Become a Patron!

What would you suggest the best MOD would be for me?

I have had Eleaf IStick TC40's for a long time but I have the TFV12 Prince Tank and I am looking for a good mod (The mod DOES NOT have to use the TFV12Prince Tank as I have been told SMOK ® is bad for some reason.) What is the best mod there is (either for my tank if it isn't bad because I find it okay) or how do I find out which one is best for me? My requirements are in no particular order: It should be aesthetically pleasing, 2. It should have a high wattage, 3. It should have a nice LCD display (this kind of goes with #1 but it is important), and 4. It should (doesn't have to but it would be nice) if it had different ohms of coils available. I would like at the very very least 100 watts. I would also prefer it have at least have quadruple coil options.

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I have had Eleaf IStick TC40's for a long time but I have the TFV12 Prince Tank and I am looking for a good mod (The mod DOES NOT have to use the TFV12Prince Tank as I have been told SMOK ® is bad for some reason.) What is the best mod there is (either for my tank if it isn't bad because I find it okay) or how do I find out which one is best for me? My requirements are in no particular order: It should be aesthetically pleasing, 2. It should have a high wattage, 3. It should have a nice LCD display (this kind of goes with #1 but it is important), and 4. It should (doesn't have to but it would be nice) if it had different ohms of coils available. I would like at the very very least 100 watts. I would also prefer it have at least have quadruple coil options.
Ive heard good things about the Smok Species. The Prince tank performs just fine. Some of the colors chip off but that doesn't effect the vape.

What you want is up to you. It's probably gunna need two batteries. Look around and find a top three or so of what you like. That way you can narrow down your selection and get opinions here about what's good or bad. There are WAY too many good mods out there to just reccomend one to you.

Ive heard good things about the Smok Species. The Prince tank performs just fine. Some of the colors chip off but that doesn't affect the vape.

What you want is up to you. It's probably gonna need two batteries. Look around and find a top three or so of what you like. That way you can narrow down your selection and get opinions here about what's good or bad. There are WAY too many good mods out there to just recommend one to you.

What batteries would you recommend? Because I was really wanting the Green & Black "MAG Grip Kit": https://www.smoktech.com/kit/mag since I already Have the same tank (just a different color) this would be convenient. Would you suggest it?

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Vaporesso revenger kit is really nice. Just got it yesterday and been using it since. Try elementvape.com ..

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Could also check out the hardware thread we have here. Always some great deals in there. Might not be the magnet. But most times I find stuff is always less than online.

Last edited:

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What batteries would you recommend? Because I was really wanting the Green & Black "MAG Grip Kit": https://www.smoktech.com/kit/mag since I already Have the same tank (just a different color) this would be convenient. Would you suggest it?
That'll work. I have one and it works good. You want batteries from IMR or Liion Wholesale. Our battery expert Mooch suggests getting LG, Samsung, or Sony Batteries. I use LG HG2's and Samsung 30Q's.

Buddha222

Chainvaping through the fog ....
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
The mod DOES NOT have to use the TFV12Prince Tank as I have been told SMOK ® is bad for some reason.

I wouldn't say they're bad, really ... It just seems that the more popular they've gotten, the more their quality control has been dropping off.

I've had a number of Smok products that are still going strong two years later.
I also have had the experience of having both Aliens crap the bed after a couple month's use.

Vaporesso revenger kit is really nice. Just got it yesterday and been using it since. Try elementvape.com ..

Odd you mention that. Did you see MyFreedomSmokes' Alien Killer video? It's a Revenger v/s Alien comparison.

MrMeowgi

The Vapin' Drummer
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I wouldn't say they're bad, really ... It just seems that the more popular they've gotten, the more their quality control has been dropping off.

I've had a number of Smok products that are still going strong two years later.
I also have had the experience of having both Aliens crap the bed after a couple month's use.

Odd you mention that. Did you see MyFreedomSmokes' Alien Killer video? It's a Revenger v/s Alien comparison.
I did not see that. Haven't used an alien but this thing is pretty good. Not a big tank but still 5ml isn't too bad

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
I haven't seen this mentioned yet so I'm going to throw in some info. Almost all tanks have the same connector. Almost all mods have the same connector. It is called a 510. For the most part you can swap any atty out onto any mod, regardless of the manufacturer, as long as it has a 510 connector. Any reputable (and even non reputable) manufacturers will list te type of connector on their hardware. All in all you can pick the hardware you like the best and mix and match. So when you ask for a mod to be able to have a quad coil option, that's like asking for a power drill to have a Philips head option. It is the tank that accepts the coils, not the mod.

I am not a hardware hobbyist (I'm a coil hobbyist) so I don't have personal experience with a lot of it. But here's my 2 cents on mods.

1) Smok Alien - I have had 2 Smok Aliens (first one was from the first batch my local shop got in years ago) I used and abused that thing and it kicked hard up until early 2017 when the 510 connector started to come out of the socket. Within a month after that the fire bar fell off and the top plate screw mounts broke. But, I can still screw an atty into it and it fires up just fine. The second one I purchased shortly after the first one started to fall apart. I've had a small problem with the pin coming off the spring here and there but on the whole it is still working fine a year later. It is still one of the most aesthetically pleasing mods on the market (imho). The screen is a little 8-bit compared to what you can get now. But it gives you all of the info you need and at the very least isn't ugly. It feels great in the hand. It isn't so light you feel like your going to break it, but isn't so heavy to be a rock in your pocket. Of my 4 mods it is still my favorite.
2) Weismec Noisy Cricket-II - This thing is great!! Kind of an all in one option. Regulated (podentiometer), parallel unregulated,series unregulated. It's plain and simple looking but you can get wraps made for it with many different design options. There is no screen. The voltage dial is a little finicky. But it's dirt cheap. And it's a rock solid vape. Got it at my B&M for 25 bucks and seen it online for 15. But be warned, this can be a dangerous mod when not used appropriately.
3) Pulse 80w BF - Not really what your looking for since your looking to tank and not sqonk. But something to look at if you decide to get into RDA's and squonking. It's a great introduction to the style.
4) Smok Majesty - Purchased this as a back-up/beater not long after the second alien purchase. This thing is crap. It has a REALLY hard time pushing the wattage you ask of it. Same build on it vs. the Alien and there's a gigantic difference. And not that long ago the positive board connection just strait broke off. Now that's not a mark against the mod since it could happen to any mod. But it is an indication of the well known horrid Smok QC.
5) I have not owned a Mag but I've heard horror story after horror story about their quality. People having to buy 3 or more in a month. And smok customer service is non existent. Pretty much if a Smok mod breaks you eat it, unless your shop is willing to take it back. So, check in with your supplier about return policies before purchasing.

As far as coils for tanks go ... DO NOT get a smok tank unless you just can't live without it. The tanks themselves are really good. But smoks coils are just .... so .... bad. Well Let's rephrase that. At least 1/2 of the coils are just .... so ... bad ... When you get a good coil it is a fantabulous vape. But, your flipping a coin every time you put a new one in. This is speaking from personal experience. Other than that I don't have any input on sub-ohm prefab tanks as I haven't used many.

As far as batteries go ... if you are unfamiliar with batteries I suggest doing some research. While most regulated mods have a myriad of protection options ... non of them are foolproof. If one goes out and your batteries are not capable of handling the amperage you can literally melt you mod. When looking into batteries DO NOT take the manufacturers, or even the suppliers, word as to what they can handle. Just google the batteries and find a "mooch" post on it. A lot of the info on mooches stuff is like a foriegn language if you don't know about the stuff. But the important part is finding the CDR (continuous drain rate) in amps. DO NOT just look and see "40 amp" on a battery and take it. Those are "pulse" ratings. It does not account for continuous drain on the battery. With a quality regulated mod a single 20 amp (CDR) battery can handle approx ~57 watts of power safely. That multiplies for each battery. The other major thing to watch for in batteries is getting fakes. The fake industry has gotten pretty good at their craft so it's hard to tell the real from the fake. A good safe option is to go to a reputable dealer, Lightning Vapes is always on point, when purchasing batteries.

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Due to quality control I will not even consider Smok mods, I can't afford a maybe it will work device. There are just too many better options out there. Take a look at the Innokin Proton, and GeekVape Aegis Legend for starters. As JF mentioned look around and find a few you like then come back and ask what real users think of them.

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
The tanks themselves are really good. But smoks coils are just .... so .... bad. Well Let's rephrase that. At least 1/2 of the coils are just .... so ... bad ...
This information is wrong. I use Smok tanks and coils all the time and rarely get one that's bad. I have several Smok tanks of all shapes and sizes. The Prince coils have leaked a little one me at first but they last and perform solid.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
This information is wrong. I use Smok tanks and coils all the time and rarely get one that's bad. I have several Smok tanks of all shapes and sizes. The Prince coils have leaked a little one me at first but they last and perform solid.
I'm just speaking from my experiences. A year ago when I purchased my 2 smok mods I used the prefabs just so I didn't feel wasteful. I got 4 coils for the baby-x and only 1 of them was any good. One of them was a good for about a day, and the other two tasted like sh*t right out of the gate. I've used enough smok coils in the past to know how to prime them correctly so that wasn't the issue. If you have a different experience I respect that, because I still, somewhat, defend the quality of the Alien against all odds. Just trying to throw out information for others to absorb :D

Just Frank

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I'm just speaking from my experiences. A year ago when I purchased my 2 smok mods I used the prefabs just so I didn't feel wasteful. I got 4 coils for the baby-x and only 1 of them was any good. One of them was a good for about a day, and the other two tasted like sh*t right out of the gate. I've used enough smok coils in the past to know how to prime them correctly so that wasn't the issue. If you have a different experience I respect that, because I still, somewhat, defend the quality of the Alien against all odds. Just trying to throw out information for others to absorb :D
I feel ya on the X baby. I think the coils are pretty terrible lol. The one I was trying worked for me, I just didn't care for it one bit. Out of all the Smok tanks I have, I dislike the X baby the most. The TFV4 micro and Spirals aren't that good either. The coils have worked fine for me, they just suck.

Buddha222

Chainvaping through the fog ....
VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
I did have a Baby Beast that stopped working. Several mods would throw error messages with it no matter what new coil I put into it

The little topfill hole is also a pain with some juice.

I still have some Smoke tanks, but now I usually get a Cleito or Crown III. Haven't had a problem with those yet.

chuck333

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
Sub ohm tanks are all hit and miss. You're relying on someone else to build your coils and wick them right. That's why I use an RTA. I can get 100 pre made coils for $6 and enough cotton to last a year or two for $4. I can get better results with this method than any factory subohm coils I've ever tried and I've tried many. There's a lot of great mods out there, Smoant comes to mind. Batteries are made by LG, Samsung and Sony. Stick with these to get consistent quality. Others could be of dubious quality.

mikeyboy74

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Smok tfv8 baby, big baby, and cloud beast tanks all have nice airflow, are comfortable to vape- and can use coils from other manufacturers with more consistent longevity.

Uwell- Crown 3- solid tank. My experience so far is the coils will last but don't vape as well after a week. Nunchaku is supposed to be good, and Crown 4 is coming soon. Uwell tanks are put together well.

Sense- Screen tank coming soon, great reviews so far, for what that's worth. Sense has had ups and downs, but their og Herakles was/is good enough to keep people interested in each new release.

FreeMax- all of their tanks are well machined and nice to own and use. I don't think their coils are all they've been hyped to be, but I prefer their tanks over the Horizon Falcon. The og small Fireluke Mesh has most consistent coils.

I would not get Smok mods- 50/50 that it will have a long life, and safety issues are occasionally reported.

Mods- I've had good luck with Smoant and Asmodus among the many I've owned. Never had a Vaporesso Revenger/x, but their track record is decent enough.

Batteries- best all around- Sony VTC5. Good runner-up- Samsung 25R. LG HG2, and a couple of their others in the 2500 mah range, are decent enough too.

WPMac

Silver Contributor
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
The Smok tfv8 baby, big baby, and cloud beast tanks all have nice airflow, are comfortable to vape- and can use coils from other manufacturers with more consistent longevity.

Uwell- Crown 3- solid tank. My experience so far is the coils will last but don't vape as well after a week. Nunchaku is supposed to be good, and Crown 4 is coming soon. Uwell tanks are put together well.

Sense- Screen tank coming soon, great reviews so far, for what that's worth. Sense has had ups and downs, but their og Herakles was/is good enough to keep people interested in each new release.

FreeMax- all of their tanks are well machined and nice to own and use. I don't think their coils are all they've been hyped to be, but I prefer their tanks over the Horizon Falcon. The og small Fireluke Mesh has most consistent coils.

I would not get Smok mods- 50/50 that it will have a long life, and safety issues are occasionally reported.

Mods- I've had good luck with Smoant and Asmodus among the many I've owned. Never had a Vaporesso Revenger/x, but their track record is decent enough.

Batteries- best all around- Sony VTC5. Good runner-up- Samsung 25R. LG HG2, and a couple of their others in the 2500 mah range, are decent enough too.
For my vape style, the biggest problem with the VCT5 and the 25R is the battery life. Depending on the wattage you vape at 2500mah goes quick. I'm partial to the HG2 and OhmLife due to their higher mah. Also the OhmLife's are a proven 20.7 cdr giving a little bit of extra headroom for your coils.

VU Sponsors