Become a Patron!

What song are you playing right now?

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
As much as I don't really like Rob Zombie or Marilyn Manson, & John5 is a weird ass motherfucker, he's a damn good guitarist. The fact that he plays Teles is just icing on the cake

Couldn't agree more. That always impressed me. Something in my brain won't let me play a tele lol. It's like an internal fear I couldn't make it sound right. Guess I ended up playing the stereotype. Had ESP, Kramer, Ibanez, and Jacksons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
And the one I want I'm not spending the cash on. George Lynch's snakes and skulls. God that's sweet.

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
And the one I want I'm not spending the cash on. George Lynch's snakes and skulls. God that's sweet.

I talked to the Fender custom shop once. They said they'd have to totally redesign the Tele to make it how I wanted it lol

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

That is a crazy story of that guitar many people think its name would be "snake thing or skull this" haha its name is "Mom"
:) that guitar "Original" was ghost built.. my all time favorite metal guitarist is Lynch

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
That is a crazy story of that guitar many people think its name would be "snake thing or skull this" haha its name is "Mom"
:) that guitar "Original" was ghost built.. my all time favorite metal guitarist is Lynch

Yep, my fave too. I figured you liked him from your name. You may have seen one of my posts in here were I hung out with him. His vibrato is almost inhuman and nobody makes a guitar scream like he does, his pinch harmonics are just nasty. Do you play?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Yep, my fave too. I figured you liked him from your name. You may have seen one of my posts in here were I hung out with him. His vibrato is almost inhuman and nobody makes a guitar scream like he does, his pinch harmonics are just nasty. Do you play?

Yes I do play Lynch's use of dynamics and hybrid picking is much a keen to Jeff Beck in a metal context the biggest mistake Metal guitarists make is not realizing that He is a master Hybrid picker. Even though I have progressed to more difficult playing over the years I still use Lynch as a benchmark for my Metal playing

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yes I do play Lynch's use of dynamics and hybrid picking is much a keen to Jeff Beck in a metal context the biggest mistake Metal guitarists make is not realizing that He is a master Hybrid picker. Even though I have progressed to more difficult playing over the years I still use Lynch as a benchmark for my Metal playing

Ditto, you nailed it.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Huge concert and everyone having the time of their life, not a single cell phone flash. Unheard of nowadays. Kids with their facebook selfies, times a changing -.-

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Huge concert and everyone having the time of their life, not a single cell phone flash. Unheard of nowadays. Kids with their facebook selfies, times a changing -.-

Damn kids. You can see the difference in all the YouTube videos from then to more recent.

FΛDED

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Damn kids. You can see the difference in all the YouTube videos from then to more recent.

lol ikr. I thought I was bad ass with my Motorola Razer in college and introduction of the iPhone (this cell phone era), but I have always still lived the moment at the events, fairs, flying to different countries, and various theme parks I go to, not so much thinking pictures were more important.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
@HvyMtl
Off the radar Metal listen to the song when the solo comes @ ( 3:03) up see if you know how he is getting this sound this one is way out there
I figure if anyone on here can get it you will :)

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
@HvyMtl
Off the radar Metal listen to the song when the solo comes @ ( 3:03) up see if you know how he is getting this sound this one is way out there

Wow if that's flipping the pickup switch I've never heard it done that fast and perfect.

Mowgli

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
It takes them a minute and a half to get rolling but once it gets going it's a great driving song.
Alvin Lee's guitar jumps in at about 3:20

Last edited:

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Wow if that's flipping the pickup switch I've never heard it done that fast and perfect.

Haha I knew you would get it. Its his own thing only person I have ever heard do it that way how he does it that is unique and no other setup works that I have tired he is a Les Paul player he turns the volume down on the neck pickup then uses the switch as kinda a stop switch but that sound is really wild.. he also always has a very small amount of chorus on but at the Board level not signal path to the amp :)

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
You trying to get me to get EMG's? Lol. That's beautiful. I remember when he first came out as a new young gun - he's always been really, really good.

Nahh in the early years he did not use EMG's I myself do not like them for my style as I Kinda play very starnge anD fusion like kinda

Mowgli

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Well I'm about to get sick
From watchin' my TV
Been checkin' out the news
Until my eyeballs fail to see
I mean to say that every day
Is just another rotten mess
And when it's gonna change, my friend
Is anybody's guess

So I'm watchin' and I'm waitin'
Hopin' for the best
Even think I'll go to prayin'
Every time I hear 'em sayin'
That there's no way to delay
That trouble comin' every day
No way to delay

Wednesday I watched the riot . . .
Seen the cops out on the street
Watched 'em throwin' rocks and stuff
And chokin' in the heat
Listened to reports
About the whisky passin' 'round
Seen the smoke and fire
And the market burnin' down
Watched while everybody
On his street would take a turn
To stomp and smash and bash and crash
And slash and bust and burn

And I'm watchin' and I'm waitin'
Hopin' for the best
No way to delay

Well, you can cool it,
You can heat it . . .
'Cause, baby, I don't need it . . .
Take your TV tube and eat it
'N all that phony stuff on sports
'N all the unconfirmed reports
You know I watched that rotten box
Until my head begin to hurt
From checkin' out the way
The newsman say they get the dirt
Before the guys on channel so-and-so

And further they assert
That any show they'll interrupt
To bring you news if it comes up
They say that if the place blows up
They will be the first to tell,
Because the boys they got downtown
Are workin' hard and doin' swell,
And if anybody gets the news
Before it hits the street,
They say that no one blabs it faster
Their coverage can't be beat

And if another woman driver
Gets machine-gunned from her seat
They'll send some joker with a brownie
And you'll see it all complete

So I'm watchin' and I'm waitin'
Hopin' for the best
No way to delay

Hey, you know something people?
I'm not black
But there's a whole lots a times
I wish I could say I'm not white

Well, I seen the fires burnin'
And the local people turnin'
On the merchants and the shops
Who used to sell their brooms and mops
And every other household item
Watched the mob just turn and bite 'em
And they say it served 'em right
Because a few of them are white,
And it's the same across the nation
Black and white discrimination
Yellin' "You can't understand me!"
'N all that other jazz they hand me
In the papers and TV and
All that mass stupidity
That seems to grow more every day
Each time you hear some nitwit say
He wants to go and do you in
Because the color of your skin
Just don't appeal to him
(No matter if it's black or white)
Because he's out for blood tonight

You know we got to sit around at home
And watch this thing begin
But I bet there won't be many live
To see it really end
'Cause the fire in the street
Ain't like the fire in the heart
And in the eyes of all these people
Don't you know that this could start
On any street in any town
In any state if any clown
Decides that now's the time to fight
For some ideal he thinks is right
And if a million more agree
There ain't no Great Society
As it applies to you and me
Our country isn't free
And the law refuses to see
If all that you can ever be
Is just a lousy janitor
Unless your uncle owns a store
You know that five in every four
Just won't amount to nothin' more
Gonna watch the rats go across the floor
And make up songs about being poor

Blow your harmonica, son!

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Haha I knew you would get it. Its his own thing only person I have ever heard do it that way how he does it that is unique and no other setup works that I have tired he is a Les Paul player he turns the volume down on the neck pickup then uses the switch as kinda a stop switch but that sound is really wild.. he also always has a very small amount of chorus on but at the Board level not signal path to the amp :)

Right, most just flip the switch, his was very unique. Thanks for sharing that, very cool.

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Nahh in the early years he did not use EMG's I myself do not like them for my style as I Kinda play very starnge anD fusion like kinda

I know, I jut meant since it was basically an EMG commercial lol. I don't use them, either, I've always had Seymour Duncan JB's in my guitars.

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Hank F. Spankman

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
@HvyMtl

Yeah, he was just flipping the pickup selector switch, or he had a kill switch

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Hung out with Steve at a bar, too. Humble guy for someone so phenomenal. I swear something happened that night because I could play much better from that night on lol. Never really got into Satch even though he has a great history as an instructor.

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Yeah, he was just flipping the pickup selector switch, or he had a kill switch

There's more to it like he said, it's obvious the way most players do it. This has subtleties in it. Nicely done.

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

I don't know why he's been on that phaser kick for several years but I hate it. And he certainly doesn't need it.

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Hung out with Steve at a bar, too. Humble guy for someone so phenomenal. I swear something happened that night because I could play much better from that night on lol. Never really got into Satch even though he has a great history as an instructor.

Luke is da man him here is my dedication to some of the great studio musicians
always loved this check it out

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I don't know why he's been on that phaser kick for several years but I hate it. And he certainly doesn't need it.

you mentioned playing MrScary you have to use a phaser . That idea of the phaser stuff started wtih EVH then Lynch Gilbert all those guys kept that going I agree I never liked the phase sound and never ever use it.. In fact I find over the years that its annoying :)

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
you mentioned playing MrScary you have to use a phaser . That idea of the phaser stuff started wtih EVH then Lynch Gilbert all those guys kept that going I agree I never liked the phase sound and never ever use it.. In fact I find over the years that its annoying :)

Agree, but anytime I've seen him play at a clinic he's got it on overkill. But man at his age he still rips. The only time it should be used is the intro to ain't talkin bout love. Take it out of the solo, too

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years

I love Trivia and the way some musicians actually took over for others its like this weird back world in the Studio world..
Example Dan Huff was the man that picked up for "Luke" when he started getting out of the STudio scene
Its mind blowing most people have no idea that between "Luke" ----> Dan Huff ---> Tim Pierce progression between these guys they have played on sooo many hit songs its literally Erie as hell

HvyMtl

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Agree, but anytime I've seen him play at a clinic he's got it on overkill. But man at his age he still rips. The only time it should be used is the intro to ain't talkin bout love. Take it out of the solo, too

Me I did go to one of his clinics a long, long time ago where all he had was one of those original line6 pods when they first came out. Didn't use phase and it was awesome.

VU Sponsors