Become a Patron!

What type of builds are you using in your Temperature Control Device

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Loving my Melon Boba from Good Life Vapor on SX mini M class in a Madhatter rda. Dual coil, twisted 30 ni200 on a 2.5mm rod. 415degree @ 20J. It barely fits, but its awesome. This thing has replaced my Marquis as my favorite RDA
sx mini m and madhatter.jpg

Valkyrie

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
just a lowly kanger subtank plus...
nickel 200 occ coil...
22.5 J / 390*...huckleberry lemonade

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Single coil, 28 gauge, 12 wraps Ni200, with cellucotton wicks in all my atomizers. I've given up on dual-coil builds - too much work for marginally better results at best.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Twisted 28g tightly twisted single coil 6 wrap around 3.5mm rod .1 ohm. Usually for my lemo and RDA's

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Single coil, 28 gauge, 12 wraps Ni200, with cellucotton wicks in all my atomizers. I've given up on dual-coil builds - too much work for marginally better results at best.

I actually prefer single coil. But unfortunately, the Mad Hatter doesn't have single coil air hole so I'm forced to use dual coil. It's my favorite rda so I deal with it. Hopefully they come out with a single coil version

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I actually prefer single coil. But unfortunately, the Mad Hatter doesn't have single coil air hole so I'm forced to use dual coil. It's my favorite rda so I deal with it. Hopefully they come out with a single coil version

Just plug up the unused hole, or cover it up with tape. I do that with all my three-post atomizers that don't offers a single coil configuration in the airflow ring - unless it makes the draw too tight for me.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
FINALLY got my 26g nickel and for single coil builds im in love! 3.5mm 10 wrap .10 ohm and finally a vape that's full and dense without twisting wire.

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No pun intended,...but I'm on the wire on the subject of temperature control/ nickel builds. I need more edumaction on the subject. Someone said nickel is softer wire and can be a pain. I can deal with it, but is the whole temp control thing like night and day?

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Just plug up the unused hole, or cover it up with tape. I do that with all my three-post atomizers that don't offers a single coil configuration in the airflow ring - unless it makes the draw too tight for me.

Doesn't the tape melt from the heat of the atomizer? I thought about using tape or plugging a hole with hot glue but was concerned about the heat doing something

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
No pun intended,...but I'm on the wire on the subject of temperature control/ nickel builds. I need more edumaction on the subject. Someone said nickel is softer wire and can be a pain. I can deal with it, but is the whole temp control thing like night and day?

Temperature control is awesome. Once you get the hang of nickel it's really great vape. But temperature control isn't really meant for people who are trying to blow competition clouds. It gives really nice vapor and flavor. It stops you from heating the eliquid beyond safe temps where you can get carbonals. Best part is you never get a dry hit. No more burnt cotton.

On a dripper is where it really shines. You can seriously vape a sick completely dry, not burn the cotton, not get a dry scratchy hit and then change flavors without rewicking. I own 3 temperature control devices and never run them in kanthal .

The Nickel is softer, but it's not that hard to work with. Biggest difference is that you need a few more wraps than you're used to and the best results are with spaced coils

GrayVaper

Drips in Public
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Kinda sounds like my realm then. I'm a flavor guy and could give a rat's ass about clouds.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Love 26g gives all I missed about nichrome and kanthal
e2f4f29904a79d82a4c058c3652cb4d2.jpg

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Love 26g gives all I missed about nichrome and kanthal
e2f4f29904a79d82a4c058c3652cb4d2.jpg

I tried your build last night after reading this and you're right. This is awesome. Works great in my tugboat. Also made it for one of my kayfun v4. It only took 8 wraps in there and it fit perfect

It won't fit in my favorite rda which is the marquis, but I'll just use my twisted 32 gauge in that one

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I tried your build last night after reading this and you're right. This is awesome. Works great in my tugboat. Also made it for one of my kayfun v4. It only took 8 wraps in there and it fit perfect

It won't fit in my favorite rda which is the marquis, but I'll just use my twisted 32 gauge in that one
Twisted 28 and single.strand 26g single coils is where its at. Those thinner gauges just heat up to quickly and vape anemic.

Last edited:

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I only have 28g ni200, but depends if I'm building for my DNA40, or SX M, twisted 28g for the SX M, plain ole single spaced 28g coils for the DNA 40.

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Found an awesome solution to use 26g ni200 in a single coil on my mad hatter rda. I put two pieces of a lollipop stick in the second airhole. Works well and can be removed easily if I want to run dual coil
a5e5f5491eba13a11099ea564130fc9c.jpg

Mroutlaw

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Experimenting with a chimney build on a kayfun v4. 6/7 spaced wraps of 28gauge ni200 around a 14 gauge syringe needle, shorter lead on the positive side. Comes in at .15ohms.

The flavor is awesome and lots of vapor.

205a46f62fe757173ead1cf9cdb2d75d.jpg

I just recently got a Vaporshark rDNA 40 and have been loving the temperature control. I've only done two nickel builds, both single coils, so far and both have worked really well. Now I'm trying out the Kanger Ni200 OCC replacement coils with my Subtank mini and I'm loving the flavor i get off these also.

My first build was on my Subtank mini using 28g Ni200 11/10 wrap with an i.d. of 3mm if I remember correctly and a resistance of 0.18 ohms.
image.jpg

My second build was done in my mutation x v3 using 28g Ni200 wrapped 10 times with an i.d. of 2.4mm and a resistance of 0.15 ohms. Vaping at 430F at 30 watts.
image.jpg

Dave Sak

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
[QUO's a good looking build on the mutation how is the vap? TE="kmw_216, post: 445925, member: 21693"]I just recently got a Vaporshark rDNA 40 and have been loving the temperature control. I've only done two nickel builds, both single coils, so far and both have worked really well. Now I'm trying out the Kanger Ni200 OCC replacement coils with my Subtank mini and I'm loving the flavor i get off these also.

My first build was on my Subtank mini using 28g Ni200 11/10 wrap with an i.d. of 3mm if I remember correctly and a resistance of 0.18 ohms.
View attachment 19969

My second build was done in my mutation x v3 using 28g Ni200 wrapped 10 times with an i.d. of 2.4mm and a resistance of 0.15 ohms. Vaping at 430F at 30 watts.
View attachment 19970[/QUOTE]
That

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Doesn't the tape melt from the heat of the atomizer? I thought about using tape or plugging a hole with hot glue but was concerned about the heat doing something

My freak show is from the first run where it didn't offer a single coil option. When I'm on the sxm I run it in dual; because I do prefer a dual coil build. But; the Rdna is just shy of having enough power to push that so I pug a hole of the freakshow with cotton to run it in single coil and that seems to work swell.

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I will be finding out for myself shortly.

Just received the Heatvape Invader and it has the Temp Control option so when my wire arrives I shall see what I shall see.

Or I shall vape what I shall vape.

Or I will vape what I see

Or I will build a coil and vape with a beer.

One of those things anyway.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Mako with dual coil 26g ni200 at 3mm gave me a 0.08...
temporary_zpst4rpbyzn.jpg

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

@Mroutlaw here is my Marquis 26g 10 wrap 4mm only thing its a .06 so it runs perfect on my ipv4 dna40 won't cut it
f2cb66a021ce3e7dff16f308f9448ce9.jpg

cardassian

Member For 4 Years
Gutted. Can't get anywhere near the flavour in temp control that I get with kanthal. Getting a weak vape and a metallic taste in temp control. Just went back to my twisted 26 gauge kanthal dual coil build and it tastes so good. Will get some other nickel wire, have 26 gauge atm, and try some other builds. So far not liking the temp control though.

LetTheLuckRoll

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Gutted. Can't get anywhere near the flavour in temp control that I get with kanthal. Getting a weak vape and a metallic taste in temp control. Just went back to my twisted 26 gauge kanthal dual coil build and it tastes so good. Will get some other nickel wire, have 26 gauge atm, and try some other builds. So far not liking the temp control though.
some one told me you got to crank up the temp to get a good vape.try around 500 550 and turn up the watts

cardassian

Member For 4 Years
Ok so I've got it producing good vapor now, but struggling to get the flavour of regular twisted builds. Any help would be appreciated.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years

The bell never gets hot enough to melt tape. If it did, you'd burn yourself touching it too.

Hot glue would work too. I use toothpicks too sometimes: jam it in the hole, break off the ends and trim flush with an exacto knife. The result is usually very clean-looking. Not that I care about how it looks though...

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
How many wraps is that f1r3b1rd? Are those coils spaced?

I can't seem to get over .05ohms with dual coil 26g
That's 11/12 wraps spaced, either 3 or 3.5 mm screwdriver.-can't remember that pic is about 2.5wks old and the build is still going strong

OneLief

Unique and Ingenious Title
VU Donator
Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Temperature control is awesome. Once you get the hang of nickel it's really great vape. But temperature control isn't really meant for people who are trying to blow competition clouds. It gives really nice vapor and flavor. It stops you from heating the eliquid beyond safe temps where you can get carbonals. Best part is you never get a dry hit. No more burnt cotton.

On a dripper is where it really shines. You can seriously vape a sick completely dry, not burn the cotton, not get a dry scratchy hit and then change flavors without rewicking. I own 3 temperature control devices and never run them in kanthal .

The Nickel is softer, but it's not that hard to work with. Biggest difference is that you need a few more wraps than you're used to and the best results are with spaced coils

What temp are you Vaping? When I went over about 440, I started getting burned hits.

Sent from my 710C using Tapatalk

Reactions: dre

inswva

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Couple of Ni200 builds... both running on the IPV4.

Origen V3 single vert, 28ga - crazy flavor at 28J, 390F

cAM1N5c.jpg

And, the Billow V2 I'm reviewing... 30ga tempered, 2.5mm, 10 wrap duals, 0.09Ω, 400F, 35J

I just ripped the Ni200 build out of my Marquis but it was pretty awesome as well.

dre

Platinum Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
24g titanium dual coil .11 on the ipv3 Li @ 72j 480°
2efd1486dc15493ebf41cbc3e90d80bd.jpg

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

Kay_Fun!

Mad Scientist
VU Donator
Member For 4 Years
Nickel coil builds- since we aren't supposed to dry burn them, do you just rebuild when they get gunky, or is there another option to clean the coil?

Durka

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know we are not supposed to dry fire nickel but I watched the most recent rip trippers nickel Clapton build and he dry fired the coils. Why is it bad? Can you only dry fire claptons? I'm so confused.

thunderdan

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I know we are not supposed to dry fire nickel but I watched the most recent rip trippers nickel Clapton build and he dry fired the coils. Why is it bad? Can you only dry fire claptons? I'm so confused.
People worry about the presence of nickel oxides formed by glowing the coils/dry burning. Apparently Rip doesn't worry about such things.

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Rip is still looking for all his chromosomes

Cc9fingers

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Found an awesome solution to use 26g ni200 in a single coil on my mad hatter rda. I put two pieces of a lollipop stick in the second airhole. Works well and can be removed easily if I want to run dual coil thanks for the idea.....i used sucker sticks and it is now my juice taster! !!!!!

MarkS

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Ok so I've got it producing good vapor now, but struggling to get the flavour of regular twisted builds. Any help would be appreciated.
I do a twisted build with 30 ga. Ni200 and 34 ga. annealed Kanthal. Both single and dual coil tightly spaced builds with 3 mm inside diameter. I use cellucotton as wicking. I haven't tried any others yet.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi all. Restarted vaping a week ago with a subtank plus RDA on 28g ni200 7 rounds giving flatuating ohm either 0.092 or 0.102 on an IPV4s. Temp set at 388F. Between 20-25J all is good. But when bring up to 26J onwards to chain vape, I start getting all the burnt taste. Is this normal?
The last time I vape was almost a yr ago on a SVD w nautilus using replacement atomizer. This is actually the 1st time attempt with rebuildable, nickel n temp control fyr

New to Ni200, how many wraps do I need to use double twisted on freak show single/dual I'm not that bothered just want to get it firing on my ivp any help will b great n tips on temp/joules....cheers

jefx

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
I use titanium grade 1 wire for temp control. The taste is so much better than Kanthal. Titanium 1 is all I use now. I use dual coil builds in a Goblin, a Cthulhu, and a Goliath 2.

I've found that the 3 post decks give very inconsistent results for titanium temp builds (I've never tried nickel cuz I don't like the idea of it). So I am using the Goliath 2 exclusively, and I will only purchase 2 post decks from now on.

BUDKISS

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I did a titanium alien wire. It was pretty amazing

VapingN252

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years

I'm starting to agree with this. I just got the cthulhu v2 rta with the single coil option and I honestly think that works better than two.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Tempered 26g Ni wire is about all I've been using for the past month or so. Single coil @ 0.065 to 0.07 ohm 2.5mm in a flavor atty is where I have found the best vape and flavor with using TC.
I'm not tossing my cloud chuckers, but they have been sitting in the same place they were last month :)

I usually vape between 380° and 400°, 35J to 42J with the single coil flavor atty build and am loving the hastur, in single coil there is a little resistance to your draw, more restrictive that most of the attys I've used in the past year. Plenty of flow to get nice clouds but I think they have put just the right amount for a good flavorful vape and not just going with the most flow possible.

This coil is about a week old vaping a variety of custards and fruit creams, second rayon wick pulled through it... 26g also holds it's shape much better than the dual coils I have built with 28g. Those are pretty much recoil if you need to rewick.
20150926_071146-1.jpg

Oh yeah, and on the flavor of nickel... take a napkin and toss some isopropyl on it, wipe the section of wire that your about to coil and look at the black streaks that are left till the shmutz has been removed. I have done that with all my wires and haven't had shitty taste from nickel, maybe I'm removing the shmutz that makes it taste like shit and people that think it tastes like poo aren't? You know they are not cleaning that wire after production, transportation & storage before throwing it on our little spools.

Last edited:

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Hi all. Restarted vaping a week ago with a subtank plus RDA on 28g ni200 7 rounds giving flatuating ohm either 0.092 or 0.102 on an IPV4s. Temp set at 388F. Between 20-25J all is good. But when bring up to 26J onwards to chain vape, I start getting all the burnt taste. Is this normal?
The last time I vape was almost a yr ago on a SVD w nautilus using replacement atomizer. This is actually the 1st time attempt with rebuildable, nickel n temp control fyr

Sounds like the wire is not snug and connection quality is fluctuating or something in the assembly of that rba base is not right.
If all connections are solid, resistance shouldn't fluctuate will not being fired.

All I got on that.

fq06

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
New to Ni200, how many wraps do I need to use double twisted on freak show single/dual I'm not that bothered just want to get it firing on my ivp any help will b great n tips on temp/joules....cheers

What wire do you have?
I don't do twisted so bump to someone that does.

Think of joules as speed to get to temp and temp as just that, the limit it will heat to.
Start with 35J and 375°. Start moving temp up till you get the vape temp and flavor where you want it and from there you can start bumping joules up to get the speed to temp where you want it.

At some point you may take temp down a little and leave joules alone like if you got up to 40J and liked it but its a bit warm and you take temp down 5° and that gets it just right for you.

Its just playing with it and finding where you like the settings.

PLANETGETLOW

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Ive mainly used titanium .5mm with GREAT results using various build. I just bought a 100' spool of NI200 that i couldnt pass up. It has nowhere near the flexibility for builds like titanium does.

I can run a dual triple twisted strand 10 wrap coils that come in around .07 which is a favorite.
Triple twisted coil 10 wraps 26g titanium @ .07.jpg

I have also did a triple stranded twisted 26g 12 @ .14
Triple strand dual parallel .26 = .14.jpg

For 26g nickel my only success is a 10 wrap that comes in around .09
Triple twisted coil 10 wraps 26g titanium @ .07.jpg Triple strand dual parallel .26 = .14.jpg 20151009_172623.jpg

Last edited:

VU Sponsors