Become a Patron!

Why is box mod hardware a secret

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I am pretty damn smart with computers but can't find anywhere to buy the hardware to build a box mod. Fast Tech has the board w/chip right there to buy even seen some on EBay. Hanna clone @FT looks good for 56.00 but I want more. 50 or better. I use 26650's a lot.

VapeG33k

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

VapeG33k

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If you want 50 or more chips. Why don't you try surfing Alibaba or maybe someone here with a wholesaler contact will share with you. Good luck.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want 50 or more chips. Why don't you try surfing Alibaba or maybe someone here with a wholesaler contact will share with you. Good luck.
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I want 50 watts or better. I have built a couple of drippers with 8 coils, (just to see if I could do it) and I don't have the watts to crank them like I want to. Been thinking of using a motorcycle battery for power at home with a voltage reducer. Those USB cables work fine on Ego's. Don't do anything on a real atomizer. Someone out there knows.

aussie

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I want 50 watts or better. I have built a couple of drippers with 8 coils, (just to see if I could do it) and I don't have the watts to crank them like I want to. Been thinking of using a motorcycle battery for power at home with a voltage reducer. Those USB cables work fine on Ego's. Don't do anything on a real atomizer. Someone out there knows.
5v rail on a comp power supply maybe

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
5v rail on a comp power supply maybe
Your on the path. If your old enough there was a hobby called Slot Cars. We made some insane ones!
A custom mod to me is a challenge. I'm a cloud chaser anyway. Just saw some beautiful mods on another thread.
If I can find out where he gets the parts I'm well on the way. Insane is one step above great.

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Try browsing the modding section on the breaktru forums. A lot of good info there and very knowledgeable people.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Cases of win: http://www.mammothelectronics.com/aluminum-enclosures-s/22.htm

how about Cherry Violet Sparkle?

500-1005-1816.jpg

DzNutz uses 'em....I found 'em for him. They have gorgeous finishes and even will drill holes for ya.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
If I can make a suggestions. Mechanical boxes have been ad naseum...

You want big power and ease of construction that is not expensive go with the OKL2-T20 made by mirata. Mamu did a good how to. You can push up to 6 volts out instead of the claimed 5.5 max by using a 1.3k ohm resistor instead of the 1.5k ohm. The okl is wattage limited not straight voltage so it won't go into protect till it hits 110 watts. Very easy to build and the oil + 2 18650s + buttons etc will fit in a Hammond 1590g size box if done right. For 13$ you won't find a better dcdc converter! All in it can be built for under 50 bucks including 2 Sony vtc5s.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have no interest at all in selling anything. My Uncle is a Master Machinist. He said you find the parts & I will do any machine work you need. I bought a lot of parts, I'm sure I bought some stuff I don't even need. But I am old school. Better to have too much, than not enough. I ordered 1 120 Raptor & 1 OKL T 10 for starters. If I screw it up it's no great $ loss. FT, digikey, & mouser are sending the whole mess. I may entertain building more in the future.
Hell I'm not even sure what it's going to do. I bought some stuff for the shop also. The Mod parts were not much at all. Both chips were under 20 each. End Mills & stuff, there real expensive!

claviger

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ya it's amazing how cheap the materials are honestly. I suggest starting out with the OKL first, if you fubar it who cares lol. The raptors are in short supply as demand is far outstripping supply recently. That raptor chip is actually a tad better than the 110 OKL2, but harder to come by, thus the OKL2 suggestion.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I did the math on the Mod I am going to attempt to build. 120Watt. 36.41 + 15.29 for 3 Six Packs of Beer. The build is worth a lot more to me than spending the bucks for a factory made unit.

Parts for all kinds of mods are out there Saddletramp...a lot of the work is creating the RIGHT search params in Digikey and such...I have been working with a 160 watt regulator for my Behemoth mod but it requires a 12v input...so 3 batts required...but it gives me a touch more room in a larger box to add goodies like internal charging from any 12v source and doesn't strain the batts like a 2 batt mod does.
... :D

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Parts for all kinds of mods are out there Saddletramp...a lot of the work is creating the RIGHT search params in Digikey and such...I have been working with a 160 watt regulator for my Behemoth mod but it requires a 12v input...so 3 batts required...but it gives me a touch more room in a larger box to add goodies like internal charging from any 12v source and doesn't strain the batts like a 2 batt mod does.
... :D
All the parts are on the way. Future Tech will be the only hold up. But they do deliver eventually. Hope the board comes with at least a wiring diagram. I have some idea of what I am in for. I have never even seen a box mod in person. But Hey, I will never know if I don't try.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If anyone cares to see a low cost board with led readout, EBay has one for 10.39 + 5,50 S+H from Hong Kong.
75W 5A should cook some juice. Item # 321406497303
I bought one just to try it out.

Big Jake

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Your on the path. If your old enough there was a hobby called Slot Cars. We made some insane ones!
A custom mod to me is a challenge. I'm a cloud chaser anyway. Just saw some beautiful mods on another thread.
If I can find out where he gets the parts I'm well on the way. Insane is one step above great.
You Had to bring up slot cars lol Ive been daydreaming of the days racing gplus and magnatraction at the eagle raceway sold all my cars when I went in the military. Sorry off topic

Wolftek

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Slot Cars?... Did some one say Slot Cars?... I remember a sleek a sleek 1 Ohm ceramic resister shrouded inside by a perfectly dressed pink silicone
wiring loom with 3 alligator clips on the end. Lap times were 18 sec on a light weight frame and low clearance red magnets in the the armature.

Aha Sweet Memories ... MARSHAL! :)

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I now have enough parts coming to build 4 Mods. Also bought a Hana Modz DNA 30 from FT. Wanted one anyway. My theory is learn how to build mods while Vapin' on the 30. Then remove the 30 & put whatever board I want in it.
Have a OKL T-20 100w coming. I will save it for when I know what I am doing, Also an LCD readout, the other boards are 75, & 100w.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Found One You Tube Vid showing how to wire a OKL2-T/20. He didn't make Part 2 so I'm screwed. Don't know resistor values, Fuse Values, ect. Can anyone help me? Also I may need a seeing eye dog after I build this.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
im a box mod junkie, wont be long before 100 watt devices are just as mainstream as the DNA 30s are now.. i would even be cool with a hana v4 100w box mod same design with 3x the wattage, too bad they're spending all their resources on law suits. maybe china (cloupor) can innovate on this one?

Bahas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank You Big time. It just keeps getting better & better. An old saying I live by : A person is not beat till they give up. All these new friends, to know. All of you Bless me more than you know. Thank You all.
No problem it helps to be a nerd and liking to find information on everything you can get your hands on. I have the schematics on the wiring for the evolve chips too if needed.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
im a box mod junkie, wont be long before 100 watt devices are just as mainstream as the DNA 30s are now.. i would even be cool with a hana v4 100w box mod same design with 3x the wattage, too bad they're spending all their resources on law suits. maybe china (cloupor) can innovate on this one?
Hana has cut their own throat. I ride a motorcycle with an S&S motor, Amen frame. Looks just like a Harley. Don't hear Harley bitchin'.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No problem it helps to be a nerd and liking to find information on everything you can get your hands on. I have the schematics on the wiring for the evolve chips too if needed.
My email is saddletramp1200@gmail. Any help is most welcome. I am drooling over the sx 350. If I can get a build down that works like it should the rest will not be so difficult. I had found a video on building the OKL T/20 box mod but it was in two parts. He has not posted the 2nd part. The parts are so cheap it is an affordable hobby for me. More than that, it's Fun.

303vapeguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Hana has cut their own throat. I ride a motorcycle with an S&S motor, Amen frame. Looks just like a Harley. Don't hear Harley bitchin'.
Haha ya hana and I don't carry a good relationship so I just ordered a clone to pretty much replace my authentic

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Haha ya hana and I don't carry a good relationship so I just ordered a clone to pretty much replace my authentic
I have a DNA 30 on the way from FT. Have the desire to make Mods just for grins. I have to. My eyesight is not what it was, but I don't give up. I will pull the DNA 30 out of the case & put whatever I want in it. 120 or 350 watts or 50 watts. It's about the challenge, not the glory. I smoked a cheap Volt/Amp meter yesterday. Hooked it up wrong. But I learned. Ordered another one. I will know this time. Sometimes the trip is more important than the finish.

M5amhan

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have a DNA 30 on the way from FT. Have the desire to make Mods just for grins. I have to. My eyesight is not what it was, but I don't give up. I will pull the DNA 30 out of the case & put whatever I want in it. 120 or 350 watts or 50 watts.

i was thinking about ordering a clone from FT or even waiting to see if i can just buy the shell to install a high wattage chip preferably a DNA style LED.. its the perfect all day device imo just needs better sub ohm compatibility

ive heard horrible things about their customer service and im sure its gotten worse since the law suits

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
i was thinking about ordering a clone from FT or even waiting to see if i can just buy the shell to install a high wattage chip preferably a DNA style LED.. its the perfect all day device imo just needs better sub ohm compatibility

ive heard horrible things about their customer service and im sure its gotten worse since the law suits
I hear ya. When I order I just assume a Month or more for delivery. If I need it now I go to 101 Vapes. or other retail vape people. FT just amuses me. Their 1/2 way around the world from me. I watch Maritime news also. When I see a ship loose containers in a storm, I add another month. I pay out the behind for shipping from places like Mouser, Digikey, & so forth. But I get what I want that week. I have to wait till August to build anything as the chips are on the way. EBay is fast also. I can build some of it. I can look at a board for hours, put it up & think about what I want to do. I have about a month to regain my soldiering skills. I didn't expect the boards to be so tiny. I'm not sure I can do it. I was pretty good, but it is going to be a challenge, a big one.

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

FWIW, a few USA sites and FT are selling just the boards for modder folks.

Here's from Focalecig for $29 bucks: http://focalecig.com/Product/HANA-MODZ-Pack-DNA-30-StyleMod-Modules7-30W-19711

They also have the black no-logo mod itself for $56
http://focalecig.com/Product/HANAA-MODZ-Pack-DNA-30-StyleModblack-19557

303vapeguy

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

I ordered mine from eciggity, i figured it was safer then ft considering china has no customer service anyways lol

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
My sincerest of respect for those with the skill to build their own mods.

But for me, the only thing I can build is additional charges to my credit card.

Sigh

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My sincerest of respect for those with the skill to build their own mods.

But for me, the only thing I can build is additional charges to my credit card.

Sigh
Have everything I need so far ordered. Some of it's here. I might wind up with a melted mess, but I'm going to give it Hell! Only thing that scares me is soldering to that tiny & I mean Tiny board. Not quite as big as two postage stamps. It's going to be fun!

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a Tech Tip. The aluminum box I bought for my mod. I sprayed the inside with Flex Seal, that rubber stuff in a can. Going to secure everything with Hot Glue & 3M two sided tape. No chance for a short from the box. Put tape over the screw holes. Motorcycle inner tube will work as well.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
With a great amount of THANKS to Ksprings, I found a pdf.on http://mamumods.com/tutes/ario_howto.pdf. This shows step by step how to build a vv mod. Parts list everything to build a Mod. It's a no brainer. My case & Chip is not the same as theirs as there using a DNA chip. I am now confident I can do this. My true heart felt Thanks to everyone that helped this hard headed old coot. I could buy one for less but it would not be mine. Have a DNA 30 on the way. My satisfaction will be Vaping off of something I built. Never give up.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
With a great amount of THANKS to Ksprings, I found a pdf.on http://mamumods.com/tutes/ario_howto.pdf. This shows step by step how to build a vv mod. Parts list everything to build a Mod. It's a no brainer. My case & Chip is not the same as theirs as there using a DNA chip. I am now confident I can do this. My true heart felt Thanks to everyone that helped this hard headed old coot. I could buy one for less but it would not be mine. Have a DNA 30 on the way. My satisfaction will be Vaping off of something I built. Never give up.

Rock on...
music-131.gif

I picked up my chip from FT, received it in 12 days no issues. Still have to order cradle, buttons, and window. After it's all said and done it will look like one of these. Those are all unregulated dual 18650 in parallel, 18g solid wiring, spring loaded 510 connector. Magnets on battery plates

4yda3ejy.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Builders, look at what I found. ICTECH-INC.COM/Hardware. Google it, Translate to English, and feast your eyes.
I fired off an email to find out how to buy from them. I am pretty sure FT gets their parts from them.

VU Sponsors