What is up with all the new crap?

JuicyLucy

My name is Lucy and I am a squonkaholic
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The intention of my reply is not to be confrontational but understand.

Why is it "problematic"? Why is someone who is wanting to try squonking a wanna be? Some don't understand mechs or are uncomfortable with them. The way I read your post is that squonking is only for long time vapers and newbies such as I should stay away from this hallowed ground of vaping.

I'd originally bought a Kanger drip box when I was just a few months into vaping. At that time it wasn't for me, but now that I've experienced more in vaping I can see the utility of squonking.

Not meant to be dismissive at all. Here is another way to say what I posted originally:

I see many people who have never squonked before ask about getting a regulated squonk mod but it is a problem because there are not very many on the market you can just buy and most of those regulated squonkers have issues

For the record, went straight from cigalikes to mechanical squonking - and am one of the few people that does not have a problem with a well-informed new vaper using a mech. Newbie does not automatically equal moron ;)

ChrisL

VU Donator
Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm personally looking forward to the "new" Smok TFV12 Prince tank. I'm going to run it on my Sigelei Kaos with all the pretty LED's. Why so cynical? If you like it, buy it. If you don't, don't. Keep it coming, China...

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
I wish a manufacturer would come up with an ironclad cigalike at an affordable price that would help more people convert

Smokers tend to flip out at a five dollar pod, even when they are spending $10 for a pack of smokes

AndriaD

Yes, I DO wear a mask! I'm vaccinated, too!
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I wish a manufacturer would come up with an ironclad cigalike at an affordable price that would help more people convert

Smokers tend to flip out at a five dollar pod, even when they are spending $10 for a pack of smokes

And no wonder, since those smokes do cost $10/pk in a lot of places -- most folks aren't going to ditch smokes before even trying vaping, so for a little while at least, you have to pay for both -- granted, that was one of my foremost spurs to hurry up and be done with smoking, because I COULDN'T afford both. But lots of folks would just write off whatever they've invested in vaping, and keep smoking.

Andria

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I started with Joytech’s cigalikes which lasted an hour or so before needing a recharge, moved to a ego C when those came out and it was s revelation for about 6 months, then moved to a mech because it was fun to dick around with, then moved to an istick for size & form factor. Finally got a RX200 because everything was moving torwards high voltage which got me to finally drop the $ on a Hexohm. But I found myself getting back into mechs which lead me to start hating dripping which naturally lead me to squonking.

Everything has gone in cycles but the last 8 years or so has made me become comfortable with what I like. There isn’t much I haven’t seen (only so many ways to invent the wheel). Ecigs are quite basic by nature of their use, put battery to wire to vaporize a liquid. The real growth is in stuff like making your own coils easier & for the masses & getting people to understand how to mix their own juices with interesting flavor combinations that start getting into cooking & science techniques.

tdlr; everything goes in cycles & after 8 years, I’ve come back to mechs & squonks and am quite happy. Learn how to make your own coils & ejuice

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I started with Joytech’s cigalikes which lasted an hour or so before needing a recharge, moved to a ego C when those came out and it was s revelation for about 6 months, then moved to a mech because it was fun to dick around with, then moved to an istick for size & form factor. Finally got a RX200 because everything was moving torwards high voltage which got me to finally drop the $ on a Hexohm. But I found myself getting back into mechs which lead me to start hating dripping which naturally lead me to squonking.

Everything has gone in cycles but the last 8 years or so has made me become comfortable with what I like. There isn’t much I haven’t seen (only so many ways to invent the wheel). Ecigs are quite basic by nature of their use, put battery to wire to vaporize a liquid. The real growth is in stuff like making your own coils easier & for the masses & getting people to understand how to mix their own juices with interesting flavor combinations that start getting into cooking & science techniques.

tdlr; everything goes in cycles & after 8 years, I’ve come back to mechs & squonks and am quite happy. Learn how to make your own coils & ejuice

I doubt if any retailers of hardware or ejuice want people to make their own coils or ejuice -- there's too much profit to be had in selling those fancy coils -- or even the simple little ones in the clearos i started with: $6/5-pak was too rich for MY blood! And that 1000% markup on ejuice? No way do retailers of that stuff want people learning to make their own!!!!!!

Andria

fartbubble

Silver Contributor
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
The Daedalus is a killer kit for people to make their own coils with, even if they’re not the most mechanically inclined. And I like the new version that is about to drop fixes some of the quirks of the first one.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Daedalus is a killer kit for people to make their own coils with, even if they’re not the most mechanically inclined. And I like the new version that is about to drop fixes some of the quirks of the first one.

And see, to me, a "kit" to make your own coils is just another retail ripoff -- I've been making my own with a 3/32 drillbit for over 3 yrs -- nothing more is needed.

Andria

f1r3b1rd

https://cookingwithlegs.com/
Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

^^^^
This right here!!

The market has done a great job servicing we the hobbyist. They have gone about as far as they can go, which is proven in this premises of this thread.
-nothing really new has been released in about a year.-

Thankfully they are going back to releasing some mtl gear and some good starter gear for converts.
But, nothing really in the inexpensive cigalike.

The past few weeks that I've responded to convert threads I'm still recommending the Nautilus mini or kayfun. Those pieces are at least 4-5 years old. Granted they tried and true. But I'm that time we've not come farther for them?

BAM crew

hellcatrydr

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Smok releasing the same shit in a different package is just following p4u's lead with the ipv2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 8 1/2, 9 3/4, 12 3/5.
They were worse than naked gun sequels
Hey HEY!!!
I am a very satisfied owner of the IPV-12 17/64. It has a pulsating vibration when it senses it's in my pocket near my..... ummm
Well anyway.... and it also has a bluetooth connection allowing me to take control of any Sybian within a 20' radius. :)
Totally worth it...

According to the instructions, I can also vape with it... o_O

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not meant to be dismissive at all. Here is another way to say what I posted originally:

I see many people who have never squonked before ask about getting a regulated squonk mod but it is a problem because there are not very many on the market you can just buy and most of those regulated squonkers have issues

For the record, went straight from cigalikes to mechanical squonking - and am one of the few people that does not have a problem with a well-informed new vaper using a mech. Newbie does not automatically equal moron ;)

Thanks for the clarification. I figured I was misunderstanding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Thanks for the clarification. I figured I was misunderstanding.

Certainly didn't mean anything derogatory towards anyone but the manufacturers, lol

Mainly frustrated because when a potential squonker asks: "What's a good regulated regulated squonker" - and most are looking to go under $50 or so - it's hard, even if budget isn't a concern

Also wish squonk mod makers would stop including shitty atties - see more grief with folks thinking they can fork out their money once and be happy with a "kit." Most will be terribly disappointed or feel ripped off, or both

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
Certainly didn't mean anything derogatory towards anyone but the manufacturers, lol

Mainly frustrated because when a potential squonker asks: "What's a good regulated regulated squonker" - and most are looking to go under $50 or so - it's hard, even if budget isn't a concern

Also wish squonk mod makers would stop including shitty atties - see more grief with folks thinking they can fork out their money once and be happy with a "kit." Most will be terribly disappointed or feel ripped off, or both
Thereby rendering the question:
What's more important, the mod or the atty?

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
IMO it's always the attie - but we all know about opinions ;)
Roger, everyone has a different one.
I think the construction quality and quality of materials is equally important from battery to coil (for safety). However, the atty is what gives you vape. So the atty is more important, the mod is just the power supply.

BAM crew

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
Roger, everyone has a different one.
I think the construction quality and quality of materials is equally important from battery to coil (for safety). However, the atty is what gives you vape. So the atty is more important, the mod is just the power supply.

BAM crew

I agree - but if quality of the vape experience is paramount in a limited budget situation, go for a quality attie IMO

I shake my head in sadness for the buyer whenever I see someone plunk down a $100, $200 or way more for mod then see they are waiting for a Velocity 2 clone in the mail, especially for squonking

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon
I agree - but if quality of the vape experience is paramount in a limited budget situation, go for a quality attie IMO

I shake my head in sadness for the buyer whenever I see someone plunk down a $100, $200 or way more for mod then see they are waiting for a Velocity 2 clone in the mail, especially for squonking
Oh definitely!!
Limited budget makes me tell someone to go for the attie first and either a good quality clone mech with good contacts or a good inexpensive regulated mod
Thankfully you can find quality gear without spending a mint these days if you really wanted to.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The velocity 2 is just a clone of a clone. The Tobecco velocity mini. Which was a quasi clone since velocity did not have a mini.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
The Velocitys really ought to be renamed, to "Empty Straw"... since that's exactly how they feel, to try and vape.

Andria

JuicyLucy

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
The velocity 2 is just a clone of a clone. The Tobecco velocity mini. Which was a quasi clone since velocity did not have a mini.

Just used Velocity 2 clone (which is not a great vape, there are better for the price) as an example because I see so many get that after shelling out big bucks after agonizing over which mod to buy :facepalm:

DonBaldy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years

I totally get that.

When someone asks for a good regulated squint mod there’s few answers and then they want cheap then the options drop to almost zero.

And yeah. Screw kits.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Thank goodness I've finally found my mod and tank and stocked up on them. I don't have to wade all the garbage out there searching. I certainly don't envy the newbies having all of today's ridiculous junk to sort thru.
Yep pretty much where I am at as well.
Pretty much settled down from my expansion into Squonking and still do my Subtank Minis.

Not really much at all that I am interested in getting right now.

The Cromwell

I am a BOT
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Not interested in any 3D printed mods.
Not interested in any mod with over 2 batteries.
Not interested in any atty over 22mm.
Not interested in touch screens or mods that light up.

I guess I am just an old fogey of vaping?

Only in vaping can one become an old fogey in 2.5 years?

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years

Since I finally seem to have gotten this Berserker working and not leaking, it gives me a great excuse for a new mod that can accommodate a 24mm atty without overhang. :D The Revengers look nice, but I dunno... 220w? that's like... overkill times 20! And as noted in the review, it really does run hot, so maybe it's overkill times 25!

But... maybe an Aegis. Those things seem to be just made for klutzes like moi. :)

Andria

f1r3b1rd

Staff member
Senior Moderator
VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
VU Challenge Team
Member For 5 Years
VU Patreon

Hate the touch screen idea.... Despise it.
I dont even like the new color screens on the DNA boards.
More shit to break when you drop it...which WILL happen often.

I do dig the 24 and 25 mm attys though.
Don't like the 3d printed thing, especially not at the prices they want for them.

I think LEDs look dumb.... For when you're jogging at night? That and the big screen is just more battery drain. Besides, all I want a screen to do is give me accurate resistance and power output.

I do dig the new parallel squonkbox from 528, but that's something we haven't seen other than a few custom mods.

BAM crew

Synphul

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'm not against mechs or new users who aren't morons using them. I just prefer regulated, I like consistency. One of the things I disliked about the ego pens, the vape would get weaker and weaker and weaker. I didn't necessarily want all 4.2v up front but certainly didn't want the weak shit for the last 1/3 of the battery. I like being able to get say around 3.8v throughout and when the battery is dead then swap it. It'd be nice if there were more regulated squonks and if they'd put the extra $1 into it and charge $2 extra for decent bottles that go with them. I don't get why companies like to include the cheapest component just to say they did knowing full well people will bitch and be unhappy.

A true carbon fiber mod body vs say 3d printed would be cool, it'd be durable and light at hell while looking amazing (not like stickers) but of course the cost. Yikes.

I think the daedalus is a bit of a ripoff but more from my point of view. At least the price is more reasonable now, places have them for $35-40. Might make for a stocking stuffer or something for a person new to making coils. I mean the concept is handy, use the batteries you already have on hand to power it. Pretty much idiot proof, winds claptons on its own. Not everyone has a power drill, not everyone has scrap lumber and saws with nails and screws laying around to throw together a quick base for anchoring swivels. A lot of folks are in the suburbs or metro areas, maybe living in an apartment or condo, want to vape but have never stepped foot in a home improvement or hardware store. I get it. Even though a drill is more useful it may not be to everyone and they just want to wind coils.

For me I always have scrap lumber hanging around, tools, drills etc and I'm comfortable using them for a variety of things. I've also known folks who I was impressed if they had a common and a phillips screwdriver. In that sense I was lucky already having most of the stuff. I'd rather there be more stuff on the market and maybe something for everyone than nothing at all. Efun's got them right now for $27, a lot more reasonable than $70-80.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
I just prefer regulated, I like consistency. One of the things I disliked about the ego pens, the vape would get weaker and weaker and weaker. I didn't necessarily want all 4.2v up front but certainly didn't want the weak shit for the last 1/3 of the battery. I like being able to get say around 3.8v throughout and when the battery is dead then swap it.

This EXACTLY -- no way in HELL could I deal with a vape that was getting all of a fresh battery -- I'd be on the floor. But the constant creep-down is the last word in annoying -- so you either build a coil with such high resistance you can tolerate the first hit or three and then feel completely unsatisfied for the rest of that battery's life... or youi build a normal coil (in my case, somewhere between 1.5 and 2 ohms) and hope you don't die when you take the first hit or two; enjoy maybe the next 5 hits, and then feel completely unsatisfied, the rest of the way. That's just STUPID, when there's this technology called ELECTRONICS, which can regulate it, and make it great from start to finish.

The constant creep-down was the WORST thing about the eRoll... even more annoying than the every-15-minute recharge/refill. Once I got an iTaste vv3, I knew I was really on to something!

And I'm with you also about why aren't there more regulated squonk mods that ordinary folks can afford? I've been PIFed a couple of squonk mods, and have a couple attys that will suffice for my strange tight-draw requirements.... but I dunno; at this point I'm considering that maybe squonking is no more my thing than cloud chasing is; cleaning all the squonker's innards to get rid of old tastes is a huge PITA. Finally got the Berserker RTA working without leaking, so that might be my alternative to my 2 unicorns (Achilles) -- it's got a REALLY tight draw, exactly as I like. Jury's maybe still out on flavor; currently using it with the shorter tank and chimney, and it's so-so... maybe the taller tank/chimney will give better flavor.

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Shorter chimney always gives better flavor. You would have better luck changing up your build Andria.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Shorter chimney always gives better flavor. You would have better luck changing up your build Andria.

Not much that can be changed with a 29ga 7-wrap 3/32 coil. I could possibly go with a 6 wrap 7/64 if I used 30ga, but with the shorter chimney, I was afraid the 30ga would get too hot.

Andria

Letitia9

Citrus Junkie
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Not much that can be changed with a 29ga 7-wrap 3/32 coil. I could possibly go with a 6 wrap 7/64 if I used 30ga, but with the shorter chimney, I was afraid the 30ga would get too hot.

Andria
Try 317l ss. Fantastic wire for fruit flavors or try a simple clapton build. Change it up a little.

AndriaD

VU Donator
Diamond Contributor
ECF Refugee
Member For 5 Years
Try 317l ss. Fantastic wire for fruit flavors or try a simple clapton build. Change it up a little.

Can't stand it. All I can taste from it is metal, like a coil that needs replacing, or a fork that had a curse put on it in the dishwasher. Or, if i don't taste the metal, all I taste is the cotton -- can't taste the ejuice AT ALL. Can't use anything with nooks and crannies because of my gunk monster juice.

Andria

Canadian Vaper

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
ECF Refugee
Reddit Exile
I wish companies would focus on quality and not quantity.. There really hasn't been anything new to vaping since TC for 316L and slide open tops for tanks.. Sure more watts and lower ohm coil heads or more batteries but thats just basic stuff.. Would love to see some innovation..

Pastorfuzz

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Patreon
You hit the nail on the head, it's all shit, especially everything coming from Smok. And none of its new. Companies are just taking the same shitty mod that came out a month ago and slapping hideous LED's all over them.
I agree the Smok mods are shit. I had 2 Smok Aliens and 1 Smok Stick crap out on me within 6 months.
My first mod was an IPV400. 14 months old and still works. I know the battery door sucks but I use a sleeve and it stays closed.
Also have 4 Hohmwreckers that still work flawless also.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
That and all the Smok/Wismec/etc. regulated stuff breaks down after a few months so everyone who uses those need another new $30-60 mod that often. So better have the "hot, new" mod every cycle or they'll move on to the next budget Chinese mfgr!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

My all day mod is an rx200, had it for like two years...

Polargirl

Silver Contributor
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Not to get political but I think this is a problem with China in general. There is no good reason why not a single company in China won't invest in securing their brand name globally for the long term making it the Coca Cola of vaping mods. Smok certainly has the money to do so.

The same with other products like flashlights that use the same batteries as vaping mods. China has long overtaken Surefire as the leading high performance flashlight producer yet that market keeps bouncing between Fenix, Nitecore, Olight and others. Good luck buying a Nitecore Tiny Monster from a brick and mortar store anywhere in the US. Same deal with phones like the Xiaomi Mi Mix.

The problem cannot possibly be no Chinese company is competent enough to do it despite being global leaders of some industries already or that west itself makes that too difficult to achieve.

The problem has to be in China with their government. They must be doing an awful lot to discourage long term foreign growth. Corruption will do that. That is why so many Chinese business tycoons are desperate to make a quick buck and get the money out of China before it is too late. Selling to cloud chunking trendies rather than nicotine users seeking healthier delivery methods is far more consistent with this fast and desperate Chinese business strategy.

The long term solution is more western companies like Evolv but that goes into too serious of politics about producing in the west in general again.

zephyr

Dirty Pirate Meg
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Unlisted Vendor
I see vaping as part hobby - for some people, the hobby is shopping and buying (that used to be me, I still look but can't afford to buy lol), for some like me it's tinkering with coils and mixing liquid, which is a much more affordable hobby :)

VU Sponsors