Become a Patron!

What's the next step up from round wire?

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Still some experimenting to be done with basic 24 gauge kanthal but looking for the next level..what would that be? twisted? claptons,aliens? I dunno where to go next. I don't think I want to make my own wire but maybe buy a roll of something a little more advanced and wrap my own? What do you suggest?

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Still some experimenting to be done with basic 24 gauge kanthal but looking for the next level..what would that be? twisted? claptons,aliens? I dunno where to go next. I don't think I want to make my own wire but maybe buy a roll of something a little more advanced and wrap my own? What do you suggest?

Go for fused claptons. This company is well respected. I bought a shitload of coils from them 8 months ago, a variety of fused claptons and I've still got a bunch left. You can buy them already made or buy the wire and wrap them yourself. I suggest buy the pre-made first to see if you like them. Their customer service is pretty damn good as well.

Alternatively, you can buy them from bd_builder or Raymo here on this site. I just received some Aliens from Raymo and he shipped them halfway around the world quite quickly. I still haven't got around to trying them yet...I'm slow like that, but I'm sure they're great. I suggest you contact these guys as they're master builders.

https://www.advancedvapesupply.com/

Last edited:

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Pretty easy to use depending on the MOD. Many just set wattage and the temperature then vape! A DNA MOD is a bit more involved though.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Once I started using SS316L in TC Mode I stopped using other kinds of wire. Maybe one of these days I will experiment with them again but the smooth cool vape I achieve with SS316L and TC Mode is perfect for the vapor I want and like.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I'm using an alien 220 w. I think since entering the world of RDA's TC is inevitably in my future. I'm honestly ignorant about TC.

Matty Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also I'm still pretty new to this stuff and I'm in the process of learning what I like.. It's definitely a fun process but a process none the less. Please bare with me guys lol I'm not trying to progress to the point of mechs and building complex builds. I'm just a regular vaper who likes simplicity. That much I know..I'm going to learn about temp control as that would probably be beneficial to my vaping journey..I'm assuming you guys suggest TC because I need it? I'm completely sidetracked from my initial Inquiry about coils lol

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I accidentally bought some square vaping wire... tasted the same as round... o_O
Simple single spaced SS coil... best flavor I've had.

bobnat

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Also I'm still pretty new to this stuff and I'm in the process of learning what I like.. It's definitely a fun process but a process none the less. Please bare with me guys lol I'm not trying to progress to the point of mechs and building complex builds. I'm just a regular vaper who likes simplicity. That much I know..I'm going to learn about temp control as that would probably be beneficial to my vaping journey..I'm assuming you guys suggest TC because I need it? I'm completely sidetracked from my initial Inquiry about coils lol

No, you don't need it, I don't think anyone does. But when it works well, it's damn good. It's just all part and parcel of the process. Someday you'll probably try squonking, mech mods, DIY, and whatnot. It's part necessity and part curiosity. You'll get there on your time so don't be hard on yourself. Everyone starts at square one, you're no different. If you find you like one thing and want to stick with it forever, then that's your choice. If you get the desire to wrap the Eiffel tower, than go for it.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I suggested using TC because you brought up Stainless Steel but you asked about Wattage Mode. In my opinion if you are using Stainless Steel wire TC Mode is the way to go.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Perhaps there is no 'step up' needed for some of us?

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I suggested using TC because you brought up Stainless Steel but you asked about Wattage Mode. In my opinion if you are using Stainless Steel wire TC Mode is the way to go.

Yes you can, but my personal opinion is why?
Simple, SS is more responsive and better flavor. TC, meh not my thing but SS is IMO the best wire available.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

brandon david

Bronze Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Meh, I never cared for TC.

OP, give making a basic single core clapton a shot as the next step up. Once you get the hang of getting the wraps tight and even, you can spin up a few feet in just a few minutes. I generally make about 2 feet at a time every week or two in the shop at work after I've shut everything down. It takes maybe 5 minutes including setup.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

geoffd

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only been using RTA's for a few months but my preference is SS in wattage mode. The clean flavor and near zero ramp-up time are winners for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

r055co

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Only been using RTA's for a few months but my preference is SS in wattage mode. The clean flavor and near zero ramp-up time are winners for me.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Yep, was a fan of SS long before SS TC Support. The clean and crisp taste is what I truly loved about it. Then when I got into Mech's the performance is what made me love it much much more.

You hear about some super duper "Clouds Bro" Comp wire with some super secret blend........ it just cracks me up. Just get some quality SS from Kidney Puncher or Atomizer Wick.

Anyway, that's my two bits for what it's worth.

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
And I'm just pointing out that SS isn't just for TC

I don't know why your quoting me because that has already been stated early in the post. Sure you don't have to use TC for SS but I wouldn't not use it.

Cormic

Member For 3 Years
By now I'm sure you decided. But a sort of standard progression is single,twisted,Clapton, fused Clapton (stapled Clapton if you wish), Staggered fused Clapton, then alien. That gives you most of the building blocks you want. You don't have to do them in that order but it makes sense. After that it's a matter of style preference. Also this isn't my list but one I have come across many times.

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Once you get the hang of getting the wraps tight and even

Thats the trick to making good claptons. I use a bobbin threader and old protank head, have the threader tight on the spool so its hard to spin keeping the wraps consistent, IMO more tight and consistent than holding the spool with your hand. If you have spaces between the wraps when you make the coil then the wraps are not tight enough.
As for TC. I didn't bother until I got some SS wire a few months ago and now all I vape is SS clapton in TC. Its amazing how great of a vape you get in TC vs just wattage mode.

VU Sponsors