Become a Patron!

Why are tanks hitting so different from mod to mod?

flexsr

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
hey guys ,

Why are tanks hitting so different from mod to mod. I only use in v/w. I make sure each mod recognizes the proper resistance when switching tanks.

Is it the air flow of the 510 connection on mod ? Is it the connection between mod and tank? Or is it the type of wattage that each mod provides? Is it that different mods use different methods of providing voltage- pulse width modulation ? Or choice D. none of the above ?

Looking to buy one more mod - what are some examples of mods that would hit proper - or what are some mods or chips I should stay away from ?

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Issues like this would suggest the mod is at fault. I am sure a dozen folks will be able to clarify further.

PWM is absolutely different than straight DC.

What mods and tank are you using that cause this issue? (I don't believe VU has "Psychic Powers" badges).

PS: nice of someone to crossout this stuff - still don't see the switch for it ;-)

Last edited:

YodaTheJuggalo

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Reddit Exile
hey guys ,

Why are tanks hitting so different from mod to mod. I only use in v/w. I make sure each mod recognizes the proper resistance when switching tanks.

Is it the air flow of the 510 connection on mod ? Is it the connection between mod and tank? Or is it the type of wattage that each mod provides? Is it that different mods use different methods of providing voltage- pulse width modulation ? Or choice D. none of the above ?

Looking to buy one more mod - what are some examples of mods that would hit proper - or what are some mods or chips I should stay away from ?
DNA 250 chips are amazing. I have The VGOD PRO150 it's powered by the ATOMV.150B chipset designed specifically by Atom Vapes for this device. And it hits like a champ

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Since you do not specify what MOD's you are talking about a guess at why MOD's hit differently at the same wattage could be as simple as the size of the battery if built in or the number of cells. I know from my own personal experience using the same tanks on different MOD's I need to raise the wattage slightly when using the iStick TC40W compared to my 3 cell RX200S to get the same vape.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yeah, the normal variance of VW between variant chipsets. (I'd not even have mentioned it, so common)

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
Theoretically a tank should feel the same from 1 mod to the next giving the same settings. Could one mod be a hair different from the next? Sure but not dramatically. If you are noticing significant differences using the same tank with the same coil on different mods with the same settings, then there is an issue somewhere. If you are using TC then the answer is every manufacturer's TC works differently so there can easily be differences. But if you are straight up using only power mode or wattage mode then there shouldn't be any major differences.

Please tell us the mods, the atty, the coil and the mod settings so we may be able to pinpoint what is going on

cpfauburn

Member For 1 Year
i just noticed having similar issue. i have an x priv amd g priv 2. ive tried same batteries(30qs &vtv6s) and still i notice a drop off from gpriv2 to my xpriv using the same tank at same wattage. i know that gpriv 2 has 4 preheat setting in vw compared to xpriv having only 3. but even when i put my g on normal and x on hard it doesnt hit as hard

cpfauburn

Member For 1 Year
i figured since they are both newer in the smok line they have the same chipset. so im not sure...
and im new to this forum and have sone questions about putting an cleito120 rta on them..should i post a new thread in regulated or somewhere having to do with builds? my questions are regarding wattage w prebuilt and build of my own.

PoppaVic

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'd first search for an apropos thread, then add one - unless you are asking a specific person a specific question, (so it doesn't hijack the entire thread).

cpfauburn

Member For 1 Year
think i found it thanks...i just ordered lg hd4s(i know it doesnt matter much for regulated mods) after reading a bunch of stuff from mooch and other forums, in hopes that theyll solve the problem of the drop off for mt x priv..or just to make my gpriv 2 hit even harder

cpfauburn

Member For 1 Year
i know the voltage read out on my mod is whats going thru the chip..so i dont know if that number will tell ya anything but voltsge is reading out less w same tank/same ohms/same wattahe/same batteries

Silver79

Member For 4 Years
One of the biggest differences is efficiency. Chipset's are kinda like car amplifiers (which are classed- abc-d-t). If your mods board is say 70% efficient, that means 30% of its power is dissapated in heat (which is a measured form of power). Which means your 200w can really only put 140w to the coil....not accounting for voltage drop of course.

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
If you take two different mods and you set both of them to 100 watts, then one mod could output 110 watts and the other one could output as low as 90 watts because the numbers shown on the display of a regulated mod aren't necessarily always very accurate. Another thing is that different chips react differently to the voltage sag of the batteries so going for a harder hitting battery (Sony VTC5A) can help to improve the performance of the chip. (Even, if you only vape as low as 40 watts per battery.) Increasing the number of batteries─thereby decreasing the amp load on each battery─can have a similar effect on the chip's performance, as the voltage sag is also partly determined by the amp load.

Real Extract in Seattle

VU Vendor
VU Vendor
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The quality of the voltage regulation is my belief. I stuck with the Provari mods and later the Dicodes. Both are very consistent (but expensive).

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The quality of the voltage regulation is my belief. I stuck with the Provari mods and later the Dicodes. Both are very consistent (but expensive).
The voltage regulation is only one small piece of the puzzle, as the chip still needs to be capable to accurately measure the voltage it receives from the batteries before it can regulate anything. The voltage from the batteries fluctuates due to the voltage sag so, the bigger the voltage sag, the more this voltage fluctuates, and the less accurate this measurement becomes. This measuring is done via an ADC (Analog to Digital Converter) circuit. The performance/accuracy of this ADC is what's also affected by the voltage fluctuations in the power signal that powers it, as part of the ADC's own circuitry is analogue and sensitive. So the power supply of the board is part responsible for accuracy. But so is the EMI (electromagnetic interference) generated by nearby digital parts, as the sensitive analogue parts and the metal conductors connected to them pick up the EMI like an antenna.

VU Sponsors