Become a Patron!

What was the most difficult thing to do in the military?

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
FROM FRONT TO REAR... COUNT OFF!!!!!

seriously... they trusted me with a 2034478487234782 million dollar MLRS launcher but we couldn't count to 10...

so whats up everyone. Dustin here. Army veteran, been out since 2010 2 tours. young, beat up and feeling old I turned to vaping as a way to improve at least 1 aspect of my health. been working on it for a while and finally got a setup that feels good and works properly.

been vaping for about a month now and already feel better. no longer buying smokes and no longer craving smokes... but I never put my box down. guess that's the next thing to work on lol

Last edited by a moderator:

CgS_Drone

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

Ex Navy, while the Navy has no problem with lvl'ing someone because of time in service I would have to say the most difficult thing was having to take orders from someone that had no clue what they where doing.

In the Navy you where not allowed to repair anything unless you had training for that specific piece of equipment and we had one guy that had some rank on me, one day I came into the shop to find him hammering away on a piece of equipment trying to get it to come apart (hint it didn't come apart that way and one shot from a hammer destroys it, the tolerances are in the thousands ). I asked him what he was doing and he told me to shut up and not worry about it so I grabbed a cup of coffee and took a seat to watch, about 10 minutes later the chief, our officer and the XO walk in. The chief instantly melts down as he see's the hammer hit the shaft on this piece knowing it is toast and starts yelling at me since he knew I was trained in repairing it, I explained to him that the damage was done before I got there and was told to shut up.

I got to be the "lucky one" that had to rebuild it right. Moral of the story, if you know what you are doing and trained to do it right, you get to stay late and fix shit someone else broke while they get to go ashore, learn to take one step back if they ask for a volunteer and don't say shit unless they are asking you directly.

fratervapor

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The system I was working on in the mid/late 80s was only deployed about a month before I got to my first duty station. That meant that by definition anyone who had been in long enough to attain a leadership position had no idea what we were doing. Literrally only us kids coming directly from training had any idea how it worked. To make matters worse, they put our tactical nuke unit under Field Artillery so we had old school "gun bunnies" running the show. Good guys, but very Old Army and we were part of the oncoming technical New Army. Tensions could run high but we generally dealt with it by buying each other mass quantities of beer down at the local gasthaus.

Anyhow we were working on a pad (training area but real motors) and a first stage was being pulled out of the container and onto the assembly platform. IIRC a PFC was operating the crane and an E2 private was ground guiding.

Everything was going by the manual, slowly, precisely, carefully.

So we got a new platoon captain recently who was highly impressed with himself and eager to make his name known. He would do that quickly enough. Despite having no knowledge on the system or the procedures he yelled at the privates for being so slow (ie, doing it right).

He grabbed the shoulder-mount crane controls off the PFC and started flinging the multi-ton motor around. We scattered to avoid crushing and the possibility of ignition.* He ended up smacking it into the ground. They had to call in the manufacturers who flew it back to the states for inspection (like magnaflux for solid propellant stages) and sent us another one. Cost the taxpayers around $2million for his little stunt. And thus his name was made.

frater vapor
15E
A 2/9th (nee 1/41st) FA, 1984-1988

*a first stage had ignited on the ground (different unit) shortly before and killed some guys. We didn't think the motor would ignite but the research wasn't in on the accident yet so we were skittish

WraZa21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hardest thing in the Military for me was Moving 30 minutes Early to a EO Briefing that started 1 hour later; and not to mention it was a Last minute Decision by our CO after a week in the Field... How the Whole Battery Was Pissed

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
One of the hardest things for me was dealing with the attitude that if the soldier is ate up, so is their leader, it made it real difficult for me to want to get my stripes. For instance, when I was still in promotable status I was put in charge of a group of soldiers and I was informed that one who just arrived in country (Germany) earlier that week was to be my soldier as well. She was 19, and fresh out of AIT, and her first weekend there she goes out with a bunch of people and gets so ridiculously drunk she was passed out and unresponsive in a puddle of puke in the women's room at a local club and someone called an ambulance. Sunday morning I have 1SG hollering at me asking me why the fuck this new 'cruit was so ridiculously drunk and how it reflects poorly on my leadership. Monday morning after PT and morning formation I'm standing in SGM's office being asked the same shit. Girl hadn't even been there a week and it's somehow my fault she went and got so ridiculously drunk she had to get her stomach pumped. And that's only one example.

WraZa21

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
One of the hardest things for me was dealing with the attitude that if the soldier is ate up, so is their leader, it made it real difficult for me to want to get my stripes. For instance, when I was still in promotable status I was put in charge of a group of soldiers and I was informed that one who just arrived in country (Germany) earlier that week was to be my soldier as well. She was 19, and fresh out of AIT, and her first weekend there she goes out with a bunch of people and gets so ridiculously drunk she was passed out and unresponsive in a puddle of puke in the women's room at a local club and someone called an ambulance. Sunday morning I have 1SG hollering at me asking me why the fuck this new 'cruit was so ridiculously drunk and how it reflects poorly on my leadership. Monday morning after PT and morning formation I'm standing in SGM's office being asked the same shit. Girl hadn't even been there a week and it's somehow my fault she went and got so ridiculously drunk she had to get her stomach pumped. And that's only one example.
Damn Well the fresh soldiers who get stationed overseas usually Fuck up quick but learn quick; But 1SG and SGM damn man those Situations suck, personally I hate when the CO calls you in with 1SG there waiting for the CO to leave and make everything less formal.

rickycal78

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Damn Well the fresh soldiers who get stationed overseas usually Fuck up quick but learn quick; But 1SG and SGM damn man those Situations suck, personally I hate when the CO calls you in with 1SG there waiting for the CO to leave and make everything less formal.

Part of it was the SGM we had at the time, he was a very hands on type. Lots of layouts, barracks and motorpool walk throughs. We were also a battalion that was in the field close to 5 months out of the year if we weren't deployed and he liked to visit even the remote sites now and then. He wasn't a bad SGM but he liked to have his nose in everything.

Melvang

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey guys, Navy vet here. Was in from 02-07. I just did my 5 and got out as an AM2. Highest advancement rate anytime I took a test was 17%. So I though I did good to make E5 without ever studying the book stuff, or kissing ass for an eval. I just showed up, did my work, and went home.

As a group, the hardest part was boot camp. I personally thought it was nothing but a 2 month head game. No big deal, I never took anything personal, just did as I was told. But I was in a 900 division. For the graduation ceremony, we did colors guard, among other stuff at the ceremony. But our division was about half nuclear rates, the other half was drug waivers. We couldn't march our way out of a wet paper bag.

I think the hardest part personally was keeping a positive attitude when I had a better work ethic, knew more about my job on our platform, H-60 Seahawk, and never got in trouble, but had low evals because I didn't kiss ass.

Either way, I enjoyed my time in, the ports I visited, the job, but it just got to much with the office politics, so I got out at the end of my enlistment. The only thing that would have gotten me to stay in would have been if my wife had gotten pregnant.

Fukitol

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Army veteran here, 21M(firefighter) here. I honestly thought the hardest part of my MOS was being attached to an ammo company. There were a whopping 10 of us within the company and we were the blacks sheep of the unit. Constantly had a microscope on us during inspections and motor pool days. Our regular duty days we worked the fire house with the civ FFers and worked their schedule, which was a 24/48 shift, and we would constantly have to deal their BS of getting pissed off when one of us was on shift and not at a practice PT test. Working a large wildland Fire and having Article 15 threatened because we were not at a safety briefing.

Things got better when our ssg was put into the PSG position. He would go to bat everyday and eventually got it to where we only worked the shift at station with PT being the soldiers responsibility, but a fail meant you got pulled back to the unit

hotrod351

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
for me it keeping from freezing to death while playing army in the field in Germany. ill never forget kicked back in the field and shivering, and shivering, and shivering, then all the sudden i didnt feel that cold anymore and started to fall asleep. ever since ive had a hard time dealing with the cold.

crazysgt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I would say for me and my experience, E1-E5 was most probably like most who served. Had dumbass private thoughts and actions. When I made SGT level, I thought it would be so much better....but honestly, not really. Had to keep my subordinates squared away. Plus, keep the E4 mafia in check. E6-E8 for me was much more difficult. Keeping standards up, training newly promoted NCOs on how to mentor. 1SG, IMHO, is the hardest rank as far as duties and responsibilities. Between disciplinary, morale, NCO development, and right hand of the CO usually, your day is full of other soldier's issues. Wouldn't take any of it back though.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Retired Navy. I think the hardest part for me was being gone from my family. In a 20 year career I was gone for almost 9 years. Schools, and courses were just something you got through.

crazysgt

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Retired Navy. I think the hardest part for me was being gone from my family. In a 20 year career I was gone for almost 9 years. Schools, and courses were just something you got through.
Absolutely! 2 kids born during my time. One I didn't touch until he was almost 2. Rough times then.

Bucky205

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Absolutely! 2 kids born during my time. One I didn't touch until he was almost 2. Rough times then.
Sarge, I think you will agree. I will add burying friends to that. Harder than even being gone, you just try to not remember.

Vapin4Joy

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Ex Army here, for me, I will always remember the cadence.
Count off, count off, The enemy is wearing black, shoot him first, he won't shoot back, count off 1,2,3,4!
The hard part, I can't forget.

DIY FancyLights

Member For 4 Years
Army 33S stationed for 3 years in Germany at a large NSA listening post during the cold war before the wall came down. Here we're highly trained and expected to fix almost any electronics they threw at as, but still had the idiotic Army requirements of having to be a soldier first, technician second when it came to getting promoted. Many a tech left after their minimum 4 years to get a good job. Half the ones the re-enlisted were the bottom of the crop who were good soldiers but not very good at their jobs.

At list the CW3 and SGT's running the shop knew who had the skill they needed and who didn't

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ex-Army here. Was stationed in Germany in a large Data Center as a Mainframe Computer Operator. We had a CO who was a spit and polish type. He was not technical, I doubt he could use a calculator with any positive outcome. He ordered us to polish the floor of the Data Center because it was "filthy". Myself and 4 other Technical SGT's told him we could not do it because the floors were anti-static tiles, designed to stop static build up (lethal to computers) and that doing so would compromise the safety of the Data Center. The son of a bitch brought all of us up on article 92 charges. None of us were formally charged, but that crap still pisses me off to this day.

Dtackett5

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ex-Army here. Was stationed in Germany in a large Data Center as a Mainframe Computer Operator. We had a CO who was a spit and polish type. He was not technical, I doubt he could use a calculator with any positive outcome. He ordered us to polish the floor of the Data Center because it was "filthy". Myself and 4 other Technical SGT's told him we could not do it because the floors were anti-static tiles, designed to stop static build up (lethal to computers) and that doing so would compromise the safety of the Data Center. The son of a bitch brought all of us up on article 92 charges. None of us were formally charged, but that crap still pisses me off to this day.
gotta love it.

FAsoldier85

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
13 Bravo. The literal definition of pull string go boom but rest assured somehow someway somewhere, there's "THAT" guy messing it up from forgetting a weapon in the field or deciding to be a hero and chase tail after a strict lights out policy set forth by the bars and stars in Ft. Drum, to even all the senior NCO's getting articles for joy riding a HUMVEE out to burger king...

five.five-six

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I don't think we really would need an army if we wern't starting wars all over the world.

SOC

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hardest thing for me in the USAF was the damn 9mm pistol quals. M16 - no problem. 9mil - we just did not get along. I think I qualified on the first attempt one time.

Ding

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hardest thing for me is to not remember,it never leaves ya alone.

Last edited:

FAsoldier85

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee

Ex Navy, while the Navy has no problem with lvl'ing someone because of time in service I would have to say the most difficult thing was having to take orders from someone that had no clue what they where doing.

In the Navy you where not allowed to repair anything unless you had training for that specific piece of equipment and we had one guy that had some rank on me, one day I came into the shop to find him hammering away on a piece of equipment trying to get it to come apart (hint it didn't come apart that way and one shot from a hammer destroys it, the tolerances are in the thousands ). I asked him what he was doing and he told me to shut up and not worry about it so I grabbed a cup of coffee and took a seat to watch, about 10 minutes later the chief, our officer and the XO walk in. The chief instantly melts down as he see's the hammer hit the shaft on this piece knowing it is toast and starts yelling at me since he knew I was trained in repairing it, I explained to him that the damage was done before I got there and was told to shut up.

I got to be the "lucky one" that had to rebuild it right. Moral of the story, if you know what you are doing and trained to do it right, you get to stay late and fix shit someone else broke while they get to go ashore, learn to take one step back if they ask for a volunteer and don't say shit unless they are asking you directly.
Hell yes..

wally

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Bad thing about it is there is always one of them around.

Ding

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Time

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hands down the hardest part for me,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, fighting someone elses war.

Not PC, but true.

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
One of the bad thing now that I look at it, was being able to buy a carton of smokes for $8 at the PX. Since it was in Germany, there was Cuban cigars to be had too, under the counter of course due to the embargo, but they were always available. I was always hit up for a pack of smokes by the German civilians, mostly women who were *ahem* women who liked men for recompense.

Ding

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
the rules of engagement is for idjuts.turn us loose and let us get the job done.we made our rules in my day,if the new butter bars had other ideas,they didn't last long.the ones that lasted and made it home and kept lives,listened to the NCO's who had time in country

Renoyote

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
During 20 years in The navy, not during war time except for Desert Storm and Desert Shield, I would have to say one of the mot difficult things I had to do was put up with brand new Ensigns straight out of the academy without doing them physical harm... psychological mayhem was just a given though...

Ex Army, 25B. I think the hardest part for me was my 2nd deployment, in an infantry battalion in 3ID, to Ramadi. About a year before, at the beginning of my 4th year in service, my PSG (a 25U Ranger out of 75th Ranger Regt who knew as much about 25-series MOS's as your standard 11B) was briefing our BN CO on our equipment and capabilities in preparation to go to NTC in Fort Irwin, and just getting it all wrong. Luckily he had asked me to attend. I tried playing nice, with things such as "Maybe I didn't word that correctly, what I meant to say in my report was... " and "My apologies sergeant, what I meant was... ". After about the 12th time, I asked "Sergeant, did you even read my report?". Literally, every single figure and bullet point he was presenting was incorrect. The CO, who was on the list to get full bird at any moment, looked at him (an E7) and said "Well, there Sergeant First Class, looks like I have the wrong person running the show. Who should be training who?". I was a specialist, and the Automations team lead in the BN S6, with 2 guys (another E4 25B who had reclassed to that MOS very recently from a Tanker, and an E2 25U fresh out of AIT) under me. From that day forward (circa February 2010), he was trying to get me demoted. He passed 12 field grade Article 15's to the CO's desk for various nit-pick reasons, and all were thrown out, then he tried Company grade, and thrown out, and Summarized, and thrown out. The leadership knew who did the real work in the unit, and who did all the training for my section, and the others in S6 who wanted to cross-train. In fact, when I went to the promotion board, my only question was "Why do you want to be an NCO?". I answered, and they told me to leave.

When we deployed in July of 2010, he had me working from 0700 until 0200 every day. My only good side was he gave me off from 1100 to 1300 to go to the gym and eat lunch. Between mid October and the beginning of December, I had overslept and missed work call formation 4 times. My latest was 11 minutes (which means I arrived at 0701, because he said if you arrive less than 10 minutes prior, you're late). After the 4th counseling statement, he presented my BN CO with Field grade Article 15, which was thrown out. He then took it to the company CO, who accepted it. Our CO was a new CPT who had been an S3 officer before getting his second bar. Before the hearing, he called me into his office and had my PSG and PL wait outside. He asked me what was going on, and I explained that I had worked 17 hours a day, 7 days a week for the past 6 months, and I overslept 4 times. He said he was going to have the hearing and throw it out, but I asked him not to. I said I was ETS'ing within the year, and that if this is what it would take to get him off my back and satisfy his need for revenge, I was glad to do it. There was no way I was staying in. Then we went outside, where we were called in and had the formal hearing. I was asked if I had anything to say, and I didn't. I had 14 days restriction to base (which meant no more convoys to Turiq, TQ, or Fallujah to solve their problems), 14 days extra duty from 1800 to 2200. This was a blessing, because it was ordered that I was off duty after extra duty, which meant I got 4 extra hours off. And a loss of 1 rank, but no forfeiture of pay. We went outside and my PSG ripped off my E4 rank and slapped on my E3 rank, and said "I've been waiting a long time to do this. It's just a shame I'm having to put something else back on here instead of leaving you a fuzzy". I just smiled and said "Karma's a bitch, s'arnt". I later come to find out he had removed the firing pin from my weapon for that statement. I didn't know until the end of deployment questionnaire, when he asked "Have you ever had your firing pin or bolt confiscated", and I said no, and he said "Uh, yeah you did".

Fast forward 8 months. He applies to be a warrant officer in my field, 255A, and gets accepted. He leaves for training. Shortly thereafter, I'm outprocessing the Army, and it comes to my commander's attention that I'm signed for 18 missing radios. I asked why I would sign for radios, that was the 25U's department. DA2062's were produced, signed for receipt in my name, but it wasn't my signature. Turns out, the old PSG had forged my signature (rather badly) so that he could outprocess for training. I produced every document I could find that I had signed, including my contract from MEPS, recruiter documents, other 2062's, and counseling statements. They looked at them and it was nowhere near the same. PSG was recalled, and demoted to E4, and had to pay for the radios. The day I finaled out, me and a couple friends went to a bar, where we ran into him outside. I said "Oh, hello Mr. <Last Name>! How was Warrant Officer School?" and he said "No, it's just <Last Name>, Private First Class". "Nah, I'm not a PFC anymore, I'm a civilian, Specialist. Remember what I said? Karma's a bitch"

Never saw him again after that

--edits--
accidentally said I deployed July 2015

Last edited:
2 things for me, AF vet 12 years in service, first was trying to do my job despite the AF getting in the way, the second was put best by Martin sheen in apocalypse now, to paraphrase " when I was in country all I could think about was home, when I was home all I could think about was getting back"
When the shrinks grounded me after my last trip to the sandbox, I was chained to a desk. It was the worst thing they could have done, I couldn't do my real job, and I wasn't allowed to travel. I left the AF shortly thereafter and have yet to put my very unique skill set to use. But enough whining, my brother got me turned on to vaping, and I must say I prefer it to analog cigarettes. I am not completely off of them yet, but I think I will be shortly. I still fucking hate shrinks though.

MEENMAN83

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I would say Casaulty affairs sucks. The worst is being injured and being able to do what you used to do. Other than that I loved those I served with. I will say my last year before I was medically retired was hideous they turned the AF into a Fortune 500 company. I will just say you had to hold hands amd make sure no one was upset even if they were a dirtbag.

Last thing were the suicide and sexual assault safety briefings. You would sit through an 8 hour suicide prevention briefing and people would be so bored theyd rape someone's leg. Then you rolled right into a sexual assault briefing and during that death by power point briefing someone would open a vein and you would roll right into another suicide prevent briefing lol....

Baddnewzz

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Navy has a saying that the only authorized break is a Smoke break. We laugh at it since it meant as joke, but since i don't smoke analogs anymore, the hardest thing for me is to have to walk to the "smoke deck" just to vape. I am so tempted to just smoke in the piece and quiet of my space at times, but im sure my CPO wouldn't like that too much lol.

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hardest thing?
Not choking all the ensigns! Damn kids think 4 years at the academy taught them how to be Maverick!

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Funny story, I had an Ensign tell me yesterday "Chief, I don't think Im good for much today."
In my best Clint Eastwood voice, I replied: "That's about all we expect from you. You are an Ensign"

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hardest thing for me to do was being the CACO. Telling a family your loved one wasn't coming home. The look they give you stays with you.

sclobernocker47

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
No doubt. Jokes aside, nobody enjoys that.
I ran search and rescue in the FL Keys for years (Avatar is my car in Key West), and we unfortunately had deaths routinely. Its hard enough to lose someone, but having to tell a wife and kids during what they thought was the vacation of a lifetime, that dad wasnt coming home... It sticks with you. All you can do is focus on lives saved vs the lives lost, but it still eats at you.

ayersbj

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes it does. Especially when it is completely a shock. Most of my notifications were of brave men on deployment in combat. Still is hard to accept but families knew where their loved ones were and what they were there for. Stationed at a Weapons Test Squadron in california I had the unfortunate but priviledged task of notifying a couple families when the service men passed in training. Those were the worst. The men had just come home from 16 months in Kosovo. Days later die in an accident on base. The shock and disbelief and anger with the compounding feeling of the helplessness that I couldn't help them any more then what I was doing.

Navy here, made it to HT3 after 7 years, (i dont kiss a$$ for evals) Shout out to all the FFG boys. 3 deployments got messed up, got out, going to school. life is good

kevin littell

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Hardest thing for me in the Navy 80-86 was two fold. ONE: taking orders from someone who had no clue what we were doing ( a reoccurring theme here) and TWO: I had some talent. Give me a set of prints and proper test equipment and I could make anything SING and keep it that way long haul. In a division of 17 there were 3 of us that kept the whole Comm. Suite running and the search radars searching. Having to fix the fuck-ups of the other 14 or just keep them out of OUR equipment got old. REAL OLD....

For me, boot was a breeze, the Senior officers on the boat stayed out of our way cause they liked running radars and radios and the one PITA E-7 learned quickly that if he wanted the OPS boss off his ass leave us alone.(He had to learn the hard way though.)

Then I went to shore duty and was a watch section leader for 17 ET's...of which 5 were pregnant and I was the only one who had ever been too sea.
Between the whining about the rotating shifts and the hormone overload I got disgusted, got out and went to work in Corporate America....

And I'm still dealing with managers that don't know the difference between their sphincter and a terrain depression and a whole 16 floor office building full of whiny hormonal idiots...

the bullshit is the same everywhere ya go, some places just pay a little better!

Mikhail Naumov

VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
Unlisted Vendor
Deployment wise, checkpoint duty. Will not go into detail, anybody who served in the ME knows how fucking horrible that shit is. Also, when I was on EOD as security, sometimes when we got to the hot site shit didn't go as planned. Those people don't care who they hurt, even their own people, children, doesn't matter. Don't care who you are, how thick your skin is, it's shit you never get used to.

Outside of deployment, white glove checks. You can clean, and obsess, and clean, but you're never really prepared. I also just slept on top of a made bunk to avoid grief over rack specs.

Another thing that wasn't exactly fantastic is when the rest of your regiment is taking part in O:EF and you're miles away doing grunt work. Amazing how often that happened. (Being in Kabul when you're stationed elsewhere, I shared this 'honor' with a few other jarheads. You're stationed in Helmand but yet your TOUR of duty ends up becoming a literal fucking tour. I spent more time outside Marjah and Garmsir then I did there. Camp Dwyer, I'll never know you like I was meant to, it's a shame you're gone with the 3rd/9th.)

Also, not sure of how this went for other middle east vets, but on our side there were more than a few guys who ran quite a lucrative little 'business' smuggling in shit for both civilians over there and jarheads. It's hard to see the money those guys make and not envy it, it also sucks when the CO is in on it and an LT is running it. Not dropping names, to those of the 3rd Battalion 9th Regiment Marines who served just before it was retired, you know who I'm talking about.

Last edited:

VU Sponsors