Become a Patron!

Wire question

Infinite_Vapr

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Pretty new to vaping and Im just starting to get in to building. My newb question is this. Other than the fact that you can do TC with SS, is there any real differences between SS, Kanthal, and Nichrome wire?

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Mainly just resitance. .... you can build bigger coil with it..... more surface area and mass give more clouds and flavor.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
For regulated mods there is no difference really. Some perceive a different taste but it's all the same to me.

For those of use using tubes and parallel mechs Kanthal doesn't have a low enough resistance so we use n80 and SS to get more power.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I have used Kanthal and now only 316L, besides what everyone else has said IMO the 316L has a "cleaner taste".

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You can build bigger coils with which of the 3?
You can build equally large coils with all of them. On a regulated mod there won't be any difference in performance.
It's only on mechs where the resistance matters. I don't build large ID coils with n80 or 316l because it would raise the resistance and I'm trying to keep it as low as possible. Usually 4 wraps with 3mm ID no matter what I build. If it's a really small build I'll use 2.5mm with 5 wraps so I get a wider coil without changing resistance much.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For regulated mods there is no difference really. Some perceive a different taste but it's all the same to me.

For those of use using tubes and parallel mechs Kanthal doesn't have a low enough resistance so we use n80 and SS to get more power.

Big time wrong...... first there's the coil sizes.... you can make a .5ohm coil from 26 awg of all 3 wires.......... but they will not be the same size and will not be vaped at same wattage.......

If you built the coils to all run at same watts they might be close in size but very different ohm wise..... does you regulated mod have output ability to run al 3 builds maybe maybe not.... could be on build is too high or too low.

Resistance still matters to regulated mod... it's just that where a mech has to consider thevihm.. a digital box user only has to consider the inches part or the resistance equation.
Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
Ou

Last edited:

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So you're telling me that 3 builds with the exact same wraps and ID made from 3 different alloys will all act differently on regulated mods?
I already know they don't.
100w is 100w no matter the load on a regulated mod. Always has been always will be.
No one using regulated mods switches from kanthal to stainless and starts trying to hit the same ohm load.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Little known fact:
Before I started building almost a year ago I was using rebuildables and had been since I started vaping.
Never one time did I build any simple coils with any alloy that couldn't be fired with a regulated mod.
Yeah if you use 20g SS with 4 wraps or 32g A1 with 15 wraps you might find the voltage/amperage limit but no one does stupid stuff like that so why say it makes a difference?

Every time a new guy is trying to understand simple coils, some other guy comes in and complicates things for no reason.
If you're a normal person building normal coils there is no difference between alloys.
If you're using TC get nifethal or SS. If not use n80 or A1. Simple.

VU Sponsors