Become a Patron!

When Mods Sit

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
I have two Mods now. Why? I figured having a second Mod would give me the flexibility of having different “juices” available, without having to empty a bowl to swap.

In theory, not a bad idea, given all the choices for blends out there, in terms of flavor and ratios.

So yesterday, When I went to work, I had one of the two Mods with me all day, and it wasn’t until this morning, that I decided to use the OTHER Mod.

I started up this “other” Mod moments ago, to enjoy a morning cup of coffee and Vape, and when I pressed the trigger, the coils popped like a firecracker! After about three trigger depressions, it stopped popping.

The other thing I noticed, was that my throat would not tolerate the 1.6 seconds or so of hit, without coughing (I have a 50/50 blend in there).

So help me out here.....

Why did my Mod “pop” so dramatically?
Why was my throat response so resistant?

I’ve Vaped with this Mod before, with this liquid, with no issues. What’s going on? The Coil is only a couple of days old.

Should I NOT let a Mod sit for a day with liquid in it?

Help!!

I’ve been tobacco free, and Vaping, since August 25th of this year.

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
I’m going to assume it’s a sub-ohm tank just based off the comment the coil is only a few days old (correct me if I’m wrong).
That being the case my second guess is slight over saturation. Which you can get rid of by blowing through the atomizer before you take a draw if it’s been sitting around awhile. You can do that with the fire button depressed or not. If not I suggest holding it horizontal with a paper towel under the air flow to catch the escaping liquid. If it’s an mtl tank the same probably works I’ve never had that happen on an mtl tank.

Please keep in mind this is based off a fair number of assumptions on my part so I may be completely wrong. But popping on the first couple hits is almost always flooding of some sort.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Is that a good thing? Is that a bad thing? Is that typical?
Just a preference. Sub ohming is a warmer vape, stronger flavor and nicotine delivery. I prefer it actually, the coils I'm running in the Fire Luke right now read .26.
And yes, leaving juice to sit in a tank will cause some popping and cracking, but it'll go away after a draw or two.

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
All I can tell you is, that the on screen information on my Smok Mag 225 states, that the current coil is producing .43___ Ohms.

The only additional thing I can tell you about choosing coils, Is that I bought some replacement coils for both of my Mods, and since I like to keep my Watts around 60, I was looking for coils that accommodated that Wattage. I was quite surprised to see that there was a variety of coils out there with a variety of ranges of Wattage capability.

The amount of Ohms that a coiled produces, seemed irrelevant to me, only from the point of view that I can’t change the amount of Ohms anyway.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
That's sub ohm.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
You generally need higher wattage for lower ohms to get the desired flavor. Higher wattage will reduce your popping and cracking as well.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It is an "acquired taste," sub ohm isn't for everybody. It kinda grew on me...lol! But like many others, I started out on eGo batteries and clearomizers, which often has one vaping at 2+ ohms. Then I got into low wattage with box mods and tanks - at one time, I thought I was getting really brave in vaping at 30 watts. :teehee: ..Some folks never get any higher than that, and that's fine, there is no "right wattage" at which to vape. It's a matter of taste and preference, I just happen to prefer the heat of low ohms and high wattage ( ohms at .25 or under, wattage in a pretty broad range of 82-100w or so), but we have several here who prefer higher ohms and wattages as low as 10. You'll zero in on your "sweet spot" as well. It just involves trying out different things to one day say "Ahhh, that's it..."

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Welcome @Soupy1957 and I hope you enjoy your stay~!

When a tank sits full for a while some have a tendency to flood which will produce a very wet vape which is why it popped and probably was spitting. In my experience this is rough on my throat and will make me choke. To correct it I wrap a paper towel or napkin around the air holes and blow into to it to clear it out. Good Luck

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I have two Mods now. Why? I figured having a second Mod would give me the flexibility of having different “juices” available, without having to empty a bowl to swap.

In theory, not a bad idea, given all the choices for blends out there, in terms of flavor and ratios.

So yesterday, When I went to work, I had one of the two Mods with me all day, and it wasn’t until this morning, that I decided to use the OTHER Mod.

I started up this “other” Mod moments ago, to enjoy a morning cup of coffee and Vape, and when I pressed the trigger, the coils popped like a firecracker! After about three trigger depressions, it stopped popping.

The other thing I noticed, was that my throat would not tolerate the 1.6 seconds or so of hit, without coughing (I have a 50/50 blend in there).

So help me out here.....

Why did my Mod “pop” so dramatically?
Why was my throat response so resistant?

I’ve Vaped with this Mod before, with this liquid, with no issues. What’s going on? The Coil is only a couple of days old.

Should I NOT let a Mod sit for a day with liquid in it?

Help!!

I’ve been tobacco free, and Vaping, since August 25th of this year.
ONLY TWO????? :eek: LOL... you'll find most folks in the community have 5,10,50. Very very common to have multiples. Our method is to have a backup, for your backup, for your backup. :D

The crackling after sitting is completely normal. It's the concentration of liquid on the coil. Once the coil is fired a few times it burns off and stops.

As far as the throat hit? If you are using a higher VG content in the other mod and then go back to 50/50 you are gonna notice the PG at first. Higher VG makes the vape much smoother and less irritating. You could also be sensitive to PG, a lot of folks are. If you are coughing with the high PG and not high VG, I would stick to the higher VG. Plus, at subohm and 60 watts you SHOULD be using a higher VG anyways.

Soupy1957

Member For 1 Year
I can understand having different mods, or at least different actuators or whatever they’re called, because of all the different flavors that are out there, and not wanting to waste any that are already in the dispenser.

Thus the reason I bought my second one this past Friday. I’m not interested in the ones that look like giant cigars or little tiny rectangular boxes. I like the ones I have.

So far (lol)

Would someone care to add any reasons why they might need 10 or more mods? I’d be curious to hear your reasoning.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Would someone care to add any reasons why they might need 10 or more mods? I’d be curious to hear your reasoning.

I have 6-7 MOD's with tanks already set up ready to power on and vape, plus another 5-6 Atomizers ready to go at all times simply for changing flavors but also vaping styles. Above Ohm to Sub Ohm is another reason. I find some flavors just taste better in a TC device where others taste lovely with a plain old Low wattage MOD/Tank. To each his own so to speak. I made the mistake one time of only taking one MOD with me for a short trip taking Dad to a Bakery and forgot I left it in my lap and cracked the glass when it hit the ground. Never again left the house with only one atomizer or MOD. Shit happens and usually at the worst time.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can understand having different mods, or at least different actuators or whatever they’re called, because of all the different flavors that are out there, and not wanting to waste any that are already in the dispenser.

Thus the reason I bought my second one this past Friday. I’m not interested in the ones that look like giant cigars or little tiny rectangular boxes. I like the ones I have.

So far (lol)

So you can rotate more flavors, builds, power levels, surface area etc., etc., etc.…or you just plain like the color. You don't cook everything you eat on one pan, do ya? Or how about eat off the same white plate? Did you know that color, yes color, can affect our taste perception?

On the popping, it's normal. If cotton, broken in and sits for long juice can start to congeal after heating and take on a jelly-like consistency. It doesn't flow well in this state and it'll pop like very hot fluid on a pan. The opposite is true if the juice is not very viscous to begin with (pg) as gravity will tend to pull it away from the coil and you'll got a pop as well You're overheating the thin supply of juice at the coil in both cases. Too little juice for the power which rapidly flash vaporizes. You mebe can reprime such set-up's to restore performance.

Dab (hold) the wick/s with tissue a couple'a three times to draw out the stale denser fluid. In both cases use a few drops of VG to open up the wick's capillaries. This may save you a re-wick or rebuild in a pinch. Synthetics let you get away with this much better. Cotton is best replaced ounce juice starts to thicken up in it either from sitting or with use in time.

Good luck. Enjoy the journey. :)

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It has been covered pretty well, for some of this it is a hobby or became a hobby. I had three mods my first month of vaping. The more I learned the more I ended up with. Then when I started building I ended up with some more, mechs came into the picture so even more came into the picture.
I squonk now so I am sure you see where that is going, yes even more. Today I am dripping using my old Tesla Nano with a Goon V 1.5 and it is hitting the spot for me. Just remember whatever works for you to keep you from smoking is the correct way. No one needs more than two mods. You do need a backup that is why I say two. It just depends how far in the rabbit hole you want to fall and what interest you.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
It has been covered pretty well, for some of this it is a hobby or became a hobby. I had three mods my first month of vaping. The more I learned the more I ended up with. Then when I started building I ended up with some more, mechs came into the picture so even more came into the picture.
I squonk now so I am sure you see where that is going, yes even more. Today I am dripping using my old Tesla Nano with a Goon V 1.5 and it is hitting the spot for me. Just remember whatever works for you to keep you from smoking is the correct way. No one needs more than two mods. You do need a backup that is why I say two. It just depends how far in the rabbit hole you want to fall and what interest you.

I don't need two. Don't need to vape at all. But having a typical 18 or so set-ups deployed let's me appreciate the gamut of tobacco experiences I used to enjoy and then some. Calling it a hobby would be underestimating the value of this. It's more like cooking than anything else we do. You don't just barbecue hot-dogs do you? :D

We def got conditioned by BT to a one-kind-a-smoke. And then by anti-smoking regs to become break-time chainers reinforcing that conditioning. That's really rather abnormal consumption for a human, and cruel.

Good luck. :)

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
for some of this it is a hobby or became a hobby.

Like Mac said this isn't a hobby for me and I really don't like hearing it referred to a Hobby but again to each his own. For me it is more of a lifestyle like when I was a Smoker. Now a former Smoker who Vapes or is a Vaper?

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Nothin like a little style bro. Enjoy the journey. :)

I have been enjoying it for years and here is another reason for a different MOD/Tank. Having a glass of wine before dinner so need a good flavor to pair with the Opici Homemade~!

upload_2018-9-5_17-47-24.png

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Oh and you can't forget the fun you have finding storage pieces. This was searching Antique Stores until I found this almost 100 year old Danish Oak Medicine/Curio Cabinet~!

upload_2018-9-5_17-54-40.png

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon

So far (lol)

The ones that have a premade coil in a tank that you fill with eliquid are called: tanks, atty's, atomizers, clearomizers
The ones that have a tank but you build your own coil for are called: RBA or RTA (Rebuildable Tank Atomizers)
The ones you make your own coil for and drip eliquid onto are called: RDA (Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer)

There are numerous reasons why most of us own several mods.
  • Backup in case of dead battery or damage
  • Flavor variety
  • Size variety
  • Function variety
  • Appearance variety
  • Hobby/Collector
I personally like to switch flavors often throughout the day to prevent "vapors tongue" so I have about 10 mods in my rotation. All with tanks on them and a different eliquid in each one. I never leave the house with less than 2 mods fully charged and full tanks.

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
If your vaping so you don’t smoke I think having a backup is a really good idea. Beyond that, it’s whatever you feel like doing. Personally I use one mod most of the time, have a backup in my lunch bag in case something goes wrong with my mod while at work (also extra batteries and a tank). Then I have two that drippers sit on because I like to do that sometimes to. Vaping can be as personalized as you please.

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
It is a good solid mod, I have one, along with my original Pico which was my second mod! Had a Baby Pico wich I just gifted to a neighbor. Still need to pick up a pico squeeze or two just to add to the pico's I own.
I hope you enjoy it...

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
I could love the Pico's if they'd only get rid of the batt cap and make the top of it level :(

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I could love the Pico's if they'd only get rid of the batt cap and make the top of it level
My first lesson regarding atty sizes. After two weeks of vaping I bought the Pico, a month later I went and bought a RDA. Well the RDA was a 24mm and wouldnt fit. I know new Pico's don't have that problem but I sure did learn my lesson. Bright side is I ended up buying another mod. LOL

Countrypami

The Link Ninja
Staff member
VU Administrator
Senior Moderator
VU Vendor Employee
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Live Host
Member For 5 Years
Reddit Exile
VU Patreon
My first lesson regarding atty sizes. After two weeks of vaping I bought the Pico, a month later I went and bought a RDA. Well the RDA was a 24mm and wouldnt fit. I know new Pico's don't have that problem but I sure did learn my lesson. Bright side is I ended up buying another mod. LOL
Ah man, I would be so upset! But your right.. another new mod is always a good thing!! :bliss:

Raymcconn

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Ah man, I would be so upset! But your right.. another new mod is always a good thing!!
My son helped me get vaping (he vaped for years). He never warned me about different atty sizes and when looking for tanks find out about coils. The coils I understand, he was use to mechs and building however atty sizes might of been nice. LOL

Izanagi7

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year

So far (lol)

I started with a Kangeroo Technology subox miniature and I love the slim and smooth form factor, great build quality, so simple to use and completely reliable. Puts out a tidy little 50 watts, which is ok for its subtank mini. At some point I longed for longer battery life so I sprang for a dual 18650 IPV4s and discovered high wattage vaping. It’s all been downhill from there. I picked up a TFV8 cloud beast and a KALI V2 RDA and I’m vaping something like 30-50ml a day now. I have to windex the windows in my room every two days or they turn into frosted glass. I work from home so I literally vape all day.

Currently looking for my first squanch mod, because drippers are love, drippers are life. Will likely go for a Geekvape Gbox.

Such has been my journey, a satisfying, cloudy campaign.

Sent from Star Destroyer Executor

Izanagi7

Bronze Contributor
Member For 1 Year
[QUOTE="MacTechVpr, post: 2255607, member: 6086"We def got conditioned by BT to a one-kind-a-smoke.[/QUOTE]

Oh you former cigarette smokers. In the realm of pipes, cigars and shisha there was always room for more. More pipes, more varieties of tobacco, more and more ways to tar up those lungs good and proper.

There’s no looking back though. Enjoying all these tasty juice flavours, the joy of building, the ability to vape in my room, not smelling like an ashtray. Feels good man.

Sent from Star Destroyer Executor

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I smoked one kind of cigarette for almost 40 years but now I vape 20 different ways and hundreds of flavors.

MacTechVpr

Bronze Contributor
Member For 5 Years
[QUOTE="MacTechVpr, post: 2255607, member: 6086"We def got conditioned by BT to a one-kind-a-smoke.

Oh you former cigarette smokers. In the realm of pipes, cigars and shisha there was always room for more. More pipes, more varieties of tobacco, more and more ways to tar up those lungs good and proper.

There’s no looking back though. Enjoying all these tasty juice flavours, the joy of building, the ability to vape in my room, not smelling like an ashtray. Feels good man.

Sent from Star Destroyer Executor[/QUOTE]

You were a pipe smokin gal…good for you. You didn't get my meanin tho. Yes, I agree there seems to be a great deal of variety. But beauty is only skin deep and still few chip makers. The real and infinite horizon is populated by those who rebuild and particularly mechanicals.

Enjoy the vape and good luck. :)

VU Sponsors