Become a Patron!

What level of nicotine is comparable to a cigarette?

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I can't remember. Had a coworker ask me. He just got into vaping yesterday.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
He's using 12 and so did I when I started years ago but if you took one hit off a cigarette, what level of nicotine would compare to one hit off an ecig?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GeorgeTz6

Member For 2 Years
He's using 12 and so did I when I started years ago but if you took one hit off a cigarette, what level of nicotine would compare to one hit off an ecig?

What cig and what atomizer, at what watts, you need to get very specific to get an answer for something like that...

Sent from my FRD-L09 using Tapatalk

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
What cig and what atomizer, at what watts, you need to get very specific to get an answer for something like that...

That's true. I'll change my question to how many mg of nicotine is in a cigarette?

GeorgeTz6

Member For 2 Years
That's true. I'll change my question to how many mg of nicotine is in a cigarette?

Insanely hard question for anyone to answer...
More so without knowing the exact cigarette

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Insanely hard question for anyone to answer...
More so without knowing the exact cigarette

My apologies. I thought I read something of the sort before and just forgot.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unless you use the nicotine salts the immediate impact will not be close to what you get from smoking a cig.
Vaping has a lower and slower absorption of nic than does smoking.
Prolly the closest to a full strength cig would be a MTL device such as a Juul or something similar with 20 mg or higher nic salt juice in it.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Let your co worker know that the immediate nicotine buzz will not be there with vaping unless using the nic salts juice in a MTL manner.

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

It depends on the cigarettes, and how someone inhales them... then, it depends on the atomizer, the power level, and HOW they vape -- I started with cigalikes after nearly 40 yrs of a pk a day or more, and STILL couldn't use over 6mg without becoming horribly nauseous.

In effect... there really is no comparison, there are just too many variables.

Andria

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
Years ago the conventional wisdom was that a full flavored cigarette (Like a Camel) would be comparable to 24 mg of nic and a light cigarette would compare to 18mg of nic.

But that was before todays more advanced gear and sub-ohm vaping.

Mykreign

Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the info everyone. I can use it to make an educated guess as to what mg of nicotine he's vaping in relation to his set up.

HondaDavidson

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Years ago the conventional wisdom was that a full flavored cigarette (Like a Camel) would be comparable to 24 mg of nic and a light cigarette would compare to 18mg of nic.

But that was before todays more advanced gear and sub-ohm vaping.
Yes but that was based on a 2ohm plus coil on a low wattage unregulated vape pen type battery..... and at time when 2.5ohm was considered dangerously low ohm vaping.. vaping at 1ohm or less suicidal. At least evidence of mental disorder...

We have come a long way in 3 or 4 years.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Yes but that was based on a 2ohm plus coil on a low wattage unregulated vape pen type battery..... and at time when 2.5ohm was considered dangerously low ohm vaping.. vaping at 1ohm or less suicidal. At least evidence of mental disorder...

We have come a long way in 3 or 4 years.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
You mean that vaping at under 1 ohm is not a sign of a mental disorder?

GKG2017

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
There is a chart on the internet somewhere. 0.3 nic is comparable to a ultra light cigarette. 1. and above is very excessive. Like smoking a Lark Cigarette or one with no filter .At least that's what they say. Who really does know. I don't.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
There is a chart on the internet somewhere. 0.3 nic is comparable to a ultra light cigarette. 1. and above is very excessive. Like smoking a Lark Cigarette or one with no filter .At least that's what they say. Who really does know. I don't.
Again it depends on how you vape.
Vape 12 mg at 5 watts in a MTL device vs at 50+ w in a clouds bro clouds device...
VERY different results.
Then throw nic salts juice into the picture....

Too many variables to give one definitive answer to how much nic vaped = 1 cig.

Last edited:

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

I smoked ultra-lights for 20+ yrs, which is why I had to start at 6mg, despite the brain trusts at the vape store selling me 18mg "because that's what everyone needs when they start." I'd still like to slap them, for those hours of nausea. And that was in a cigalike, an eRoll -- which is why I still say that it depends on so many factors, it's really impossible to draw a clear comparison.

Andria

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I smoked full strength cigs for 40+ years.
I started with a cigalike with the cartomizer loaded with 18 mg.
Was down to about 12 mg in a couple of weeks.
Then down to 6 mg for a few months then to 3 mg up till now.
I had to vape enough to be borderline nic sick to keep away from the cigs for the first month.

David Wolf

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
ECF Refugee
Studies have shown nicotine blood levels vary widely among vapers using the same setups so the answer is whatever nicotine level it takes for you to get the same satisfaction as smoking. Also MTL vapers typically vape high nic and less juice than DTL vapers. So between 3mg/ml (DTL, tons of juice a day) and 60 mg/ml (Juul pods MTL nic salts, a few puffs a day). Lol

UncleRJ

Will write reviews for Beer!
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reviewer
I was smoking those cheap assed little menthol cigars (the ones that look like a brown cigarette) with the filters removed.

And I made the switch with Cigalikes with 36mg prefilled cartomizers.

That, of course, was YEARS ago and now I have much better hardware and am down to 5mg of nic with a 0.36 ohm SS Clapton coil at or near 20 watts.

GeorgeTz6

Member For 2 Years
Soo, I'm probably a little late, but I found these two videos...

If you watch them both carefully and do some calculations, you'll have an exact answer

dcarpentier

Bronze Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I agree with the previous posts , too many variables to make a comparison. The delivery method is just too different.
But, if its for someone wanting to kick the paper-stick habit, then try to use the vape as a swapout for the cigs. If they still feel like they need a cig, then the nic level might be too low.. if they feel like they need to puke or lay down (nausea), then it might be too high.
Dont do cloud chasing on a 200 watt rig, save that for down the road when the cigs are long gone.
I kicked a 30 yr habit in one day with a refillable pen type and 6mg. After 6 months or so I noticed that I would have an occasional nausea so I stepped it back to 3mg. Since then Ive bumped up my hardware a little, but still use 3mg.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I kicked my 40+ yr 1+ PAD smoking in one week with 18 mg in cartomizers.

VU Sponsors