Become a Patron!

Wicking question

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suppose wicking falls within the coil category.

I'm using an Avocado 24, clapton coil and good cotton. After 2 days, one side of the wick is darker than the other side. I've seen lots of pictures, and my own wicks, in which both sides are evenly discolored. So, why is one side darker than the other?

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee

I'm using an Avocado 24, clapton coil and good cotton. After 2 days, one side of the wick is darker than the other side. I've seen lots of pictures, and my own wicks, in which both sides are evenly discolored. So, why is one side darker than the other?
You might have a hot spot on the darker side. You can check by doing a dry burn.

PhantomOp

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Triple check for hot spots. One tip that I got from some other builders was to turn out the lights in the room (dark room) and with low wattage hit the coils and you will see the hot spots easier and quicker without jolting them to much (primarily used for coloring of the coils, but should work for finding the hot spots also)

VU Sponsors