Become a Patron!

Why do they keep venting?

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
So I've had a few batteries vent. Not because I am pushing them too hard, but because they get wet. I am a commercial fisherman and after trying many different options for vaping while on the water, I found that mech mods are the best option. There is no chip to get ruined if they get wet and as long as I strip them down every night to clean an oil them the salt water doesn't seem to affect their performance.

The thing I have ran into though is batteries venting when they come into contact with salt water. It doesn't happen from a little bit of moisture, but a few times now when the cell gets fully submerged it will vent. It is not a hot venting at all. The cell doesn't heat up it just slowly vents out all of its guts.

So I am posting this because I am curious why this is happening. I assume the venting disk is very easily corroded or something, but I'm not sure because they do get wet sometimes it's only when they get fully submerged that it happens.

As long as my mod has proper venting then this isn't that big of a deal right? I am under the belief that since the battery isn't at all warm that there is not much of a risk of the cell going into thermal runaway.

What do you guys think?

Sent from my SM-S727VL using Tapatalk

fightinggoat

Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Water, especially salt water, conducts electricity, when the battery is fully submerged it is shorting the positive and negative posts together via saltwater.

I would venture to guess that it doesn't feel hot because it's being cooled by the water outside while it's heating up inside.

Maybe consider the aegis or new aegis legend, it's fully submersible, has seals and orings to keep it airtight.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
So I've had a few batteries vent. Not because I am pushing them too hard, but because they get wet. I am a commercial fisherman and after trying many different options for vaping while on the water, I found that mech mods are the best option. There is no chip to get ruined if they get wet and as long as I strip them down every night to clean an oil them the salt water doesn't seem to affect their performance.

The thing I have ran into though is batteries venting when they come into contact with salt water. It doesn't happen from a little bit of moisture, but a few times now when the cell gets fully submerged it will vent. It is not a hot venting at all. The cell doesn't heat up it just slowly vents out all of its guts.

So I am posting this because I am curious why this is happening. I assume the venting disk is very easily corroded or something, but I'm not sure because they do get wet sometimes it's only when they get fully submerged that it happens.

As long as my mod has proper venting then this isn't that big of a deal right? I am under the belief that since the battery isn't at all warm that there is not much of a risk of the cell going into thermal runaway.

What do you guys think?

Salt water is very electrically conductive, it could actually be completing a circuit when your whole battery gets wet from positive to negative

derrickfosgate

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I used to fly rc helis and this is how we deenergized old lipos is submerging them it salt water so my guess is the salt does something like stated above

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ok I am glad I asked. This is more hazardous than I realized. Thanks for the responses.

jwill

The Great King of Nothing
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 2 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reddit Exile
VU SWAT
Have you considered a dry bag while you are on the water? Get your mod out when you want to use it then put it back in the dry bag. We used to go kayaking for weeks at a time and this is how we kept our vapes dry.

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yup. Salt water, or water with lots of calcium or other minerals(hard water) is very conductive. Much more so than water with few or no solids in it.

That's how those TDS meters that come with Zero Water(the water filters) work. They pass a current between electrodes to check conductivness.

zerowater-tds-meter.jpg

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah I have had a couple Aegis's, no Aegis', or is it Aegii? Anyway I have one that still works. It works good but it's getting hard for me to get a satisfying vape on one battery. I work with guys who are constantly chain smoking and I can't get away from it. If I want a cigarette they are always within reach and there are smokey clouds wafting in my face.
It is real easy to just pick up a smoke when my battery is getting weak or cold or something along those lines. This makes it very important to me to be able to get a hot cloudy vape to satiate me that is just really hard to get from a single 26650 without changing the battery constantly (which I don't have time to do).

I will give the Aegis legend a shot when it goes on sale even though I hate regulated mods (out of the 15 or so mods i own the Aegis is my only regulated mod). Until it comes out I think I will just keep using my hammer of god and if it happens to get submerged again I will just drop the batteries out immediately.

Fudgey Finger

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I see guys using MOD's on Deadliest Catch on the deck so they must be doing something right....
Maybe one of them will come in this thread and give me some pointers, because finding a way to get a consistently satisfying vape has been a real challenge for me on the boat. The cold is just as much of a challenge as the water. I don't have the time to keep it in my pocket or anything like that, but with 4 cells the voltage drop from the cold becomes less of a concern.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The CONSVR tube mod comes in a watertight plastic cup that pops open when you squeeze the sides near the top.

CONSVR US Navy mod:

navy.jpg

CONSVR Seal Team mod:

seal team.jpg

VU Sponsors