let them fool you. I know from some of the shipping labels they have a distro center in TX, and I believe one in MA. I live in WV, rarely does a shipment take two days via post. It is most often a case of order, sent out that day, arrives next.

Now, comprehending better what you're "after" I might suggest Fast Tech's selection of coil packs. Some might decry using Chinese "crap wire". I've not had any real issues out of what I've got via Fast Tech though. You'll want to look up the MKVS brand of coil packs. Pirate Coils brand from them also seems to do well. Shipping via Fast Tech isn't too costly to downright expensive depending on how you choose going.

Here's a link to a search.

These are some of the more affording options without getting dirty ass cheap that I wouldn't suggest for enemies. Yes, they are affordable but they still seem to be made with some quality control in place and seem clean to use.

AvaOrchid likes this.
  6. gbalkam

gbalkam Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    Try fasttech, i've tried their wire and it all seems good so far. You can even buy spools of fused clapton or alien wire. To build your own, 28ga kanthal and 26 ga kanthal are your go to core wires. 32-34ga stainless steel to wrap. Oh, some will tell you higher ga.. but the higher the ga, they harder it is to wrap.
    You can also invest in a Daedalus Coil Jig kit. (buy the one WITH the 'drill' to save on headache meds... ) I use mine all the time for making 3+ core coils.

AvaOrchid likes this.
  7. MyMagicMist

Blog Posts:
    Not really surprising, I broke my kit. Turned out alright though. Got a battery ran drill. I don't do up a lot of the multi-core wires.

8. gbalkam

gbalkam Gold Contributor Member For 3 Years ECF Refugee Reddit Exile

Blog Posts:
    yeah, that works too, I find it ok for single and double core, but 3+ is a hassle with a drill. I generally use 3x28ga kanthal in 34ga SS wrap.

MyMagicMist likes this.