Become a Patron!

What is the max % of flavoring that you use?

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've purchased flavor concentrates in the past to boost the taste of premixed fluids, but have recently received $100 worth of flavor apprentice.
I'm finding myself comfortable with max VG recipes, and was taught by an avid vaper who uses 20% flavoring. He's an RY4 mixer, but some of my flavors aren't potent enough at 20%.
What I am wondering, is if going to 25-30% flavoring is just going to clog my coils faster.
I've just begun figuring out my taste, so I haven't produced any quantities large enough for long term steeping, which I know will make a difference. I notice the flavor pop after just 48 hrs. I've tried the microwave steeping mentioned on here @ 7 seconds, but that seemed to mute the same recipes that were produced by simply shaking.
Any recommendations on flavor enhancement would be greatly appreciated. I do have 2 rebuildable setups, but have not mastered wicking, and prefer to just be able to fill a tank & go.
Currently using a Presa 40w device, with a Kanger Subtank Mini, a Uwell Crown, and a Triton 2 that I purchased last night (LOVING IT!!). All with .5 ohm coils. I'm not even noticing much flavor change, by adjusting wattage. Looking forward to a temp control, 70w Presa.
Disclaimer: I've weaned myself from 2 packs of cigs a day, to less than 1 in a matter if weeks, so I know my sense of taste is still hindered.
I've tried a couple hundred dollars worth of flavors from a variety of vendors, and have found a preference for blueberry/blackberry from Totally Wicked as my ADV, with TFA's juicy peach and orange cream as my next two favorites. I'm gonna try a drop of marshmallow to increase the sweetness, but would also appreciate any recipe suggestions.
Thank you for taking the time to read & consider all that info! Lol

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Also... I'm using syringes. Nic is 3% and VG based, flavorings are PG based. Do I really need to calculate drops per ml? My recipe calculator doesn't allow drops/ml for base & for flavoring. Just one single input. I know viscosity would create different sized drops. Maybe I'm not even at 20%, considering viscosity...

MrScaryZ

VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 5 Years
I've purchased flavor concentrates in the past to boost the taste of premixed fluids, but have recently received $100 worth of flavor apprentice.
I'm finding myself comfortable with max VG recipes, and was taught by an avid vaper who uses 20% flavoring. He's an RY4 mixer, but some of my flavors aren't potent enough at 20%.
What I am wondering, is if going to 25-30% flavoring is just going to clog my coils faster.
I've just begun figuring out my taste, so I haven't produced any quantities large enough for long term steeping, which I know will make a difference. I notice the flavor pop after just 48 hrs. I've tried the microwave steeping mentioned on here @ 7 seconds, but that seemed to mute the same recipes that were produced by simply shaking.
Any recommendations on flavor enhancement would be greatly appreciated. I do have 2 rebuildable setups, but have not mastered wicking, and prefer to just be able to fill a tank & go.
Currently using a Presa 40w device, with a Kanger Subtank Mini, a Uwell Crown, and a Triton 2 that I purchased last night (LOVING IT!!). All with .5 ohm coils. I'm not even noticing much flavor change, by adjusting wattage. Looking forward to a temp control, 70w Presa.
Disclaimer: I've weaned myself from 2 packs of cigs a day, to less than 1 in a matter if weeks, so I know my sense of taste is still hindered.
I've tried a couple hundred dollars worth of flavors from a variety of vendors, and have found a preference for blueberry/blackberry from Totally Wicked as my ADV, with TFA's juicy peach and orange cream as my next two favorites. I'm gonna try a drop of marshmallow to increase the sweetness, but would also appreciate any recipe suggestions.
Thank you for taking the time to read & consider all that info! Lol
Depends on the strength of the flavoring...

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Depends on the strength of the flavoring...
Yeah, I've noticed that. I bought a dozen flavors.
Thinking I'm gonna have to go back to mixing some PG in, as a more effective flavor carrier...

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Yeah, I've noticed that. I bought a dozen flavors.
Thinking I'm gonna have to go back to mixing some PG in, as a more effective flavor carrier...
Does anyone have experience with the strength of TFA flavorings, vs Capella or others, in the same flavor?

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Welcome to the forum. Noah Genda (great moniker, BTW)!

And yes, it is the consensus that FA flavorings are more potent than most.

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Welcome to the forum. Noah Genda (great moniker, BTW)!

And yes, it is the consensus that FA flavorings are more potent than most.
Excellent! Do you have a preferred vendor?
(And thanx for the welcome!)

SailCat

Silver Contributor
Member For 5 Years
mamaj's is a forum fave as is Bulll City Vapor. Excellent service either way although the latter has a variety of flavor brands.

Make yourself at home; lots to see, do & learn here. There are experienced, knowledgeable mix-masters here (not I). Enjoy!

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
mamaj's is a forum fave as is Bulll City Vapor. Excellent service either way although the latter has a variety of flavor brands.

Make yourself at home; lots to see, do & learn here. There are experienced, knowledgeable mix-masters here (not I). Enjoy!
I've heard good things about Bull City. Thanks!
I started searching the forum before my TFA order arrived. Wanted to be prepared & not have to toss out failed batches.
Thanks for the info & timely responses!

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
I've found TFA Marshmallow to be nice at 1 drop per 10ml in a mix.
At 5 drops per 30ml it adds "texture" to the vape, but leans toward too sweet for me.

Word of caution, going too high on your flavors will mute them.

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I've found TFA Marshmallow to be nice at 1 drop per 10ml in a mix.
At 5 drops per 30ml it adds "texture" to the vape, but leans toward too sweet for me.

Word of caution, going too high on your flavors will mute them.
Marshmallow is a definite buy. I've discovered that I prefer the taste of kanthol over stainless. Switched fluids from my crown to my Kanger & found an improvement. I bought stainless & kanthol coils for my Triton 2. Switching them tomorrow, to experiment.
Question... Have you ever used TFA "Smooth"? If so, how do you use it?

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Marshmallow is a definite buy. I've discovered that I prefer the taste of kanthol over stainless. Switched fluids from my crown to my Kanger & found an improvement. I bought stainless & kanthol coils for my Triton 2. Switching them tomorrow, to experiment.
Question... Have you ever used TFA "Smooth"? If so, how do you use it?

I haven't tried using Smooth. Although I probably should. :/

It's supposed to take the sharp edges off some flavors.

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Might be worth trying with TFA Blackberry or the Cinnamon Danish. Could also simulate steeping, but we'll see. I bought 8 ml, to play with.
I've also found that I get used to flavors pretty quickly. (Chain vaping) If I switch tanks for just a few minutes, & then go back to my ADV, I can taste every bit of it again...

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

Puff Puff Pass... Have you tried TFA Mary Jane? @ what %? Just mixed some last nite, but haven't tasted it yet...

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Puff Puff Pass... Have you tried TFA Mary Jane? @ what %? Just mixed some last nite, but haven't tasted it yet...

No I haven't. I have a very limited flavor supply, about 55 flavors.
And I generally stick with what I know works for me, 4 or 5 flavor combos.

I do experiment when I have the time. But since I travel so much, I generally only have time for 2 or 3 recipes a month.

Don't be afraid to try something different. You never know how it will taste. I saw a recipe just tonight, that used 3% Vanilla Swirl to tone Orange down. I use 1% CAP - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. That's what works for me and my taste buds.

Keep in mind, until you've completely quit smoking. Your taste buds are going to taste things differently than those of us who have not smoked in months/years.

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Might be worth trying with TFA Blackberry or the Cinnamon Danish. Could also simulate steeping, but we'll see. I bought 8 ml, to play with.
I've also found that I get used to flavors pretty quickly. (Chain vaping) If I switch tanks for just a few minutes, & then go back to my ADV, I can taste every bit of it again...

Define chain vape LOL
I kill the battery on my MVP 3, my Evic VT, and at least 1 battery on my Evic mini. PER DAY

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year

I do experiment when I have the time. But since I travel so much, I generally only have time for 2 or 3 recipes a month.

Don't be afraid to try something different. You never know how it will taste. I saw a recipe just tonight, that used 3% Vanilla Swirl to tone Orange down. I use 1% CAP - Vanilla Bean Ice Cream. That's what works for me and my taste buds.

Keep in mind, until you've completely quit smoking. Your taste buds are going to taste things differently than those of us who have not smoked in months/years.
55 is a limited supply? Wow!!
The most complex mix I've tried is blackberry, blueberry, & juicy peach. The peach turned my ADV into heaven!
Next experiment is gingerbread with cinnamon danish. I bet some vanilla would throw some dynamics into that mix.
Thanks for the info!

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Define chain vape LOL
I kill the battery on my MVP 3, my Evic VT, and at least 1 battery on my Evic mini. PER DAY
I run a tank til it gets hot & then switch. But when my mod is in hand, pretty much every other breath is vape. Killed my MVP. Researching my next mod purchase lately. I really like the look & feel of the Presa. Plus it slips easily in & out of my pocket. My local vape shop doesn't have the 70w version yet, so I brought home the Triton 2 tank instead. Not at all disappointed, except for the fine threaded fill port. The o-ring engages quickly, so you have to be careful not to cross thread it. Other than that, I'd say it tops my Kanger Sub Mini for flavor, but not by much. It also produces the same cloud as my crown, at the same wattage, but with a shorter draw. That equates to battery life. The Crown is obnoxiously loud, too. Loving the Triton 2! It'll accept a shit ton of different coils, too.

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Here's a spreadsheet which gives suggested percentages of stand-alone flavorings. I don't agree with some of them, but it's a starting point:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1agXdua8bEp8MV4z1mn3qX4AXCS4P0RxQXcy2lDa7ccc/pub?gid=0
Awesome! Thanks!!
I've yet to compare drops per ml of my PG flavorings vs my VG nic & diluent. Dunno why my mix calculator doesn't allow a separate entry for each, but I've got it pretty much dialed in now, as far as taste preference goes. Still tweaking my less potent flavorings, but gonna buy some FA, to compare or blend with the TFA I got.
Thanks again!!

AmandaD

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I mainly use FA, and it's much more concentrated than TFA! I use weight, and as a general rule I weight all my flavorings 1ml/gram. When I used drops, most of my droppers were 33 drops/ml.

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I mainly use FA, and it's much more concentrated than TFA! I use weight, and as a general rule I weight all my flavorings 1ml/gram. When I used drops, most of my droppers were 33 drops/ml.
Definitely looking forward to FA! I've been using syringes & got pretty close on my first round of batches. Mainly mixing 30 ml bottles, but might have to break out my scale, once I've got my recipes down & wanna steep longer, with a bigger go to supply on hand. Just getting startedstarted on DIY, and the savings are phenomenal. I'm betting the ban will carry through, so I'm stocking up on everything, before it goes black market. One more tank, a new mod, and tons of coils coming soon!!

PuffPuffPass

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Definitely looking forward to FA! I've been using syringes & got pretty close on my first round of batches. Mainly mixing 30 ml bottles, but might have to break out my scale, once I've got my recipes down & wanna steep longer, with a bigger go to supply on hand. Just getting startedstarted on DIY, and the savings are phenomenal. I'm betting the ban will carry through, so I'm stocking up on everything, before it goes black market. One more tank, a new mod, and tons of coils coming soon!!

Learn to build your own coils too ;)

You can get 500 feet of 26 gauge Kanthal for $21.
My local B&M charges $10 for 6 feet.

Even if you waste 20% of that wire learning to build. You'll still get 6-800 builds out of what's left. How much are you paying per coil? :p

Heabob

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years

Smaller amounts work good to take the edge off and add a little body too.
Or even a bit of Marshmallow or Toasted Marshmallow.

Blueberry Shake, Blackberry Shake, etc.
I usually need around 5% TFA Vanilla Bean + 5% TFA French Vanilla Deluxe + 1-2% TFA Malted Milk and/or TFA Dairy Milk.
Well It's pretty close anyway...

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Learn to build your own coils too ;)

You can get 500 feet of 26 gauge Kanthal for $21.
My local B&M charges $10 for 6 feet.

Even if you waste 20% of that wire learning to build. You'll still get 6-800 builds out of what's left. How much are you paying per coil? :p
That's next! I've only tried once, but didn't get the wick quite right. I've watched a few videos since then, tho...

Rin Vapes

Silver Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
I try to stay less than 10%, no more than 15%. I need 80% VG anyway because I mainly drip and have a PG sensitivity. Anything more than 20% PG when I drip, causes issues.
Flavor wise, too much flavor gives me vapor's tongue pretty quickly and I tend not too need high amounts anyway

Noah Genda

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
I try to stay less than 10%, no more than 15%. I need 80% VG anyway because I mainly drip and have a PG sensitivity. Anything more than 20% PG when I drip, causes issues.
Flavor wise, too much flavor gives me vapor's tongue pretty quickly and I tend not too need high amounts anyway
I'm sure my recipes will change, once I'm done with cigs. I've only had 4 or 5 today...

VU Sponsors