Become a Patron!

When does ejuice expire?

rj9923

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've heard of some ejuice getting pretty nasty after sitting around too long.

The rba base for my egrip broke, so I ordered a new one from fasttech. It will take quite some time to get here considering its from China. In the meantime I've been trying to make the two stock coils last as long as possible, and since they're already burnt I've been using my worst bottle of juice since it doesn't have a good taste anyways, and saving my good Mt Baker and MFS juices for when I can taste them on the new rba.

I've had some of my good juice sitting around for about six months. Is it about to expire, or do I not have to rush using it?

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Long as it tastes good, it's good. They usually last over a year anyway.
You can get a little more life out of those coils by soaking them in vodka or everclear, just make sure they completely air dry.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
The general consensus seems to be that E-Liquids if stored properly should be good for two years.

Hell, I have some that is going on three years that is still good.

VinceV1

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
After a year it should be thrown away IMO.

One to 6 months is the best time for a juice.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
back when all ejuice came from China, they were putting 2 yr dates on the stuff because, supposedly, that's the norm for any product without testing. Anyway, back then I had some that arrived from China already nasty (smelling like old, sweaty socks), I had some that turned bad after around 6 months, some that lasted a little over a year, some that went south around the 2 year mark, and some that were still fine 4 yrs later. I think part of it is what flavorings were mixed with what, but dunno for sure. One thing I do know, when it goes bad, you'll know as soon you open the bottle and take a whiff.

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Chinese socks eliquid is delicious. lol
LoL. I still got a couple of old (2009?) dekang watermelon eliquid that was Chinese sock flavor from the get-go, if you'd like me to send some your way *rotfl*

#dontjudgeme I was hanging on to 'em in case of the great vapegeddon. Now that I DIY and have 3 liters of 100mg base stashed, I was gonna toss 'em, but if you'd like 'em. . :D

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nicotine and no electricity... oups
82821739-hamster-on-wheel-powering-light-bulb-gettyimages.jpg

:D :D

VinceV1

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
So a good prepper keeps hamsters. How many Mah by hamster ?

Last edited:

LuTang

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've heard of some ejuice getting pretty nasty after sitting around too long.

The rba base for my egrip broke, so I ordered a new one from fasttech. It will take quite some time to get here considering its from China. In the meantime I've been trying to make the two stock coils last as long as possible, and since they're already burnt I've been using my worst bottle of juice since it doesn't have a good taste anyways, and saving my good Mt Baker and MFS juices for when I can taste them on the new rba.

I've had some of my good juice sitting around for about six months. Is it about to expire, or do I not have to rush using it?

you should have checked out angelcigs. they have authentic egrip for cheaper and they have US stock. i always check there before fasttech. they are basically like fasttech pricewise, but they also have a us warehouse that they keep many popular items on hand for much quicker shipping. at least that is my understanding.

ydanielyoung

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The expiry date of e liquid isn’t officially establish, nut based on the life of PG, VG and nicotine it can be expected to be 1 or 2 years.

zpedd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
we say at our shop its good for a year on a shelf or in the fridge a year and a half and if you have it longer than that you probably didn't like it anyways lol

outwest

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Moved my nightstand and found an old bottle of hardly touched ('cause didn't care for it) Totally Wicked Cola flavor. It's from back around 2009 or so and smells extra musty. Any takers? :D

zpedd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Moved my nightstand and found an old bottle of hardly touched ('cause didn't care for it) Totally Wicked Cola flavor. It's from back around 2009 or so and smells extra musty. Any takers? :D
sounds extra nasty because its cola lol

Gratefulvapes

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
This really comes down to the VG content and whither or not the flavors have organic components.

I have found 50/50 blends to be best after 6 months and last at least 2 years. I also found that e-liquid that contains organic extracts can start to develop mold in as little as 3 months. To understand why this happens, we need to understand what gives e-liquid a shelf life. Its the PG.

This is the very reason I laugh my ass off whenever someone claims they have 100% VG e-liquid. What keeps the liquid from turning into a home science mold experiment, is all but missing, assumably with no preservative replacement. Also it is worth mentioning that organic extracts come in a alcohol base, which loses its efficiency as a preservative when its watered down with vg. Always avoid 100% VG juices and ones that claim to be organic. On paper these look nice and appealing to a consumer but in reality its quite a different story and you can introduce some pretty bad things into your system.

My rule of thumb is if it isn't max vg (~75% or lower) or using organic compounds you should be good for a year at the least.
If its a max vg i would get weary after about 6 months
and if it has organic compounds don't vape it. Period. Vaping is a rare instance where organic isn't better.

Pegasus Vape

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I could never leave a juice alone that long.....lol!

LOL! ;) I'm interested and seeing what my one year steep Teumessian is going to taste like! Got a small head stash of each flavor that is almost at the year marker! Ahhh yeah! But it's hard to not crack those open! But to add to the conversation, I've heard past two years "some" e-liquid can start to dwindle in flavor. Still haven't had this issue!

Happy vaping all!;)

ydanielyoung

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Mostly the expiry date is given on the bottles of e juice but it depends on the being of VG and PG.

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The general consensus seems to be that E-Liquids if stored properly should be good for two years.

Hell, I have some that is going on three years that is still good.
Those three year old ones, must be for special occasions huh

spiveykidd

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Some say it doesn't really expire the FDA requires companies to have a expiration date though! :)

NightOwl

VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heat drastically cuts the half life of eliquid. When you order juice in the summer you have no clue how many hot trucks and tarmacs the bottle experiences before it gets to you. The juice may be fine when you get it, but will spoil much faster than juice that was stored properly.

Summer is not the time to stock your Armageddon ejuice pantry, but fine for a bottle you are going to finish fast. I usually stock up on in April and don't reorder until well into October.

Expiration date is not a fixed date. 3 months could be too long if your juice has been baked in transit. There is no recovering.

Good news is that expired juice tastes like funky nothingness and often gets dark. It's pretty obvious it needs to be chucked. I'd vape 3 year old juice if it still tasted good.

Last edited:

thewanderernick

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heat drastically cuts the half life of eliquid. When you order juice in the summer you have no clue how many hot trucks and tarmacs the bottle experiences before it gets to you. The juice may be fine when you get it, but will spoil much faster than juice that was stored properly.

Summer is not the time to stock your Armageddon ejuice pantry, but fine for a bottle you are going to finish fast. I usually stock up on in April and don't reorder until well into October.

Expiration date is not a fixed date. 3 months could be too long if your juice has been baked in transit. There is no recovering.

Good news is that expired juice tastes like funky nothingness and often gets dark. It's pretty obvious it needs to be chucked. I'd vape 3 year old juice if it still tasted good.
very good info right there, and it makes alot of sense. The same thing seems to occur with alot of other products too. Handling makes a ton of difference

greengold55

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Heat plays a role but I wonder if plastic causes a significant role either in the expiration time

1532329576602753550351.jpg 1532329392030539781933.jpg
Appreciate this post.. Came across it because I realized I had five bottles of vape juice open right now. The first one was opened June 28th, 2018.. So not even a month ago. I have been vaping a lot so I should go through it within 6 months to 9 months?

Last edited:

Jixil

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Reddit Exile
View attachment 116305 View attachment 116304
Appreciate this post.. Came across it because I realized I had five bottles of vape juice open right now. The first one was opened June 28th, 2018.. So not even a month ago. I have been vaping a lot so I should go through it within 6 months to 9 months?

That's totally fine. But man...6 to 9 months? I go through a bottle in like a few days lol

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
View attachment 116305 View attachment 116304
I've never seen juice with food coloring in it till now. Who makes the blue and orange ones?

I've never seen juice with food coloring in it till now. Who makes the blue and orange ones?

The blue one is Smurf by Vapergate. The "orange" one is a caramel color. It's Cinnamon Glazed Blueberry Scone by Barista Brew Co.. The Barista Brew Co. one is more natural color. I promise it's not orange.

Ralph_K

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I had some ejuice i didn't care for and left it in my car for something like 3 weeks. I tried it again it was the best juice I ever had but damn I can't remember the brand

That's totally fine. But man...6 to 9 months? I go through a bottle in like a few days lol

6-9 months, I'm exaggerating..I doubt they'll last that long. Lol I've already gone through 1 coil on my new mod(bought it Wednesday, 7/18) And a quarter to a third of three of my bottles. Two flavors I mix together and a third I use alone. I am trying to cut back on my vaping already.. I'm obsessive. I sit in my room watch movies and just vape when I'm not obligated to be elsewhere.. Oh, well. Better than smelling like a dirty ashtray, right?

VU Sponsors