Become a Patron!

Why does my charger stay red?

I have an ego-t battery, the light on the charger is suppose to turn green when it's fully charged, I let it charge for about 8 hours and the light was still red but it hasn't died yet. I'be had it for a couple days now I just don't know if this is normal because it stills seem to be charging I'm just not sure.

bwent

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
battery could be bad, or going bad. I'd replace it

VapingJunkie

Down with the Clown
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Is this the charger you purchased with your device? If not, that may be why the light won't go off. If so, you may just have a bad charger. Since they're cheaper, I'd try replacing the charger before your battery. If it turns out your battery *IS* bad, now you have an extra charger. Also, if you're in the market for another battery, you might want to pick up an extra one (assuming your vape budget allows you to do so)

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
eGo-T's take a different charger than regular eGos too...a higher voltage of 4.2V and about half an Amp of current.

This is from Joye, they should know...

http://www.joyetech.com/product/details.php?gno=34

Be sure you use the proper charger for your device!

• 3.7v ego charger with a 4.2v ego-t: will take forever if at all because it hasn't got the power needed.
  • 4.2v ego-t charger with a 3.7v ego: BOOM.

Just because a vendor sold it with the device, does NOT mean it is correct.
A lot of clueless vendors out there, escp. B&M guys who just don't care.
;)

Edit...NVM....

Last edited:

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, CaFF, that's not right.

All eGo chargers are pretty much the same: 4.2V at 420mA. It varies a little between brands, but not enough to cause a problem.

It's the 510 chargers that are different: still 4.2V, but only 150mA. They would take 3x longer to charge an eGo than the correct charger, but should still finish eventually.

@vaporfeen23, are you saying you've had the problem for a couple of days, or the battery?

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Sorry, CaFF, that's not right.

All eGo chargers are pretty much the same: 4.2V at 420mA. It varies a little between brands, but not enough to cause a problem.

It's the 510 chargers that are different: still 4.2V, but only 150mA. They would take 3x longer to charge an eGo than the correct charger, but should still finish eventually.

@vaporfeen23, are you saying you've had the problem for a couple of days, or the battery?

Hmm, perhaps my info is out of date or I'm just confused. ;)
I've never had an eGo personally. Maybe I was mixing up the types.

Other than the KGO and VV types, I thought the generic eGo was 3.7v?

Although, I guess it's like our mod batteries...3.7v rated, but come off charger at 4.2v
3.7 is the nominal voltage...with almost all 3.7 batts, they will come off the charger at 4.1-4.2 volts...the Kgos are unregulated so, they will measure out near the higher volts compared to say an Ego which are regulated at around 3.4v

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo.../261892-kgo-voltage-question.html#post5133999

Last edited:

bobby.q

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Maybe you over tightened your device and pushed in the center pin,,, now you gotta pull it back out so it can make contact..
Take a small pry tool and wiggle that center pin on your battery up about 1/16th of an inch..
That should do it..

Hermit

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Although, I guess it's like our mod batteries...3.7v rated, but come off charger at 4.2v

Yep, that's it. Output regulation, if any, has no effect on charging.

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, that's it. Output regulation, if any, has no effect on charging.

And they say eGo's are simpler/easier...

Gimme a mod and a 18650 battery anyday. :D

Thx for catching my misinformation though, I don't want to tell peeps the wrong info.. ;)

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I first began using ego batteries I found the chargers began to become inconsistent pretty fast. I found that when a light on one began to stay on red, testing the battery on a multimeter still showed it was charged. So as long as it's not a brand new ego I'd say after a couple of hours charge you're good to go - unless the charger is broken or not making a connection, in which case what @bobby.q said.

Hobby Kid

Brighton Boy
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd like to say that there are ego chargers which claim to deliver more power. Haven't tested them. Don't intend to. Don't intend to get into an ego debate either. Egos are too volatile and inconsistent to trouble myself with: ego-T's or wtr

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
@Hermit and @CaFF I agree with you both!
@vaporfeen23 I think you may have just gotten overwhelmed with technical responses... let me try to simplify this for you...

1. Be sure you are using the charger designed for your battery
  2. Make sure the connections on the battery and the charger are clean (if dirty, wipe with alcohol to clean)
  3. Make sure the pin in the center of the battery is making contact (This can be adjusted by GENTLY pulling up with tweezers or a small screwdriver)
  4. Try a different charger, if you do not have another charger I highly recommend you get a couple spares... you can pick up ego chargers just about anywhere for $2-$4.
  5. How old is the battery? ... Remember that Ego batteries do "expire"... they have a life of about 400-600 charges before they go bad... just like a cordless phone battery does. If this battery has had constant use for 6 months or more, I would advise replacing it.
  6. If none of the above fixes the problem... I strongly recommend you get a new battery AND charger. It is not safe to leave a battery on the charger for more than a few hours of normal charge time... or at the most, overnight. And since the red light is staying on, this means power is still being pushed to the battery. If needed, I would be happy to recommend a few sites where you can get kits for under $10.

VU Sponsors