Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I am sure just about all of us with windows 7 & up have noticed the little windows symbol at the bottom right of our screens.

Then you click on it to sign up (by email) for your FREE copy of windows 10.

Sounds great what's not to like?

I have windows 8.1 on this laptop and windows 7 on my PC and other laptop.

I was thinking we could maybe discuss the pros and cons of switching to windows 10.

It is supposed to be released on July 29th

Article about windows 10 in PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2931...ean-installs-on-the-same-device-for-free.html

The official Windows 10 page and fine print:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/features

*Windows Offer Details

Yes, free! This upgrade offer is for a full version of Windows 10, not a trial. 3GB download required; standard data rates apply. To take advantage of this free offer, you must upgrade to Windows 10 within one year of availability. Once you upgrade, you have Windows 10 for free on that device.

Our lawyers made us say this:

Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own. Some hardware/software requirements apply and feature availability may vary by device and market. The availability of Windows 10 upgrade for Windows Phone 8.1 devices may vary by OEM, mobile operator or carrier. Devices must be connected to the internet and have Windows Update enabled. Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 Update required. Some editions are excluded: Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8/8.1 Enterprise, and Windows RT/RT 8.1. Active Software Assurance customers in volume licensing have the benefit to upgrade to Windows 10 enterprise offerings outside of this offer. To check for compatibility and other important installation information, visit your device manufacturer’s website and the Windows 10 Specifications page.

1 Apps sold separately; availability may vary.

2 Cortana available in select global markets at launch; experience may vary by region and device.

3 Features only available in supported games in Xbox Live-supported countries, see xbox.com/live/countries. Limited number of games available in 2015 support cross-device play; additional games to follow. Stream to one device at a time; Streaming with multiplayer from Xbox One requires home network connection and Xbox Live Gold membership (sold separately); Gold also required for multiplayer play on Xbox One. DirectX 12 only available with supported games and graphics chips.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm an official Windows "hater" of anything released after Windows 7. Had fits with first release of 8, it actually crashed my laptop....and 8.1 has ceased to function on my Windows tablet, seems a new update has rendered my external memory card useless. If Windows 10 is anything like its previous two predecessors, I'll pass and stick with 7 until support runs dry.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm running 7 Home Premium, but I signed up for 10. I've heard they're bringing back some of the GUI features that were in XP and 7 with it. I think I'm not alone in disliking the GUI in 8/8.1

VaporJoe

_ the end has arrived _
Staff member
VU Owner
VU Senior Leadership
VU Senior Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
ECF Refugee
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
Yep I already got the reservation Icon on my desktop

JColt

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I was an alpha tester since win 95 until Win 8 which I was an early beta tester. I had no intentions of beta testing 10 but a week ago I downloaded latest build. Took forever for desktop to com up and was horribly slow. Rebooted and got black screen with white curser. Checked out the forums and was told it has issues with ati cards. Really? Uninstalled. I thought being close to last build that problems would be minor. I used to relish being a tester. Now not so much, lol.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Didn't notice the icon on there. Thanks (I think - depends on if I hate it or not ;))

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I'm thinking the same. I really have no problems with Windows 7. I don't like the idea of automatic updates. I really want control on those updates if possible.
Supposedly the Win 10 upgrade will ask to install once ready.

Mykline

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I already have the icon on both my laptop and desktop computers. I will install it on one of them first and if I like it I will then do the other.

No Ash More Cash

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I'm going to wait a month or so before I upgrade...Right now I have 8.1 64 bit with a app that makes it look like 7 or Xp...Gives me a start button with menus

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
I'll just wait until the full release, don't need to preview with all the bugs.
So far, even full releases of Windows were bug infested and full of security issues. BTW, they should have named it Restart instead of Windows.
As a computer scientist, I prefer Linux. In addition, you can have it for free.

MC5

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
XP Pro doesn't qualify for the free upgrade, and I think it is a blessing. I'll likely upgrade one of our Win 7 laptops just to see the new release, then reload Win 7 - it could use a fresh install anyway.

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
With 10 supposedly the last edition of Windows, and them offering it free, I'd expect support for 7 & 8 to end sooner rather than later. I'd still be running XP if they hadn't given up on it.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I already have the icon on both my laptop and desktop computers. I will install it on one of them first and if I like it I will then do the other.

That was my plan too.

Tornadoalleydeb

Vaping whilst slaying dragons in the land of Tyria
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I am gonna fire up one of my play computers tomorrow and load it up on there to have a look at it.

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not seeing the icon, but not liking the 8.1 my new-ish computer came loaded with at all...10 couldn't be any worse, right? Then again I'd go back to XP if I could - I ran DOS for a few years after 95 was out, and my 5-year-old phone still has a full QWERTY physical keyboard...

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
If I wasn't a gamer I would have Linux on my main. WINE doesn't cut it for the games I play, so that's not an option. Sort of sucks.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I'm not seeing the icon, but not liking the 8.1 my new-ish computer came loaded with at all...10 couldn't be any worse, right? Then again I'd go back to XP if I could - I ran DOS for a few years after 95 was out, and my 5-year-old phone still has a full QWERTY physical keyboard...

10 is supposed to fix all the computers who got screwed when they came with 8.1.
My newest laptop has 8.1 and that is the one I will be upgrading to see if I like it.

Those who have 7.

You better believe that as soon as 7 support ends windows 10 will no longer be free.
Microsoft will get you for $150 bucks.

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Well I installed it on my play rig and I am currently playing around with it. I have not been able to get my graphic drivers to work yet. I put my old GTX 550 Ti in it and so far I can't go any higher than 1280x1024. Need to mess with it more. Gotta have my 1980x1200 for my gaming :) Time to go see if I can see why. It does seem quite responsive and I do need to learn where everything is still. New OS always takes a bit of time. So far I believe (for me at least) this will be a huge improvement over 8. Of course 8 is such a damn train wreck that almost anything has to be better LOL

Off to figure out my driver issue. Could be Nvidia does not have the compatible drivers yet.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Good luck. IMO, Windows is terrible for releasing new OSs way before they're ready, using us and our machines as guinea pigs. I waited with bated breath for 8 to be released. Installed it on my 8-week-old- laptop and it crashed out less than a week later while installing an update for my printer. The OS wasn't compatible with many programs/devices I had installed on 7 that it should have been. I'm waiting for a few more bugs and glitches to be muddled through before I even think about it.
If 10 sucks as badly as 8 and 8.1, I'm suggesting the next OS be dubbed "Windows Swansong..."

Tornadoalleydeb

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Got it solved, currently there is no support for graphic cards lower than the 600 series. Put one of my 650's in it and all is good now. Hopefully this will not be the case for final release or there are gonna be a lot of pissed off gamers :) Just because I have a slew of graphic cards does not mean everyone does. I do realize that the 500 series is quite outdated now but there are those that still use them.

The real test for me will be installing Guild Wars 2 and seeing how it runs

VU Sponsors