Become a Patron!

Why a mech?

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And just because something CAN be done, does not mean that it SHOULD -- I hope some newbie doesnt read that 40A from a 25R. :facepalm:

Andria

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I always break into a sweat when I have to buy batteries, making sure I get the right ones. There are soooo many, it gets comfuzzling.

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
There is a difference between un-manipulated direct DC power then that from a chip that manipulates the power. I know some say there is no difference but there is and this is also reinforced by numerous others who I let vape on my Mech's, they almost always comment on how smooth the Vape is.
You literally just gave me a reason to hook up my mech pro to an oscilloscope and for that I am very thankful :)

Rossum

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Why choose a mech over a regulated mod? What are the benefits?
Advantages:
  • Reliability; they just work.
  • Repairability; if something does break, it can be fixed.
  • Durability; I'm confident they will still work 20 or 30 years from now, assuming I live that long.
  • Less temptation to fiddle. I used a DNA40 as my go-to device for most of a year. During that time, I developed a bad tendency to crank it up to compensate for an aging build as opposed to fixing the build.

Drawbacks:
  • They do need some contact maintenance, and the quality of the contacts, particularly at switch that makes and breaks the connection all the time matters.
  • Lack of protection. This would bother me more if any of my mods had the potential to become pipe bombs, but none of them do.
  • The vape definitely changes with the battery's state-of-charge, but I've come to find this quality somewhat endearing.
  • The useful capacity of a battery is somewhat lower than on the better regulated mods, but this doesn't matter to me, since I can easily make it through a full day at work or a 600 mile drive on a single charged cell.

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
And just because something CAN be done, does not mean that it SHOULD -- I hope some newbie doesnt read that 40A from a 25R. :facepalm:

Andria

In all fairness I don't think whiteowl is condoning to use batteries like this at least that's now how I read into it anyway ...think it was a case the conversation was escalated unnecessarily by both sides and went down a bad pathway unnecessarily

To any noobs reading stick within the safe CDR rating of the battery when calculating amp draw

he's helped plenty of us over in the coil section showing and helping everyone how to build advanced coils some of his techniques have helped me immensely

Carry on ...:)

Khassy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
You just gave me a great idea for what I want for my "birthday supper"-- chalupas from Taco Hell!! :giggle:

Andria

11042293_10205147033407689_5935913170445541368_n_zps6zhx2ri6.jpg

Carambrda

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
My Harmon Cardin citation 12 power amp from the 1960s out performs most modern sound systems. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate modern equipment, I just prefer this.
My Emotiva XPA-2 tastes better... and it hits much harder.:D

crazydmnd

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I still like an ol fashioned 1 ohm kayfun or taifun vape...im working on owning every version ever made of the two manufacturers...all will be clones but, so far the clones have made me happy at higher ohms and lower power.

Then i have my mid vape set ups and "clouds bro" set ups as well.

I like all the levels of vaping but find myself about mid way the majority of the time.
Really? I have literally every kayfun accesorry when accessories for an rba was still a new concept, so like the wolvessix top, all the science of vaping stuff, and like every kfl when a brass of black kfl was like, whoa no way... I was sooo into collecting them..

I wouldn't mind getting rid of some maybe ;)...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

crazydmnd

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Again it depends on your definition of subohm.
I vape .4 at 18 watts. A lovely flavorful vape.
True, I define it as < 1.0 ohm, but you couldn't have done your setup back then, even at 18 watts because until evolve put out the DNA board, no other board could fire at that low of a resistance...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
For me, a mech is something I use alongside my regulated mods for something different.

Building for them is a bit more of an art than for a regulated mod, which can be fun finding the balance of wire mass and resistance to give a nice vape across the voltage range of the battery.

90% of the time I am using a regulated mod, but a mech is nice to use from time to time.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
For me, a mech is something I use alongside my regulated mods for something different.

Building for them is a bit more of an art than for a regulated mod, which can be fun finding the balance of wire mass and resistance to give a nice vape across the voltage range of the battery.

90% of the time I am using a regulated mod, but a mech is nice to use from time to time.
I was like that for the longest time.
The last few months it's been totally the other way around.
I pulled out a DNA mod for the first time in weeks today.
Time to put it back though, just not the same.

BAM crew

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Safety this and safety thaat... :blah: Nyaa nya nyaahhh...
You guys are really killin my buzz. :) Buncha party poopers. :gaah:

Everybody knows experimentation is the fastest way to learn about electricity.:).. (makes great youtube vids too)

Ever wonder what would happen if ya put the battery in backwards in yer tube mod?:rolleyes:
Can you build at .03 ohms?
Do ya really need a box for batts in ya pocket??
Will this new battery fit in my mouth?

These questions can only be answered through exhaustive and replete testing.
tenor.gif

What could possibly go wrong? :bomb:...I'm sure it'll be fine, hold my beer.
Nobody ever accomplished anything worthwhile without RISK! :xD:
Risk also has the added side benefit of refreshing the gene pool and reducing over-population...

So I say drive fast kids, take chances! :bliss:

Or you could do it the 'boring ol' safe way' and perhaps then
never truly know the ballistic and combustive splendor of a 4 volt battery... :cool:

The only problem is that the ANTZ are looking for every possible reason to show vaping in a bad light; they won't show all the responsible people with battery boxes who check their resistance with every new coil, oh no they look for the braintrusts carrying loose batteries in their pockets with keys and coins, for the next Vaping is Evil headline. :facepalm:

Andria

DDarko

Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It's a balancing game, for MTL I like a 50/50 blend but when doing DTL 70-80 VG is the sweet spot. I've trided 90+ VG and it sucks balls, bland flavorless. But high PG I'll hack up a lung.
Unrelated to mechs but you clearly haven't tried the Vape Kitchen who use 100% VG and they have some of the most flavorful and accurate juice I've ever had. They're really quite remarkable, check em out if u can. I'd def call them one of the best gourmet eliquid vendors in the game. Look at the reviews of Perfect Pear or Thai Mango Reserve on Juice DB, nearly all 5 stars. I guess it helps that their mixologist is an actual chef and that they don't use artificial flavors, everything is naturally extracted from the source. Sorry for gushing lol, just got an order from them that was amazing.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Unrelated to mechs but you clearly haven't tried the Vape Kitchen who use 100% VG and they have some of the most flavorful and accurate juice I've ever had. They're really quite remarkable, check em out if u can. I'd def call them one of the best gourmet eliquid vendors in the game. Look at the reviews of Perfect Pear or Thai Mango Reserve on Juice DB, nearly all 5 stars. I guess it helps that their mixologist is an actual chef and that they don't use artificial flavors, everything is naturally extracted from the source. Sorry for gushing lol, just got an order from them that was amazing.

Taste is subjective to the individual and even that is influenced greatly by the gear that is being vaped

Glad you have something you enjoy but it is not going to work for everyone, no matter how much you like it or tout the quality

Speaking for myself, would not be able to sink as much as I have into top shelf gear if I was spending it all on expensive consumables like commercial juice

Also, everything is not "extracted from the source" according to their own website:

"Although some of our VG based flavors are directly infused, we do also utilize flavor extracts containing PG."

"Please be aware that some of the flavorings we use are also the same ones used by food and beverage companies found in your local supermarket."

Last edited:

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I've tried a number of High VG 90+% up to 100% VG with various high end juices and even my own mix's, as I stated it sucks Balls. But if you like it excellent.

Taste is subjective to the individual and even that is influenced greatly by the gear that is being vaped

Glad you have something you enjoy but it is not going to work for everyone, no matter how much you like it or tout the quality

If I'm not mistaken - Rosco is strictly a DIY guy - many of us are

Speaking for myself, would not be able to sink as much as I have into top shelf gear if I was spending it all on expensive consumables like commercial juice

Also, everything is not "extracted from the source" according to their own website:

"Although some of our VG based flavors are directly infused, we do also utilize flavor extracts containing PG."

"Please be aware that some of the flavorings we use are also the same ones used by food and beverage companies found in your local supermarket."

Yep, but I'm not strictly DiY, I jump around a lot.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I've tried a number of High VG 90+% up to 100% VG with various high end juices and even my own mix's, as I stated it sucks Balls. But if you like it excellent.

Yep, but I'm not strictly DiY, I jump around a lot.

Corrected, lol

I love max VG, but can't vape it regularly or I start hawking VG loogies

VU Sponsors