Become a Patron!

What to use, .5 or 1.2 ohm OCC's?

Hey, this has probably been asked a thousand times, but I'm a rookie and want to do it right. Got a Kangertech Sub Box mini set up and was going to order some new coils, but really confused on what the difference will mean to me. Read that the .5 (sub ohming, I guess) will require a higher voltage and my 1.2's (have one in now, cranked to 18.5), but forgetting that difference, what will the difference be to me while vaping?

Also, since I'm already posting, I'm also a regular smoker and the vaping thing is two-fold for me: I like the process, the toys and the flavor, but it's also to quit smoking. With my setup as is, I've been told to not go over 6mg in juice or it will be harsh or overkill. Is this correct? If it were up to me, I'd be smoking the 24mg right now and then step down to try and give up cigs for good, but I heard that's a bad idea.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zamazam

Evil Vulcan's do it with Logic
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
As far as nic level goes, I'd start a bit higher at 12 or 18 since you are currently still smoking. The differences between the coils is that the .5 coil takes more power and produces a warmer vape. The 1.2 Ohm uses less power and is generally a cooler vape. I'd start off with the 1.2Ohm coils and get accustomed to using your new setup with a higher nic level to wean you off the smokes. Once you've made the switch, then begin lowering your nic level downwards. The goal is to prevent nic fits which will naturally make you want to spark up a smoke. Try either 12mg or 18mg, but not lung hitting much, more mouth to lung inhales. Set your tank to the second from the smallest airflow setting and get accustomed to mouth to lung with the higher nic levels. A lot of people may disagree with me, but the method worked for me. I used to smoke 2 packs of Camel straights a day and started off at 36mg nic 5 years ago, now I'm at 6 mg and moving downwards and don't have nic fits at all. Take it slow and enjoy.

Jasen

Member For 5 Years
What device are you using, your device must be rated to handle .5 ohm to use those coils. Also .5 ohm is designed to operate between 15 and 60 watts, 1.2 ohm 12 to 25 watts. From there it's just preference.

And welcome to VU and your new life

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What device are you using, your device must be rated to handle .5 ohm to use those coils. Also .5 ohm is designed to operate between 15 and 60 watts, 1.2 ohm 12 to 25 watts. From there it's just preference.

And welcome to VU and your new life

60 watts on a subtank 0.5ohm coil? I think not LOL Now on a crown, yes!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Just stating the facts ;)

I never go over 23 myself.
Facts from where? No way does Kangertech recommend 60 watts for the 0.5 coils! (But I'd be interested to see where you found this!)

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Make sure the mod can fire sub ohm builds for that .5 ohm coil..
Let all new coils, start low and bump up the watts to find your sweet spot..
About 28-32w works for me..
The 1.2 coil same thing..but I'd start at about 12w and bump up from there..about 20w max..

sent from my XT1080 via Tapatalk

Jasen

Member For 5 Years
Amanda I've only used the .5 horizontal coil that came with my tank, only bought the verts so I looked into it, the horizontal coils are 15-30 watts.

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Amanda I've only used the .5 horizontal coil that came with my tank, only bought the verts so I looked into it, the horizontal coils are 15-30 watts.

Yes - and they're pushing it at 30!

skeene

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
12 mg nic on a subtank would be quite high, I'm with the guy that told you 6 tops. maybe a little higher pg for the throat hit.

Saddletramp1200

Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I make juice sometimes that has no Nicotine at all. Never have worried about it. Cigarettes mean as much to me as bird shit on the side walk. I use 18mg for most blends. It's more of a "High" for me, than a need. I can go days without it. :cool:

kennjbroas

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
For .5 coils it shows you can run from 15-30W usually 27 max is when you MIGHT get a burnt taste. In my experience I like .5 better since it does provide a warmer vape and actually provides more vapor.

As for nic strength, imo depends what ratio your using. Again in my experience 50/50 with 6MG is harsh. Usually 65/35 with 6MG is perfect

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I know the OP doesn't appear to be commenting this thread anymore and it has been a while
So I am sure he found out...
Anything above 3 to 6mg on a sub ohm is going to be a lung killer.
But, everyone has to learn the hard way some times. I did. 12mg in a Kanger Subtank with stock .5ohm coil just about killed me.
I vape 3mg .5 to .8ohm at 35.5W (+/- 5-10W) in a TFv4.

The Kanthal I have is garbage, WULF SUB OHM, steer clear of it. It's Chinese garbage wire.
It's dirty and it tastes like crap even after cleaning it and dry burning. I was in a pinch and needed some, paid WAY too much for it.

I have a TFv4 Dual RTA deck coming so will be able to do a dual coil 26G NiChrome80 10 wraps each at .5ohm, seems to be my perfect go to.

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I know the OP doesn't appear to be commenting this thread anymore and it has been a while
So I am sure he found out...
Anything above 3 to 6mg on a sub ohm is going to be a lung killer.
But, everyone has to learn the hard way some times. I did. 12mg in a Kanger Subtank with stock .5ohm coil just about killed me.
I vape 3mg .5 to .8ohm at 35.5W (+/- 5-10W) in a TFv4.

The Kanthal I have is garbage, WULF SUB OHM, steer clear of it. It's Chinese garbage wire.
It's dirty and it tastes like crap even after cleaning it and dry burning. I was in a pinch and needed some, paid WAY too much for it.

I have a TFv4 Dual RTA deck coming so will be able to do a dual coil 26G NiChrome80 10 wraps each at .5ohm, seems to be my perfect go to.
I have a dual deck Tfv4. Lemme know how you get that 10 wrap nichrome squished in that little deck. 5 wrap .25 at 3mm is a snuggly fit ;)

robmidi

Member For 4 Years
Hi all, interesting reading. My wife and I are two years 'in' and are using iPV D2 mods, with Nautilus es at 1.6 ohms. Juices are 60/40 @ 6mg. I push about 12 watts. I have a Subtank Mini 2 in the pipeline with a box each of .5 and 1.2 ohm coils. It will be interesting to see how this all works out. We're all about flavor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tepid

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
The dual deck is not easy to work on. But I did get a 10 wrap coil in there with room to spare for more. However, it did not come out to .5 like I wanted. The leads are held down tight, but was hitting about .8 so redid it, at 8 wraps each. Here is pick of 10 wraps.

Attachments

• fe2ce1c8-0bf0-4277-8dc9-fe25446fc2c5_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    fe2ce1c8-0bf0-4277-8dc9-fe25446fc2c5_TapatalkEditedImage.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 45

VAPEROXX

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
The dual deck is not easy to work on. But I did get a 10 wrap coil in there with room to spare for more. However, it did not come out to .5 like I wanted. The leads are held down tight, but was hitting about .8 so redid it, at 8 wraps each. Here is pick of 10 wraps.
It gets easier to work on with practice my friend. ;)

trucked1

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Hey, this has probably been asked a thousand times, but I'm a rookie and want to do it right. Got a Kangertech Sub Box mini set up and was going to order some new coils, but really confused on what the difference will mean to me. Read that the .5 (sub ohming, I guess) will require a higher voltage and my 1.2's (have one in now, cranked to 18.5), but forgetting that difference, what will the difference be to me while vaping?

Also, since I'm already posting, I'm also a regular smoker and the vaping thing is two-fold for me: I like the process, the toys and the flavor, but it's also to quit smoking. With my setup as is, I've been told to not go over 6mg in juice or it will be harsh or overkill. Is this correct? If it were up to me, I'd be smoking the 24mg right now and then step down to try and give up cigs for good, but I heard that's a bad idea.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm 70 yrs old and I smoked for 58 yrs & quit the first time I hit my friends mod. I kept thinking about $185.00 -$200.00 a month in savings. Anyway I got a little antsy so I went to 6mg of Nic. that lasted a week. I have been nicotine FREE for 5 months now. You CAN do it and WILL do it son. Stick to it.

VU Sponsors