Become a Patron!

What Prompts a Smoker to Switch to Vaping?

TW Tom

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Unlisted Vendor
What Prompts a Smoker to Switch to Vaping?
This entry was posted on 16th June 2016 by twus.

quit-smoking-tobcco-cigarettes-1.jpg

The Roanoke Times reported on a Virginia Tech Carilion researcher sharing in a $15 million National Cancer Institute grant, a proportion of which will fund a behavioral study on e-cigs.

The grant was awarded to ten academic institutions and Warren Bickel, a behavioral health researcher, who researches why and how people make choices, will receive a $2.6 million share of the grant to test four factors influencing people’s decision to choose an electronic cigarette over a traditional combustible tobacco cigarette.

The four factors are; nicotine dose, extra costs, smoke-free environments and flavors.
“If a person gets enough nicotine, doesn’t have to pay extra taxes, can use the e-cigarette in places where conventional cigarettes are banned, and has several flavor options, perhaps the person will choose vaping over smoking,” Bickel said in a news release. “Maybe it will only take one of those variables to influence a person’s decision, and maybe that’s the first step toward managing a continuously growing public health problem.”

The research uses a new methodology called Experimental Tobacco Marketplace. Volunteers will be able to choose different types of tobacco products under various conditions.

Scientists at some other institutions will investigate the benefits and possible risks of vaporized nicotine products.

“The overarching goal is to develop forecasting models to estimate the population health impact of different product regulatory schemes,”
Bickel said, “with the result of decreasing tobacco related mortality and morbidity.”

SteveS45

Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What prompted me to quit smoking was watching so many friends and family members suffer while dying from smoking related illnesses............

Whirlwind

Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Good question, simple for me,it was just curiosity.Since my first vape it has been over three months and i have not even thought about a cigarette.That is after 35 years of smoking about 40 unfiltered a day. I never even thought of quitting,truely a miracle.

Deucesjack

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
I was lucky when I started. I tend bar in a hipster neighborhood. I saw all these people vaping and I started to ask questions. I had a few very experienced vapers take me under their wing. They even went as far as to show me what websites were good to order from. I also had a great vape shop right across the street that I used for juice and coils from time to time. Not only did I enjoy the vape but I loved the comradery as well. This August will be a year that I have been smoke free and I couldn't be happier. My only minor complaint is if you get into vaping its just hard to stop at one mod. LOL. It hasn't even been a year and I have close to 20 mods, dozens of tanks, and a ton of juice. Oh well, it's still better than smoking.

Teresa P

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
But that carpet glue added so much to the wonderful flavor! :blech::teehee:
Was that stuff not NASTY??? If you didn't suck on that cigarette pretty much constantly, it would go out. I went through twice as many bic lighters after they started using that damn banded paper...

Markw4mms

#Team Jimi Supporter
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Was that stuff not NASTY??? If you didn't suck on that cigarette pretty much constantly, it would go out. I went through twice as many bic lighters after they started using that damn banded paper...
But we all know they're so much better for us than a vape.;):rolleyes:

cvcrcr99

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
My motivation in order:

1. People with holes in their throats and a voice box.
2. People walking around with oxygen tanks.
3. Talking to people who could barely breathe normally when having a conversation. See #2
4. Money
5. Smell

Sorry for any non-medical terms.

gingerbread

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
No motivation and didn't want to stop smoking - 7 years ago friend had to pretend to be a non smoker (that's another story),thus researched products available. Came across e-cigs. Told me. I brought some also. Hooked!
NB-I was a half a pack a day smoker for 20 years.

VU Sponsors