Become a Patron!

whole mod getting hot

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm kinda new to rda's but learn pretty quickly. The local vape shop originally built the mod for me at .2ohms. The last few days, even staying at .2, it's heating up on me. It wasn't doing this before. No shorts, no ground outs, no excess wire, etc.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Mod - kecig k100+
Atty - infinite clt
Efest 18650 2500mah purple

Thanks in advance for the help

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Whilst there may be no short in the atty, it is possible that there may be a short between the atty and the bottom button.....or you may have a dodgy battery. Troubleshoot these things.

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I didnt see any shorts anywhere, both batteries I have still look like they are brand new and charge normally. The center post and button insulators all look good too.

I just don't get it. Nothing is touching the battery that shouldn't be, and everything is spotless and clean

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
The atomiser is not at fault....but there could be a wee breach in the insulator(s) somewhere in the mod. If both batteries behave the same, then they are also not to blame other than I have no experience with the purple Efest.

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
What should I look for? This whole setup is only 3 weeks old

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Completely break down and clean every conceivable part. Remember, new does not mean perfectly operational. I think there is something where it should not be, that cleaning will address.

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I just cleaned everything earlier tonight and still nothing. The shop that sold it to me said they couldn't figure it out either. I'm stumped

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I would have them replace it. Any time a mod gets noticeably warm, that is not a good thing.....for you, or your batteries.

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the help. Much appreciated

Warhawk-AVG

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Do you have a multimeter to check the resistance yourself?

If they built it and checked it there then you tweaked it afterwards, you could have shorted something...

Get a multimeter...check it yourself

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
And just for information sake....under continuous discharge...those "purpies" are only 20a, not 35a as advertised.....so you will need to adjust your math regarding volts/ohms/watts thresholds.

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea I used am ohm reader. They checked the coils for shorts yesterday and nothing

Do you think that could be causing my heat issue? I know extra stress on a lipo battery will cause heat. And .2 is pretty low for a 20a from what I've read

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Try a higher res build.....like .5
The Efest is an IMR maganese chemistry, not lithium polymer (this is based on THEIR claims....if you remove the purple wrapper, it will either be a Sony or an LG)

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
So ditch the dual parallels I just did an hour ago? Dammit! Lol

Ill give it a shot and report back

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I speak for all of VU when I say, it is better to do it over, than for you to get injured!

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Very true. I'm just bitching because I kept going under .2 tonight. I made 4 sets lol

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Just rolled up some .5ohm coils. Still getting hot just the same... I don't get it lol

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Take it back.

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
It's there a certain position I should have the atomizer on the mod? It's a telescoping mod, and the bottom of the atty sits flush if I tighten it down before the battery, but if I put the battery in first then the atty it sits noticeably higher off the mod

Dumb question but something I just noticed

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Umm, if your kecig k100+ is anything like my old K-100, it has STEEL and/or chrome plated brass posts and simply cannot transfer the current at the sort of build you are doing. So, it gets hot.

That shop should be ashamed of themselves giving a newbie a time bomb. The K-100 is a fine mech, but it is NOT designed for sub-ohm stuff at all. It's intended for clearos and such.

Here's mine with an IGO-L RDA:

cy5zEcgl.jpg

I build mine as low as maybe 0.8, but that is pushing it.
Normal builds that I have on there are over 1 ohm.

Build a coil at say 1.0-1.4 ohms and see what happens...I bet it won't get hot.

Last edited:

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Basically identical to that... So I guess that's the issue then. That's kind of messed up

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Basically identical to that... So I guess that's the issue then. That's kind of messed up

Yeah, but it isn't your fault. They should've known better.

I know the fad now is super-sub-ohm on everything, but not everything can handle it. ;)

It's still a perfectly good mech mod, just not at that low of a resistance. It just can't handle the current.

Lots of good and cheap mechs out there that can do it though, so don't get discouraged. :)

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Ill redo it again now. Thank you very much for the help. Atleast now I actually know what the issue is. This sucks because I won't have the money till next Thursday to buy a new mod

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ill redo it again now. Thank you very much for the help. Atleast now I actually know what the issue is. This sucks because I won't have the money till next Thursday to buy a new mod

You're very welcome mate...just want ya to be safe first and foremost.

I'm not a sub-ohm guy, but for that there are MANY people on here such as Franciscan and others who can guide ya.

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Thank you too both of you for all the advice. Super helpful!

Ill use this for now and hopefully get the vapor that I need. That's what helped me quit smoking. I need it haha

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I'm at 1.2ohms now and I had to take aboutt ten long drags off it before it got a little warm. I think that did it! Just wanted to say thanks again. You probably saved my ass from getting burned

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thank you too both of you for all the advice. Super helpful!

Ill use this for now and hopefully get the vapor that I need. That's what helped me quit smoking. I need it haha

Sure thing, and that is the real goal, staying off the stinkies. :)

It may not blow the huge clouds, but you CAN build a perfectly good setup using that gear.
Higher VG ratios will give ya more clouds too, but with a more muted flavor than with higher PG because PG carries flavor better.

*edit*
I said lower when I meant higher VG..derp...

Last edited:

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm at 1.2ohms now and I had to take aboutt ten long drags off it before it got a little warm. I think that did it! Just wanted to say thanks again. You probably saved my ass from getting burned

Awesome man, I'm happy it's working and very glad I happened by your post.. :)

meNBJp7m.jpg

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
My 2 goto juices are 90/10 vg, so ill be good for a little bit. I've been off stinkies for 3 weeks, I really don't wanna mess that up.

And now the juices that were too strong will hopefully be halfway decent tasting haha

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Edited earlier post...
I said lower when I meant higher VG..derp...

VG = vapor and thickness, plus sweeter
PG = throat "hit" and stronger flavors. Some folks are allergic to PG though, so if ya get rashes or anything, lower the PG.

Me, I vape around 20/80 PG/VG ratio. (20% PG, 80% VG)

knuckles508

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Yea I've been using 90%vg juice since I started dripping. I just wrote that wrong lol.

I'm still at 1.2ohms, not getting warm at all. But man am I hating how much less vapor there is. I got way too used to it

Ill just have to deal with it till I can get a proper mod

CaFF

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yea I've been using 90%vg juice since I started dripping. I just wrote that wrong lol.

I'm still at 1.2ohms, not getting warm at all. But man am I hating how much less vapor there is. I got way too used to it

Ill just have to deal with it till I can get a proper mod

It will go a bit lower, but just not as low as 0.2 ;-)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm kinda new to rda's but learn pretty quickly. The local vape shop originally built the mod for me at .2ohms. The last few days, even staying at .2, it's heating up on me. It wasn't doing this before. No shorts, no ground outs, no excess wire, etc.

Is this normal? Should I be worried?

Mod - kecig k100+
Atty - infinite clt
Efest 18650 2500mah purple

Thanks in advance for the help
I see you checked everything else so I ask what the cont amp rating on your 18650 battery is..ohms law states your .2 ohm build pulls 21amps at 4.2 v.. So I would use a batt rated at least 30A cont/50A pulse that would safely support that .2 ohm build without your mod getting hot..
I don't use18650 batts anymore in my mech mods and made the move to the bigger higher amp 26650 batt that supports my low .15 ohm builds safely for this very reason..anyway I hope you figure it out, and stay safe.

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I see you checked everything else so I ask what the cont amp rating on your 18650 battery is..ohms law states your .2 ohm build pulls 21amps at 4.2 v.. So I would use a batt rated at least 30A cont/50A pulse that would safely support that .2 ohm build without your mod getting hot..
I don't use18650 batts anymore in my mech mods and made the move to the bigger higher amp 26650 batt that supports my low .15 ohm builds safely for this very reason..anyway I hope you figure it out, and stay safe.

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk
The problem was discovered, addressed, and resolved. Good points however!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VU Sponsors