Become a Patron!

What's the point of higher wattage?

I'm not new to vaping at all, I'm just really confused lol. I started out with the blu cig. You know, the one that looked like a little cigarette and came with the recharging pack. From there I went to the little stick batteries then the itaste box thing. I fell off for a while and then someone introduced me to this sub ohm concept. They had a mod that went up to 80. I got one that went up to 60 with a arctic tank. I don't know what ohms the tank was but I remember being able to crank that thing all he way up without getting a burnt taste. I fell off again for a while and recently started to vape again. At first I had a Togo mini, but I feel like it was just defective and wasn't working for me. I just got a Smok quantum 80w mod. It came with a 1.2 ohm coil and a .6 ohm coil. I'm currently using the 1.2 ohm. I started vaping at 25 watts but that kind of tasted burnt so I moved to 20. Every few puffs I'd still get this burnt taste. I started doing some googling and came across a thread here. Someone said that a 1.2 ohm wic is better vaped at a 12. This confuses me. I'm vaping at 15 watts now and while the burnt taste is gone, I'm not getting the clouds I expected. What's the point of having an 80 watt mod if I'm vaping at 15? What do I need to do or buy to be able to use my vape at its fullest capabilities? I want the clouds so bad lol I'm just so lost.

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
What's the point of having an 80 watt mod if I'm vaping at 15? What do I need to do or buy to be able to use my vape at its fullest capabilities?

Lower wattage will make the battery last longer - but if you want huge clouds, go with the .6 coil, crank up the wattage till it tastes good to you.

Higher VG juice will make bigger clouds also

And welcome :wave:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
To blow clouds
giphy.gif

mach1ne

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
wattage is kind of a confusing way to measure anything in vaping. voltage is more constant with regard to the vape you get. 1.2ohms at 4v is 13w. .12ohm at 4v is 133w. 3.5-4v is around where vape starts to happen no matter what coils or devices you are using.

the 1.2 ohm coil your tank came with is for a mouth to lung style of vaping, similar to smoking a cigarette. the .6 ohm coil is for direct lung vaping, where you just haul on it like an oxygen mask :D generally speaking, the lower ohm stuff is what you are looking for, and your 80w box might not have you covered.

Rickajho

Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
What's the point of having an 80 watt mod if I'm vaping at 15?

Pardon the analogy, but you could ask what's the point of having a Porsche if you are stuck driving on a dirt road.

You adapt your wattage to what works for the coil you have in front of you, and that isn't gong to be the same wattage for every pre-built coil you put on that box. The point is to have a good vaping experience, the numbers are secondary. If you don't like the clouds you aren't getting, move on to a different coil and/or RDTA/RDA that will do that - possibly just for the sake of doing that.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fat thick coils with many wraps need a lot of watt power to heat up.....
C360_2016-12-02-04-48-35-565.jpg

Small wimpy pussy coils, don't need that much power....
C360_2016-11-12-14-46-23-488.jpg

Obscene sick shit..... Needs mega power......

C360_2016-11-02-01-02-56-675.jpgC360_2016-11-02-01-06-01-024.jpgC360_2016-11-02-01-01-31-411.jpg

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for your awesome feedback! I have discovered the awesomeness that is high bf mix. I'm currently vaping a 70/30 juice. I'm admittedly straight lung vaping with the 1.2 coil. I was wondering if I should change to the .6 so y'all just confirmed that I should. I'm now wondering if I can just buy a arctic tank for the vape I have now and get better results. I never had a problem with that tank it's just a little pricey. I just dropped 160 all together (with 2 60ml bottles of juice) on this new vape a few days ago so there is no getting a new one at this point in time.

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Lower resistance coils generally require more power and also use more juice, so you get more flavor and vapor. A lot depends on your airflow and shape of your tank. As a rule, higher wattage and higher airflow = more cloud, where less air and less power give better flavor. Power depends on how warm you like your vape and you should always start low and work up to where you like it. Don't worry about how many watts your box can do, use the watts you need to get the vape you like. For example, my box does 200w, but i am only using 126w. 133 is about ideal.

To be honest, don't worry about fullest capacity, stick to what you like. For example, from what you are used to, and what I am vaping now, you would choke on the vapor. It is something you have to get used to. Just like when you started smoking... tiny kissy puffs and little inhale...then to full draws after you got used to it.. right?

Now to get the MOST from your mod, learning to build coils is the way to go. It gives you a more customized vape. For example, on my tank i use a mini RBA and build around 0.4 ohm, but.. i use 7 wraps of 3 strand parallel stainless steel (32ga) wire, that is 21 total wraps on a 3.0mm core. That is a massive coil compared to the factory coils. I have to run it around 75w.

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Fat thick coils with many wraps need a lot of watt power to heat up.....
View attachment 75576

Small wimpy pussy coils, don't need that much power....
View attachment 75577

Obscene sick shit..... Needs mega power......

View attachment 75578View attachment 75579View attachment 75580

Whoa! That looks really complicated! How difficult was it to start learning how to build? I mean, I don't need mega power lol I'm just looking for a decent cloud.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is not point to high wattage or low wattage, just for the sake of wattage.
The point is to build a coil(s) with high surface area and with mass appropriate for the size of your atty chamber, then run it at wattage appropriate for it's mass.

Last edited:

pulsevape

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is not point to high wattage, or low wattage.
The point is to build a coil(s) with high surface area and with mass appropriate for the size of your atty chamber, then run it at wattage appropriate for it's mass.
That me friend sounds like the title of a blog or thread that needs to be written....how about it.

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is not point to high wattage, or low wattage.
Yep, I can get a nice pleasantly warm (not hot fucking magma) with a lot of thick dense clouds at 0.2Ω - 0.3Ω pretty damn easy. That's not even with massive gauge wires either, just with SS fused Claptons. I don't like packing the deck with massive coils, I've found that all this does is that you end up with a damn hot atty and cooking the juice. That's a big reason why I really like => 28mm devices

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Whoa! That looks really complicated! How difficult was it to start learning how to build? I mean, I don't need mega power lol I'm just looking for a decent cloud.
You don't have to make the coils.... Buy them made and you have to simply install them...... All you have to do is test and see what level of heat or better said warmth vape you enjoy...... Some like it warm some like it hot......Just test and spend time on Vaping Underground......

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
OK I've been dying to ask this...how the fuck are your lungs able to handle the heat put out by those coils.LOL...
Use stainless Steel and they ramp up very fast with high wattage..... This means you need less watts for the same cloud you would get with Kanthal......

gbalkam

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
http://vapingunderground.com/threads/how-to-build-you-first-basic-coil-for-new-vapers.298828/

I made a 4 part post for new builders. Going from "a monkey could do this" to " looking up new cuss words to use while doing this"
Quite simply, 4 part series on your 4 most basic coils. I make all my vids geared toward my little brother.
I'm just glad my middle brother doesn't vape. That little maniac would be figuring ways to turn a combat tank into a mod, using aircraft cable for coil, and an industrial generator to power it, and yelling "CLOUDS BRO" as he hauled a vape off the turret.

** monkey could do this was referring to wrapping his tail around a tree branch. Same thing.

Last edited:

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I haven't been vaping as long as some of these other folks but in my experience the burnt taste comes from vaping at too high of a wattage (too hot) for the setup of coil and wick. Meaning the wicking can't keep up, cooking the juice out of the wick faster than it can reabsorb more juice. Once burnt (singed, not even a full dry hit) it's hard to get rid of the burnt flavor.

The trouble with premade factory coils that are easily swapped out cartridges with wick preinstalled, they're not meant for easy wick replacement. Vs a rebuildable like an rta where if the cotton gets a bit singed it can be taken out and a new bit of wick installed to get back to 'fresh'.

As others mentioned the lower the resistance of the coil the more wattage it takes to achieve the same 3.5-4v of power and subsequently, heat. Especially if it's a dual coil build. A low ohm like .2 or .3 build consisting of 2 coils could take 80-100w and still be a 'cool' vape.

It also depends on the thickness of the coil wire, .2 ohm with 2 coils could be achieved with just a four wrap coil of 26ga 316L stainless wire (low resistance by nature of the metal type vs kanthal for instance). That would be a hotter vape because the metal is heating up rapidly due to how thin it is. By using a thicker 24ga wire and using 6 wraps on each coil, wattage the same, resistance the same, the heat of the vape is reduced a lot to fairly warm vape from a scalding hot vape.

Not trying to over complicate things, just pointing out that if 20-30w with your current setup (coil size, resistance etc) is hot/burnt tasting it doesn't automatically mean 100w is boiling hot on a completely different setup. It's all in the build, it could be anything from scalding hot to barely creating vapor depending on the rest of the build.

Mike H.

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I think wattage range depends mostly on the type of tank used itself...For example using a Billow V2 even if you put super .15ohm Clapton alien coils in it it still wont support 60watts of wattage...Air flow is a Huge part in wattage choices and so is the size of the deck, more should look at that as a determining factor when choosing a tank...Of course, more air means you can use more power without it being too hot for the build deck...In other words don't buy a billow V2 or an OBS Crius (22mm) if you want to vape at 60 to 70 watts...The air flow just doesn't support such heat.

There are 20 watt tanks and 30 watt tanks and 50 watt tanks and even tanks that can support 100w....Do research and choose wisely to find your wattage level...A 20 watt vape in a Kayfun V5 or a Taifun GT3 can be quite enjoyable..Its not always about super high wattage to enjoy a vape.

Mattp169

Platinum Contributor
Vape Media
Member For 5 Years
theres multiple points to high watts
1. how has the biggest dick for marketing purposes - simply put it helps sell new mods
2. do you want to run a device at its max abilities constantly. If you vape at 50w do you want a mod that only goes up to 50w or do you want some head room. This can save the drain on the electronic components
3. it gives you room to explore - when i got my first subtank i had a 30w device. then i tried another tank and 30 watts wasnt enough so i needed a 50 device. then i tried another tank i liked and needed at least a 75 device. now a days i got 2 120w a 165w a 200w and a 75w. i never vape higher then 60w. now in the future i may never go above 60w or i may regualrly vape at 100 either way i am covered

now as to your personal issues with burnttaste. Its been pretty much covered.
in simplest terms the type of coil ,the number of wraps, the amount of wire used, and the final ohm of the coil determine what wattages work best

in general a single wire coil needs less wattage to heat up then the same coil in a dual coil configuration, which needs less then a dual coil that needs multiple types of wires to make it (clapton,transformer,etc)

you start at low wattage and work your way up until you find what tastes best for you.

bugalien

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I have a 220 watt mod and usually don't go over 70 watts. I prefer to vape on a couple simple coils or sometimes claptons. I just built a couple of simple coils that read .278 ohms and it vapes fine for me in between 35 and 50 watts. I do not like too hot of a vape and tend to close down my airflow for a thicker and more flavorful vape. The flavor of a juice can change with different watts as well.

BuryTheSun

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
You say you are getting a burnt taste after 3-4 draws in a short period? Sounds like a wicking problem.

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Forget the watts and focus on the voltage...doesn't matter if it is a 1.8Ω coil or a 0.18Ω coil, 4 volts is going to be a good starting point, you might want it a bit lower or higher but you wont be that far off...but in watts that is over an 80W difference

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Forget the watts and focus on the voltage...doesn't matter if it is a 1.8Ω coil or a 0.18Ω coil, 4 volts is going to be a good starting point, you might want it a bit lower or higher but you wont be that far off...but in watts that is over an 80W difference
That's what I do... I like vaping at 3.15 volts..... But some coils require more voltage .... So it's pretty much the same crap.....

Adjust it to your desired taste buds and the intensity of the Lucifer throat fuck preference you enjoy.....

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saying we should switch to voltage and always use 4V is saying that the only thing effecting your wattage choice is the resistance of the coil, which is wrong.

For example, I have a mammoth coil in one of my RDAs with 0.6 resistance.
Using it at 4V would mean 26.6W.
I'm using it at 90-100W and at 26W it would feel like vaping without pressing the fire button.

At high enough wattage any coil can become responsive, no matter the resistance.

The wattage needs to match it's mass and any wattage above that is translated into excess heat.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Saying we should switch to voltage and always use 4V is saying that the only thing effecting your wattage choice is the resistance of the coil, which is wrong.

I'm using it at 90-100W and at 26W it would feel like vaping without pressing the fire button.

At high enough wattage any coil can become responsive, no matter the resistance.

The wattage needs to match it's mass and any wattage above that is translated into excess heat.
Exactly

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only reason that would cause me to aim at a specific resistance range would be the mod voltage and amperage limitations.

For example if I had a mod with a chip limited to 25A (for example the Cuboid) and wanted to reach 120W I would limit myself to 0.2 or above.

If I had a mod limited to 6V (for example VT133) and wanted to reach 100W I would limit myself to 0.35 or below.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The only reason that would cause me to aim at a specific resistance range would be the mod voltage and amperage limitations.

For example if I had a mod with a chip limited to 25A and wanted to reach 120W I would limit myself to 0.2 or above.

If I had a mod limited to 6V (for example VT133) and wanted to reach 100W I would limit myself to 0.35 or below.
It's all a numbers game..... Just like playing lotto you play what you think is the winning combination...... You keep playing numbers until one combo hits !!!

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
It's all a numbers game..... Just like playing lotto you play what you think is the winning combination...... You keep playing numbers until one combo hits !!!

Yep. People often ask me, nowadays, how on earth I vape at 2 ohms or 10w, "is that really vaping?" :D It certainly is, when you have a tight-draw atomizer! Without a freaking hurricane blowing thru the atty, you don't NEED much wattage, and keeping the resistance high means the heat stays low, and it helps conserve the battery, along with the low wattage.

These high-wattage mods mean that people never learn to vape "old school," the way it was done when regulated mods were limited to 11 or 15 watts. Ditto these freaking hurricane atomizers. Frankly I don't understand why any former smoker would choose to start huffing their vape, which is exactly what you have to do, to get anything from those super-airy hurricane attys. I never huffed my cigarettes, and I don't think that most other smokers did or do either. Nor do I understand the need for the fucking whipped cream clouds, because cigarettes certainly don't cause thick clouds like that.

Andria

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaping at 10W and 100W are both perfectly fine as long as it's done with the appropriate atty.

The problem starts when people switch to a different type of atty but still use the same kind of build at the same wattage, because that's what they're used to, but then are disappointed by the results.

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yep. People often ask me, nowadays, how on earth I vape at 2 ohms or 10w, "is that really vaping?" :D It certainly is, when you have a tight-draw atomizer! Without a freaking hurricane blowing thru the atty, you don't NEED much wattage, and keeping the resistance high means the heat stays low, and it helps conserve the battery, along with the low wattage.

These high-wattage mods mean that people never learn to vape "old school," the way it was done when regulated mods were limited to 11 or 15 watts. Ditto these freaking hurricane atomizers. Frankly I don't understand why any former smoker would choose to start huffing their vape, which is exactly what you have to do, to get anything from those super-airy hurricane attys. I never huffed my cigarettes, and I don't think that most other smokers did or do either. Nor do I understand the need for the fucking whipped cream clouds, because cigarettes certainly don't cause thick clouds like that.

Andria
I don't even get a hard on with 11 watts

Rabbit Slayer

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee

Never said always use 4V, .I said it was a good start point....
Plus when I first started vaping, using VV mode kept me from hitting a 1.8Ω coil at 50W, forgetting to turn the watts UP is no big deal, but forgetting to turn them down really is not fun. Now that I have 7 mods, it isn't an issue, but I'm still annoyed that 95% of the mods coming out don't offer VV mode...not having a VV mode option on my Flask133 pisses me off, all the stuff you can customize but watts/temp is the only thing you can have as the main display.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
They make a pill for that Manny

I just can't figure out what a boner has to do with vaping. I 've heard of women who can smoke with their hooha, but a vaping boner? Never happen.

Good thing this forum is for 18+ only... and isn't ECF. :giggle:

Andria

SirRichardRear

AKA Anthony Vapes on Youtube
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Reviewer
It's kinds like saying what's the point of vodka if we have beer. Sure beer can get u drunk but vodka will do it quicker and we all have different tolerances;)

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I just can't figure out what a boner has to do with vaping. I 've heard of women who can smoke with their hooha, but a vaping boner? Never happen.

Andria

Me thinks he is hoping for just such a scenario :giggle:

MannyScoot

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years

Andria
I think the FDA would be monitoring.... That way I can tell them where I'm shoving my boner......

VU Sponsors