Become a Patron!

What is the best wire and gauge to build with for monster clouds?

dEaDoNaRrIvAl~WaRoNfLeSh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
I am learning to build my own coils but I am not sure what wire (brand/type) and gauge to use and would for sure take advice on any thing build related.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
What RDA are you going to build on?

from Droid Maxx using Tapatalk

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Cool..I like the Tobh..pic is of Tobh with 26g parallel coils..but I also like a 4 wrap of 24g kanthel wire on a 3mm bit that measured .15 ohms on the meter..produced good clouds and vapor..what mod you using? What amp battery?
3c725434310472bac2f3c260d8078407.jpg

dEaDoNaRrIvAl~WaRoNfLeSh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Cool..I like the Tobh..pic is of Tobh with 26g parallel coils..but I also like a 4 wrap of 24g kanthel wire on a 3mm bit that measured .15 ohms on the meter..produced good clouds and vapor..what mod you using? What amp battery?

I have a 4nine mod and a Panzer mod

dEaDoNaRrIvAl~WaRoNfLeSh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years

Oh yeah and I use the 18650 battery

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Do you have a ohmmeter? A good understanding of basic electronics and ohms law is also good for safety...for example ohms law states my .15 ohm dual coils {24g} will pull 28 amps at 4.2 v thereby I have to use a IMR high drain battery rated at least 30 amps to be safe..

dEaDoNaRrIvAl~WaRoNfLeSh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Do you have a ohmmeter? A good understanding of basic electronics and ohms law is also good for safety...for example ohms law states my .15 ohm dual coils {24g} will pull 28 amps at 4.2 v thereby I have to use a IMR high drain battery rated at least 30 amps to be safe..

I have an ohmmeter coming from amazon any day now. I am very new to this and I appreciate any and all advice. Thanks!

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
No problem! I learned from others the same way..as long as use test your builds on the ohmmeter and obey ohms law you'll be blowin huge clouds in safety.. Very enjoyable!

immortalhope

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Using my plume vail w/ 26g supernano 12 wraps, eats juice like crazy, just got Atty v2 w/ 22g sleeper 4 wrap, good clouds with both of these RDA`s

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Oh yeah and I use the 18650 battery
Better invest in real batteries, and don't buy them from eBay or Amazon; as there's more unsafe clone batteries on there than legit, safe product..

I'm disappointed that nobody else chimed in on this; as GOOD batteries are the most important part of the equation here for a beginner.

dEaDoNaRrIvAl~WaRoNfLeSh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
Better invest in real batteries, and don't buy them from eBay or Amazon; as there's more unsafe clone batteries on there than legit, safe product..

I'm disappointed that nobody else chimed in on this; as GOOD batteries are the most important part of the equation here for a beginner.
What do you recommend as far as batteries go? I bought mine at my local shop they are Efest IMR18650

ButtKickers

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
What do you recommend as far as batteries go? I bought mine at my local shop they are Efest IMR18650
I don't super sub ohm; so for me those would suffice. If you plan on going below .3 ohms; I'd say you're better off with sony vtc5 batteries. That said, you can kick some big ass clouds in the .3-.4 range. IMO super low sub ohm vaping is about bragging rights more than anything. You can achieve an efficient HOT coil at almost any resistance rating; given the proper build, and power supply.

My opinion is just my opinion though.

Giraut

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I'll let you in on a little secret: you can make big clouds even with a dirt-cheap Stardust clearo. The trick is to do a lung hit and blow the vapor out quickly. If you don't have a large air inlet on your atty, just open you lips even so slightly when taking a draw, to mix outside air with the vapor coming out of the atty.

Another trick to impress your friends: blow across a powerful light source. It'll make the cloud look bigger.

Now you're all set to play with the big boys with any vaping hardware :)

dEaDoNaRrIvAl~WaRoNfLeSh

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
How many mAh? Trying to determine which efest battery you have exactly. They don't make their own batteries, only rewrap other manufacturer's bats.
It says, it is 2000 mAh, 3.7 V and it says high drain no idea on amps

joowan

Founding Vendor
Founding Vendor
VU Vendor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
You can make clouds on just about any wire, the trick is knowing what you're doing with it.

But as a starting point, 24-26gauge should be just fine.

Pushing clouds needs high quality batteries though, 10amps may not be enough.

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
I think the purple Efest 18650 is rated at 30 amp continuous with a 50 amp pulse..my sister uses that batt in her BCV Surfrider mod with a .23 ohm dual coil build in the 22mm Stillare with good (safe!) results so far...she does love to vape, bless her heart! Lol

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
How many mAh? Trying to determine which efest battery you have exactly. They don't make their own batteries, only rewrap other manufacturer's bats.
How do you know that for sure?

BoomStick

Gold Contributor
Member For 5 Years
Efest lies. The batt they sell that says 35A (right on the wrapper) is only 20 amp continuous. I won't buy a batt from a company that uses someone else's product, changes the wrapper then calls a 20a cdr batt a 35A. Fuck efest. If you're gonna re-wrap ok, but don't bullshit me about specs. Best buy from a known vendor also. No eBay or amazon batts for me. Just my opinion.

nightshard

It's VG/PG not PG/VG
VU Donator
Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Efest lies. The batt they sell that says 35A (right on the wrapper) is only 20 amp continuous. I won't buy a batt from a company that uses someone else's product, changes the wrapper then calls a 20a cdr batt a 35A. Fuck efest. If you're gonna re-wrap ok, but don't bullshit me about specs. Best buy from a known vendor also. No eBay or amazon batts for me. Just my opinion.
The 2500s are 20A and the 2100s are 30A

smacksy

Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
The 2500s are 20A and the 2100s are 30A
And the purple 26650 is 3500 mAh and rated at 32A cont/64A pulse..specs must be close for they power my .15 ohm builds( pulls 28A) in my BFM without any problem almost all day on a single charge..beats the orange MNKE I was using all to hell..I like these purple 26650 Efest batts alot better...

Spinhat

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
Member For 5 Years
what about kanthal vs nichrome and others?

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
I've said this dozens of times. Any gauge will work.....it is airflow and technique that make for "monster clouds".

MKPM

AMG
Diamond Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
ECF Refugee
How do you know that for sure?

I have re-wrapped many of those.....some are Samsung, some are LG...some are sanded clean of any markings.

VapingGecko

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
This seemed to turn into battery spec talk, I too, am new to coil building, and looking for advice on best size wires, as progress w/ more complex wire wrapping.

Kennedy 22 Clone
RX200 device

All I have ATM, is 26 gauge Kanthal, I used for Subtank RBA and a tube mod.

kickboxerwalker

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Member For 1 Year
as was stated earlier, the best wires to start with ar 24-28 guage kanthal and nichrome. start with simple micro and macro coils then progress to parallels and twisted. dont be afraid to experiment. there are alot of videos and experienced builders here that you can draw knowledge from.

VapingGecko

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
Member For 2 Years
Unlisted Vendor
Thanks.... I purchased some Kanthal D 38 wire last night (1000ft), and am looking at some ribbon wire today.
I think I'm gunna go w/ A1 or D Kanthal ribbon instead of nichrome, not sure.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
When I fancy chucking clouds, I like parallel coils, I find 26G to be sufficient to fog up a room and produce more than enough vapour to make the whole house misty.

For simplicity, some 24G coils, say 6/7 wraps a side, 3MM ID dual coils for around 0.3 Ohms? Try simple coils first, wicking and surface area are important as well as airflow for clouds.

Im using a limitless rdta with .4 at 0.64 ohm's and its a fucking beast i'm switching from a rx200 to a rx300 soon so ill probably go for a 22 gauge ni200 wire (for tc) at 5 wraps so ill just see where it goes from there :)

KingPin!

In my defence, I was left unsupervised ^^
VU Donator
Platinum Contributor
Member For 4 Years
VU Challenge Team
Reviewer
How do you guys know how many wraps to a certain ohm numbers?

Steam engines wire wizard give you a close indication for a target build :) know that it's for a single coil though so if you mount in parralel halve it I try to target a resistence of 0.4 on it (minimum of 0.3) so when I mount dual coils in parralel it will come out at 0.2 (or 0.15 lowest)
If I'm building a single coil though I'll go straight for that 0.2 resistence

Mount it on an ohm reader before firing tends to come out close to the wire wizard +\- 0.05

After that it's just practice once you've done a few you get to know how many wraps for a build type
I tend to always check though as i always forget unless I've written it down ;)

Last edited:

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Im using a limitless rdta with .4 at 0.64 ohm's and its a fucking beast i'm switching from a rx200 to a rx300 soon so ill probably go for a 22 gauge ni200 wire (for tc) at 5 wraps so ill just see where it goes from there :)
Whatever you do, don't get 22 gauge Ni200- to hit 0.1 you would need 25 wraps around a 3MM bit, and that is for a single coil.

You wouldn't be able to use 5 wraps, it would be far too low for the mod to read or fire. I would get 26 gauge at the maximum, that would still need over 10 wraps for 0.1. Depending how low your mod fires of course you can go lower than this if you want safely, it just is a bugger to get a high enough resistance with Ni200.

I would recommend SS, or if you want smoother TC Titanium. With SS you can still make some really beefy coils if that is your thing that aren't right at the mods limit.

conanthewarrior

Gold Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Steam engines wire wizard give you a close indication for a target build :) know that it's for a single coil though so if you mount in parralel halve it I try to target a resistence of 0.4 on it (minimum of 0.3) so when I mount dual coils in parralel it will come out at 0.2 (or 0.15 lowest)
If I'm building a single coil though I'll go straight for that 0.2 resistence

Mount it on an ohm reader before firing tends to come out close to the wire wizard +\- 0.05

After that it's just practice once you've done a few you get to know how many wraps for a build type
I tend to always check though as i always forget unless I've written it down ;)

I've been building for a long time now, and if I go from my standard type of build, I still always check steam engine, it is a fantastic tool. Sometimes I do it backwards, as in build my coils, and then check steam engine to make sure the resistance is around where it should be if I am using a regulated mod, but for mechs I always check steam engine first.

Subohmer82

Member For 4 Years
Member For 3 Years
If your going to be using a mech mod, VTCs are the only batteries i have ever used, they hold up really well to sub ohm and super sub ohm builds, i liked .08 to .15 builds on mechs a long time ago, vtcs were the only battery i used, very dangerous limits but it kept me off the analogs, regulated dual 18650 box mods are more accessible now and it is my cup of tea since 2014, box mods you can build higher, safer, and run more wattage to get to your sweet spot, with mechs you gotta find your sweet spot with ramp up time and heat flux, build safe and know your amp limits and refer to moochs battery specs for reference

Pegasus Vapor Academy also has good batteries. They're re-wraps of other companies batteries but from the A bin. They even have the recommended watts/ohms written on the side for the type of mod you're gonna use them in.

heateris

Bronze Contributor
Member For 4 Years
Pegasus Vapor Academy also has good batteries. They're re-wraps of other companies batteries but from the A bin. They even have the recommended watts/ohms written on the side for the type of mod you're gonna use them in.

Not on Mooch's list --- no can do. Plus why pay $20 for two? You can find all the decent LG and Samsung batteries for $5-8 each.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was given some as a gift so I had no idea how much they cost. The only batteries I've personally bought have been the vtc4 & 5a's and a couple of samsung 25r's.

Hi guys...

Any one can recommend a build for massive clouds? going to be used on a bonza or drop ada, mod will be hexohms v3. how many wraps would be achieve this? would probably be using n80 fused clapton 28ga x3 with a 36ga wire. or will be using a 22ga wire.

Be good to hear your thoughts?

VU Sponsors