Become a Patron!

Why no Series - Parallel 4 Battery Mods?

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
First off, if there are any mods that are wired in series-parallel, please let me know.

Since the 4 battery series mods are becoming somewhat popular, I'm wondering why we haven't seen any series-parallel mods? Nobody uses that much voltage in a quad series, so why not make a 7.4V double mah double amp mod?

Yes, the actual Watt hour is the same (Using Samsung 30q for this example, first in Series - 3.7V * 4 = 14.8V * 3Amp hours = 44.4Watt hours, Series-parallel 3.7V * 2 = 7.4V * 6Ah = 44.4Wh), having the double amps (25amp * 2 = 50amps) is much safer and caters to most vapers.

Having the batteries setup in Series-Parallel would allow for safe low ohm builds as well as higher ohm builds all with the same Whrs that you currently have in quad series mods.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and/or corrections are all greatly appreciated.

Happy Vaping

Edit: All stated ideas are mine and any use of said ideas, gimme my monay!!!!!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Because the manufacturers are in a who's got the biggest dick war with Watts.

Stay tuned for the 400, 450, 500, etc Mod's.

Stupid doesn't even begin to describe them.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
by this time next year, i'll be able to use my mod to run my a/c after a hurricane

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You would still be able to get great wattage at low and high. 250w on a .1ohm is only 5V and 50A (fine with using 25A Batts) and around 182w on .3ohm build. It just seems that there'd be much more versatility with series-parallel.

@f1r3b1rd I loved that video.

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You would still be able to get great wattage at low and high. 250w on a .1ohm is only 5V and 50A (fine with using 25A Batts) and around 182w on .3ohm build. It just seems that there'd be much more versatility with series-parallel.

@f1r3b1rd I loved that video.

It's an understandable question, I can only guess the mfgs run projections and don't see a profitable market to justify the development... yet.

While I haven't refit either of my RVs... it's done in that world.
Normally the coach side has two deep cycle Marine 12v batts (similar to auto batteries) in parallel. Smaller (~half size) golf cart batts pack a slightly higher Ah density and even cranking punch but are only 6v.

You can see where this is going. :p

Last edited:

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking before they go series-parallel (which I promise you they have considered), the will move from 18650's to 26650's.. that way you can get a bit more power out of 2 batteries rather than lugging a mod around that has 4 of them... well, either that or LiPo batteries... there comes a point when the mod is just too big and clunky for most people to carry around (IMHO).

Swerved

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
On a side note, I have 4 SCR rectifiers here at work that put out up to 200vDC @ 2500A each... I've been dying to make some kind of record for largest mod... Here's what we need:

Big ass kanthal wire rod straight from the mill... ~13.1mm will do, we'll need 2 pieces, 18.65 meters each.
Wrap said wire rod around a 1 meter diameter about 7/6 times.. should give us a nice .1 ohm dual coil setup..
Set up the power supply to run @ 200v @ ~2000A (399,706 watts)... that should give us a nice warm vape with a heat flux around 260 mW/mm2
Hmm.... we're gonna need a bigger deck... and cotton. LOTS OF COTTON!!
I've got a couple 3000 gallon tanks around here.. Set the coils on top of a tank with the cotton ends hanging down in the tank... Now we got the worlds biggest rdta setup... BOOYAH!!​

So who's got the lungs for it?

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
First off, if there are any mods that are wired in series-parallel, please let me know.

Since the 4 battery series mods are becoming somewhat popular, I'm wondering why we haven't seen any series-parallel mods? Nobody uses that much voltage in a quad series, so why not make a 7.4V double mah double amp mod?

Yes, the actual Watt hour is the same (Using Samsung 30q for this example, first in Series - 3.7V * 4 = 14.8V * 3Amp hours = 44.4Watt hours, Series-parallel 3.7V * 2 = 7.4V * 6Ah = 44.4Wh), having the double amps (25amp * 2 = 50amps) is much safer and caters to most vapers.

Having the batteries setup in Series-Parallel would allow for safe low ohm builds as well as higher ohm builds all with the same Whrs that you currently have in quad series mods.

Any thoughts, suggestions, and/or corrections are all greatly appreciated.

Happy Vaping

Edit: All stated ideas are mine and any use of said ideas, gimme my monay!!!!!

the 4 battery mods are in series/parallel already. the RX300, GX350, and Maxo 315 are all series parallel. All the triple mods are wired in series. I also assume the exo 360 and sig snow wolf 365 will be as well when they get released

also as far as amps go, the resistance doesn't matter on amp draw for regulated mods. its power/inputvoltage/efficiency = amp draw on batts
so for the maxo for example at 315 watts (its max output) and using nominal voltage of 3.7 each (7.4) and it's 95% efficient (according to ijoy) it would be 315/7.4/95%= 44.8 amps drawn from the battery at any resistance. once the batteries drop below 3.7 though it'll pull more amps

Jim_MDP

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
the 4 battery mods are in series/parallel already. the RX300, GX350, and Maxo 315 are all series parallel. All the triple mods are wired in series. I also assume the exo 360 and sig snow wolf 365 will be as well when they get released

Or are they? That's cool.
... I just checked a pic of the Maxo's sled config and barring some odd wiring layout... it does appear to be 2x2.

I can't even be bothered to get my original RX back up and running, so I hadn't looked at any of the quads at all.

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Or are they? That's cool.
... I just checked a pic of the Maxo's sled config and barring some odd wiring layout... it does appear to be 2x2.

I can't even be bothered to get my original RX back up and running, so I hadn't looked at any of the quads at all.
the triple bat mods like the RX200,200s,2/3 and smok g320 are in series

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Yup... I was saying I haven't even a need for my current triple.
Broke up one of my Utah sets months ago. :D
it's mostly better battery life for me, but a few attys like the TFV12 really are better with triple or quad mods.

gabrielpanoussi

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
right? its only a matter of time before the legalvape 4000 becomes a reality.

I was about to suggest a mod connected to a couple of car batteries on a cart but this guy has me beat. Is it just me or does this vid make a case for fda regulation of the industry? UL regulation?

triakis

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL at that video. I'd be ever so slightly impressed if instead of using a generator they used an inverter, you know so it wouldn't disturb the neighbors? :p

In any case higher power devices are much better suited with lipo batteries. These go very, very large and can put out intermittent power exceeding 100 kilowatts! Talk about a short hit! :p

Car batteries are a poor source for overkill devices these days. Heck if you want to be in the "blow your face off" crowd, you could use a battery of supercapacitors. Use braided bonding line the lightning protection companies use. No wicking needed! You could also soak it with insect fog, hit the fire button and enjoy a mosquito free patio for a few hours!

Actually now that I think about how these commercial fog machines work it would probably make more sense to use induction to heat up a copper tubing coil to 600C and then use a diaphragm or peristaltic pump to force the juice into that coil. Once the power/flow ratio is optimal you have an outrageous cloud with little fluid coming out of the nozzle.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Voltage boosting is an inefficient process, having 3V (several empty batteries in parallel) and trying to boost it to 9V would be very inefficient, so it shouldn't be parallel.

As far as battery life it doesn't really matter for a regulated device if it's parallel or serial.

So it doesn't matter if it's just serial or parallel serial.

Last edited:

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
LOL at that video. I'd be ever so slightly impressed if instead of using a generator they used an inverter, you know so it wouldn't disturb the neighbors? :p

In any case higher power devices are much better suited with lipo batteries. These go very, very large and can put out intermittent power exceeding 100 kilowatts! Talk about a short hit! :p

Car batteries are a poor source for overkill devices these days. Heck if you want to be in the "blow your face off" crowd, you could use a battery of supercapacitors. Use braided bonding line the lightning protection companies use. No wicking needed! You could also soak it with insect fog, hit the fire button and enjoy a mosquito free patio for a few hours!

Actually now that I think about how these commercial fog machines work it would probably make more sense to use induction to heat up a copper tubing coil to 600C and then use a diaphragm or peristaltic pump to force the juice into that coil. Once the power/flow ratio is optimal you have an outrageous cloud with little fluid coming out of the nozzle.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm thinking before they go series-parallel (which I promise you they have considered), the will move from 18650's to 26650's.. that way you can get a bit more power out of 2 batteries rather than lugging a mod around that has 4 of them... well, either that or LiPo batteries... there comes a point when the mod is just too big and clunky for most people to carry around (IMHO).
I wholeheartedly agree. At a minimum, new mods shoot be using 20700's.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years

also as far as amps go, the resistance doesn't matter on amp draw for regulated mods. its power/inputvoltage/efficiency = amp draw on batts
so for the maxo for example at 315 watts (its max output) and using nominal voltage of 3.7 each (7.4) and it's 95% efficient (according to ijoy) it would be 315/7.4/95%= 44.8 amps drawn from the battery at any resistance. once the batteries drop below 3.7 though it'll pull more amps
Not sure about the RX300, but I can definitively say that the Maxo and GX350 are in series.

As far as the amps, what I am trying to get across is that by safely doubling the amperage, people can build low and still be battery safe.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Voltage boosting is an inefficient process, having 3V (several empty batteries in parallel) and trying to boost it to 9V would be very inefficient, so it shouldn't be parallel.

As far as battery life it doesn't really matter for a regulated device if it's parallel or serial.

So it doesn't matter if it's just serial or parallel serial.
I'm confused. . . . .

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
Not sure about the RX300, but I can definitively say that the Maxo and GX350 are in series.

As far as the amps, what I am trying to get across is that by safely doubling the amperage, people can build low and still be battery safe.

They are a series parallel. Here is a pic of the maxo battery door
7caf0c480e92d7f6e8333c4bca1cae60.jpg

It shows clearly 2 sets of batteries in parallel. They didn't label it though on the gx350 but it's the same as well and the rx300. The smok is easy to tell because the screen shows 2 battery meters. 1 meter for each set of batteries. The rx300 has individual battery meters

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
They are a series parallel. Here is a pic of the maxo battery door
7caf0c480e92d7f6e8333c4bca1cae60.jpg

It shows clearly 2 sets of batteries in parallel. They didn't label it though on the gx350 but it's the same as well and the rx300. The smok is easy to tell because the screen shows 2 battery meters. 1 meter for each set of batteries. The rx300 has individual battery meters

That is simply the 2 sets of batteries. Whereas the GX dropped support for only 1 set, the Maxo still allows for the use of just 1 set of batteries. There's an easy, still easy, and a bit more complicated way (and redundant if you do step 2) to check the wiring of the batteries.

1. The fact that the batteries are alternating is a pretty strong indication that the batteries are in series. Negative to Positive to Negative to Positive. Although, some mods have funky wiring. So on to step 2.

2. Check the wiring. If all or any of the positives are directly wired together, there's a parallel. Not so in the Maxo or GX. Still unsure?

3. Pop 4 batteries in at 4.2V. Check the voltage on the positive line going TO the board. If it's anything above an 8.4V (8.4V is in a perfect world with no drops) it's in series. If it's lower than it's series-parallel.

Also, you can see by simply throwing a .6+ ohm build on it and firing it at 315w. Even with batteries at around 3.5V you are still able to get 9V. You wouldn't be able to with a series-parallel mod.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just a disabled veteran who has far too much time on my hands.

If I missed something, please lemme know.

Happy Vaping

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
That is simply the 2 sets of batteries. Whereas the GX dropped support for only 1 set, the Maxo still allows for the use of just 1 set of batteries. There's an easy, still easy, and a bit more complicated way (and redundant if you do step 2) to check the wiring of the batteries.

1. The fact that the batteries are alternating is a pretty strong indication that the batteries are in series. Negative to Positive to Negative to Positive. Although, some mods have funky wiring. So on to step 2.

2. Check the wiring. If all or any of the positives are directly wired together, there's a parallel. Not so in the Maxo or GX. Still unsure?

3. Pop 4 batteries in at 4.2V. Check the voltage on the positive line going TO the board. If it's anything above an 8.4V (8.4V is in a perfect world with no drops) it's in series. If it's lower than it's series-parallel.

Also, you can see by simply throwing a .6+ ohm build on it and firing it at 315w. Even with batteries at around 3.5V you are still able to get 9V. You wouldn't be able to with a series-parallel mod.

I'm not trying to argue, I'm just a disabled veteran who has far too much time on my hands.

If I missed something, please lemme know.

Happy Vaping

I already disassembled the maxo in my review. It's series parallel. The gx350 I didn't yet but I know it's series parallel. The battery meter alone proves that.

I don't find it arguing at all :) it's always good to persue more info. I do my own Tech reviews I can say for sure the maxo, rx300 and gx350 are series parallel as I have them.

VapeVillian

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I already disassembled the maxo in my review. It's series parallel. The gx350 I didn't yet but I know it's series parallel. The battery meter alone proves that.

I don't find it arguing at all :) it's always good to persue more info. I do my own Tech reviews I can say for sure the maxo, rx300 and gx350 are series parallel as I have them.

And you good sir are absolutely correct. This time I tested the with the main board connected (and then actually looked at the main PCB showing it is in series-parallel) and got what I was looking for. I now am confused as I cannot recreate my initial test results from before. Gonna fiddle and figure it out.

Thanks for giving me the insight (and motivation to tear it apart again) I needed.

Happy Vaping

SirRichardRear

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
And you good sir are absolutely correct. This time I tested the with the main board connected (and then actually looked at the main PCB showing it is in series-parallel) and got what I was looking for. I now am confused as I cannot recreate my initial test results from before. Gonna fiddle and figure it out.

Thanks for giving me the insight (and motivation to tear it apart again) I needed.

Happy Vaping

No problem! It's a fun hobby fidgeting with electronics :)

VU Sponsors