Become a Patron!

Who has or knows about aquariums or fishbowls ?

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
I have a 7"dia x 22" cir x 15" tall vase I want to turn into a no filter aquarium, or fish bowl, with plants that it would need. Freshwater I presume. Could start it as an aquascape and add fish later?
Any advice on bottom layers, plants, and fish would be very helpful.

Thanks

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I used to have the kind of tall vase you’re talking About with a plant put on the top of the opening. There’s a certain plant you can buy. I can’t remember what it was called. We had Tetra fish. Only one in a bowl or they will fight eachother. You can buy aquarium rocks. I do remember you have to clean weekly & use room temperature water that you dispense from the faucet but let sit in a container for a day or 2 or 3. If you used water straight out of the tap the fish would die. There is a water treatment you can use so that the pH of the water is good for the fish.

Best advice I can give is going somewhere like Petsmart to ask for advice as my memory of it all is sketchy lol!

Good luck, the setup does look really nice on a coffee table.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
Oh!, a plant that kinda covers the top? Perfect. Great idea. Maybe a floating one. I was wondering about the open top and the evaporation here in the year round dry climate.

I did a little reading about no filter fish yesterday. Tetra was there, they are hearty in that type environment, right? And colorful.
I do want colorful, prob not any ghost looking ones. I like this Cloud Mountain Minnow, but they get big, 1.5in, so bowl size matters, like w/most I'm finding. And something that schools in there.
1688310135884.png

Our tap water is really hard here so filtered for most everything.

yes, thinking pebble bottom, but then theres shapes, sizes and colors, uhg...lol
and a couple rocks, wood w/branches

And the plants, dont really want to become a horticulturist in the process lolll.
Moss, grass, a bush-like, and a couple diff tall to the top,,..I think. Its a quandary, and my least knowledgeable.

By measuring w/a tape, it holds about 2.5 gallons
1688310353740.png

Last edited:

Frogger

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
There are better algae eaters or clean up fish, or others i should say
More common, can have many in a tank

Here r some

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Oh!, a plant that kinda covers the top? Perfect. Great idea. Maybe a floating one. I was wondering about the open top and the evaporation here in the year round dry climate.

I did a little reading about no filter fish yesterday. Tetra was there, they are hearty in that type environment, right? And colorful.
I do want colorful, prob not any ghost looking ones. I like this Cloud Mountain Minnow, but they get big, 1.5in, so bowl size matters, like w/most I'm finding. And something that schools in there.
View attachment 206058

yes, thinking pebble bottom, but then theres shapes, sizes and colors, uhg...lol

And the plants, dont really want to become a horticulturist in the process lolll.
Moss, grass, a bush-like, and a couple diff tall to the top,,..I think. Its a quandary, and my least knowledgeable.

By measuring w/a tape, it holds about 2.5 gallons
View attachment 206059
Yes the plant will sit on the top of your container (you can use a plastic plant saucer & poke holes for air) or they sell them & the roots of the plants dangle into the water. Your vase looks pretty much like the one I bought for the specific purpose of plant on top & fish in the bottom. There’s a specific plant for that. I just can’t remember the name of the plant for the life of me. It’s been years since I’ve done it in my defense lol! Which is why I suggested going to a fish store they would know all the ins & outs when you explain what you want to accomplish.

Even with your filtered water I would suggest pouring into empty gallon water bottles (capped) & letting the water sit for 1-3 days before cleaning out your fish bowl (vase). Also I remember now, always keep some of the old water then add the bottled water. If you pour out all of the water & add all new water the fish ends up dying. Mine did at least.

I suggested the tetra because they are very colorful & don’t mind the small circumference of the tall vase. They don’t mind swimming in circles lol! Yes they are known to be more hearty. I’m not sure about the needs of other fish. Off to the aquarium shop you go lol! They usually very knowledgeable about the fish they sell especially if you have a mom & pop store in your area.

But even Tetra’s need the care of the right pH of the water. Like I said there are drops to neutralize the water too if Tetra #1 doesn’t survive the filtered water poured into empty gallon water bottles & sitting for 1-3 days.

As far as decorating I would suggest small pebbles in whatever color you chose. You would need to be careful with the wood/branches you use. Since it’s a vase shape & taller rather than wider I think with the colored pebbles (aquarium pebbles) & the plant on top it’s quite pretty.

Hope this helps & gives you some ideas!

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
It does, those dangely roots may also provide hiding places they might like.
I've watched a couple yt and I see them removing about 1/2 the water so as to keep the right/needed bacteria in there, then topping it of w/new...def more research on water, and prob get 1 fish for a while when its time, decide on fish before getting 1 of the less hardy ones and see if they make it.

Vape Fan

_evil twin_
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Press Corps
Member For 5 Years
There are better algae eaters or clean up fish, or others i should say
More common, can have many in a tank

Here r some
Ill see what there is for bowls

Bliss Doubt

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

View attachment 206058

That's a beautiful vase.

I remember using something that sits behind the aquarium, with a tube that goes into the water and makes it bubble gently. It somehow aerates it. I had bunches of little tiny fish in mine, as a kid. You don't want to have just one fish, so it won't get lonely. When you bring home your fishes you put their pet store bag in the water, unopened, so the temperatures can level between their transport water and their new home water. After there's time for the temperatures to equal, you can cut open their transport bag.

These are just things I'm remembering. I hope they help you. I agree with heartsdelight about asking for advice where you buy the fish and supplies.

Heartsdelight

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 5 Years
That's a beautiful vase.

I remember using something that sits behind the aquarium, with a tube that goes into the water and makes it bubble gently. It somehow aerates it. I had bunches of little tiny fish in mine, as a kid. You don't want to have just one fish, so it won't get lonely. When you bring home your fishes you put their pet store bag in the water, unopened, so the temperatures can level between their transport water and their new home water. After there's time for the temperatures to equal, you can cut open their transport bag.

These are just things I'm remembering. I hope they help you. I agree with heartsdelight about asking for advice where you buy the fish and supplies.
I remember my dad using your advice on putting the fish in their transport bag in the ”aquarium”…..
but in this case @Vape Fan is using the vase pictured above.

Fishies needs are different depending on what you’re using, a bowl, an aquarium & their breed etc.

VU Sponsors