Become a Patron!

Who vapes a mech and tank? Need some recommendations/help.

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm just trying to get an opinion on people's experiences with a mech mod and a tank. You see a lot more people using regulated devices with tanks and I wanted to know how much of a difference it is. What are you could built at when using a mech? I want to get an abaddon and the subtank mini. If you'd recommend getting a regulated device instead I'll probably just get the subox kit and just get the abaddon with like a velocity or a mutation rda.

Discobob

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I personally have never liked vaping with a mech/tank combo, it just doesn't do a good tank justice. I would recommend tanks for the regulated and drippers for the mechs. That is just me though, I like having the low wattage on the sub tank for flavor and I can kick it up if I'm needing a change:)

OBDave

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Maybe you'd have luck with a RBA head and a mech, but I find factory coils like a regulated power output more than the gradual decline in battery strength a mech provides.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Maybe you'd have luck with a RBA head and a mech, but I find factory coils like a regulated power output more than the gradual decline in battery strength a mech provides.

fat fingered flubs courtesy dumb mobile phone
Yeah I'd be using the rba head from the subtank mini.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ive used a bunch of standard tanks on a mech mod....Just use a mech mod that isnt a hybrid and you can use any tank you want with it

You just need to choose your ohms accordingly so the vape isnt too hot with a fresh battery and, you should be good to go...you should see around 3.8 volts to the coil(s) with a fresh battery..so a .5 ohm coil will be around 30 watts to the tank.

A mchanical mod will give you a strong vape at first but as the battery voltage drops the vape deteriorates so to speak..Meaning it might be good at first and it gets weaker and weaker as you vape.

A regulated will maintain the vape you enjoy untill the batteries voltage reaches a level of not being enough and, the mod says low battery and wont fire anymore...They are better for a consistent vape for a longer period of time..Also much less safety to worry about as a regulated has that built in.

Last edited:

Accuphased

Member For 4 Years
I use all my tanks (and drippers) on hybrid mechs.
You just have to tailor the coils for mech usage and use proper batteries. Good batteries (e.g. Samsung) will give you a pretty consistent vape over a long period of the battery life. My builds vary between 0.4 and 0.7 Ohm, depending on the tank and coil material.

I'm actually vaping on a Subtank Mini and SMPL as I'm typing this (I had to modify the Subtank Mini 510, though, It was too recessed stock).
I''m using the RBA+ with a 2.5mm single 0.5 Ohm N80 coil.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You just have to tailor the coils for mech usage and use proper batteries. Good batteries (e.g. Samsung) will give you a pretty consistent vape over a long period of the battery life. My builds vary between 0.4 and 0.7 Ohm, depending on the tank and coil material.

I'm actually vaping on a Subtank Mini and SMPL as I'm typing this (I had to modify the Subtank Mini 510, though, It was too recessd stock). I''m using the RBA+ with a 2.5mm single 0.5 Ohm N80 coil.
I've been using the Arctic seen here on the BFM ..
eaffb99e4fa31af8013eb50de25c8afa.jpg

The .2 ohm coil at 4.2 (about 60-65w or so) vapes great.. with the 3500 mAh 26650 batt voltage takes a day or two to drop enough I notice its time to swap it out.. Usually after 3-5 refills, depending how often I hit it.. I don't use it often these days and keep it around only for back up to my VW mods.

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
If you want to use a hybrid mech mod, you should watch the following video, for your own safety.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
If you want to use a hybrid mech mod, you should watch the following video, for your own safety.
b478d26eb588a614ab6ca1c5b1ce06c9.jpg
I know about the dangers not using a protruding pin on my hybrid caps.. I mean that is old news to me..
That said I had to modify the pin on the Arctic to protrude about 2mm seen here.. Saftey and common sence goes a long way...

Neunerball

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
b478d26eb588a614ab6ca1c5b1ce06c9.jpg
I know about the dangers not using a protruding pin on my hybrid caps.. I mean that is old news to me..
That said I had to modify the pin on the Arctic to protrude about 2mm seen here.. Saftey and common sence goes a long way...

That post is intended for newbies.

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I'm not a big fan of hybrids. I understand the whole less voltage drop because the pin connects directly to the battery. I just, I don't know lol.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I'm not a big fan of hybrids. I understand the whole less voltage drop because the pin connects directly to the battery. I just, I don't know lol.
Its 100 percent safe as long as you use the proper tank or RDA...Most all safety issues are from lack of knowledge and some taking risks they shouldnt..This will limit choices on what tanks or rda's you can use but im sure there is something you can find, you like if you went that route..If you do, i highly recommend the Copper SMPL mod.

I was wondering to I have a smok copper vanilla mod and I have a freak show rda guess where I'm new to the rda and mods I'm just not feeling the rda. Where I work and am expecting a baby anytime now I don't have time to build the coils, cotton, etc, rather fill a good tank and vape honestly trying to trade my setup for the subox mini setup all black or white one but is there a tank preferably an arctic or Kanger sub ohm mini tanks that I can use with my smok vanilla copper mod? Thanks guys!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I was wondering to I have a smok copper vanilla mod and I have a freak show rda guess where I'm new to the rda and mods I'm just not feeling the rda. Where I work and am expecting a baby anytime now I don't have time to build the coils, cotton, etc, rather fill a good tank and vape honestly trying to trade my setup for the subox mini setup all black or white one but is there a tank preferably an arctic or Kanger sub ohm mini tanks that I can use with my smok vanilla copper mod? Thanks guys!

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Uhm if you're looking for tanks that you don't have to build coils for the uwell crown tank, the subtank mini, and tfv4 are supposedly good subohm tanks. How they preform on a mech I do not know.

dbkma

Member For 4 Years
I had a kecig k100+ with and article tank .5ohm 30-80w coil it did good

Sent from my BLU LIFE PLAY MINI using Tapatalk

I use an aspire atlantis with my Hades 26650. Works well, just need to keep fresh batteries ready. . I am in search of a nice temp control device.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Tapatalk

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I see a lot of people using orchids with mechs. I actually have a nemesis mech and I ordered an orchid v2 clone for it, should be here Monday.

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hello Folks...I have a new Mod!...A Dos Equis Clone....With two new LG HG2 batteries...I am impressed!...I have been using a Kanger STM with all the coils ,1.2,.5 and the RTA at .7 I checked the center pin and just to be on the safe side,I pulled the pin out a little and ran a few turns of dental floss around it,then pushed it back in so it now sticks out about a mm and a half.....Hits great!....Z

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I personally have never liked vaping with a mech/tank combo, it just doesn't do a good tank justice. I would recommend tanks for the regulated and drippers for the mechs. That is just me though, I like having the low wattage on the sub tank for flavor and I can kick it up if I'm needing a change:)
With a mech, you tune the coil to the device, incl. batt.; with a programmable, you tune the device to the coil. Matter of choice, expediency.

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
With a mech, you tune the coil to the device, incl. batt.; with a programmable, you tune the device to the coil. Matter of choice, expediency.
I'm getting both its all good. I'm just going to mess with it. I should be getting it like end of the week, next weekish. So its all good. Thanks.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I see a lot of people using orchids with mechs. I actually have a nemesis mech and I ordered an orchid v2 clone for it, should be here Monday.
It took me a bit to figure out how to properly fill and prime the Orchid tank, but I happen to think it works great. What I do is cover both air holes and the drip tip while bottom filling, then replace the fill screw while still covering all holes, then I flip and still keep the holes covered a few more seconds. Then I prime it. It always leaks a little when priming, I just grab a couple pieces of toilet paper before filling and stuff a little in the air holes right after priming and clear as much of the leak as I can, then I immediately throw it on my rig and vape on it till it completely stops. I always keep the tank upright when I'm not using it. It's a great little tank, $7 for the clone on eBay so I'm definitely not complaining.

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
It took me a bit to figure out how to properly fill and prime the Orchid tank, but I happen to think it works great. What I do is cover both air holes and the drip tip while bottom filling, then replace the fill screw while still covering all holes, then I flip and still keep the holes covered a few more seconds. Then I prime it. It always leaks a little when priming, I just grab a couple pieces of toilet paper before filling and stuff a little in the air holes right after priming and clear as much of the leak as I can, then I immediately throw it on my rig and vape on it till it completely stops. I always keep the tank upright when I'm not using it. It's a great little tank, $7 for the clone on eBay so I'm definitely not complaining.
I'm getting the vtc mini and 2 subtank minis(one black one white. not clones, clones have shitty paint on them) and I have a haze dripper tank I won from RiP Trippers and I am going to get an abbadon clone. Nothing wrong with clones but for most of the stuff I am getting I don't want clones. I may get a velocity clone because I really like the posts on it and I mean it's like 10 bucks so why not.

Bean8379

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
The only complaint I have about the Ov2 clone is that the tank is plastic, which means it will probably crack eventually. When it does or before then if I have the money, I'll order replacement pyrex for it. Other than that I really can't beat $7 shipped for a decent tank.

PaulS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I would not put any tank on a hybrid. I've had a bad experience when I tried to be careful. Play safe. If you want to use a tank use a mech with a 510. Dual 18650 mech should have a tank with a really good coil. .25 -.3 ohm. I have seen crowns and TVF4s on mechs vaping fine. If you are using an RTA you might find the wattage a bit high for some builds - I personally do like vaping my Bellus on my dual 18650s - I have a few. I stick with my RDAs because I often enough burn the cotton and I like to rewick a lot. Rewicking a tank is simply more work for me.

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Eleaf I just 2.....I just bought two I just 2 mod,It comes with a tank,w/.3 ohm coil ,its 2600 mAh built in battery,USB charge and it hits better than My Subtank mini kit its a low price at most shops,cheaper online

xblackwhitex

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Eleaf I just 2.....I just bought two I just 2 mod,It comes with a tank,w/.3 ohm coil ,its 2600 mAh built in battery,USB charge and it hits better than My Subtank mini kit its a low price at most shops,cheaper online
I don't like that I can't change the battery on the ijust 2 and I don't like the silicon air control ring on it.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

z man

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I also got a Smok Gravity mod,but it wont sub ohm,it has a removable 18650 ,but max is 15 watts....It might be a good MTL hitter with a sub mini and a 1.2 coil....I don't use the a/c ring,just full open ....Z

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm vaping tanks on mech devices. Simplicity's sake...lack of having to drip, every few hoarks.. learn to tune the coil of the tank, to the device, and batts.

A. Nuss Braun

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I'm actually vaping on a Subtank Mini and SMPL as I'm typing this (I had to modify the Subtank Mini 510, though, It was too recessed stock).
I''m using the RBA+ with a 2.5mm single 0.5 Ohm N80 coil.
My kinda people...

VU Sponsors