Become a Patron!

Why safer vaping devices that don't explode will not be available in the U.S.

5150sick

Under Ground Hustler
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Mod Team Leader
I'm kind of glad the FDA is stalling because the UL standard is a fucking disaster for most vapers:

UL TRIES TO ELIMINATE THE MAJOR RISK FACTORS
The new voluntary safety standard for vaping products, known as UL 8139, covers the entire electrical system: battery, charger and built-in battery management systems.

A device with a removable battery cannot meet the UL 8139 standard. This eliminates the exploding battery in the pocket scenario. The device must also be designed in a way that makes it difficult for the user to change the heating coil or other major component.

UL requires an onboard battery management system, typically a chip, that regulates the power and automatically turns off the device if the battery starts to overheat. Manufacturers whose products pass the UL test must agree to quarterly factory inspections and annual follow-up testing to make sure they stay in compliance.

Michael Sakamoto, UL’s senior business development manager, said smokers who see the UL-listed logo on a vaping device can be assured “the risks are minimized and that they’re going to have a safer product in their hands.”

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think that Mooch is knowledgeable about this UL standard for vaping power sources.
He has hinted about it and hints that it would not be eagerly received were also given.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the UL should hire woodchucks that understand batteries better than they do...... So I must destroy all my August 2016 mods ?

Oh .... I don't have any they last mostly 3 months.......

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still daily using a Kanger Kbox Mini mod that I got over 3 years ago.
Been using a Pico Squeeze for around 1 year and still fine.

Have enough replaceable cell mods to keep me going the rest of my life.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still daily using a Kanger Kbox Mini mod that I got over 3 years ago.
Been using a Pico Squeeze for around 1 year and still fine.

Have enough replaceable cell mods to keep me going the rest of my life.
I don't have as many as you..... But I'm in the process of packing for a migration and I packed 73 so far in the original boxes..... And a closet full of unopened mods...... So bring the vapepocalypse on.......

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh you have more than I do.
Mine just seem to last longer?
That and I am old :D

Approx 20 regulated mods.
and about the same or a bit more mechs/unreg mods.

Need to get a few more batteries. My 3 yr old HG2's are getting a bit short on run time per charge.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ohh you have more than I do.
Mine just seem to last longer?
That and I am old :D

Approx 20 regulated mods.
and about the same or a bit more mechs/unreg mods.

Need to get a few more batteries. My 3 yr old HG2's are getting a bit short on run time per charge.
Yeah I keep (10) just in the toilet.....

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
I think the UL should hire woodchucks that understand batteries better than they do...... So I must destroy all my August 2016 mods ?
That's not how UL approval works. There's no law that requires UL approval on any product being sold, much less one that requires you to destroy or stop using a product before an applicable UL category existed for that product. UL approval is strictly voluntary. Now when it comes to electrical goods, many retailers won't carry or sell product if it doesn't have UL (or their competitor, ETL) approval. But they do this strictly to mitigate liability, not because it's required by law.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's not how UL approval works. There's no law that requires UL approval on any product being sold, much less one that requires you to destroy or stop using a product before an applicable UL category existed for that product. UL approval is strictly voluntary. Now when it comes to electrical goods, many retailers won't carry or sell product if it doesn't have UL (or their competitor, ETL) approval. But they do this strictly to mitigate liability, not because it's required by law.
The won't tell you what you can't do, but they are going over new requirements for imported electrical components specially vaping equipment that will require UL inspections .....and pretty much it will be for Chinese manufactured products, USA products will not be sold without a UL listing and most will have to be built in lipos, no loose batteries.

We will end up with stuff like Blue, Juul, Pure, NJoy, Cigma, Vapor fit, Veppo, and those small vaping pens when you start vaping, whith that little USB charger.......

It's very simple for a non UL listed product to burn your house down......

And when it does it's very simple for an insurance company to deny your clain for using a non compliant electrical device......mmm

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
True UL testing is not required by law but NRTL certification is required on many products by regulations.
Does not have to be UL but some NRTL. And not just on electrical stuff.

I may be wrong on this but do not think so.

Electrical codes for wiring and such...
Rewuirements on mains driven devices are a bit more stringent than for battery powered devices as a general rule.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My device is safe...Tested in a Philipino jungle......
0d1745a4e5bfcc88d0adbb62ef98d84a.jpg
6977ce5a697f8cde8da17e3c75d9f852.jpg
d8333240ebebf9b70746c38356348fe2.jpg

VU Sponsors