Become a Patron!

What makes e juice taste "dry"?

I am really hoping that someone can help me answer this question.

I am trying to make "Violet Candy" but can't seem to get that "DRY" aftertaste that I love from juices I have purchased. What ingredient am I missing?

I am a very heavy vapor (work from home) and have a good background with chemistry and baking. I really enjoy DIY, I like to tweek recipes for my taste and so far they've been awesome. Except for my All Time Favorite, Violet :-(

Please help me from going nuts over this!!! LOL

Thanks in advance...greyci

Frawg

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Some of the flavors just have a very dry taste to them. Alcohols, florals, and to me a lot of the chocolates. If you're looking for the dry taste, add something like one or two drops of a very mild light alcohol based flavor. Pear is a very light flavor and won't overpower much you put with it. Flavor West's brown sugar CAN give a you that dry down after effect, but it can also just sweeten things and make them less dry. One or two drops should be sufficient to dry out your flavor. Plus its a sugar so it should help you get closer to the violet candy flavor, at least that's what my baking background says.

SeaVape

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I found drops of lemon/lime juice help a dry taste with fruit flavors. A few drops of Vanillin also spices it up a bit with the citrus.

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
The Nicotine content also effects the dryness.

If you have recently changed nic % that could make a difference as well.

:D Thanks for the replies. Unfortuately none of those gave me the desired effect :eek:( I always loved "Chowards" Violet candies, they are a small square that had somewhat of a perfumey taste to them with an almost chalky aftertaste (that seems to be the best way that I can describe the "dryness after effect).

They were one of those things that you either loved or hated... I bought a bottle of Organic Blue Violet from a well known vendor back when I started vaping and eGos and Clearomizers were my mode of vaping. But hey, they got me off analogs! 1 year this thursday 8/21/13!!!! WoooHoooo

Since then I have progressed through many upgrades and have now been trying my hand at DIY'ing. I just can not get that complexity of the Organic Blue Violet taste duplicated. And seeing how much it costs between DIY and vendor purchased I just can't bring myself to buy it.

I am using 80vg/20pg or 90vg/10pg (any more pg than that does not agree with me), depending on the ejuice, with 6mg nic.

I'm stumped!!!! UGH, this is so frustrating. I even tried a bit of zebra stripe added as that seems to be a dry flavor and the above suggestions did not help either. Please don't get me wrong... I really appreciate all the input. I love the vaping community almost as much as I love vaping as there is an awesome quality of compraderie :eek:)

TY and have a Yummy Vapey Day!!!

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I know what you are describing. Inawera's Toni d' line's Shade Tobacco has a component to it that makes it very dry. I never thought of what makes it that way before, but I now some one who might know? All my mixes are very high vg content as well so it has nothing to do with that.

I miss understood your post the 1st time I responed. Hang in there.

The dryness may not be the only component in trying to replicate a purchased juice. Ther have been a lot of people try and replicate some of these flavors in the past, such as Bobas Bounty.

Last edited:

Cessnapix

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Flavourarts Bitter wizard is suppose to add dryness! You may want to give that a try!

Trimethyl Pyrazine, Used sparingly, Can also add a dryness to your juice.

Too much of some of these can mute flavors.

http://www.e-liquid-recipes.com/master-mixers-tips-and-tricks

Hope this helps

Edit; After rereading this thread you are trying to copy an organic voilet flavor.
If you are trying to keep it organic then the comments made by @Frawg would tend to be more in line with the dryness your getting, ie the floral voilet is probably exctracted with alcohol and has a dryness to this floral flavoring.

Last edited:

Smoky Blue

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Unlisted Vendor
Member For 5 Years
More PG? Distilled water?

that will make it moist (d water)

I found drops of lemon/lime juice help a dry taste with fruit flavors. A few drops of Vanillin also spices it up a bit with the citrus.

these both work.. just a drop or 2 of lemon, you do not want the lemon taste.. the vanillin is my fav.. specially since vg is sweet and wet to a lot of people.. not just for use in fruits :)

:D Thanks for the replies. Unfortuately none of those gave me the desired effect :eek:( I always loved "Chowards" Violet candies, they are a small square that had somewhat of a perfumey taste to them with an almost chalky aftertaste (that seems to be the best way that I can describe the "dryness after effect).

They were one of those things that you either loved or hated... I bought a bottle of Organic Blue Violet from a well known vendor back when I started vaping and eGos and Clearomizers were my mode of vaping. But hey, they got me off analogs! 1 year this thursday 8/21/13!!!! WoooHoooo

Since then I have progressed through many upgrades and have now been trying my hand at DIY'ing. I just can not get that complexity of the Organic Blue Violet taste duplicated. And seeing how much it costs between DIY and vendor purchased I just can't bring myself to buy it.

I am using 80vg/20pg or 90vg/10pg (any more pg than that does not agree with me), depending on the ejuice, with 6mg nic.

I'm stumped!!!! UGH, this is so frustrating. I even tried a bit of zebra stripe added as that seems to be a dry flavor and the above suggestions did not help either. Please don't get me wrong... I really appreciate all the input. I love the vaping community almost as much as I love vaping as there is an awesome quality of compraderie :eek:)

What all additives have you worked with on this so far?

I have not had the candy yet.. but I have played with the Violet Candy and I like it :)
this is my little bit, and everyone who has tried it likes it.. You can sub out my violet flavor for yours and see what happens..

Smoky's Violet Candy

6% Violet tfa
2% Marshmallow - toasted (TPA)
1% Brown Sugar tfa
1% Vanillin
.5% Em
.5% sweetener
.25% Lemon juice

I would not use the bitter wizard.. but try this and see if it might help out.. :)

Jimi D

Gold Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
What I've found with drying flavors is to simply add less.

chickenmonkey

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

You can try my parma violet recipe.

VU Sponsors