Become a Patron!

When to Re Coil and when to Re Wick

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Okay so this question has probably been covered a million times already however, most posts I’ve read cover the main points such as bad taste, gurgling, leaking etc and not many seem to mention what to look out for to identify whether the coil actually needs replacing or whether just wicking will suffice.
Most of the time when I get a bad taste I have found that just wicking again fixes the problem and I automatically just wind a new coil every 2-3 weeks anyway but when can you tell that your coil really is knackered and the source of the problem making rewicking it a waste of time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Okay so this question has probably been covered a million times already however, most posts I’ve read cover the main points such as bad taste, gurgling, leaking etc and not many seem to mention what to look out for to identify whether the coil actually needs replacing or whether just wicking will suffice.
Most of the time when I get a bad taste I have found that just wicking again fixes the problem and I automatically just wind a new coil every 2-3 weeks anyway but when can you tell that your coil really is knackered and the source of the problem making rewicking it a waste of time?

For me, it's when doing a re-wick/dry-burn provides a clean-looking vape -- the wick, and the juice itself after backwashing off the coil and wick -- for only a day or two, rather than however long it normally stays clean-looking -- in my case, with super-gunking juice, I can get by with doing a dry-burn/re-wick about once a week, or maybe every 5 days. After I've dry-burned and re-wicked about 3 times, I usually hit this point, where instead of looking clean for 5-7 days, it starts looking dirty after just a day or two. And sometimes you may get a metallic taste -- that's a dead giveaway that the coil needs replacing ASAP.

Or, there is little or no taste at all -- another dead giveaway, but it's a little more subtle, and sometimes might be because of "vaper's tongue" -- many things can lead to that condition, but the primary cause is simply recent smoking cessation -- it can occur in short or long bouts for a year or two after quitting, though it mostly seems to resolve after about a year being smoke-free.

Andria

32bitlord

TPD Compliant
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Thanks for the reply Andria. What do you mean when you refer to “backwashing”?

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
yeah what she said.
i use 6 tanks and only use the one same flavor in a tank
so my fruity vapes need rewicked like every 3 weeks or so
my desert/bakery ones need rewicked every 10-14 days
so if i rewick and then its not tasting right much sooner then normal i recoil
its more of an art then a science

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Depends. ... I have a kayfun... get used 2 or 3 days a month hasn't been re wicked or coiled in over a year.
My builds I run in my Avocado or Nectar get re wicked every 2 to 3 days.... if not sooner.

Never had a coil wear out.... trying with the KFL though....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

VapinMoody

Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Rewick when it tastes bad, rebuild when the coil breaks.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

This...

I have been using coils I build now for over 5 months...dry burn and rinse under hot water several times...re-wick and good to go.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the reply Andria. What do you mean when you refer to “backwashing”?

Well, the juice travels up the wicks to the coil, either by capillary action, or by the suction of your draw, or both. Then, after the hit, some of that liquid goes back into the tank or well. A Kayfun shows this very clearly; when there is gunk backwashing off the coil, around the bottom of the tank you'll see a dark line (if you use the tall plastic tank sections instead of the stainless ring-plastic tank ring-stainless ring). In an RDA, it just turns the juice in the well darker, until it's nearly brown (though it started off light yellow).

Andria

Brad Mitchell

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I must add that I personally change the coils when they don't clean up well. Meaning they are still kind of colored if that makes sense. Granted I don't worry about it but once I see it looking old I'll eventually will change them.

whiteowl84

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I must add that I personally change the coils when they don't clean up well. Meaning they are still kind of colored if that makes sense. Granted I don't worry about it but once I see it looking old I'll eventually will change them.
They gradually get more and more pitted but you can obviously always rebuild when you want.

Sent from my E5306 using Tapatalk

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I usually rewick every 2-3 days and rebuild every week or so, though I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my wicks just because I don't like the look of dirty cotton. It's absolutely disgusting to me to think I'm vaping all that crap that collects on the wick along with my juice. However, I've heard of rebuilt coils lasting a month or more. A friend of mine who participates in competitions stretches his rebuilding cycle to around 3 weeks and rewicks almost as often as I do. Plus I sometimes smoke that Betty juice from Pinup Vapors, which has been known to chew through coils faster than other juices because of the sweetener they use. That's one heck of a good juice though.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I usually rewick every 2-3 days and rebuild every week or so, though I'm a bit OCD when it comes to my wicks just because I don't like the look of dirty cotton. It's absolutely disgusting to me to think I'm vaping all that crap that collects on the wick along with my juice. However, I've heard of rebuilt coils lasting a month or more. A friend of mine who participates in competitions stretches his rebuilding cycle to around 3 weeks and rewicks almost as often as I do. Plus I sometimes smoke that Betty juice from Pinup Vapors, which has been known to chew through coils faster than other juices because of the sweetener they use. That's one heck of a good juice though.

I hope you're vaping that juice, not smoking it; smoking is what we're all trying to avoid, after all. ;)

When I first started building coils, I didn't yet make this super-gunk-monster juice, and my coils regularly lasted about 3 months -- I didn't have to dry-burn them so often, so they didn't get so much wear and tear. Now it's probably monthly-ish even with my super-gunk-monster, but the dry-burns/re-wicks are necessary at least twice a week.

Andria

champton

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
LOL! Yeah I'm definitely vaping it. ;)

I never smoked actually. I'm just doing this as a hobby. I love tinkering with things. Plus I'm looking to work at the local vape store, but my friend says I need more experience. Best way to get it is to vape yourself.

My mom is actually the one that used vaping to get off cigarettes. She hasn't smoked in 3 years, which I'm quite proud of.

Last edited:

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
LOL! Yeah I'm definitely vaping it. ;)

I never smoked actually. I'm just doing this as a hobby. I love tinkering with things. Plus I'm looking to work at the local vape store, but my friend says I need more experience. Best way to get it is to vape yourself. My mom is actually the one that used vaping to get off cigarettes. She hasn't smoked in 3 years, which I'm quite proud of.

I'm almost at 3 yrs smoke-free -- 19 more days! :) I'm currently getting my son converted. He smoked for a few years, then quit for quite a long time, but some recent stress caused him to start back -- so now I'm getting him into vaping instead, and he is LOVING it; he says he doesn't even think of smoking, by vaping all the time. I was vaping pretty much continuously from wake to snooze when I first started, so I know that's a good way to stave off those thoughts of smoking. He said he was willing to try it, because anything that could get a 39-yr smoker to quit and stay that way, had to be really effective. :)

Andria

VU Sponsors